PDA

View Full Version : Meet the new Duke Football Coaching Staff

watzone
01-04-2008, 01:42 PM
The new staff will be announced at 3:30 today. Check them outhere (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog)

OldPhiKap
01-04-2008, 02:02 PM
First rate!

I cannot remember the last time there was this much optimism about the direction of the football team. Even Spurrier, who in hindsight was a wonderful pick, did not come with great fanfare at the time. As he has said several times, Duke gave him a chance when few others would.

When is the last time Duke hired a big time coach like this?

blazindw
01-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Hey Watzone,

Didn't see any mention of who will be coaching the D-Line, formerly coached by Scott Brown. Will they be lumped under another coach or will the new DC be handling them directly?

watzone
01-04-2008, 02:05 PM
It's nice to see Duke Football back on the radar in the Triangle. I am glad they kept Scottie Mongomery. He's a solid invidual and a great coach.

watzone
01-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Hey Watzone,

Didn't see any mention of who will be coaching the D-Line, formerly coached by Scott Brown. Will they be lumped under another coach or will the new DC be handling them directly?

I noticed that too. I hope to make the PC and will ask that question.

Mike Corey
01-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Hey Watzone,

The NFL playoffs have just begun.

;)

OldPhiKap
01-04-2008, 02:19 PM

;)

Wow -- Bill Belichick is going to be our defensive line coach!!!!!

juise
01-04-2008, 02:45 PM

Sweet! Maybe we can get a group of "Hoodie's Hoodlums" (or something like that) in the student section at Wally Wade.

Mike Corey
01-04-2008, 02:55 PM

He was swayed by Duke's phenomenal collection of film and video equipment.

blazindw
01-04-2008, 03:21 PM
He was swayed by Duke's phenomenal collection of film and video equipment.

Haha, I used to be on the video staff...I'll be glad to trade secrets about the best vantage points in Wally Wade ;)

OZZIE4DUKE
01-04-2008, 04:13 PM
The new staff will be announced at 3:30 today. Check them outhere (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog)

Are Curt and Zac Roper related to each other?

365Duke
01-04-2008, 05:59 PM

They are the sons of Stanley and Helen Roper who own a apartment complex in Santa Monica, that have 3 nutty kids that live upstairs.;)

Come and knock on my door....we've been waiting for you...:D

365Duke
01-04-2008, 06:05 PM
add another one to the staff.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2008/jan/04/ut-staff-member-harrison-leaving/

watzone
01-04-2008, 08:35 PM
I talked to almost all of the new coaches during the press conference. Four of them mentioned recruiting. The word is that they will ALL recruit. I will have some of their comments up later. Also mentioned was continuity, character and family when talking of togetherness.

"I'm the one that will get up in your face when I have to," Ron Middleton

blazindw
01-04-2008, 10:19 PM
I talked to almost all of the new coaches during the press conference. Four of them mentioned recruiting. The word is that they will ALL recruit. I will have some of their comments up later. Also mentioned was continuity, character and family when talking of togetherness.

I think what I like best about this staff is that not only do they have the reputation and respect around the NCAA and the NFL to get elite, 4-5 star prospects in the door to look at Duke, but they seem like they have the charisma to sell those players on the great things about being at Duke and reviving the tradition of years past.

Almost every one of these elite recruits feel that they can play in the NFL. When these coaches, who have coached in the NCAA and the pros and between them have experience taking players and making them stars at the next level, I think this staff together will bring quality football players to Duke. I'm excited!

Do they know the date of the Spring game yet? Usually it's during Alumni Reunion Weekend, so hopefully it will be a weekend where we see the first of many repeated sellouts of Wallace Wade Stadium!

Jarhead
01-04-2008, 10:31 PM
I saw this on Channel 11 evening news (http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/sports/college/football&id=5871579), and I expected to see some comments in this forum. Except for Scotty Momtgomery, I know nothing about any the staff he named today. According to the TV report, Scotty was not a holdover. He was a new hire. I guess that means that he was Coach Cut's choice. Coach Cut is running the hurry-up offense.

Sorry, I missed Watzone's thread, and don't see any way to delete this post. I should have just linked the WTVD story in Watzone's thread.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-04-2008, 10:39 PM

Yup. They are brothers.

running backs coach Zac Roper, Kurt Roper's younger brother

Bluedawg
01-04-2008, 11:09 PM

What did you find out about the D-Line?

watzone
01-05-2008, 09:00 AM
When I addressed Cutcliffe on the issue of one remaining coach, it was just after others had tried to talk salaries and contracts. Of course, Duke doesn't discuss this and the timing of my question may not have been asked for the answer I was looking for.

He said that the staff was capable of taking care of that position. He would not commit to any coach (there is one yet to be hired). Still, it will likely be a certain pro assistant with experience in that area.

watzone
01-05-2008, 09:14 AM
I saw this on Channel 11 evening news (http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/sports/college/football&id=5871579), and I expected to see some comments in this forum. Except for Scotty Momtgomery, I know nothing about any the staff he named today. According to the TV report, Scotty was not a holdover. He was a new hire. I guess that means that he was Coach Cut's choice. Coach Cut is running the hurry-up offense.

Sorry, I missed Watzone's thread, and don't see any way to delete this post. I should have just linked the WTVD story in Watzone's thread.

I will say one thing ... Mark Armstrong is one of the most arrogant and smug media types I've ever been around. He stuck his mic in the face of coaches reaching over those asking questions as if they were not there on two occasions that I saw. I understand the need for aggression, but he is no more entitled than anyone else.

Yes, my question to Scottie as about being a holdover which I obviously misworded. He was quick to quip he was a rehire and seemed happy. So, I guess WTVD used that question which is okay because all answers are fair game.

I was able to get a few one on one questions asked to a couple of coaches and hope to have them up sometime today. I can say that they were all open and personable.

OldPhiKap
01-07-2008, 11:36 AM

;)

So, um, Mike -- does our guy still have games to play this January?

365Duke
01-09-2008, 02:53 PM
considering there has been no other coaches added yet. Maybe we will have to wait until next week.:D

devildeac
01-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Hey, where's Mike Corey with an update? Mike, are you out there? Any new coaches this week?:D

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Hey, where's Mike Corey with an update? Mike, are you out there? Any new coaches this week?:D

Good question. After all the palaver over conditioning of football players and the role of the current strength coach, what's happening in the new regime?

Mike Corey
01-09-2008, 11:48 PM
1) "Weigh-ins" are tomorrow. Strength, conditioning and speed plans for each player will be devised accordingly.

2) Coach Cutcliffe has said publicly that additions are going to be made to the strength and conditioning staff, but he hasn't decided to make those names public as of yet.

3) As to the remainder of the coaching staff... no new coach announcements this week... which is a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your point of view. :)

OZZIE4DUKE
01-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Hey Mike, by any chance will Coach Cutcliffe make an appearance at Friday's Blue Devil Club luncheon in Durham? I know Wojo is the scheduled guest speaker, but it sure would be nice if Coach Cut would make a special appearance.

Mike Corey
01-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Ozzie,

I don't know the answer, but I will try and find out for you.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-10-2008, 02:12 AM
Ozzie,

I don't know the answer, but I will try and find out for you.

Thanks.

Also, try to find out what the hell I'm doing up and posting at 2:12 in the a.m.?

devildeac
01-10-2008, 01:51 PM
1) "Weigh-ins" are tomorrow. Strength, conditioning and speed plans for each player will be devised accordingly.

2) Coach Cutcliffe has said publicly that additions are going to be made to the strength and conditioning staff, but he hasn't decided to make those names public as of yet.

3) As to the remainder of the coaching staff... no new coach announcements this week... which is a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your point of view. :)

Mike,

Hope you did not mind me 'calling you out', all in good humor and fun. THANKS again for keeping us informed here.

devildeac
01-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Thanks.

Also, try to find out what the hell I'm doing up and posting at 2:12 in the a.m.?

Not enough Bud Light?:D

Being a P.W.?:D

DBR addiction?

Mike Corey
01-10-2008, 02:39 PM
DevilDeac,

No worries at all, amigo.

BTW, I erred on something: Only one Duke assistant coach remained...and he will be announced tomorrow.

I apologize for leading you all astray.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Not enough Bud Light?:D

DBR addiction?

Definitely. Should have gone that route.

Absolutely.

365Duke
01-11-2008, 03:07 PM
DevilDeac,

Only one Duke assistant coach remained...and he will be announced tomorrow.

I apologize for leading you all astray.

on the newest addition?

devildeac
01-11-2008, 07:24 PM
on the newest addition?

That was an answer to my ?? to Mike from an earlier post. I think he was apologizing for saying there would be another 2-3 FB coaches but there apparently will be only 1 more hired. I understood what he meant. Thanks again Mike for keeping us properly informed.