PDA

View Full Version : On Terrelle Pryor

Mike Corey
01-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Today's New York Times indicates that Pryor may be visiting campus on January 18th (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/05/sports/ncaafootball/05preps.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1&oref=slogin), which is certainly a good thing.

However, Pryor told Sports Illustrated the following (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/kevin_armstrong/01/04/terrelle.pryor/index.html) in a recent interview:

"I don't plan on playing at Duke, but I just want to see coach [David] Cutcliffe," says Pryor, who was recruited by Cutcliffe when he was the offensive coordinator at Tennessee before taking the Duke position. "I wish he stayed at Tennessee. They would have been among my final choices. I just want to catch up with him. He can talk quarterback real well."

OZZIE4DUKE
01-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Today's New York Times indicates that Pryor may be visiting campus on January 18th (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/05/sports/ncaafootball/05preps.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1&oref=slogin), which is certainly a good thing.

However, Pryor told Sports Illustrated the following (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/kevin_armstrong/01/04/terrelle.pryor/index.html) in a recent interview:

And as someone mentioned in the other thread, Jason Williams was going to play at Rutgers until he visited... I'll hold out a small glimmer of hope that this could happen with Pryor, but I think the real benefit is getting other top recruits to start visiting Duke next year.

rthomas
01-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Pryor is playing in some HS allstar game today and the rumor on the Pittsburgh news last night is that he is going to announce at the game.

Mike Corey
01-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Pryor is playing in some HS allstar game today and the rumor on the Pittsburgh news last night is that he is going to announce at the game.

Pryor will be starring at 2 P.M. in the Army All-American game.

Unfortunately, the Pittsburgh news is incorrect. Pryor has been consistent the past few weeks in saying that he wouldn't be pledging to anyone prior to February 6th, and as of two minutes ago, that hadn't changed.

Ben63
01-05-2008, 02:04 PM
There is no way Pryor would come to Duke. I curretly play in PIAA Class AA HS football (same as Pryor,) though I have never played against him, other players and coaches I talk to say he is the best out of PA in a very long time. I think Texas would be a good fit, but Michigan is looking more and more like the answer with Rich Rod.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-05-2008, 02:58 PM
I currently play in PIAA Class AA HS football (same as Pryor,)

Ben, you've posted 75 times (currently) on the DBR, so obviously you are a Duke fan. Are you being recruited for college football? Is that in your future? What class (junior, senior, etc.) are you in and what position do you play?

SilkyJ
01-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Pryor will be starring at 2 P.M. in the Army All-American game.

Unfortunately, the Pittsburgh news is incorrect. Pryor has been consistent the past few weeks in saying that he wouldn't be pledging to anyone prior to February 6th, and as of two minutes ago, that hadn't changed.

thanks for all the info mike.

Indoor66
01-05-2008, 03:11 PM
I am watching the Army HS all star game and Pryor is an unbelievable athlete!

OZZIE4DUKE
01-05-2008, 03:44 PM
I am watching the Army HS all star game and Pryor is an unbelievable athlete!

I suggest we petition the administration to start a School of Criminal Justice next fall.:D

Stray Gator
01-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Pryor was just awarded the Most Valuable Player Trophy in the Army All-American Game, and said he is hoping to make a college decision "by the end of February."

OZZIE4DUKE
01-05-2008, 04:12 PM
I suggest we petition the administration to start a School of Criminal Justice next fall.:D

And I suggest we offer to name it the Pryor School of Criminal Justice if he matriculates and stays for four years.

DukePA
01-05-2008, 04:17 PM
And I suggest we offer to name it the Pryor School of Criminal Justice if he matriculates and stays for four years.

Good plan ;)

Mike Corey
01-05-2008, 04:32 PM
I believe Pryor misspoke about the end of February, seeing as how February 6th is the NLOI day.

Pryor's truly a unique athlete.

And he's having fun with the process.

He wore a Buckeye leaf on the back of his helmet, and after his passing touchdown, posed for the camera while pointing at the leaf. I'll see if I can get the photo up soon.

If he doesn't go to OSU at this point, I'll have a front-row seat for the "Columbus Riots of 2007."

blazindw
01-05-2008, 05:54 PM
He wore a Buckeye leaf on the back of his helmet, and after his passing touchdown, posed for the camera while pointing at the leaf.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If he doesn't go to OSU at this point, I'll have a front-row seat for the "Columbus Riots of 2007."

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAA

formerdukeathlete
01-05-2008, 09:18 PM
There is no way Pryor would come to Duke. I curretly play in PIAA Class AA HS football (same as Pryor,) though I have never played against him, other players and coaches I talk to say he is the best out of PA in a very long time. I think Texas would be a good fit, but Michigan is looking more and more like the answer with Rich Rod.

Why he might consider Duke - playing time, particularly important if he wanted to go pro early. If for example he picked Florida, he would not play much until Tebow graduated or left early, and his parents maintain he is not leaving early. While Pryor is a great athlete, he cannot bench press 450 lbs 10 times like Mr. Tebow, nor squat over 600, which translates into running over lineman. Pryor is just a step faster. He wants pt immediately, then he should consider picking our school. He wont get as much as a Freshman elsewhere.

second reason - if he wants to play basketball - enough said.

third reason - Duke is a more prestigeous school than the others he is considering.

so, re, your comment that there is zero chance, and if this is truly what Pryor is thinking, then I would submit that Pryor should reconsider for his own sake.

There is a four star qb on his way visiting in January as well, and this kid fits right in with Duke's academic profile. Others are looking at Duke. If a player meets Jo Pa's academic profile, easily, then chances are good the player will qualify for Duke. And, Duke's got that weather, top 10 academic ranking, excellent medical, law and b schools. We got a lot of good to offer. Football is a few years. Where you go to school and what you do with it lasts a lifetime.

We will see what happens.

Buckeye Devil
01-05-2008, 09:23 PM
As soon as Rich Rodriguez was named coach, Pryor immediately shifted gears towards Michigan. West Virginia was a frontrunner prior to that. The news is that Ryan Mallett is looking to transfer out of Michigan, not that he could have ran the spread of Rodriguez anyway. But that simply means that the #2 QB at Michigan this year will leave kicking the door even further open for Terrell Pryor to start as a freshman.

That is what Rodriguez needs in order to win next year at Michigan. But he will also need to change his defensive scheme in the Big 10 and get away from the 3-3-5 set. It won't last in that conference.

Patrick Yates
01-05-2008, 11:00 PM
I have been giving this some thought. I know that Mallet will transfer out, and why not Duke? Cutcliffe worked magic with other tall, strong armed QBs. He has to sit a year as Cut recruits and coaches up our kids, all the better to learn. Ryan, come on Down.

Patrick Yates

blazindw
01-05-2008, 11:57 PM
I have been giving this some thought. I know that Mallet will transfer out, and why not Duke? Cutcliffe worked magic with other tall, strong armed QBs. He has to sit a year as Cut recruits and coaches up our kids, all the better to learn. Ryan, come on Down.

Patrick Yates

That would be a nice thought, but word out of Ann Arbor is that if Mallett leaves, he will be following former UofM QBs coach Scot Loeffler wherever he may end up, which ironically could be either at Tennessee taking over the OC position vacated by Coach Cutcliffe or at UCLA under Rick Neuheisel.

Abraxas
01-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Pryor played well in San Antonio, my hometown, at the Alamodome in the 2008 U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

The Newspaper headline was "East QB Pryor plays like Young in dispatching West."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/hssports/football/stories/MYSA010607_AllAmerBowl.en.1376e5f1.html

Jose

pless55
01-18-2008, 02:31 AM
Do we have a chance of getting Pryor to commit to Duke? He is a great quarterback and would be the cornerstone of our rebuilding.:)

uncwdevil
01-18-2008, 09:18 AM
The NYT article said 1/18 for his visit. That's today.

Mike Corey
01-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Pryor will be visiting M*chigan this weekend.

He is supposedly visiting Oregon the following weekend.

Classof06
01-18-2008, 02:42 PM
As a lifelong Buckeye fan, I'd say Michigan and Ohio State are the two frontrunners at this point. Unfortunately, I fear Michigan will be his ultimate choice. Mallett saw the writing on the wall, got the hell out of dodge, and from what I hear, Rodriguez has already told Terrelle he will be the starting QB no questions asked if he comes to Ann Arbor. Pryor knows that if he comes to OSU, he'll be better prepared for the NFL than Rodriguez's spread option (which nobody in the NFL runs) but he won't be the undisputed QB in Columbus until his sophomore year at the earliest. The problem is that Pryor wants to start as a freshman.

The only good news for Buckeye fans is that Pryor is trying determine who he can trust and Rodriguez hasn't come across as the most trustworthy college coach over the past month and a half. Meanwhile in Columbus, you have what would've been sure-fire 1st round NFL picks in Malcolm Jenkins and James Laurinaitis coming back to OSU for their senior seasons because they love their coach and they love the program. Hopefully Terrelle comes to where the grass is greener....or he goes to Duke :D

Ben63
01-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Ben, you've posted 75 times (currently) on the DBR, so obviously you are a Duke fan. Are you being recruited for college football? Is that in your future? What class (junior, senior, etc.) are you in and what position do you play?

Sorry I'm taking so long to respond. I never checked back.

I don't think college ball is in my future. I just completed my Jr. season. I play center. I started and earned a varsity letter on a 9-3 teams this year. Though it isn't in my future keep an eye on sophomore QB Kyle Smith. He was voted to the PIAA AA All-State 2nd team (behind Pryor) as a soph. He threw for over 2000 yds and is a special talent. He was the only soph to make a AA all-state team.

He is #1 (http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/NationalLeaders.mxp/optType-/Page-1/selArea-/selType-/Sort-/Boys_Varsity_Football_Fall_07-08)10 here

OZZIE4DUKE
03-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Today Terrelle Pryor selected Ohio State as his college destination, however brief it my be.

Ignatius07
03-19-2008, 12:39 PM
It can't be that brief - at least 3 years.

NashvilleDevil
03-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Pryor is also a highly ranked bball prospect. I know he said he will not play for Thad Matta but he could still play and be gone after a year.

Mike Corey
03-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Pryor is also a highly ranked bball prospect. I know he said he will not play for Thad Matta but he could still play and be gone after a year.

Not positive, but I think that because his scholarship will be in DI football, the basketball-to-NBA restrictions will not apply.

Again, not clear on that...just a hunch.

whereinthehellami
03-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Thats a pretty big blow to R-Rod. He needed TP. R-Rod is going to see how different it is being on top of the mountain. That boy has alot on his plate, especially with the stress from the fallout with his alma mater. I would not want to be him this year.

UrinalCake
03-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Out of curiousity, could a player turn professional in one sport, but still retain college eligibility in another? I've heard of players like Trajan Langdon being drafted in baseball but still playing college basketball, but I wasn't clear on the details. Let's say Pryor gets drafted by the NBA after a year and gets sent to the D-League. Could he continue to play college football?

I don't know why anyone would want to do that, but I was just curious.

Bob Green
03-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Yes. A couple of examples are John Elway and Deon Sanders. Both played pro baseball in between their junior and senior seasons. Elway played in the Yankees organization.

Trinity84
03-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Yes. A couple of examples are John Elway and Deon Sanders. Both played pro baseball in between their junior and senior seasons. Elway played in the Yankees organization.

Closer to home, Trajan Langdon played in the Padres (Pirates) organization, and continued to play basketball for us.

Classof06
03-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Pretty happy that Terrelle decided to go to Columbus; hopefully it was well worth the wait. With some of the recruiting misses Duke has had lately, I really needed this one :) .

Carlos
03-19-2008, 05:43 PM
I would think that the schedules would make it almost impossible for anyone to be a college player in one sport and a professional athlete in anything other than baseball. The D League starts in November and runs through April. Presumably the Buckeyes would want Pryor in Columbus for a good chunk of that time.

JasonEvans
03-19-2008, 06:00 PM
I would think that the schedules would make it almost impossible for anyone to be a college player in one sport and a professional athlete in anything other than baseball. The D League starts in November and runs through April. Presumably the Buckeyes would want Pryor in Columbus for a good chunk of that time.

Exactly, it works in baseball because that sport is played in the summer. It is almost impossible to play 2 sports at the same time and really could only be attempted in a situation where you were playing for the same place (a school team) not where one was a travelling professional team in a different location than your college.

Pryor will be at OSU for 3 years, methinks.

--Jason "and I doubt he plays much basketball-- maybe some, but not a lot" Evans

BD80
03-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Some constraints on a pro in one sport playing a DI sport: no scholarship (Langdon and others weren't on scholarship), 5 years of eligibility once they start college, and they must maintain progress toward degree and maintain grades. As stated above, most pro sports would really hinder maintaining the academics. I doubt a NBA D-League contract would justify giving up the scholarship.

There was the Florida FB QB who went from high school into pro baseball for several years and was able to then play football in college, without scholarship, because he had never enrolled before turning pro.

We will all forget about Pryor this year, OSU has two good seniors that will keep him on the sidelines. In 2009 watch out. Tressel knows how to use running QBs, and will develop him as a passer. Shame that Tressel is so damn boring.

billybreen
03-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Pryor will be at OSU for 3 years, methinks.

I don't know anything about OSU's depth, but I'm curious when TP starts to see the field. When's the last time a true freshman started at QB for OSU?

Classof06
03-19-2008, 08:23 PM
I don't know anything about OSU's depth, but I'm curious when TP starts to see the field. When's the last time a true freshman started at QB for OSU?

Pretty sure the last frosh to start was Art Schlichter in 1978, who became embroiled in gambling scandals after his OSU career.

Todd Boeckman, our redshirt senior is the starting QB and last season was his first year seeing time. My guess is that Tressel utilizes Boeckman and Pryor the way Urban Meyer did Chris Leak and Tebow. Both are 6-5/6-6 but Pryor is the far superior athlete. That being said, Boeckman's the far superior passer. I wouldn't at all be against red-shirting Pryor altogether but with the amount of seniors we'll have next year (especially on defense), I wouldn't blame Tressel for going for all the marbles next year and playing both.

billybreen
03-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Pretty sure the last frosh to start was Art Schlichter in 1978, who became embroiled in gambling scandals after his OSU career.

Todd Boeckman, our redshirt senior is the starting QB and last season was his first year seeing time. My guess is that Tressel utilizes Boeckman and Pryor the way Urban Meyer did Chris Leak and Tebow. Both are 6-5/6-6 but Pryor is the far superior athlete. That being said, Boeckman's the far superior passer. I wouldn't at all be against red-shirting Pryor altogether but with the amount of seniors we'll have next year (especially on defense), I wouldn't blame Tressel for going for all the marbles next year and playing both.

Leak and Tebow is certainly a good model to emulate. I've been surprised how many 2 QB offenses have been implemented in the college game in recent years, and they've been more successful than I would have guessed. At least the last 2 national champions ran that style, but my memory is fuzzy beyond that.

Mike Corey
03-19-2008, 08:59 PM

All of the OSU articles I've read regarding Pryor seem to indicate that this is precisely how Tressel will try to utilize Pryor's gifts: 10-15 snaps a game.

Also, FWIW, Boeckman will be a fifth-year senior; a redshirt sophomore, Antonio Henton, also waits in the wings; and a former professional baseball player named Joe Bauserman will be bringing up the rear.

Pryor will play next year...but he won't be featured until he's a sophomore. As Tressel says, "You don't keep talent like that off the field."

PatZorro
03-19-2008, 11:39 PM
I don't believe that TP gets on the field next year. People talk about what an amazing player he is, but that is not the case, AT ALL. He is a supremely gifted athlete, but his skills are raw.

This kid played at a low level school in PA. They won the state title, but a single Div 1 player at that level can usually deliver greatness without turning a sweat.

He had some rediculous games. He might play 2.5 quarters, run the ball 8 times for 200+ yards, and throw 8 times for 300+ yards. Imagine plopping Lebron James into a Middle school game, and you get the drift.

Since he was not in school for Spring Football, his learning curve will be through the roof. The worst players he faces in the big 10 are worlds better than the best kids he saw in HS, only now there is an entire team of them.

I say he barely plays next year, if at all. RS much more likely.

PatZorro

whereinthehellami
03-20-2008, 08:19 AM
I don't believe that TP gets on the field next year. People talk about what an amazing player he is, but that is not the case, AT ALL. He is a supremely gifted athlete, but his skills are raw.

This kid played at a low level school in PA. They won the state title, but a single Div 1 player at that level can usually deliver greatness without turning a sweat.

He had some rediculous games. He might play 2.5 quarters, run the ball 8 times for 200+ yards, and throw 8 times for 300+ yards. Imagine plopping Lebron James into a Middle school game, and you get the drift.

Since he was not in school for Spring Football, his learning curve will be through the roof. The worst players he faces in the big 10 are worlds better than the best kids he saw in HS, only now there is an entire team of them.

PatZorro

Did you see him in the Army All american game? Granted its an All star game but he was head and shoulders above the best. I've watched those games the last couple of years and for the most part all the guys blend together but not TP, he was that good. As to whether he plays next or not, probably comes down to what he was promised by Tressell. I'm not sure you coach too much of what he brings to the table. You need a first down, he gets it.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-20-2008, 09:08 AM
There was the Florida FB QB who went from high school into pro baseball for several years and was able to then play football in college, without scholarship, because he had never enrolled before turning pro.

That was Chris Weinke, who won the 2000 Heisman Trophey and went on to play for the Charlotte Panthers for several years.
http://www.canadianbaseballnews.com/TorBlueJays/ChrisWei.html
He mostly was a backup, and didn't do too well when he got the chance to start after Collins left.

billybreen
03-20-2008, 09:10 AM
That was Chris Weinke, who won the 2000 Heisman Trophey and went on to play for the Charlotte Panthers for several years.
http://www.canadianbaseballnews.com/TorBlueJays/ChrisWei.html
He mostly was a backup, and didn't do too well when he got the chance to start after Collins left.

IIRC, he also holds the distinction of being the oldest and baldest Heisman winner ever. :)

Mike Corey
03-20-2008, 09:43 AM

PatZorro

Would you like to make a friendly wager that Pryor does not redshirt?

Buckeye Devil
03-20-2008, 07:43 PM
with Mike Corey (except that I think that Todd Boeckman is actually in year #6 having "gray-shirted" one year) and Class of 06 that Pryor will see playing time especially in field situations where his talents can be exploited. I don't think that he will be given much opportunity to make too many mistakes in crucial situations.

For the record, Art Schlichter's first start came against Penn State and OSU was shut out 18-0 in that game and the Buckeyes languished in what turned out to be Woody Hayes' last season. The next year, Schlichter helped guide OSU to the brink of a national championship losing 17-16 against USC in the Rose Bowl in the waning moments of the game-not that this is an OSU football board, but I digress.

As a Buckeye football fan, I am just satisfied that Rich Rod didn't get him to go to Michigan.