PDA

View Full Version : Kenny George is Big

billybreen
01-10-2008, 09:26 AM
In yesterday's NYT, a cool article about UNCA's Kenny George (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/09/sports/ncaabasketball/09asheville.html?em&ex=1200114000&en=5d4198a615bce0f2&ei=5087%0A).

acciconoclast
01-10-2008, 11:26 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com/images/photos/live/19-3unca505537110.jpg

Tyler Hansbrough to star in remake of Incredible Shrinking Man??

DUKIECB
01-10-2008, 11:46 AM
That is almost beyond words. Just ridiculous!

blazindw
01-10-2008, 11:48 AM

If you saw the highlights on Sportscenter, they were fantastic. If you didn't, you missed an 11-second fast break with him catching an alley oop and dunking it without leaving the ground.

That is a whole lot of man right there

AtlBluRew
01-10-2008, 11:52 AM
I saw the highlights, but WOW that picture really tells the story!

riverside6
01-10-2008, 12:27 PM
It is worth noting that Hansbrough dunked on George. You can see the dunk here (http://www.scacchoops.com/forms/tt_NewsBreaker_External.asp?NB=1031) (scroll down).

Indoor66
01-10-2008, 12:41 PM
It is worth noting that Hansbrough dunked on George. You can see the dunk here (http://www.scacchoops.com/forms/tt_NewsBreaker_External.asp?NB=1031) (scroll down).

Did you note the Psycho-T Shuffle in conjunction with the dunk? He walks.

riverside6
01-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Most definitely, I actually responded in the comments of my post and said the same thing.

tweeze
01-10-2008, 01:08 PM
he actually jumps to the side of him not over him and george basically didn't try to stop him.

did anyone see in the highlights were UNC had a fast break where George was under the basket and blocked four straight UNC shots without even jumping.

Uncle Drew
01-10-2008, 01:14 PM

My God, I couldn't afford to feed or clothe the guy. I'm not sure I could afford to buy him deodorant! Tyler has always had a young looking face. But that picture really looks like a 5th grader playing against a highschool player.

EarlJam
01-10-2008, 01:19 PM
As you know, I'm no fan of UNC or "Wacky, Nutty T" or what ever they call the Beaker look-alike, but...........

Walk or not, that play and dunk was AWESOME. :eek:

-EarlJam

Carlos
01-10-2008, 01:24 PM

In the mystery that is the travelin' man, Hansbrough manages to walk not once, but twice on the same play. Watch when he he gets the ball and his left foot is his pivot foot. He then drops his right foot back and lifts his left as he starts the move - all of this before he starts his dribble.

Back and to the left... back and to the left...

I'm wondering why the refs even bother to inconvenience the guy with making him dribble at all.

patentgeek
01-10-2008, 01:27 PM
My impression of watching the highlights: my two sons have several hoops and football video games in which the gamer can "create a player", and they have often created a player of the maximum height and weight allowed, who then mixes in and plays with the other players on the screen. The difference in size between Kenny George and everyone else on the court looked just like one of these video games.

Uncle Drew
01-10-2008, 02:03 PM
As you know, I'm no fan of UNC or "Wacky, Nutty T" or what ever they call the Beaker look-alike, but...........

Walk or not, that play and dunk was AWESOME. :eek:

-EarlJam

http://www.mikkelricky.dk/billeder/Beaker.jpg

Ha! Dude you kill me man!! Me, me, me, me, me, me! THAT'S what he was saying last year after he got busted in the mouth. I couldn't figure it out until now!

And Billy the title of this post should have been......"Kenny George is big, yeah yeah, yeah! He's not small, no, no, no. LMAO!

grad_devil
01-10-2008, 10:53 PM
UNCA is about 15 minutes down the road from the college where I teach. There gym was(is?) undergoing some repair, so they came to our gym to practice.

One of my best friends is an athletic trainer who was on hand for their practice, so I went down and checked them out.

He is big. Really big. I wandered near him after their practice. I'm 5' 11", and I barely, BARELY came up to his rib cage. It was crazy. He dunked throughout the practice while barely leaving the floor.

He's had crazy health problems, along with the pituitary issue mentioned in the NYT article linked by BillyBreen.

--grad_devil

jimsumner
01-10-2008, 10:59 PM
"If you didn't, you missed an 11-second fast break with him catching an alley oop and dunking it without leaving the ground."

Yes, but he did have to get up on his tip-toes.

BTW, how long before we have a why-didn't-K-recruit-this-guy-thread?

heath_harshman4
01-10-2008, 11:10 PM

you mean when emmit smith gets his #50 UNC jersey on and takes a few steps and throws it down between the wide open spaced goal posts that are Kenny George's arms?

Uncle Drew
01-10-2008, 11:21 PM
"If you didn't, you missed an 11-second fast break with him catching an alley oop and dunking it without leaving the ground."

Yes, but he did have to get up on his tip-toes.

BTW, how long before we have a why-didn't-K-recruit-this-guy-thread?

Okay Jim, I'm trying to learn here from your previous posts.

A. Duke knew he wasn't going to leave western North Carolina the summer before he entered school.

B. He doesn't speak English very well.

C. Kevin Love was Duke's first choice but his dad is loco.

D. Duke did recruit him, but he felt UNCA had a better big man program than Duke and even Georgetown.

You DO know Duke was his favorite team growing up, but Duke didn't even take a serious look at the guy! No wait, he hasn't pulled down 20 rebounds against Duke yet!

billybreen
01-11-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm 5' 11", and I barely, BARELY came up to his rib cage. It was crazy.

5'11"? Why were you wearing heels in a gym?

grad_devil
01-11-2008, 01:28 PM
5'11"? Why were you wearing heels in a gym?

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk...How quickly forget what a model specimen of masculinity I am...

UrinalCake
01-11-2008, 01:50 PM
The only other players I've seen with this kind of height have been rail thin (Manute Bol, Shawn Bradley, even Yao). The potential of someone with his frame is staggering. How in the world would Duke defend against this guy? We might as well defend the four other players and just let him do whatever he wants, because once he gets the ball none of our players could do anything to stop him.

Clipsfan
01-11-2008, 01:59 PM
I think what ends up hurting him the most is his conditioning. It's hard to move that much mass around for all that much of the game. He's apparently also had several issues with his knees etc and that can't help his overall mobility.

Dukiedevil
03-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Kenny George is huge! Winthrop-UNCA on espn2. He looks like Hagrid from the Harry Potter movies

mgtr
03-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Kenny George is big, but UNCA is losing to Winthrop by 16 with 3:30 to go in the game.

BigTedder
03-08-2008, 01:43 PM

he sure did....and travelled like hell when he did it....

DukeDevilDeb
03-08-2008, 02:58 PM
In the mystery that is the travelin' man, Hansbrough manages to walk not once, but twice on the same play. Watch when he he gets the ball and his left foot is his pivot foot. He then drops his right foot back and lifts his left as he starts the move - all of this before he starts his dribble.

Back and to the left... back and to the left...

I'm wondering why the refs even bother to inconvenience the guy with making him dribble at all.

So far as I can tell, they NEVER inconvenience Hansbrough by making him dribble! They let him walk all the time!

BlueBlood112883
03-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Too bad Jenkins was out of his world today, and Winthrop pulled off the upset. I'd loved to see George in the NCAA's, but alas its the NIT for Eddie B and the Bulldogs. Rough to have your season end to a team you swept during the regular season.