PDA

View Full Version : McRoberts to NBDL

tweeze
01-09-2008, 10:54 PM
I guess it is good for him to get some pt but it is never a good sign to get sent down.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/idaho/mcroberts_080109.html

Jeffrey
01-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Hi,

I do not think it's a bad sign for one to get sent down to the D League. Look at the average time an NBA player spends in the D League and how much more and better they play upon their return. Player turnover in the D League is tremendous. Their rosters are changing almost daily. I doubt Josh will be there that long.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Truth
01-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Hi,

I do not think it's a bad sign for one to get sent down to the D League. Look at the average time an NBA player spends in the D League and how much more and better they play upon their return. Player turnover in the D League is tremendous. Their rosters are changing almost daily. I doubt Josh will be there that long.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

What is the average time an NBA player spends in the D League? Any prime examples of recent players pre vs. post D League stats to demonstrate improvement?

tweeze
01-10-2008, 12:50 PM
I think he should put up some huge numbers there b/c looking at game stats I see guys with much less skills putting up huge numbers. The games often get in to the 120s. For example Kris Lang puts up numbers in the NBDL.

Jeffrey
01-10-2008, 02:01 PM
I think he should put up some huge numbers there b/c looking at game stats I see guys with much less skills putting up huge numbers. The games often get in to the 120s. For example Kris Lang puts up numbers in the NBDL.

Hi,

I strongly agree. IMO, many D games are akin to watching a pick-up game.

IMO, the D time should be really good for Josh's confidence, strength, rehab, etc.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Jeffrey
01-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Hi,

What is the average time an NBA player spends in the D League?

Less than two weeks!

Any prime examples of recent players pre vs. post D League stats to demonstrate improvement?

Here's an example of a PG who spent about 10 days in the D League in December:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/player?statsId=4304

Best regards,
Jeffrey

bhd28
01-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Both Travis Outlaw and Martel Webster were sent to the NBDL previously by Portland with pretty good success (both are 11+ppg 4-5rpg guys now).

Clipsfan
01-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Both Travis Outlaw and Martel Webster were sent to the NBDL previously by Portland with pretty good success (both are 11+ppg 4-5rpg guys now).

Not only that, but both of them have the chance to be really good (they're both really young too). Basically, going to the NBDL isn't a death sentence.

tweeze
01-10-2008, 05:39 PM
I do think that McBob is in the future plans of the Blazers not as a starter but as a key reserve, his athletisms and passing ability could be used by any team.

hondoheel
01-18-2008, 12:31 PM
An update on Josh's progress in the NBDL from draftexpress:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Josh-McRoberts-227/

MikeS
01-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Doesn't sound too good for him right now, I bet he is regreting leaving Duke now.

Clipsfan
01-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Wow, that was a harsh critique. I wonder if it is based more upon his reputation or upon the way he actually played (how much bias?) but either way he doesn't seem to be doing well. Maybe he should talk to C-well, who said in the article the other day that he blew his shot at the NBA because he thought he was entitled to it and went in with a bad attitude when he was drafted in the second round.

allenmurray
01-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Wow, that was a harsh critique. I wonder if it is based more upon his reputation or upon the way he actually played (how much bias?) but either way he doesn't seem to be doing well. Maybe he should talk to C-well, who said in the article the other day that he blew his shot at the NBA because he thought he was entitled to it and went in with a bad attitude when he was drafted in the second round.

C-Well shared that same story with the campers at the C-Well/NateJames Basketball camp last summer. It had a big impact on some of the kids.

I hope the fact that they are both Duke employees now doesn't keep them from holding their own camp (I'm thinking they might work the Duke camp insead). My son has gone to both. He had a lot of fun at the Duke camp, but it was weak on instruction. He learned a lot more at the James/C-Well camp.

dukeENG2003
01-18-2008, 12:58 PM
I watched a lot of that game last night (Idaho Stampede versus the Fort Wayne "Mad Ants"; until I realized Cavaliers Spurs was on TNT instead), and the review was spot on. He looked TERRIBLE. He was disinterested, lazy on defense and clueless on offense. His shot, which was never very good, was horrible too (he's shooting about 28% from the field so far). One of his field goals was a viscious dunk. . . on nobody (the defender played classic "ole" defense). Take that away, and he was 1-9. He's rebounding ok, but thats about all. I wouldn't look to see him play for the Trailblazers anytime soon.

hurleyfor3
01-18-2008, 01:06 PM

You're telling me this guy is still playing professional basketball?

http://www.deaconarchive.net/image/opponents/krislang.JPG

Devilsfan
01-18-2008, 01:33 PM
We could use it for our bigs.

hondoheel
01-18-2008, 01:34 PM

Actually seems to be held in high regard, although at age 28 it better be soon or never. Might be better off picking up a nice paycheck in Europe.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kris-Lang-5126/

"All in all, Lang is a useful player who might even have a chance to get called up by some NBA team looking for a backup center who brings defense, rebounding, intelligence, and consistent effort whenever he’s called upon. He’s not a super talented player, but there is a lot to be said for the consistency he brings to the table. Some of the biggest teams in Europe are waiting in the background in case he decides to cross back over the Atlantic again."

hq2
01-18-2008, 03:09 PM
None of this surprises me at all. McBobs was a physically talented player with a lousy attitude and few skills. Although his inside defense (passable) and
rebounding could be useful, overall, I don't think Duke would be any better if he were still here. Looks like he's well on his way to becoming another Chris Burgess; an athletic 6-10 white boy with no basketballs skills who washed out in the NBA. Maybe he and Burgess can go play together overseas!

Classof06
01-18-2008, 03:29 PM
None of this surprises me at all. McBobs was a physically talented player with a lousy attitude and few skills. overall, I don't think Duke would be any better if he were still here.

Gotta disagree with you on that. With McRoberts Duke is arguably the best team in the nation. As of today I feel confident saying Duke (and Tennessee) are two teams a notch below the "Big 4" but better than the rest. I believe Duke and Tennessee are the 5th and 6th best teams in America (in no order). With McRoberts, Duke is in that top 4, IMO.

dukeENG2003
01-18-2008, 04:00 PM

http://www.deaconarchive.net/image/opponents/krislang.JPG

Does he still do that frog dance after a dunk?

We most definitely would be a top tier team if we had McBob back. Remember, compare him to the guy who's place he would take in the starting lineup. I most definitely think he is more skilled offensively than Lance Thomas (as far as passing and ball handling, neither is a very good shooter), and his defense and rebounding are comparable.

Nobody is saying he's better than Singler, but if we could play BOTH of them, we would be quite formidable, and nobody would question our toughness inside or rebounding. I'm impressed as anyone else with our rebounding for our size, but he would help. He still does average ~7.0 rebounds per game in the NBDL.

However, another year under his belt would probably hurt his draft status even worse than two years already did.

MikeS
01-18-2008, 04:06 PM
With McRoberts I think we are undefeated still. He did score about the same as Singler, Henderson, and Nelson are this year who are all held in great regard. He was an underachiever but far from a liability.

keithg
01-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Even harsher critique:

2. For every player in the D-League Showcase who busted his back end to impress the overseas scouts and 30 NBA teams studying the event, perhaps no one did as much damage to his reputation as Josh McRoberts.

His body language blurted, "Why do I have to be here?" on Tuesday and Thursday night, one more in a string of performances that have left people in the NBA and D-League asking: Does the rookie out of Duke want to play basketball anymore?

McRoberts, a 6-foot-10 forward with impressive passing skills, needs to get over where he thought his basketball career would be and make the best of where it is. He was one of the top-five high school players in the nation, a freshman at Duke whom some executives believed would've been a first-round pick had he left school after one season. After a disappointing sophomore season, McRoberts turned pro and dropped to Portland with the 37th pick of the second round.

McRoberts, a cheerleader for the Northwest Division's first-place Portland Trail Blazers, treated his assignment to Idaho like a deployment to Baghdad. Despite playing just three games this season, McRoberts resisted the chance to work on his game in Idaho. To go scoreless Tuesday night in 31 minutes and come back with 2 of 10 shooting that included more airballs and mindless basketball insulted his teammates, coaches and a slew of scouts.

Most believe his two-year guaranteed contract was more a product of his childhood friendship with Greg Oden, than a testament of his talent.

"He'd better figure out fast that Oden will make some new friends," one D-League coach said.

When a player with a guaranteed contract comes down, he's an immediate target for players trying to make a name for themselves. They'll challenge him. On a nightly basis, McRoberts is getting humiliated in the D-League. "If you take away the name, the contract, the school, and just judge him on what you're seeing: He looked like the worst player in the building," one Western Conference personnel director said.

Said an Eastern Conference scout, who had watched him regularly at Duke, "If he keeps this up, he will be out of the league in two years. (McRoberts) better wake up before it's too late for him. It's a shame because he has some talent."

ugadevil
01-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Even harsher critique:

2. For every player in the D-League Showcase who busted his back end to impress the overseas scouts and 30 NBA teams studying the event, perhaps no one did as much damage to his reputation as Josh McRoberts.

His body language blurted, "Why do I have to be here?" on Tuesday and Thursday night, one more in a string of performances that have left people in the NBA and D-League asking: Does the rookie out of Duke want to play basketball anymore?

McRoberts, a 6-foot-10 forward with impressive passing skills, needs to get over where he thought his basketball career would be and make the best of where it is. He was one of the top-five high school players in the nation, a freshman at Duke whom some executives believed would've been a first-round pick had he left school after one season. After a disappointing sophomore season, McRoberts turned pro and dropped to Portland with the 37th pick of the second round.

McRoberts, a cheerleader for the Northwest Division's first-place Portland Trail Blazers, treated his assignment to Idaho like a deployment to Baghdad. Despite playing just three games this season, McRoberts resisted the chance to work on his game in Idaho. To go scoreless Tuesday night in 31 minutes and come back with 2 of 10 shooting that included more airballs and mindless basketball insulted his teammates, coaches and a slew of scouts.

Most believe his two-year guaranteed contract was more a product of his childhood friendship with Greg Oden, than a testament of his talent.

"He'd better figure out fast that Oden will make some new friends," one D-League coach said.

When a player with a guaranteed contract comes down, he's an immediate target for players trying to make a name for themselves. They'll challenge him. On a nightly basis, McRoberts is getting humiliated in the D-League. "If you take away the name, the contract, the school, and just judge him on what you're seeing: He looked like the worst player in the building," one Western Conference personnel director said.

Said an Eastern Conference scout, who had watched him regularly at Duke, "If he keeps this up, he will be out of the league in two years. (McRoberts) better wake up before it's too late for him. It's a shame because he has some talent."

If that's all from an article, you might want to just throw up the link to avoid any copyright problems. If that's your own assessment, nice writing!

keithg
01-18-2008, 04:35 PM
Actually it was at the bottom of the "Quin in D-League" article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-lastshot011808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Sorry I did not include link earlier.

MikeS
01-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Josh McRoberts needs to get his head out of you know what. Just look at a guy like Shavlik Randolph, who because of injuries hasn't played much yet he has given it his all and doesn't believed he is entitled to a damn thing. The worst part is that Josh has much more talent than a guy like Shavlik. Wake up Josh if you ever want to smell the coffee again.

I don't think a coach is the guy who can get to him. His boy JJ needs to give him a talking to.

uncwdevil
01-18-2008, 04:40 PM
With McRoberts I think we are undefeated still. He did score about the same as Singler, Henderson, and Nelson are this year who are all held in great regard. He was an underachiever but far from a liability.

There was speculation that McRoberts' attitude (which seems to be coming to the forefront even more in the NBDL) was hurting the team last year. If that's true, then perhaps we wouldn't be a better team with him this year.

Now, the attitude might have been a result of the losing, which we hopefully won't have as much of this year, so who knows...

JBDuke
01-18-2008, 05:31 PM
You're telling me this guy is still playing professional basketball? ...

I think you were just looking for an excuse to post that picture again...

hurleyfor3
01-18-2008, 05:32 PM
I think you were just looking for an excuse to post that picture again...

*ding ding ding*

Clipsfan
01-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Josh McRoberts needs to get his head out of you know what. Just look at a guy like Shavlik Randolph, who because of injuries hasn't played much yet he has given it his all and doesn't believed he is entitled to a damn thing. The worst part is that Josh has much more talent than a guy like Shavlik. Wake up Josh if you ever want to smell the coffee again.

I don't think a coach is the guy who can get to him. His boy JJ needs to give him a talking to.

I don't know that Josh has much more talent than Shav. Most of what people (including Josh) base his ability on is his HS rep, and Shav was also top of his class in HS (before he got hurt). Shav has a lot of ability, if only he could stay healthy.

CDu
01-18-2008, 05:41 PM
There was speculation that McRoberts' attitude (which seems to be coming to the forefront even more in the NBDL) was hurting the team last year. If that's true, then perhaps we wouldn't be a better team with him this year.

Now, the attitude might have been a result of the losing, which we hopefully won't have as much of this year, so who knows...

I agree with MikeS and you both. I think MikeS is right that with McRoberts, we'd be undefeated. I'll go further: I think that, with McRoberts, we'd be among the favorites to win it all, rather than just being one of the teams in that "2nd tier."

I think this is EXACTLY the type of team that would have been great for McRoberts. With King, Singler, and Smith coming in and with Henderson and Nelson playing better, we now have enough offensive weapons such that McRoberts doesn't have to carry the offense (something he wasn't suited to do). At the same time, his abilities in the post would augment our perimeter players' strengths. Imagine Josh drawing a double-team and kicking out to King or Singler. Imagine McRoberts stepping to the free throw line and throwing lobs to Henderson. More importantly, I think McRoberts would provide the interior defensive presence that the team may be missing against better teams. Instead of having to go with Thomas, Zoubek, and McClure, we could go with a trio of McRoberts, Singler, and King (or go small). And we'd have Thomas, McClure, and Zoubek all providing depth inside if needed.

That said, I agree with uncwdevil in that it appeared he had an attitude problem last year. I suspect that the losing and the expectations and burden of carrying a team that lacked experience and offensive weapons was too much for him.

MikeS
01-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Shav was known out of HS more as an outside big who could shoot a few threes and had a good jump shot while McRoberts was known just for being a freak athlete for a guy his size, I would say McRoberts showed that off more then once at Duke we didn't really see what Shav was known for at Duke.
Except for that great game he had in the semis against UCONN.

CDu
01-18-2008, 05:45 PM
I don't know that Josh has much more talent than Shav. Most of what people (including Josh) base his ability on is his HS rep, and Shav was also top of his class in HS (before he got hurt). Shav has a lot of ability, if only he could stay healthy.

Some differences are that McRoberts performed very well against stiffer competition in high school. Shav generally played against greatly inferior competition. This was somewhat illustrated in their performances at the McD's game. McRoberts shined, while Shav was an afterthought. Shav's high school rating dove substantially his senior year (because of poor play against tougher comp), whereas McRoberts was considered a Top 5 recruit going into college.

Shav had talent, but he was different. McRoberts was a better leaper, more aggressive, a better ballhandler, and better passer. Shav MAY have been more skilled as a shooter and post scorer (maybe), but it's hard to know do to injury. If I had to guess, I'd say McRoberts was the better talent. Certainly the more versatile talent.

MikeS
01-18-2008, 05:46 PM
Our leading score this season has just over 13 pts per game at that is right around what McRoberts averaged. I think McRoberts could be used kind of like how the Lakers use Lamar Odom as a guy who can play inside but is used to facilitated the offense through passing and drawing defenders.
Defense however is the main area where we could use him, just to get rebounds. I don't think Blair would have dominated us like he did if we had McRoberts still.

McRoberts
Singler
Nelson
Henderson
Paulus

Those are some atheletes to go along with Scheyer, King, Smith, McClure, and Thomas.

MikeS
01-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Some differences are that McRoberts performed very well against stiffer competition in high school. Shav generally played against greatly inferior competition. This was somewhat illustrated in their performances at the McD's game. McRoberts shined, while Shav was an afterthought. Shav's high school rating dove substantially his senior year (because of poor play against tougher comp), whereas McRoberts was considered a Top 5 recruit going into college.

Shav had talent, but he was different. McRoberts was a better leaper, more aggressive, a better ballhandler, and better passer. Shav MAY have been more skilled as a shooter and post scorer (maybe), but it's hard to know do to injury. If I had to guess, I'd say McRoberts was the better talent. Certainly the more versatile talent.

man I remember watching that McDonalds game with McRoberts just saying damn we had a NT locked up with him along with JJ and Shelden. I think McRoberts got his reputation for outplaying Oden in HS and Handsborouu in AAU.

CDu
01-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Our leading score this season has just over 13 pts per game at that is right around what McRoberts averaged. I think McRoberts could be used kind of like how the Lakers use Lamar Odom as a guy who can play inside but is used to facilitated the offense through passing and drawing defenders.
Defense however is the main area where we could use him, just to get rebounds. I don't think Blair would have dominated us like he did if we had McRoberts still.

McRoberts
Singler
Nelson
Henderson
Paulus

Those are some atheletes to go along with Scheyer, King, Smith, McClure, and Thomas.

Agreed. McRoberts would be an asset on both offense (with his athleticism, post skills, and passing ability) and defense (with his size, rebounding, and shotblocking). And he would give us two very talented "bigs", with three or four guys capable of providing solid minutes in support.

It would take a lot of pressure off the team. Right now, if Thomas and Zoubek aren't effective (which is unfortunately common now), we have to go small. With McRoberts, it'd be very unlikely that he'd be ineffective, and if so you still have the option of filling time with Thomas.

That said, he's not here, so oh well.

weezie
01-18-2008, 09:34 PM
That said, he's not here, so oh well.

Right. Listen up, he's history. He didn't measure up. There's no "me" in team. Bye bye, see ya.
Please, can we put this one to bed now?
Let's go Devils....

mgtr
01-19-2008, 05:25 PM
McRoberts is playing right now (opposite Md-UNC) on the NBA channel. I watched part of the game, disbelieving all the criticism of his D-league performance. McRoberts should be a star in this game, instead I wonder why he is playing. The most positive statement I can make about him is disinterested. What a shame. Somebody needs to knock him upside the head. He could have had a V8!

MikeS
01-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Maybe he heard all the critics, he had his best game in the NBDL yet.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20080119/IDABAK/livestats.html

going 8 0f 9 for 16pts.

Lotus000
01-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Locker.

Room.

Poisson.

(pardon my puns)

Mudge
01-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Right. Listen up, he's history. He didn't measure up. There's no "me" in team. Bye bye, see ya.
Please, can we put this one to bed now?
Let's go Devils....

Actually, I believe there is an "m" and an "e" in "team"... now, as for an "I", I don't think you'll find one, hence the more traditional version of this trite phrase.

Mudge
01-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Locker.

Room.

Poisson.

(pardon my puns)

What does McRoberts have to do with distributions? Are you referring to his passing ability? And why would he show that off in the locker room?

Mudge
01-20-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm wondering if someday, we'll see a Benetton advertisement, celebrating diversity*, featuring a trio of former Duke players playing for the Benetton Italian league team: Chris Burgess, Shavlik Randolph, and Josh McRoberts-- 'course, with Shav's comments last year, and Benetton's fairly vociferous support of gay rights causes, Shavlik might not accept Benetton's offer, when his NBA career is done.

*- That would be religious diversity with Mormons, Baptists, and Catholics represented.

MikeS
01-20-2008, 04:49 PM
I think with McRoberts passing and dunking ability along with his atheletic moves he should join the Harlem Globtrotters before he plays in Europe.

dukemath
01-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Locker.

Room.

Poisson.

(pardon my puns)

What does McRoberts have to do with distributions? Are you referring to his passing ability? And why would he show that off in the locker room?

Ha! Ha! That was funny to me. Although it sounds a little fishy.

DukeDevilDeb
01-20-2008, 08:51 PM

I agree that, if players were plastic, we'd be better off with Josh... but he was a real downer last year... a bit of a whiner, and someone who wanted to be in the center of every play. I can't remember him getting very many shots that weren't dunks. Fro myself, I'm glad he's gone. I think the mojo that this team has wouldn't be here if McBob was.

MrBisonDevil
01-28-2008, 01:46 PM
McBob's numbers seem to be on the upswing in the D-League.
http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/index.jsp?player=josh_mcroberts

I wonder if he received an attitude adjustment since the his bashing 2-weeks ago.

Clipsfan
01-28-2008, 02:08 PM

Shav's ranking dropped drastically more because of the injury he had during the summer before his senior year, if I remember correctly. He was hurt during the camps and wasn't able to perform as well.

Clipsfan
01-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Ha! Ha! That was funny to me. Although it sounds a little fishy.

Wow, that's an even worse pun...