PDA

View Full Version : Tigers will beat Duke this year convincingly

novablue4
01-08-2008, 02:02 PM
my younger brother went to Clemson, and I went to VA Tech and then Duke. After the UNC game and the Cornell game, he says we have no chance against Clemmy this year. They are too powerful inside and have more mature and better gurads all around. They have had a good guard always, but not this many guards/wings.

He says Scheyer works so hard on D and rebounding, he can't shoot, and the whole team eats at fouls shooting just like Clemmy does, so no advantage.

I say we win by less than or equal to 4 in a heart skipping game, what do you all think?

EarlJam
01-08-2008, 02:28 PM
my younger brother went to Clemson, and I went to VA Tech and then Duke. After the UNC game and the Cornell game, he says we have no chance against Clemmy this year. They are too powerful inside and have more mature and better gurads all around. They have had a good guard always, but not this many guards/wings.

He says Scheyer works so hard on D and rebounding, he can't shoot, and the whole team eats at fouls shooting just like Clemmy does, so no advantage.

I say we win by less than or equal to 4 in a heart skipping game, what do you all think?

I could easily see a split: we win at Cameron, Clemson wins at Littlejohnson. Or do we only play once?

Their guard play can be very, very good. And I give an edge to them on quickness. Besides, Clemson always plays us tough in their abode (see: Duke vs. Clemson, 1991 - '92 season).

-We are the Earl, we are Jammin', we are the ones that make a brighter day, so let's keep hammin'!

pamtar
01-08-2008, 02:28 PM
We win, just because they are who they are and we are who we are.

ugadevil
01-08-2008, 02:33 PM
We win by shooting 60% from the free throw line compared to their 50% from the line.

stals
01-08-2008, 02:33 PM
And it's at Cameron.

Billy Dat
01-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Clemson played great vs Carolina on Sunday, but they didn't win. There's a BIG difference, as one of my fellow Duke fans likes to explain to me when I bring up how many close games and big leads Duke coughed up last year (and in 94-95 for that matter). Granted, Clemson need only watch replays of Scheyer to McClure to get motivated for this year's tilt, but Duke did beat them last year in the re-match at Littlejohn (thanks to that large end of first half run). Both teams have gotten better, and Duke is playing at home...and we're going to be convincingly beaten? Doesn't add up.

sandinmyshoes
01-08-2008, 03:22 PM
I am not counting on history. I think right now Clemson is a better team. I also think, however, that both teams are close and either of them could win the game and that Duke could mature into a better team. I am mostly glad that we only have them on the schedule once. Next to UNC I think they are the most dangerous team in the conference for us. That's not to say that other teams couldn't beat us, we rely too much on outside shooting and a cold night could always take us out.

Capn Poptart
01-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Do they really call it Clemmy? Or is that your creation?

Saratoga2
01-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Clemson played great vs Carolina on Sunday, but they didn't win. There's a BIG difference, as one of my fellow Duke fans likes to explain to me when I bring up how many close games and big leads Duke coughed up last year (and in 94-95 for that matter). Granted, Clemson need only watch replays of Scheyer to McClure to get motivated for this year's tilt, but Duke did beat them last year in the re-match at Littlejohn (thanks to that large end of first half run). Both teams have gotten better, and Duke is playing at home...and we're going to be convincingly beaten? Doesn't add up.

I take little consolation that they didn't beat UNC. It took a bad decision by a defender with 4 seconds left and a good shot to beat them. They are for real and have the power players inside that Duke will have trouble matching. Right now Dukes chances have to be in the 50/50 range.

wiscodevil
01-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Right now Dukes chances have to be in the 50/50 range.

I totally agree! Duke will either win or lose this game :)

killerleft
01-09-2008, 02:27 PM
It's over.

Billy Dat
01-09-2008, 02:45 PM
I take little consolation that they didn't beat UNC. It took a bad decision by a defender with 4 seconds left and a good shot to beat them. They are for real and have the power players inside that Duke will have trouble matching. Right now Dukes chances have to be in the 50/50 range.

50/50 is a lot different then the original poster's ascertation that we are going to be beaten soundly. We are playing at home, and the coulda shoulda woulda corrorlarly holds. We're probably not Champs in 1992 if Pitino guards the inbounds pass. We probably have 5 more wins last year IF we make one play in the final minute. Did the fact that we beat Clemson and Va Tech on miracle plays in 2006 and 2005 mean that we didn't really win and that those teams, by the same analogy, were going to beat UNC "decisively" those years? Didn't we win both rematches of those games on the road no less? We still lost all those games in 2007, Kentucky still lost in 1992, Clemson still lost last season.... I'm not saying we can't lose, but to read too much into one game, a home game at that for Clemson, is flawed. History shows that kind of thing doesn't translate.

Classof06
01-09-2008, 03:07 PM
I didn't see the Duke or UNC-Clemson game on Sunday but my guess is that the Duke-Clemson game is going to be close. Duke fans certainly shouldn't think we're going to show up and beat them. When I first saw the UNC-Clemson score and Clemson was up by 5 or 6, my first thought was that someone from UNC was hurt (besides Frasor). But it seems like Clemson gave UNC all that they could legitimately handle and if that's the case, Duke is going to have their hands more than full. But I still like our chances to be right around 50/50.

PS - Was the Clemson game a glimpse of the problems many analysts predicted UNC would have without Frasor? It'll be very interesting to see how that plays out..

jipops
01-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Good thing we're not playing Charlotte this year.

rthomas
01-09-2008, 09:25 PM

I guess we play Viginny, Marylinny, and North Carolinny too. But I never heard Clemmy.

RelativeWays
01-09-2008, 09:30 PM

this

Karl Beem
01-09-2008, 09:31 PM

Let alone UNC-A!:o

RelativeWays
01-09-2008, 09:43 PM
I don't know whether to feel bad for Clemson or enjoy some good ole fashioned schadenfreude. The ACC has surely taken it on the nose this year from teams and conferences that could have never hoped to win in years past. Both ECU and UNCG enjoyed their 1st ever wins over an ACC team this year.

pamtar
01-19-2008, 08:56 PM
bumpage.

SeattleIrish
01-20-2008, 01:58 AM

I attended Clemson and NO ONE who went there ever referred to it as "Clemmy" when I was there.

Although, about half of the attendees seemed to think there was a "p" following the "m"...

s.i.

billybreen
01-20-2008, 10:13 AM
bumpage.

Good call. I was hoping someone would bump, for the hilarity.