PDA

View Full Version : Kelly Tilghman, ex-Duke Golfer, Steps Right In It

Turtleboy
01-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Ouch. A very poor choice of words.
Golf Channel anchor Kelly Tilghman has apologized after saying during Friday's telecast of the PGA Tour's opening event that today's young players should "lynch Tiger Woods in a back alley."

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3186158

UVaAmbassador
01-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Just what Duke needed. More anecdotal evidence of racist attitudes from its athletes.

johnb
01-08-2008, 02:06 PM
It's not the average Duke athlete who made the racist comments. It's a total of two people, though it should be added that they had few or no African-American teammates. Hard to imagine a basketball or football player making that particular gaffe.

DC Chak
01-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Surprising.

She's from my class. Didn't know her personally, but she never seemed that dumb in school or on the Golf Channel.

Grew up in North Myrtle, I believe.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Commentators and anchors find themselves in front of the camera and needing to fill time. Sometimes foolish or embarrassing things are said. Perhaps that's what happened this time.

texas
01-09-2008, 12:17 AM
it'll be interesting to see how tiger handles this. when the fuzzy zoeller thing happened at the masters, tiger left fuzzy out to dry, did not "accept" his apology for a long time, and thus fuzzy basically lost all of his sponsors. so far no word from tiger on this latest ordeal, but it does seem like purely an accident and no harm meant.

Duvall
01-09-2008, 12:50 AM
it'll be interesting to see how tiger handles this. when the fuzzy zoeller thing happened at the masters, tiger left fuzzy out to dry, did not "accept" his apology for a long time, and thus fuzzy basically lost all of his sponsors. so far no word from tiger on this latest ordeal, but it does seem like purely an accident and no harm meant.

Accident?

Yeah, it was awful the way *Tiger* handled that situation. Yeesh.

gw67
01-09-2008, 07:51 AM
What Tilghman said was inappropriate on several levels. I suspect that she was trying to make the point that the young golfers on tour don't have a chance when Tiger is entered in a tournament and that they should take some means to keep him out of the tournaments. I also suspect that it was said in a joking manner.

In reality, today's golfers on all the tours ought to include Arnie, Jack and Tiger in their prayers. Without these giants, the prestige, money and endorsments associated with professional golf would likely be a fraction of what it is today.

gw67

Turtleboy
01-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Statement by Mark Steinberg, Tiger's agent :
Asked for a reaction, Woods' agent Mark Steinberg said: "This story is a non-issue. Tiger and Kelly are friends and Tiger has a great deal of respect for Kelly. Regardless of the choice of words used we know unequivocally that there was no ill-intent in her comments. This story is a non-issue in our eyes. Case closed."

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3186158

weezie
01-09-2008, 11:33 AM
In reality, today's golfers on all the tours ought to include Arnie, Jack and Tiger in their prayers. Without these giants, the prestige, money and endorsments associated with professional golf would likely be a fraction of what it is today.

gw67

She's a dope. Dopiness knows no gender, racial, or religious boundaries. She'll be back in North Myrtle before too long.
Disappointing, to say the least.

uncwdevil
01-09-2008, 12:37 PM
goodness, what an unbelievably stupid thing to say, too bad her family sold the Gator Hole down in NMB so she can't go work in the pro shop

i would think a person would almost have to be drunk to say that on the air?

rsvman
01-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Incredibly classy response from Woods.

SouthgateWindsor
01-09-2008, 08:22 PM
She's a dope. Dopiness knows no gender, racial, or religious boundaries. She'll be back in North Myrtle before too long.
Disappointing, to say the least.

Incredibly classy response from Woods.

Yes, and yes! Very thankful, but not at all surprised, that Tiger is choosing the high road.

Lotus000
01-09-2008, 08:55 PM
I mean, accidents happen. Was it dumb? Sure, but the rush to label her racist or prejudiced against black people by some of the media is a bit more than silly, I think.

I was glad to see that Tiger just sort of ignored it as a non-event, which, really, is all it deserved. I think more obviously non-intentional gaffes such as this are blown out of proportion a lot of the time.

Acymetric
01-10-2008, 01:02 AM
As a member of the media, she should be better at choosing words, since that is her job. That said, her comment didn't even have anything to do with race.

I wish I could go back and watch every movie and tv show I've ever seen, and go through all the things I've heard in the past, so I could provide concrete examples of the term lynch being used when talking about white people. Its not used the way it was 70 years ago. This happens to a lot of words, without people bringing up their ancient meanings (except to be funny sometimes). I had never actually heard where the term originated (I'm fairly confidant that it isn't common knowledge, at this point) and can see that it would be offensive given that context, but thats not always how the word is used anymore.

Making an issue out of comments that clearly weren't meant to be offensive, or even edgy, if she said hang, which definitely happened to poeple of all races, would it still be an issue? What if it was Phil Mickelson? I doubt either of them would care to be hung, but I'm also sure neither would make a big deal about it. Why do we have to worry so much about stepping on people's toes? Are people that sensative, that anything that could possibly have any connection to slavery bothers them that much?

I can't speak for Tiger, but since people seem to think he's "taking the high road" I'm going to take the analysis that he just doesn't care. Nobody should. Suspend her for a slight indescretion, thats fine, but she should be allowed to come back with no punishment. She said something stupid (I'm defending her in the post, but she still should have known better), but can anyone say they never accidentally said something, maybe joking around with some friends at school or the office, only to realize that someone there has some connection to what you said to where they might be offended? Its happened to me (both sides) and lots of other people. It happens. Apologize, forgive, move on.

JG Nothing
01-10-2008, 02:43 AM
As a member of the media, she should be better at choosing words, since that is her job. That said, her comment didn't even have anything to do with race.

I wish I could go back and watch every movie and tv show I've ever seen, and go through all the things I've heard in the past, so I could provide concrete examples of the term lynch being used when talking about white people. Its not used the way it was 70 years ago. This happens to a lot of words, without people bringing up their ancient meanings (except to be funny sometimes). I had never actually heard where the term originated (I'm fairly confidant that it isn't common knowledge, at this point) and can see that it would be offensive given that context, but thats not always how the word is used anymore.

Making an issue out of comments that clearly weren't meant to be offensive, or even edgy, if she said hang, which definitely happened to poeple of all races, would it still be an issue? What if it was Phil Mickelson? I doubt either of them would care to be hung, but I'm also sure neither would make a big deal about it. Why do we have to worry so much about stepping on people's toes? Are people that sensative, that anything that could possibly have any connection to slavery bothers them that much?

I can't speak for Tiger, but since people seem to think he's "taking the high road" I'm going to take the analysis that he just doesn't care. Nobody should. Suspend her for a slight indescretion, thats fine, but she should be allowed to come back with no punishment. She said something stupid (I'm defending her in the post, but she still should have known better), but can anyone say they never accidentally said something, maybe joking around with some friends at school or the office, only to realize that someone there has some connection to what you said to where they might be offended? Its happened to me (both sides) and lots of other people. It happens. Apologize, forgive, move on.

Within and outside the African-American community, the term "lynching" is often closely associated with terrorism against black people. Many people still alive today saw racists lynchings first-hand. Others learned about lynchings from their parents or grandparents who lived through the threat of being strung up by white mobs or the KKK. If you cannot understand and appreciate why they would be offended by the term, you are either ignorant or unable to empathize (and those are the two most flattering explanations). Yeah, some people are sensitive. Yeah, some people have a hard time "moving on." But that can happen when you and/or your relatives were, in the recent past, candidates for a noose simply because of skin color.

Turtleboy
01-10-2008, 05:22 AM
I wish I could go back and watch every movie and tv show I've ever seen, and go through all the things I've heard in the past, so I could provide concrete examples of the term lynch being used when talking about white people. Its not used the way it was 70 years ago. This happens to a lot of words, without people bringing up their ancient meanings (except to be funny sometimes). I had never actually heard where the term originated (I'm fairly confidant that it isn't common knowledge, at this point) and can see that it would be offensive given that context, but thats not always how the word is used anymore.Some facts about lynching, and lynch law. (http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/1989/1/89.01.09.x.html)

Yes, white folks got lynched. But not for the crime of being white. It is not at all remarkable that a Black person might view the word as baleful, even in the 21rst century.

Lotus000
01-10-2008, 06:44 AM
Well, according to cnn.com, she has been suspended for two weeks. I think that's absurd. She didn't mean it personally at all, she chose a wrong word. But, because Rev. Al got into the fray, there was a knee jerk reaction. Ugh.

I suggest we all forget it, and move on to watching Duke v. the ACC.

ugh

blazindw
01-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Within and outside the African-American community, the term "lynching" is often closely associated with terrorism against black people. Many people still alive today saw racists lynchings first-hand. Others learned about lynchings from their parents or grandparents who lived through the threat of being strung up by white mobs or the KKK. If you cannot understand and appreciate why they would be offended by the term, you are either ignorant or unable to empathize (and those are the two most flattering explanations). Yeah, some people are sensitive. Yeah, some people have a hard time "moving on." But that can happen when you and/or your relatives were, in the recent past, candidates for a noose simply because of skin color.

As many have said, to "lynch" a black person hits way too close to home to be overlooked in the African American community. The connotation there is very insulting to any African American, no matter what the intention was. Do I think she meant it intentionally? No, I don't. But, like others have said, someone who works in the media like she does should be able to choose her words carefully. This, unfortunately, was a lapse in judgment.

Well, according to cnn.com, she has been suspended for two weeks. I think that's absurd. She didn't mean it personally at all, she chose a wrong word. But, because Rev. Al got into the fray, there was a knee jerk reaction. Ugh.

I wouldn't say it was a knee-jerk reaction. After Michael Richards and Don Imus (and countless other instances), you had to expect some kind of punishment was coming. Al Sharpton didn't have to say a word for her to get suspended. However, I hope that she comes back in two weeks and it's business as usual, because I think the lesson has been learned. I also appreciate Tiger's words that it was a non-issue. I agree it was a non-issue, but I still took offense to the choice of words and was still disappointed to hear that come from someone well-respected in the Duke community and the pro golf community.

Turtleboy
01-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Al Sharpton didn't have to say a word for her to get suspended. Maybe, maybe not.
The Golf Channel, which originally said there would be no punishment, changed its position less than three hours after Sharpton's remarks with a statement issued Wednesday night:

"The Golf Channel regrets the poorly chosen remarks made by Kelly Tilghman on a recent broadcast and, again, extends our apologies to anyone who was offended. There is simply no place on our network for offensive language like this. While we believe that Kelly's choice of words was inadvertent and that she did not intend them in an offensive manner, the words were hurtful and grossly inappropriate. Consequently, we have decided to suspend Kelly for two weeks, effective immediately."

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3189374

SoCalDukeFan
01-10-2008, 02:18 PM

I suggest we all forget it, and move on to watching Duke v. the ACC.

ugh

I believe that you are right in that she did not mean it and she chose a wrong word. I also think that commentators have a duty not to use the wrong word.

In my opinion, the punishment is appropiate.

Lets move on.

SoCal