PDA

View Full Version : It's over

Jumbo
01-08-2008, 03:35 PM
It's over.

Jumbo
01-08-2008, 03:49 PM
There's no shame in voting "no," btw. The answer will be revealed tomorrow.

365Duke
01-08-2008, 03:53 PM
of course it's over, duh;)

grossbus
01-08-2008, 03:56 PM
define "over."

i answered "no," but i think it depends on what your expectations were.

EarlJam
01-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Great post! I love it when an inside joke hits the sweet spot!

-EarlJam

dyedwab
01-08-2008, 04:01 PM
...and made me think about Reggie Love and Casey Sanders - which is always a good thing in my book

SilkyJ
01-08-2008, 04:03 PM
voted no.

i just hope we play lance more and develop him for march b/c if his ceiling is higher than dave's right now, even if dave is a better contributor right now.

feldspar
01-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Nate James is not good.

Johnboy
01-08-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm disappointed in Jason Williams. ;)

uncwdevil
01-08-2008, 04:18 PM
i'm guessing somebody posted "it's over" back when CBooz broke his foot in 2001

a regular notradamus, that one

Jumbo
01-08-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm hiding all guesses until tomorrow. Then I will "undelete" them.

watzone
01-08-2008, 04:52 PM
With Boozer getting injured versus Maryland, we are toast.

lmb
01-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Is it too early in the season to make a direct correlation between the two events?

EarlJam
01-08-2008, 05:03 PM
We're DOOMED! The sky is falling! Oh why was I ever born! Oh the humani......what?

We did what?

We won?

We won the whole thing?

I knew K would pull us through.

-EJ

tbyers11
01-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Nate James is not good.

Another good one. That reminds of possibly my favorite DBR message board post of all time.

There was a response that someone wrote to that initial Nate James Can't Play post. It included a part about how when 10 years go by and Corey Maggette is an NBA All-Star and Nate James is coaching at a junior college somewhere and they both call for tickets to the UNC game that the tickets should always go to Nate. I printed that post out and need to see if I still have it somewhere.

Man I loved Nate James. He was a badass.

/self-indulgent trip down memory lane

Jumbo
01-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Guys, stop posting the answer until tomorrow! Sheesh! ;)

AKG
01-08-2008, 05:36 PM
I don't always agree with you jumbo, but great reference!!

Nugget
01-08-2008, 05:39 PM
At least we know there won't be an "Obama Mispronounces Battier" incident with Reggie Love watching over Obama's schedule.

OldPhiKap
01-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Did the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor?

camion
01-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Of course it's over. Just like the other times it was over. Now where's that towel when I need it.

Turtleboy
01-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Guys, stop posting the answer until tomorrow! Sheesh! ;)I believe the site owners have opened the bag on this one.

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-08-2008, 06:24 PM
....and I haven't sung a single note!
Love, Ima

Lavabe
01-08-2008, 06:38 PM
We are not dead yet!

SilkyJ
01-08-2008, 06:49 PM
voted no.

i just hope we play lance more and develop him for march b/c if his ceiling is higher than dave's right now, even if dave is a better contributor right now.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I thought the poll was for if we thought it was over.

Jumbo, I do get the reference and will not spill the beans, but feel free to change my vote to yes. or not. not really important i guess.

Nate James is not good.

ah yes, the old message board. good times.

casey sanders has great hands. nick horvath can shoot.

Lavabe
01-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Nate James is not good.

Do you remember seeing the fast break clip the other night on FSN with Nate running on the left flank, Jason on the right, and no one being covered?

That was AWESOME....

Jumbo
01-08-2008, 07:01 PM
I believe the site owners have opened the bag on this one.

Where?

MChambers
01-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Maybe his hands have improved!

OZZIE4DUKE
01-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Where?

Crap, that's where. Good poll though!

Jumbo
01-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Crap, that's where. Good poll though!

I don't get it -- "it's over" is never referenced there.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-08-2008, 07:31 PM
I don't get it -- "it's over" is never referenced there.

No, but it is the inevitable reaction of a goodly portion of our posters/fans. Those of little faith, and I'm not talking about religion.

killerleft
01-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Whew, finally I remembered something! Turned 55 a month ago and thought my memory was gone.

We don't have a chance now. We're not only merely dead, we're really most sincerely dead!

greybeard
01-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Say, are there any more of those mushrooms left. I can't wait for tomorrow, which is unusual for someone my age because there's a decent chance it won't be. :confused:

Turtleboy
01-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Where?The main page, unless I am wrong about what your topic is.

godukecom
01-08-2008, 08:00 PM
absolutely i get the reference

tehe

SilkyJ
01-08-2008, 08:35 PM
The main page, unless I am wrong about what your topic is.

you are. it is not about ZOUBEK breaking his foot.

/hint

Acymetric
01-08-2008, 08:37 PM
I have some guesses about what it is, but seeing as its supposed to be secret 'til tomorrow I won't post them (no idea how often Jumbo is checking to hide the answers). But at least I'll have the satisfaction of knowing I was right, if I am. Which I think I could be.

DBFAN
01-08-2008, 08:39 PM
I am totally lost, what is going on in here? Is someone going to let us know?

SilkyJ
01-08-2008, 08:44 PM
I am totally lost, what is going on in here? Is someone going to let us know?

the line "it's over" is a reference to something that occurred at this very site a while back.

given what just happened to our basketball team TODAY, it REALLY shouldn't be that hard for a bunch of people who graduated from Duke to figure out what he's talking about.

oh and yes, jumbo is going to reveal *gasp* what the "it's over" is referring to tomorrow.

77devil
01-08-2008, 08:59 PM
It's over.

Cute. Gimme some Love.

Turtleboy
01-08-2008, 09:06 PM
you are. it is not about ZOUBEK breaking his foot.

/hintAlrighty then.

365Duke
01-08-2008, 09:08 PM
I am a bit surprised that some of the old timers (or should I say old boarders;) ) did not remember this. Gross, gw, wat, etc.:D

Jarhead
01-08-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm voting yes, but I disagree. He could not outplay Foote.

SilkyJ
01-08-2008, 11:33 PM
I'm voting yes, but I disagree. He could not outplay Foote.

You made the same mistake I did initially. The poll isn't whether we actually think "its over" . the poll is whether we get the reference "it's over"

Cute. Gimme some Love.

NICE ONE DAD!!! For those that don't get the "its over" reference, this is another great hint!!! (notice Love is capitalized....i can hear the gears grinding...)

DBFAN
01-08-2008, 11:34 PM
I did not go to Duke, and have only been going to this board for about 6 months, and I am totally lost.

Exiled_Devil
01-09-2008, 07:36 AM
I did not go to Duke, and have only been going to this board for about 6 months, and I am totally lost.

Understandably so...the reference is years old (hope I am not revealing too much here, Jumbo.)

Just realized I was lurking when this happened - I don't even know if I had a poster name yet. Huh.

Edit: I also realize this was the height of my 'watching Duke basketball and drinking years'...good times.

exiled

gw67
01-09-2008, 07:59 AM
I remembered what Jumbo is referring to and voted! It is a very appropriate post at this time.

gw67

CDu
01-09-2008, 10:03 AM
I remembered what Jumbo is referring to and voted! It is a very appropriate post at this time.

gw67

In fairness, I believe the previous "it's over" was a lot more reasonable sentiment at the time.

Jfrosh
01-09-2008, 10:10 AM
In fairness, I believe the previous "it's over" was a lot more reasonable sentiment at the time.

It was, I know I thought it at the time, didn't speak it, but thought it.

gw67
01-09-2008, 10:10 AM
cdu,

I agree. Poor choice of words on my part. What I intended to point out was that the thread "it's over" by Jumbo was an appropriate post at this time to remind us of the past and the hand wringing that went on by many.

gw67

DukieInKansas
01-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Voted no - I don't get the reference. However, if it is what I think, my answer to "Is it over?" would be no.

duketaylor
01-09-2008, 10:32 AM
I was at the game involved in the reference and remember feeling utterly empty when IT happened. Sometimes players step up!! Todd Collins looked pretty good for the Redskins the last month; some guy named Romo has played well at times, too.

ice-9
01-09-2008, 10:39 AM
I didn't read the forums back then, but I can guess what the quote is referring to.

(CB > CS but we had SB performing defensive miracles.)

gw67
01-09-2008, 10:49 AM
chuck,

I suspect that many Pats fans were down when Bledsoe was injured and he was replaced by a sixth round pick who had been a part-time starter at Michigan.

gw67

duketaylor
01-09-2008, 11:02 AM
yeah, I was thinking about him as well. I still think we'll see plenty of TKing in the middle at times, plus McClure can mix it up as well. We'll just play some smaller post players.

MulletMan
01-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Y'all know that Nate was at the Cornell game?

I tried to start the "Nate's a Badd-^$%^$%^$%!" chant, but alas, even the grad students who are here are mostly too young to have been in Cameron when Nate was playing.

It made me feel like I've been at Duke too long.

Of course, I'm still years behind Throaty and Viking, so I guess I'm good!:D

OldPhiKap
01-09-2008, 11:24 AM
(CB > CS but we had SB performing defensive miracles.)

It's not over -- but the situations are not comparable for reasons whose discussion would probably violate the secretive nature of the thread.

Wander
01-09-2008, 11:37 AM
It's not over -- but the situations are not comparable for reasons whose discussion would probably violate the secretive nature of the thread.

They're not comparable specifically, but the reference is still a good reminder for anyone who's going crazy in panic over Zoubek's injury.

hurleyfor3
01-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Can we just chuck up a bunch of 3's and hope we hit 50%? That sometimes works. Maybe we'll get a 2-seed against a weak #1.

Jumbo
01-09-2008, 11:44 AM
This, of course, was a reference to one of the most famous threads in DBR lore. Following the 2001 game at Cameron against Maryland, when Carlos Boozer broke his foot, one poster started a thread entitled "It's Over." Indeed, it was -- for everyone else. Duke won its last 10 games (including the national title) and Boozer returned during the NCAA Tourney. I'm pleased to announced that I have it on good authority that the infamous poster will be gracing us with his presence in this very thread!

Now, obviously, Zoubek's injury doesn't compare to the impact of Boozer's. But considering how much turnover we've had on the board, it's nice to see how many people remembered it.

This actually leads to two other questions.

1) I noticed a lot of posters who answered "yes" whose screen names I don't recall. I'm wondering if some people switched names when the new board was created (or at some other point). Should I start a separate thread about that? I've always wondered what happened to certain people, but maybe they're still with us under different names.

2) I've thought about creating a "DBR quiz" of sorts -- testing everyone's memory on the history of the site. What do you guys think? And if we do it, how do we enable people to answer without providing said answers to other posters (short of a mod being online constantly to temporarily delete answers until the quiz ends)?

RockyMtDevil
01-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Most men live lives of quiet desperation, but I am glad to know my life now has immortal meaning and significance because of the "It's Over" thread, :) posted under my previous board name "Gat" back late the evening of Boozer's broken foot against Maryland. A subsequent move to Colorado and the overwhelming vitriol and abuse I faced post-thread caused me to go into exile and ultimately change my board name to RockyMtDevil.

However, I still believe that the MOJO Gods were at work and that if not for that apocolyptic thread, we never win the championship! Therefore, all of us have our cross to bear, and I took the injury and burden off the team's back by carte blanch stating the obvious, that the season was indeed over. With that bold statement, K and team had the freedom, grace and mercy to go out and whip Carolina twice, take out Maryland twice, beat Mizzu, USC, UCLA, and ultimately Arizona for an amazing championship run.

Can I get a ring for that?

Duke09
01-09-2008, 11:58 AM
1) I noticed a lot of posters who answered "yes" whose screen names I don't recall. I'm wondering if some people switched names when the new board was created (or at some other point). Should I start a separate thread about that? I've always wondered what happened to certain people, but maybe they're still with us under different names.

2) I've thought about creating a "DBR quiz" of sorts -- testing everyone's memory on the history of the site. What do you guys think? And if we do it, how do we enable people to answer without providing said answers to other posters (short of a mod being online constantly to temporarily delete answers until the quiz ends)?

I wasn't around at the time but the I'm over has been discussed within several threads over the last year. Namely whenever someone panic's over anything.

dw0827
01-09-2008, 12:02 PM
This, of course, was a reference to one of the most famous threads in DBR lore. Following the 2001 game at Cameron against Maryland, when Carlos Boozer broke his foot, one poster started a thread entitled "It's Over." Indeed, it was -- for everyone else. Duke won its last 10 games (including the national title) and Boozer returned during the NCAA Tourney. I'm pleased to announced that I have it on good authority that the infamous poster will be gracing us with his presence in this very thread!

Now, obviously, Zoubek's injury doesn't compare to the impact of Boozer's. But considering how much turnover we've had on the board, it's nice to see how many people remembered it.

Personally, I think its a bad idea. I believe DBR is trying to foster and support a community of like-minded people. Trying to sort out the "old-timers" from the "newbies" serves only to polarize DBR . . . creating classes of posters.

As per the pub analogy, we have this table in the corner of the pub and only people who score highly on the "DBR quiz" may sit at the table?

There have been several threads in past months about whether this board is "elitist" etc etc etc. Without getting into it, you know what I mean. Why do anything that could potentially be used to differentiate . . . and polarize . . . posters?

HOWEVER, if it were done with honorable intentions, with a dash of humor, with a promise to avoid polarization . . . then it could be fun. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket. It's just that when something CAN be abused, it usually IS abused.

Jeffrey
01-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Personally, I think its a bad idea. I believe DBR is trying to foster and support a community of like-minded people. Trying to sort out the "old-timers" from the "newbies" serves only to polarize DBR . . . creating classes of posters.

As per the pub analogy, we have this table in the corner of the pub and only people who score highly on the "DBR quiz" may sit at the table?

There have been several threads in past months about whether this board is "elitist" etc etc etc. Without getting into it, you know what I mean. Why do anything that could potentially be used to differentiate . . . and polarize . . . posters?

Hi,

I could not agree more!

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Exiled_Devil
01-09-2008, 12:18 PM

HOWEVER, if it were done with honorable intentions, with a dash of humor, with a promise to avoid polarization . . . then it could be fun. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket. It's just that when something CAN be abused, it usually IS abused.

I had a similar concern when the quiz was mentioned, but then thought twice about the last part - the reference guide was done with honorable intentions, with a dash of humor, and had no expectation of division and that was the cause of much of the division discussion in the recent past.

Having said that, I say Go for it with the quiz. celebrating the boards' unique history is not divisive, and if someone feels left out because they don't get a reference, that is not the group's problem. Logistically, I don't know if you can do it with this bbs software, so it may be a pointless question.

Exiled

SilkyJ
01-09-2008, 12:26 PM
K and team had the freedom, grace and mercy to go out and whip Carolina twice, take out Maryland twice, beat Mizzu, USC, UCLA, and ultimately Arizona for an amazing championship run.

Can I get a ring for that?

boozer broke his foot in the gone in 60 seconds game, right? I was at the USC and UCLA games (sweet 16, elite 8, not sure which order) in Philly and I remember in one of the games our first 8 or 9 FGs were all threes. I just remembered this while watching the cornell game and they showed a stat of how we were on pace for XXX # of threes and I figured with the barage we had earlier in the year it was going to be an impressive pace, but it wasn't even CLOSE to the # we put up in 2001. I think we are on pace for something like 275 this year and in 2001 we made like 450.

I know i changed my name once on the old board and then again when i came to the new board. sure i'm not the only one...

also, lots of people were confused by the poll (myself included, at least initially) and thought we were voting on whether "its over" not on whether they got the reference to "its over" so maybe thats why some of those people voted yes....

Clipsfan
01-09-2008, 12:39 PM
boozer broke his foot in the gone in 60 seconds game, right? I was at the USC and UCLA games (sweet 16, elite 8, not sure which order) in Philly and I remember in one of the games our first 8 or 9 FGs were all threes. I just remembered this while watching the cornell game and they showed a stat of how we were on pace for XXX # of threes and I figured with the barage we had earlier in the year it was going to be an impressive pace, but it wasn't even CLOSE to the # we put up in 2001. I think we are on pace for something like 275 this year and in 2001 we made like 450.

I know i changed my name once on the old board and then again when i came to the new board. sure i'm not the only one...

also, lots of people were confused by the poll (myself included, at least initially) and thought we were voting on whether "its over" not on whether they got the reference to "its over" so maybe thats why some of those people voted yes....

I know that I've changed my name at least once since the late 90s, I just don't remember when I did so (nor do I remember what my old name was). It was obviously quite a few years ago.

The Gone in 60 game was on TV the other day, apparently. I was quite happily surprised when I opened up my recorded show list and my "Duke" search had recorded that. Now, does anyone know how to program a DirecTV HD DVR to only record channels you actually get?

dukepsy1963
01-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Let's live in the present, not the past.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it "smacks" of elitism, but it does separate out those of us who weren't members of this particular board in the "old days." I'm not offended, but it did seem a little "childish."

If one of the things DBR wants to do is cultivate and welcome new Dukies...and I have no doubt that this is true...then digging up past threads that only a few could identify with is not the way to do it.

Again, why not live in the present!!! Let's not (potentially) alienate some members like this again IMO.

----------
Duke '63

grossbus
01-09-2008, 12:50 PM
"I am a bit surprised that some of the old timers (or should I say old boarders ) did not remember this. Gross, gw, wat, etc."

what makes you think i didn't?

Nittany Devil
01-09-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm not a frequent poster (as evidenced by my "Manager" status), and I didn't vote in the poll (I should have). Still, I was 95% sure that I understood the "It's Over" reference, and I was right. I've enjoyed reading many of the discussions over the years and getting a feel for the different personalities on this board even though I haven't been active on the board. I wonder if there are a lot of DBR readers in my category: fairly long-time lurker, pretty familiar with the board and many posters, yet not familiar to most of the DBR community. I think that the quiz idea sounds interesting.

tbyers11
01-09-2008, 01:02 PM

The Gone in 60 seconds game was at Maryland at the end of January. Boozer broke his foot against Maryland in the home game at the end of February (Shane and Nate's senior night I think.)

Also, I completely agree with you about the number of threes that we are taking (and often making) this year. It seems like a whole heck of a lot. When they showed that graphic and I realized we weren't even close to the 3 point pace of the 2001 team I was shocked.

Tom B.
01-09-2008, 01:04 PM
boozer broke his foot in the gone in 60 seconds game, right?

No -- the Gone in 60 Seconds game was earlier in the season (in late January, I think), at Maryland. Boozer broke his foot in the second game against Maryland that year, which was in Cameron in late February.

rsvman
01-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Boozer did not break his foot in the "gone in 60 seconds" game, which was played AT Maryland; he broke his foot when we played Maryland in Cameron in 2001. In fact, unless my memory is off, I think the "gone in 60 seconds" game was in 2002.

And yes, I got the reference instantaneously. In fact, just seeing the title gave me a flashback to the morning after that game when I pulled up DBR.

(FWIW, I wrote the words "the wheels have come off" in an e-mail to a friend the exact same day; I guess I'm just as guilty of pessimism as is RockyMtDevil.)

DevilCastDownfromDurham
01-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Quote:

"boozer broke his foot in the gone in 60 seconds game, right?"

Nope, Gone in 54 Seconds was at Garyland (thus making it even sweeter.) Obnoxious fans chanting "overrated" have been credited with ticking JWill off and sparking the comeback. Although Blake fouling out may have played a part as well...

We lost Boozer in the second (home) game and then lost a solid lead and the game. And then Senior all-time great Shane Battier took over. And we got hot from outside for a few weeks. Right now I'm not very certain that Nelson is anywhere near Battier or that we can sustain outside shooting like we did in '01. This team can still be very good, but Nolan hasn't shown the ability to do what CDu did as a playmaker and we've got no one anywhere near JWill. Happily, Z isn't quite the force that Carlos was, so we're trying to replace less with less.

That '01 team was really unique in terms of talent and the players are different enough that I don't really see an analogy. The general message of "don't panic," however, is a great one. Let's let this team be what it is and enjoy the ride. It almost certainly won't end out with any (post-Maui) championships, but that's okay.

bird
01-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Each championship run had its defining game:

1991 - semi over UNLV
1992 - regional final over KY

and, for 2001, I would argue, somewhat strangely, the senior night LOSS (for Battier, no less, one of most popular players ever), when Boozer went down.

It gives me chills just thinking about what came afterward. Talk about athletic immortality for all involved!

uncwdevil
01-09-2008, 01:36 PM
I never posted here with the old software because it was so user-unfriendly compared to places like TDD. I never really took the time to read anything. I see now that this is a great board and definitely offers a different "experience" than TDD.

Good to be here.

77devil
01-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Quote:

Right now I'm not very certain that Nelson is anywhere near Battier or that we can sustain outside shooting like we did in '01.

He's not. Not even close. But as you and others wrote, no need to panic.

What is frustraiting, for me at least, is any Duke setback when the Holes are doing so well.

Chard
01-09-2008, 01:44 PM
The quiz would be great. If you haven't been around long enough to score well on the quiz nobody is going to ask you to scat. In fact, it may foster some good discussion and stories. If you are going to be offended, don't read it. Jeez.

greybeard
01-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Stories make life richer; this thread was captivating in its mystification to this newbie at least; and I say go for it!

Jumbo
01-09-2008, 02:05 PM

Polarizing? Lighten up, Francis. The whole idea of the thing would be to generate a few laughs, tell some tales of the old days, reconnect with people who have disappeared, etc. We're not going to separate the newbies and place them at a kiddie table.

365Duke
01-09-2008, 02:45 PM
"I am a bit surprised that some of the old timers (or should I say old boarders ) did not remember this. Gross, gw, wat, etc."

what makes you think i didn't?

at the results that listed the posters votes. and your are listed as a no. thats all. maybe it was a mistake.:D

MulletMan
01-09-2008, 03:23 PM
In fact, unless my memory is off, I think the "gone in 60 seconds" game was in 2002.

Your memory is off. Simple proof would be that Shane Battier played in the "Gone in 54 Seconds" game.

rsvman
01-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks, MulletMan. Now that I replay it in my head it is obvious that Shane was playing.

This kind of stuff happens when you get old; something about a series of small ischemic attacks or something....;)

Jarhead
01-09-2008, 04:13 PM
I agree with Jumbo. Without the old days, we have no traditions. Tradition is important at Duke, and it is important for the elders on the DBR forums to participate in the retelling of those traditions. Sheesh, how would we even know about Tinkerbell and his giving the roses to the ladies in the stands on his senior night? How would we keep the "Battier for President" campaign alive? I still have a copy of the video of the Speedo Guy in that game against UNC in Cameron. My friends down here complain that I show it every time they come over, but they still get a laugh. Dwell on the old days, gang. They were fun. Well, maybe not last year.

Indoor66
01-09-2008, 04:52 PM

I would like to see both 1 and 2 above. I have posted under 2 names prior to my current - ncgriz and chugwaterman. Both were changed after computer crashes at my end and it was easier to re-register. I go pretty far back, but being old like greybeard and others, I can't remember how far back. I do recall '98 forward....

As to quiz, I think it would be fun and would spark additonal historical comments and memories were rekindled and refeshed. I began following Duke Football after attending the Orange Bowl in 1954 (Duke 34, Nebraska 7). My basketball following began in 1960 with the start of the Bubas era and the surprise ACC championship - led by Howard Hurt. Haven't quit since!

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-09-2008, 05:11 PM
As to quiz, I think it would be fun and would spark additonal historical comments and memories were rekindled and refeshed. I began following Duke Football after attending the Orange Bowl in 1954 (Duke 34, Nebraska 7). My basketball following began in 1960 with the start of the Bubas era and the surprise ACC championship - led by Howard Hurt. Haven't quit since!

Ah, you've called up some great memories with these comments! There are some really fabulous stories to be shared and enjoyed by all.

alteran
01-09-2008, 05:37 PM
It's over.

I almost put, "We're doomed" in the "Another one for UNC.... (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5867)" thread, but I didn't think anyone would know what I was talking about.

dw0827
01-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Polarizing? Lighten up, Francis. The whole idea of the thing would be to generate a few laughs, tell some tales of the old days, reconnect with people who have disappeared, etc. We're not going to separate the newbies and place them at a kiddie table.

Perhaps not, Gene . . . but will you serve them the good stuff?

colchar
01-09-2008, 06:42 PM
I had a similar concern when the quiz was mentioned, but then thought twice about the last part - the reference guide was done with honorable intentions, with a dash of humor, and had no expectation of division and that was the cause of much of the division discussion in the recent past.

I must have missed the discussions about elitism and division. Were they here on the on-topic board (I don't read that one as much as I do the others)?

colchar
01-09-2008, 06:44 PM
I still have a copy of the video of the Speedo Guy in that game against UNC in Cameron. My friends down here complain that I show it every time they come over, but they still get a laugh.

Post it!!!

I swear, none of us here will complain.

colchar
01-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Let's not (potentially) alienate some members like this again IMO.

In certain ways, I think this board is more innclusive now than it used to be.

heath_harshman4
01-09-2008, 06:52 PM
In certain ways, I think this board is more innclusive now than it used to be.

I am a new member to DBR as of a few months ago. I have been a fan of Duke since 2000 and am 17 years old and live in Washington State. With this thread I felt in no way alienated but it made me think. it took me a while because I was not a member of DBR at age 10 but I figured it was about Boozer. especially with the Nick Horvath comments...HAHAH...good one..

I think a quiz would be great!

grossbus
01-09-2008, 08:59 PM
"at the results that listed the posters votes. and your are listed as a no. thats all. maybe it was a mistake"

yeah, i did. have to confess i misread the poll question. i thought we were being asked if it were over while realizing it was a reference to that thread last year.

Exiled_Devil
01-09-2008, 11:36 PM
I must have missed the discussions about elitism and division. Were they here on the on-topic board (I don't read that one as much as I do the others)?

I was thinking about all the posts complaining about "What is 9f?" and "this abbreviation isn't funny, it says 'you can't have conversations about zone ever again, its k9'".

I echo the responses that say both the handy reference and any quiz - heck, anything that celebrates and lets us reminisce about the specific history of DBR - are good things.

And a quick response to the poster who said something like the quiz would be 'childish', I completely disagree - childish would be getting upset because a group celebrates its own history and you are not part of the entire story.

There is a balance between tradition and participation, between inclusion and norm enforcing. DBR attempts this in the most reasonable way I have seen on the internet (maybe second).

Exiled

colchar
01-10-2008, 01:11 AM
And a quick response to the poster who said something like the quiz would be 'childish', I completely disagree - childish would be getting upset because a group celebrates its own history and you are not part of the entire story.

But should be really be celebrating something in the name of history if there are some who might not be included?

OZZIE4DUKE
01-10-2008, 02:09 AM

Well said Jumbo. Absolutely do a quiz. Some of the "someone's feelings might get hurt" comments sound like, well, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or get this moved to the PP board, so I won't say what I was going to say. I hate being politically correct.

From the day I first found Juliovision on the web, I've proudly never posted under a different name. No need to, when this one says it all! :D

feldspar
01-10-2008, 02:30 AM
No quiz. It would just result in another Black Monday.

:D

Memphis Devil
01-10-2008, 01:00 PM

I think that the quiz would be a great idea. In fact, I think that it would be great to take the responses and create a completely new site for those who pass and one for those who fail. We could even call the site for those who fail "Kiddie Korner" and the one for those who pass "Greatest, Bestest, Most Elitest Duke Fans". Then we could get the personal information of those who failed and drive across country throwing rocks and mindless insults at them, abusing them in every way.

Oh, wait a minute. I'm new to the board and would fail the test! Bad idea! Terrible, Terrible!

Signed,

Overreactor

killerleft
01-10-2008, 01:32 PM
I would love to take the quiz. Juliovision was before my time, but I'd like to know just how long I HAVE been visiting my favorite site. At least 7-8 years, I think.

RPS
01-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Without the old days, we have no traditions. Tradition is important at Duke, and it is important for the elders on the DBR forums to participate in the retelling of those traditions.Green...Shorts....

SilkyJ
01-10-2008, 02:25 PM
He's not. Not even close. But as you and others wrote, no need to panic.

What is frustraiting, for me at least, is any Duke setback when the Holes are doing so well.

Agreed on both front and d-marc is nowhere near the leader shane was, but i do love his defense and his rebounding, somehting we need from our captain leader this year. now if he can just keep hitting 7-8 FTs....

Polarizing? Lighten up, Francis.

Haha.

Barnicke? That guy owes me money!

Your memory is off. Simple proof would be that Shane Battier played in the "Gone in 54 Seconds" game.

And in true shane style (iirc) he even blocked the last second desperation fallaway from dixon or nicholas

DevilAlumna
01-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Barnicke? That guy owes me money!

You're my hero, that's my favorite line of the movie.

And to stay OT -- I think the quiz would be fun. I used to lurk, but took a few years off, then came back shortly before the changeover. Hated the codes.

colchar
01-10-2008, 09:56 PM
No quiz. It would just result in another Black Monday.

:D

Awesome reference...especially as I was one of the main characters in that little play.