PDA

View Full Version : The Baskets are Still 10 Feet High.

Kewlswim
03-12-2007, 02:49 AM
Hello,

I was not sure where to put this, so I figured maybe it was time for a new thread. I read in a lot of threads about Duke's most recent losses and how not to take VCU lightly. I agree with both, Duke has recently lost and one shouldn't take VCU lightly. However, the teams Duke lost to recently: Maryland, UNC, and State were all on rolls of their own and they were in the ACC. It is Maryland that is effectively put together in such a way to give Duke fits. Carolina is Carolina (I know that is a shame, isn't it). State went on a roll beyond all rolls. What I am trying to say here is that the losses were not "soft" losses, losses to teams that really have no talent and/or coaching.

People are even bemoaning Duke not playing enough road games to battle test this team. This team is plenty battle tested. Granted Duke does better, as do most teams, at home, but give me a break. The team has played lots of good competition this year and beaten them. Against Maryland I don't remember if Duke made a run to get close, but against Carolina at Carolina after being down big the team made a run to get really close. In the ACC tournament the teams, Duke and State, went to overtime where Duke's defense went the way of the dinosaurs.

I think it is all well and good to respect every opponent. I am nervous myself. However, no matter how excited VCU may look to play us and no matter how many "upsets" the pundits predict and no matter how much hand-wringing goes on here (by myself included) the game will be played on a court identical in dimensions to what Duke has at CIS where the fans aren't allowed on and the two teams will go at it--mano a mano. Everytime Duke sets foot in an opponents gym/arena that team plays their best ball, sometimes even of the year, to attempt a win. Duke is used to this. The bright lights and the hatred are nothing new. Past Duke teams thrived on it, this team maybe not as much as past teams, but the point is that this stage is a familiar one. I am not sure that VCU has had that opportunity--the really big stage where all eyes are on them. In spite of what they are showing to the outside world, it may prove bigger than they expected and performance may not be as easy as dancing in front of a camera on selection Sunday. Duke, one believes, will be ready because they have been here before. The team has been through enough marquee games, at home and "abroad," to know the intensity to bring and what to expect.

A key man, a Mr. Greg Paulus, is playing his best basketball of the year. Marty is getting his time. GH is coming back. I hope VCU celebrates a lot because this is not going to be a pic-nic. This is not another team in their league--this is an ACC team and Duke on top of that. I can't predict the outcome, but if Duke is not favored at least in terms of the situation then what the team does in conference week in and week out has no meaning. The ACC, if nothing else, has provided a petri dish for the Devils to know what they need to do--against players, with all due respect, who are better than that at VCU. It does not mean we will win, but Duke has faced better competition and won--granted sometimes it was at home, but there were road victories too. There is a lot of pride in the coaching staff and in the players. Nobody wants to lose. I've read where Josh is not really liked by the other players. OK think about this, if true, neither was Laettner. If Laettner left early hardly a tear would have probably been shed for him in the locker room (I don't really know if that is really true about McRoberts, I have my doubts.). A quote by Scheyer on this very board rolls by every once in a while where it sounds like the team, or at least a team member, is listening to Josh. My point is that I would not have wanted Laettner to leave and I don't want Josh gone either.

Sorry if this is rambling and too many points for one post, it is getting late. I had a lot to write.

GO DUKE!