PDA

View Full Version : Foot Notes

Jumbo
01-08-2008, 04:44 PM
OK, time to compile a list. It definitely seems like Duke's had a ton of broken feet, especially lately. Let's try to remember as many as possible. No ankle stuff. No knees. No sprains. Just broken feet. Off the top of my head:

-Zoubek now
-Zoubek this summer
-Greg Paulus last year
-Reggie Love as a 5th-year senior
-Carlos Boozer late in 2001
-Carlos Boozer prior to his freshman season
-Elton Brand as a frosh
-Bobby Hurley in 1992
-Chris Collins in 1994
-Chris Collins in 1996 (was this a break or a sprain?)

Also, I don't think Shav actually broke his foot, but he definitely had a foot injury, right?

This list is (sadly) incomplete. Help me fill it in.

jipops
01-08-2008, 08:47 PM
OK, time to compile a list. It definitely seems like Duke's had a ton of broken feet, especially lately. Let's try to remember as many as possible. No ankle stuff. No knees. No sprains. Just broken feet. Off the top of my head:

-Zoubek now
-Zoubek this summer
-Greg Paulus last year
-Elton Brand as a frosh
-Bobby Hurley in 1992
-Chris Collins in 1994

Also, I don't think Shav actually broke his foot, but he definitely had a foot injury, right?

Shav's was more of a hip issue that he tried to balance by putting half a tennis ball in his shoe.

-Wojo in 1996 (I think it was a foot issue that forced him out as we were burned by Earl Boykins and Eastern Michigan in the tournament)

-Grant Hill in 1993, landed on Rodney Rogers going for a board

-Jeff Capel broken foot beginning of his freshman year - 93-94

for some reason I'm thinking Brickey had a foot issue somewhere in his Duke career but I can't place it.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-08-2008, 09:26 PM
OK, time to compile a list.

Ozzie, in 10th grade, just before baseball season started in late February. Was able to pinch hit before the season ended in late April. Still hurts 38 years later if I sit cross-legged on the floor (insert Chicago/25 or 6 to 4 reference here please) with that bone against the floor.

DevilAlumna
01-09-2008, 02:40 AM
Shav's was more of a hip issue that he tried to balance by putting half a tennis ball in his shoe.

-Wojo in 1996 (I think it was a foot issue that forced him out as we were burned by Earl Boykins and Eastern Michigan in the tournament)

I thought Wojo's issue in '96 was a very severe ankle sprain.

And a half tennis ball in Shav's shoe -- I can't even begin to imagine how messed up his hips must have been, for that to make things feel better. How sad he felt he couldn't share that with the Duke medical staff, but instead tried to hide it for a whole season.

Lavabe
01-09-2008, 04:55 AM
Here's a link to the story from 3 or 4 few years ago about Duke Med Ctr research on 5th metatarsal fractures in basketball players (http://www.dukemednews.org/news/article.php?id=7461). There's a link on the right side of the page for another news item about the K Lab. Here's a PUBMED citation for their research in 2006:

Guettler JH, Ruskan GJ, Bytomski JR, Brown CR, Richardson JK, Moorman CT 3rd. 2006. Fifth metatarsal stress fractures in elite basketball players: evaluation of forces acting on the fifth metatarsal. Am J Orthop. 35(11):532-6

In the interest of fairness, the tacky blue folks physical therapy school & orthopods have also recently published articles on this medical issue.

Cheers,
Lavabe

thomas
01-09-2008, 05:16 AM
Ozzie 4 Duke: I loved the Chicago reference...

How about " ...wondering how much I can take..." (2nd verse, great band).

Several years ago there was talk about the underflooring at Cameron being an issue (ie, too hard), but I think some improvements were made. Does anyone remember?

Scoring Point
01-09-2008, 09:43 AM
I gotta blame Nike. The frequency of foot injuries seems to have accelerated right around the time the black uniforms were unveiled. Coincidence? I think not.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-09-2008, 10:01 AM
"The rest of the story" regarding injuries which occur when you're younger, especially those to joints, plays out at some future time. Yes, the injuries heal and life goes on more or less like before, but at some point in time a new challenge becomes a part of coping with daily life: Arthritis seems to seek out each and every injury site. (At least that's my experience.) Pain and stiffness become a part of each day's challenge. What will the quality of life be for these players later in life? Who knows? These injuries won't be forgotten!

wilson
01-09-2008, 10:23 AM
...(insert Chicago/25 or 6 to 4 reference here please)...

We already had a whole thread about this:
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2984

rthomas
01-09-2008, 10:27 AM

-Zoubek now
-Zoubek this summer
-Greg Paulus last year
-Elton Brand as a frosh
-Bobby Hurley in 1992
-Chris Collins in 1994

Hopefully, my post won't get this thread moved to the PP board.

But if creationism was true don't you think the creator would have created a better design for the feet of our basketball players. On the other hand, Duke basketball began in 1906 and there have been over 100 generations of Duke basketball players and, if evolution was real, you would think our players would have evolved a better adapted foot.

wilson
01-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Hopefully, my post won't get this thread moved to the PP board.

But if creationism was true don't you think the creator would have created a better design for the feet of our basketball players. On the other hand, Duke basketball began in 1906 and there have been over 100 generations of Duke basketball players and, if evolution was real, you would think our players would have evolved a better adapted foot.

You'd also think a world with no tar heels would have evolved.

Jumbo
01-09-2008, 11:47 AM

-Grant Hill in 1993, landed on Rodney Rogers going for a board

-Jeff Capel broken foot beginning of his freshman year - 93-94

for some reason I'm thinking Brickey had a foot issue somewhere in his Duke career but I can't place it.

Just looking for broken feet here -- especially metatarsals. Nothing else. I'd like to be able to compare recovery times once we have a good list.

6th Man
01-09-2008, 12:21 PM
I have had 2 major injuries playing basketball.....and both times I had on Nike. Now I stay away from Nike shoes. I am sure it is just a coincidence, but I am a little superstitious. I tore an Achilles and I tore my patellar tendon. Maybe I just have bad tendons.