PDA

View Full Version : Nolan's Arm

01-10-2008, 09:33 AM
What is the deal with Nolan's arm? What's inside that wrap? Looks odd.

jacone21
01-10-2008, 10:51 AM
I heard that he had Patrick Davidson under that wrap. But that could just be a rumor.

Ignatius07
01-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Somebody said it could be covering a tender (and recent) tattoo, which makes sense. Whatever it is, I was heartened by his strong play yesterday. Other than getting played badly by Christmas on that one 3-pointer, he played encouragingly.

DukeBlood
01-10-2008, 11:25 AM
I think he is the only Freshman that looks to improve game by game. Really wasn'nt impressed with him the first few games and now seems to be really doing a solid job out there. Maybe he just made a few minor adjustments but looks good to me. Still has a ways to go before he reaches Singler.

Singler is great and has pretty much stayed Great. King, Well he has had his bad days(Cornell game)

Mike Corey
01-10-2008, 11:49 AM
What is the deal with Nolan's arm? What's inside that wrap? Looks odd.

He's got a bruise that won't go away, so that's just protective covering.

Agreed that it looks odd...kinda like a cigarette sleeve on a James Dean shirt.

TillyGalore
01-10-2008, 12:17 PM
He's got a bruise that won't go away, so that's just protective covering.

I kind of thought that was the case. It looks like he's wearing a donut, the bruise being in the opening of the donut, so that if he gets hit in that location the impact is dispersed to the area surrounding the hole of the donut thereby preventing further injury to the bruise.

At least that is what I recall from my athletic training days oh so many years ago.

greybeard
01-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Maybe he is getting acclimated to college life. Encouraged that he did well his first semester at one of the stellar academic institutions in America. Or maybe, . . . .

Classof06
01-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Nolan's had a tattoo since high school and at first he simply covered it up, which I'm guessing was at Krzyzewski's request. But I have no idea why he's wearing the pad, I just doubt its for the tattoo because he's had it for a while now, at least since the season started.

ArtVandelay
01-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Nolan's had a tattoo since high school and at first he simply covered it up, which I'm guessing was at Krzyzewski's request.

I can't imagine that's true. Boozer had that giant bear tat on his arm (which was pretty awesome, btw) and J-Will had some serious ink as well, and they were never covered up. Unless K is getting crotchety in his old age.

SilkyJ
01-10-2008, 02:10 PM
I heard that he had Patrick Davidson under that wrap. But that could just be a rumor.

hahaha. POTD!!!

Maybe he is getting acclimated to college life. Encouraged that he did well his first semester at one of the stellar academic institutions in America. Or maybe, . . . .

what are you talking about

Nolan's had a tattoo since high school and at first he simply covered it up, which I'm guessing was at Krzyzewski's request.

Didn't notice that he covered it up before. I really doubt K asked him too (unless its offensive or something, which is doubtful. nolan's a classy guy from a good family) seeing as how we've had guys with lots of exposed tattoos before: booz, maggette, jwill, dahntay, dockery...

Uncle Drew
01-10-2008, 02:16 PM
While I have no ink, I have designed hundreds of tattoos for other people to get. I have designed all types of images and words but I have yet to have anyone request a Tattoo tattoo. I wonder why?

http://www.madcowprod.com/fi04.jpg

Mike Corey
01-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Jim Sumner is the best person to ask about this, but at least in the past decade, Coach K has not required anyone to cover up tattoos, nor has he forbade anyone to add tattoos to their appearances while at Duke.

His fiercest restrictions have recently been to hair (re: Kyle Singler and Lance Thomas pre-Duke.)

vango
01-10-2008, 03:24 PM
I agree with the donut over a bruise theory. Played some football in my day and had that arrangement atop some stitches once and covering a "stone" bruise on my forearm.

Or maybe he's experimenting with a Gatorade patch from the sports med. dept. to remain hydrated during the game. Dunno....

DevilCastDownfromDurham
01-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Whatever it is, it seems to be working. Can we get some for the rest of the team? ;)

vango
01-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Whatever it is, it seems to be working. Can we get some for the rest of the team? ;)

Yeah, sorta likght the lightning patch in "The Natural." :p

NovaScotian
01-11-2008, 11:54 AM
i thought it was for his ipod

dukestheheat
01-11-2008, 01:04 PM
i thought it was for his ipod

novascotian, i had heard it was a patch for a tattoo (this is out of my world, the whole tattoo thing and patches and all that...) but we were kicking it around the other night as to what it could be and a thought i had was 'well, he could fit an iPod in that thing while he's out there playing!' hahahaha.

dth.

ThatDukeFan1
01-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Nolan's had a tattoo since high school and at first he simply covered it up, which I'm guessing was at Krzyzewski's request. But I have no idea why he's wearing the pad, I just doubt its for the tattoo because he's had it for a while now, at least since the season started.

coach k wouldn't ever request a player to "cover" up a tattoo, unless it was in some way offensive.

it's probably some sort of tender spot, that he doesn't want to get banged up.

Fish80
01-11-2008, 03:15 PM
It is the patch - he's trying to quit smoking. :)

devildeac
01-11-2008, 07:25 PM
It is the patch - he's trying to quit smoking. :)

He is asking about Nolan, not Newton:D

Grey Devil
01-11-2008, 07:35 PM
....is an image of his father. He explained it in a recent episode of "Inside Basketball with Coach K" that focused on the the three frosh. Nolan showed it to the camera (it was pretty impressive from what I could see) and talked about how he had it done in high school to honor his dad.

Under those circumstances, I doubt that Coach K would have him cover it up.

Grey Devil

OZZIE4DUKE
01-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Today Wojo said Nolan has a bruise on his arm and the patch is just protection for it. Nothing serious, and it should get better as the season goes on.

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Much like Shelden kept a cheeseburger on his arm during the '05 ACC Tourney, Nolan's packing a McGriddle sandwich just in case he needs a quick pick me up during games.