PDA

View Full Version : Two more days! Two more days! Two more days!

rthomas
01-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Will Sunday never arrive! Enough already! Is everyone on our team ok from their exams? Healthy? Is practice going ok. Are we going to see anything new? What is the inside scoop? It's too damn quiet.

captmojo
01-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Will Sunday never arrive! Enough already! Is everyone on our team ok from their exams? Healthy? Is practice going ok. Are we going to see anything new? What is the inside scoop? It's too damn quiet.

Awwww. It looks like somebody got a new calendar .:D Calm down. Sunday will be here before you know it.

Indoor66
01-04-2008, 11:29 AM

Go over to the Public Policy board. Pontification abounds.

rthomas
01-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Go over to the Public Policy board. Pontification abounds.

Alright. I'm going. But Sunday better get here soon. (sigh)

BlueDevilBaby
01-04-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm with you rthomas. I can't wait either, because I'm going to the game! Only my second game in CIS. I'm all :D!

Taco
01-04-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm grinding my teeth over here. I feel like a drug fiend gone too long without a hit.

Devilsfan
01-04-2008, 12:26 PM
I was getting ready for spring football practice.

Ben63
01-04-2008, 02:34 PM
I with you rthomas, my head may explode if Sunday doesn't come soon. It will be double duty for me, watching my Dukies and also watching my beloved Titans battle the Chargers on Sunday evening.

Jumbo
01-04-2008, 05:28 PM

Didn't know you were as psyched for the Giants game as I am...

rthomas
01-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Hey, It's 5:35 here in the state of WV. There is snow on the ground. We just beat OK in the Fiesta, We got a new coach, I got a new couch and Cornell is almost ready for hell. GTHCornell! GTHCornell! GTHCornell! GTHCornell!

bird
01-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Sunday is my first time taking entire family to CIS. Ability to take kids will, I hope, cut down their whining about my hogging available men's tickets (which I do shamelessly, I might add).

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Somehow the long layoff allowed time to think about many aspects of the game experience I look forward to enjoying tomorrow. What would college games be without music from the bands?

Music is an important part of what happens at sports events...... in the pros' games, I think it provides ongoing distractions, but in the college game music tends to rally the fans or reflect something about the action on the court or field.

While many college students and fans know the words and sing along with their bands (Tennessee, LSU, and yes, Carolina, are prime examples), that sort of participation has declined at Duke. Please indulge me while I tell another story!

We have two fight songs, "Blue and White," called a "fighting song" and "Fight! Blue Devils, Fight!", called the "Duke University football song" on copies available as recently as the 60's. "Blue and White" originally had the words, "We'll sing for the Blue and White, Whose colors we unfold." Following the disastrous 1959 football game, a new phrase was added: "To hell with Carolina" and the word sing seems often replaced with the word fight. "Fight, Blue Devils, Fight!" already had the line, "Carolina good-night!"

Various popular songs became a part of the band's repertoire along the way. When Vic Bubas arrived on campus, his influence reached beyond the basketball program itself. He encouraged the development of choreography with a popular song of the era, "Devil with the Blue Dress On." A cheerleader in the Class of 1965 (Emily "Love" Meeker) developed the routine and was recognized when the song and routine were introduced in then Indoor Stadium for the first time. The song and the choreography continue to be a part of the accompaniment the band provides for the action on the court and on the field. Students in the 80's sang along with the band. The current favorite from the 60's is "Hey, Baby," which many in the audience sing as the band plays. When the Pep Band starts to play, "Wipe Out" (another popular song form the 60's), everyone in the stands knows that the Blue Devil will soon be "surfing" over the court.

Yes, I'm going to see the team play! But I'll enjoy the atmosphere even more thanks to the band!

Indoor66
01-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Somehow the long layoff allowed time to think about many aspects of the game experience I look forward to enjoying tomorrow. What would college games be without music from the bands?

Music is an important part of what happens at sports events...... in the pros' games, I think it provides ongoing distractions, but in the college game music tends to rally the fans or reflect something about the action on the court or field.

While many college students and fans know the words and sing along with their bands (Tennessee, LSU, and yes, Carolina, are prime examples), that sort of participation has declined at Duke. Please indulge me while I tell another story!

We have two fight songs, "Blue and White," called a "fighting song" and "Fight! Blue Devils, Fight!", called the "Duke University football song" on copies available as recently as the 60's. "Blue and White" originally had the words, "We'll sing for the Blue and White, Whose colors we unfold." Following the disastrous 1959 football game, a new phrase was added: "To hell with Carolina" and the word sing seems often replaced with the word fight. "Fight, Blue Devils, Fight!" already had the line, "Carolina good-night!"

Various popular songs became a part of the band's repertoire along the way. When Vic Bubas arrived on campus, his influence reached beyond the basketball program itself. He encouraged the development of choreography with a popular song of the era, "Devil with the Blue Dress On." A cheerleader in the Class of 1965 (Emily "Love" Meeker) developed the routine and was recognized when the song and routine were introduced in then Indoor Stadium for the first time. The song and the choreography continue to be a part of the accompaniment the band provides for the action on the court and on the field. Students in the 80's sang along with the band. The current favorite from the 60's is "Hey, Baby," which many in the audience sing as the band plays. When the Pep Band starts to play, "Wipe Out" (another popular song form the 60's), everyone in the stands knows that the Blue Devil will soon be "surfing" over the court.

Yes, I'm going to see the team play! But I'll enjoy the atmosphere even more thanks to the band!

...and do you remember the performances to David Rose's "The Stripper"...no one left their seat.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-05-2008, 03:01 PM
...and do you remember the performances to David Rose's "The Stripper"...no one left their seat.

Now that you mention it, I do! The Duke bands have provided so many interesting additions to the atmosphere over the years, but so have the people at the games..... like the "O" in the national anthem, or the interesting attire and/or costumes which appear upstairs and downstairs. Where else would otherwise sensible people wear a basketball on their heads????? Or horns?????

The matter of how or whether students learn the words to the school songs, brings up another point in the history inside Duke and Indoor Stadium.....

Back when men lived on West and women lived on East, freshman orientation included some tests. I'm not referring to placement tests.... women took a rules test and men took a traditions test. In 1963 freshman men no longer had to wear anything to identify them to upperclassmen, "beanies" were long gone, but freshman women continued to wear freshman bows in their hair for the first few weeks of the semester. (I didn't view it as repressive. It helped upperclassmen find us!) As new attitudes took over, both tests and the bows disappeared. The demise of the traditions test heralded the end of any institutionalized attempt to pass songs and traditions along.

Do you remember when the Pep Band played , "Sing, Sing Sing"? Outstanding musicianship at a school where band is an activity, not a major.

Indoor66
01-05-2008, 03:05 PM
...and the freshman mixer at The Indoor Stadium. I served as a chaparone in 1966.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-05-2008, 03:08 PM
...and the freshman mixer at The Indoor Stadium. I served as a chaparone in 1966.
How about 1967?

Indoor66
01-05-2008, 03:09 PM
How about 1967?

no, only '66 for that event. I did frat parties in 66 and 67.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-05-2008, 03:15 PM
It seems that our paths in time were like the proverbial "ships in the night".....

devildeac
01-06-2008, 07:56 PM

Devil in the Blue Dress tried that line on me, too, but I am almost a decade older than her:D

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Devil in the Blue Dress tried that line on me, too, but I am almost a decade older than her:D
Back from the game and I see you're talking about me.....I'm not so sure about that! I thought that you're younger than me!

devildeac
01-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Back from the game and I see you're talking about me.....I'm not so sure about that! I thought that you're younger than me!

I stand corrected-you are a shade older than me-(my proof-reading and post previewing acumen was terrible today:o ). Did you enjoy being in CIS again?

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-06-2008, 11:12 PM
I stand corrected-you are a shade older than me-(my proof-reading and post previewing acumen was terrible today:o ). Did you enjoy being in CIS again?

Any time in Cameron is great. This game was typical of a first effort back from a break.... and this year the break was a long one. The team got it together enough for a W and will begin with practice again tomorrow. The Pep Band did well. Allowing alums to fill in and play when the students are on break has turned out to be a very good idea. Tonight we had four tubas, not just one. And my favorite song was played just before the alma mater.

The crowd was a somewhat different matter. Too many regulars still on break like the students. There were many making their initial pilgrimage with all the attendant photo ops. I spotted several mixed couples... one with a Duke shirt and the other with a Cornell shirt. There were no fights on the floor or in the stands. I look forward to the students' return and perhaps some clever cheers, songs or costumes. We've not have songs or costumes in a long time. Both used to be staples.

That's my brief post game report.

-jk
01-07-2008, 10:17 AM
... The Pep Band did well. Allowing alums to fill in and play when the students are on break has turned out to be a very good idea. Tonight we had four tubas, not just one. And my favorite song was played just before the alma mater...

My little brother was playing one of those four tubas last night; did you play tuba, too? He seemed to have a good time. (And a much easier drive home after the game then after playing the tuba in MSG.)

-jk

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-07-2008, 10:25 AM
My little brother was playing one of those four tubas last night; did you play tuba, too? He seemed to have a good time. (And a much easier drive home after the game then after playing the tuba in MSG.)

-jk

No, I'm a "Fan of the Band," always have been including as long ago as when the marching band came out almost running..... marching double time. I'm the one who's singing the words to the fight songs,the alma mater, and "Hey, Baby." I'm very fortunate.... my seats in Cameron are located diagonally off the band's right shoulders.

The addition of alums during breaks in the university calendar .... what a great idea!

BlueDevilBaby
01-07-2008, 01:51 PM
I spotted several mixed couples... one with a Duke shirt and the other with a Cornell shirt.

Could you have spotted my friend and me, two young (;)) ladies? I, of course, was in the Duke shirt and she in the Cornell shirt. Naturally, she was the one who got on TV after DM's tremendous dunk. That was her first foray into CIS and my second but first into the student section. I did my best to bounce and cheer the entire game but apoligize as I do not know the words to the Duke songs, being only a Blue Devil baby and not an alumna. I promise to study the song book before my next trip to CIS if the gods bless me with another chance!:)