PDA

View Full Version : NBA all-star voting

jipops
01-08-2008, 10:42 PM
I know I'm in the minority here in being one that actually watches and follows the nba. All-Star game a little over a month away. Here are the starters on my ballot:

East (these picks were relatively easy)
G-Dwayne Wade - the only one I struggled with. He hasn't been as strong coming back form injury, but is there really anyone better at his position in the East?
G-Chauncey Billups - the biggest reason the Pistons are still a title threat
F-LeBron James - no brainer
F-Kevin Garnett - ditto
C-Dwight Howard - ditto

West(much more interesting)
G-Kobe Bryant - the only easy one
G-Chris Paul - lots of depth at pg in the West - but this one was actually easy too.
F-Josh Howard - I love his all around game, he can score anywhere on the floor in a variety of ways and he's a great defender
F-Carlos Boozer - a bit of a biased pick but he has some monstrous numbers this season 23.5 pts 55% shooting, 11.3 boards. He makes a good enough argument to pick over Duncan. He's 2nd in the NBA among power forwards in PER.
C-Yao Ming - This one was tough. Amare Stoudamire is having a monster year but still feel Ming is the better overall center. He's not shooting a great percentage but still dropping 21+ and 11 boards in a new offense.

mgtr
01-09-2008, 03:37 AM
Since you are into the NBA, what do you think of the USA team's chances this summer in China?

CMS2478
01-09-2008, 11:16 AM
I know I'm in the minority here in being one that actually watches and follows the nba. All-Star game a little over a month away. Here are the starters on my ballot:

East (these picks were relatively easy)
G-Dwayne Wade - the only one I struggled with. He hasn't been as strong coming back form injury, but is there really anyone better at his position in the East?
G-Chauncey Billups - the biggest reason the Pistons are still a title threat
F-LeBron James - no brainer
F-Kevin Garnett - ditto
C-Dwight Howard - ditto

West(much more interesting)
G-Kobe Bryant - the only easy one
G-Chris Paul - lots of depth at pg in the West - but this one was actually easy too.
F-Josh Howard - I love his all around game, he can score anywhere on the floor in a variety of ways and he's a great defender
F-Carlos Boozer - a bit of a biased pick but he has some monstrous numbers this season 23.5 pts 55% shooting, 11.3 boards. He makes a good enough argument to pick over Duncan. He's 2nd in the NBA among power forwards in PER.
C-Yao Ming - This one was tough. Amare Stoudamire is having a monster year but still feel Ming is the better overall center. He's not shooting a great percentage but still dropping 21+ and 11 boards in a new offense.

I like the East to win!!!

ugadevil
01-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Could Caron Butler be considered a guard or is he strictly a forward?

jipops
01-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Since you are into the NBA, what do you think of the USA team's chances this summer in China?

Pretty good. No way we'll coast through the Olympics like we did in the Americas tournament. I think a lot depends on the overall health and physical readiness of the team. I believe we have a good chance of winning in China but it should be very tough.

jipops
01-09-2008, 01:43 PM
I like the East to win!!!

Not so sure about that. Yes, based on my ballot the East starting five does look a bit more impressive, but the West boasts significantly more depth in talent especially at guard. In the West you also have Nash, Deron Williams, Tony Parker, and Baron Davis at pg. At the 2 you have Ginobli and Iverson, two guys who are arguably better than any other 2 guard in the East outside of Dwayne Wade. Oh yeah, there is also Tracy McGrady if he's healthy. I'd say bench forwards are about even while the West can bring more talent off the bench at center with Stoudamire, Camby, and Al Jefferson(who is having a monster year on a bad team).

gw67
01-09-2008, 01:44 PM
jipops - Don't watch a lot of NBA games so my ignorance is probably showing but why is Paul an easy choice over Nash, D. Williams and B. Davis?

gw67

jipops
01-09-2008, 02:11 PM
jipops - Don't watch a lot of NBA games so my ignorance is probably showing but why is Paul an easy choice over Nash, D. Williams and B. Davis?

gw67

Well, I guess I shouldn't have said "easy" but it didn't take a lot pondering for me to put him down as a starter. Not only does he average 21.5 but is also 2nd in the league in assists(10) [I think that's right] and first in steals(3). He was also Western conference player of the month in December. Paul is actually on the shortlist of early mvp candidates.