PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mallett to Transfer

blazindw
01-09-2008, 03:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3188170

According to this article, it's likely that he will end up at Tennessee if they hire former Michigan OC Mike DeBord and QBs coach Scott Loeffler. However, Texas A&M, Arkansas and UCLA are also rumored to be on the list

While I think he will end up with the Vols, do you think Coach Cutcliffe gives him a call to try and sell Duke? The boy's got a cannon for an arm, and he has some experience already playing for a top-tier program.

As a Michigan fan, I'm sad to see him go, but I also think we should take a shot at him. The worst that happens is that he says no.

Bluedog
01-09-2008, 03:36 PM
His dad said: "He's going to enroll this semester, so we've got to get moving."

Does Duke even allow for mid-year transferring for freshman? I'm 99.9% sure the answer is "no" b/c they didn't allow displaced Tulane students to apply to transfer to Duke second semester and they had to wait until the end of the yr to apply. So, it would appear that Duke would have no chance anyways....not that he was planning on considering Duke.

Donald, at least this probably helps Michigan's chance of landing Pryor since he won't have to compete for PT at all now.

Ann Arbor Devil
01-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Surprising how little disappointment is being felt here at U-M over Mallett's departure, even though he leaves the QB cupboard pretty bare, is undeniably talented and would be a coup for Duke to land (rumors are Tenn or UCLA, however).

This is b/c the guy seems like an immature prima donna, barks at both coaches and teammates, and was reportedly telling the latter "I'm outta here" even during the bowl game.

Rodgriguez basically said he was tired of "recruiting" Mallett to stay, he wouldn't return calls or attend recent team meetings. The fan base seems to feel like Coach Rod was appropriately asserting control over his new team by not pandering to a pampered "star."

Patrick Yates
01-09-2008, 09:41 PM
First, if Michigan, or any Big 10 team, wants to field a real football team, go into the stands at any SEC football game. Pick 11 girls at random. Letting them play Iron Man style, they don't lose a single game in the Big 10. They might not get scored on.

Secondly, UM is full of it. Mallet is no prima donna. Rich was getting ready to screw this kid hard. Michigan will begin running the shotgun spread immediately. The ENTIRE system is predicated on a mobile quarterback. Mallet is a 6-6 245 lb pro style dropback pocket passer. Why would he stick arround to let Michigan install a system that downplays his strengths and emphasizes his weaknesses.

It is despicable what the UM fans are trying to do by running this kid down. They want him to stay in case they do not get Terrelle Pryor. If he signs, and Mallet sticks arround, Mallet never sees the field again. Instead, he will leave now so that he can learn a new system, which is best for the kid.

Lay off.

Not that it matters. Big 10. IRRELEVANT.

Patrick Yates

RelativeWays
01-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Yikes! College Football is serious business.

norduck
01-09-2008, 09:49 PM
First, if Michigan, or any Big 10 team, wants to field a real football team, go into the stands at any SEC football game. Pick 11 girls at random. Letting them play Iron Man style, they don't lose a single game in the Big 10. They might not get scored on.

Secondly, UM is full of it. Mallet is no prima donna. Rich was getting ready to screw this kid hard. Michigan will begin running the shotgun spread immediately. The ENTIRE system is predicated on a mobile quarterback. Mallet is a 6-6 245 lb pro style dropback pocket passer. Why would he stick arround to let Michigan install a system that downplays his strengths and emphasizes his weaknesses.

It is despicable what the UM fans are trying to do by running this kid down. They want him to stay in case they do not get Terrelle Pryor. If he signs, and Mallet sticks arround, Mallet never sees the field again. Instead, he will leave now so that he can learn a new system, which is best for the kid.

Lay off.

Not that it matters. Big 10. IRRELEVANT.

Patrick Yates

So, what is your point?

Ann Arbor Devil
01-09-2008, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE=Patrick Yates;82076]First, if Michigan, or any Big 10 team, wants to field a real football team, go into the stands at any SEC football game. Pick 11 girls at random. Letting them play Iron Man style, they don't lose a single game in the Big 10. They might not get scored on.

Um, didn't Michigan just beat a certain SEC team in their bowl game? You may have heard of them, defending national champs with a Heisman-winning QB or something like that. I think Tebow is still picking the dirt out of his helmet.

That said, I do agree the Big 10 was way overrated this year and OSU and the Illini were exposed in their bowl games.

And exciting to have a new coach at Duke with proven success in the SEC. Maybe we can get some of those Ben Watsons of the world (Patriots TE who started at Duke but transferred to Georgia) to come on board an exciting offense.