PDA

View Full Version : Dream - Duke vs. Villanova for women's title

EarlJam
01-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Okay, perhaps I'm focused too much on Duke these days. Pause. Nahhhhh!

Last night, I dreamed that the Lady Devils were playing Villanova for the NCAA basketball title. Why in the world my mind selected Villanova, I haven't a clue.

Anyway, the game was being played outdoors on a full court blacktop behind a convenience store. There was a play that happened in my dream that raised a question in reality. It was a foul call. I'd like to get your take.

Here's the situation: The Duke player caught a long pass from a teammate under the goal on a fast break. She went up for the lay-up.

Simultaneously, she was hacked across the face while putting up the shot....with her foot stepping on the baseline (she was out of bounds).

The ref's whistle blew at the moment all this happened. Duke fans wanted a shooting foul called. Nova fans wanted an out of bounds call. Both would be correct.

So what would be the right call? Even if she's out of bounds she can't get hacked on the face like that. And she was shooting. ????

-EarlJam

Wander
01-08-2008, 01:49 PM
I imagine the technically correct call would be a Duke turnover for stepping out of bounds, plus a foul for the hack. End result is Duke ball, but no foul shots for a shooting foul.

gadzooks
01-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Note: the women's team is called the Blue Devils, not the Lady Devils. Pet peeve of mine, sorry for the interruption, carry on.

EarlJam
01-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Note: the women's team is called the Blue Devils, not the Lady Devils. Pet peeve of mine, sorry for the interruption, carry on.

My bad. Is "Lady Devils" somehow offensive/sexist or is the peeviness due to it simply being wrong, wrong, WRONG.

Either way, from this moment forward, I shall refer to that particular unit of human beings as: The Duke Blue Devils' women's team. And I may throw in a complimentary adjective or two.

-EarlJam

gadzooks
01-08-2008, 02:17 PM
It's mostly that it's simply the wrong name, but there is definitely an element, to me, of "Lady Whatevers" implying them being somewhat less than, or auxiliary to, the men's team. And I think you will agree with me, my friend, that they most definitely are very worthy in their own right. All our Blue Devils kick heinie!

ThatDukeFan1
01-08-2008, 02:32 PM
oh simple answer.

TECHNICAL FOUL ......... if she got hacked right across the face it doesn't matter if she's shooting, or play has stopped. if you get "hacked" it's going to be a technical foul. because hacking someone isn't acceptable whether you're in bounds or not.

Thunderdunk
01-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Gracious! How thick the pc has grown on this board and how thin the sensitivites! I (chauvinist, old white guy, Duke lover) have been watching, in Cameron, Duke women's basketball since the early 80's and have been a season ticket holder since that program was implemented. I proudly discuss the accomplishments of the "Lady Devils" with family and friends. When Coach K inserts Abby into the starting lineup, I will drop all references to the "Lady Devils." Go Duke! Go Abby!

gadzooks
01-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Gracious! How thick the pc has grown on this board and how thin the sensitivites! I (chauvinist, old white guy, Duke lover) have been watching, in Cameron, Duke women's basketball since the early 80's and have been a season ticket holder since that program was implemented. I proudly discuss the accomplishments of the "Lady Devils" with family and friends. When Coach K inserts Abby into the starting lineup, I will drop all references to the "Lady Devils." Go Duke! Go Abby!There is no such team at Duke as the Lady Devils, and it has nothing to do with what coach Abby plays for, nor whether anyone is, in your view, PC or sensitive, calling them that is simply factually incorrect. Think of me whatever you want, but please show the women's team the respect they deserve by calling their team by the right name. Jeez.

Bluedawg
01-08-2008, 10:46 PM

Thanks for pointing that out, it is a pet peeve of mine also. I am so happy they are not the "lady" Devils.

Bluedawg
01-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Gracious! How thick the pc has grown on this board and how thin the sensitivites! I (chauvinist, old white guy, Duke lover) have been watching, in Cameron, Duke women's basketball since the early 80's and have been a season ticket holder since that program was implemented. I proudly discuss the accomplishments of the "Lady Devils" with family and friends. When Coach K inserts Abby into the starting lineup, I will drop all references to the "Lady Devils." Go Duke! Go Abby!

Do you also refer to the "Men Devils"?

I proudly discuss the accomplishments of the Duke Women's team and the Duke Men's team with family and friends, and yes, I will say the Duke Men's team.

UncleBill
01-08-2008, 10:50 PM
UH has the Wahine, Tennessee has the Lady Vols, and UConn has the Huskies, and Duke has the Blue Devils. All basketball teams whose members have boobs.

godukecom
01-08-2008, 10:54 PM
the more importiant question, EarlJam, is....
WHO WON?

EarlJam
01-08-2008, 11:05 PM
the more importiant question, EarlJam, is....
WHO WON?

At this point, all I have to say is this:

-God blessed women (by FAR) with the more beautiful bodies
-I fear the mind of a woman. Whether she knows it or not, it could easily conquer the world
-I love women

-EarlJam

godukecom
01-08-2008, 11:35 PM
EarlJam, I actually meant who won the game in your dream?

EarlJam
01-08-2008, 11:39 PM
EarlJam, I actually meant who won the game in your dream?

Oh, sorry. In my dream, Villanova won, with Duke fans VERY upset over that call.

-EJ