PDA

View Full Version : New Defensive Coordinator

NYC Duke Fan
01-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Mike MacIntyre, the secondary coach of the New York Jets will become Duke's new defensive coordinator. I don't know much about him. Does anyone?

Papa John
01-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Nope, but here is his brief bio from the NYJets website:

Mike MacIntyre (http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/coach/1145-mike-macintyre)

OZZIE4DUKE
01-01-2008, 09:06 AM

This explains the link to Coach Cut. If Cut thinks highly of him, so do I.

He also coached in college at Mississippi (1999-2002)

Papa John
01-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Here's some info on how those Ole Miss defenses that he was a part of coaching fared:

1999 (http://www.ncaa.org/stats/football/IA/1999/team.txt)
2000 (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2000/Internet/ranking_summary/2000000000433.HTML)
2001 (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2001/Internet/ranking_summary/2001000000433.HTML)
2002 (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2002/Internet/ranking_summary/2002000000433.HTML)

Coach Cut clearly thinks he's up to the task, and I like the fact that he spent some time coaching in the pros... That's a nice perspective to bring to potential recruits...

gotham devil
01-01-2008, 10:52 AM

Cowboys (http://www.dallascowboys.com/team_coach_mike_macintyre.cfm)

His Cowboys bio is actually much more thorough for our prurposes.
He was the wide receivers coach for his first two years at Mississippi before moving over to the secondary and recruiting coordinator.

Last year, the Jets lost their secondary coach too. Corwin Brown became the defensive coordinator for Charlie Weis at ND.

JasonEvans
01-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Also worth noting that he played defensive back at Ga Tech, so he knows the ACC. His father was head coach at Vanderbilt for about a half dozen seasons, so coaching is in his blood.

Seems like a good hire. I like that he was recruiting coordinator at Ole Miss too, meaning he knows how to identify and bring in talented players.

--Jason "let me know when Coach Cut makes a bad move cause so far everything he has done looks really solid and smart!" Evans

Indoor66
01-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Also worth noting that he played defensive back at Ga Tech, so he knows the ACC. His father was head coach at Vanderbilt for about a half dozen seasons, so coaching is in his blood.

Seems like a good hire. I like that he was recruiting coordinator at Ole Miss too, meaning he knows how to identify and bring in talented players.

--Jason "let me know when Coach Cut makes a bad move cause so far everything he has done looks really solid and smart!" Evans

Well, he did OK today in the Bowl game!

mr. synellinden
01-01-2008, 06:49 PM
They showed a great stat today about how much better the UT quarterback (Ainge) played with Cutliffe as O. Coordinator. I'll have to find it but the stats were compelling.

asbcheeks
01-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Mike MacIntyre, the secondary coach of the New York Jets will become Duke's new defensive coordinator. I don't know much about him. Does anyone?

FWIW the Jets' secondary this year was pretty much the lone bright spot on an otherwise horrendous team, in particular rookie Darrelle Revis who started from week 1 and had an impressive season despite missing the entirety of camp due to a holdout. I imagine MacIntyre played a major role in Revis' development.

Also, the Cowboys and Jets both played a 3-4 defense while Mac was there, so I expect Duke will be doing the same.

johnb
01-02-2008, 10:15 AM
For what it's worth, his high school football team won private school state titles his freshman through junior years.

It's also where Brandan Wright and David Harrison (a 7 ' center for the Pacers) graduated; the latter players probably got some PT on a team that won the state championship in 2003, 4, 5, and 6.

duke74
01-02-2008, 12:03 PM
FWIW the Jets' secondary this year was pretty much the lone bright spot on an otherwise horrendous team, in particular rookie Darrelle Revis who started from week 1 and had an impressive season despite missing the entirety of camp due to a holdout. I imagine MacIntyre played a major role in Revis' development.

Also, the Cowboys and Jets both played a 3-4 defense while Mac was there, so I expect Duke will be doing the same.

Agree, but if you look at the overall defense, it really picked up in the second half of the year, after sleeping through the first half. Probably will cost the DC his job.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-02-2008, 04:37 PM

Coach Cut has said we'll play a zone blitz defense. Being an offensive guy myself (intentional open shot provided - self deprecating humor if you will) do the 3-4 and zone blitz match up? As long as we don't play the prevent defense (1E) all will be well.

asbcheeks
01-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Coach Cut has said we'll play a zone blitz defense. Being an offensive guy myself (intentional open shot provided - self deprecating humor if you will) do the 3-4 and zone blitz match up? As long as we don't play the prevent defense (1E) all will be well.

3-4 refers to personnel, in this case 3 down lineman / 4 LBs, while a zone blitz refers to a particular style of defensive play involving unusual methods of pass rush and coverage (down linemen routinely dropping back into pass coverage, for example). I'm no expert in defensive strategy or formations, but I believe that zone blitz schemes can be implemented with either 3-4 or 4-3 personnel.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-02-2008, 07:29 PM
3-4 refers to personnel, in this case 3 down lineman / 4 LBs, while a zone blitz refers to a particular style of defensive play involving unusual methods of pass rush and coverage (down linemen routinely dropping back into pass coverage, for example). I'm no expert in defensive strategy or formations, but I believe that zone blitz schemes can be implemented with either 3-4 or 4-3 personnel.

I know what the 3-4, 4-4, 4-3 and 5-3 formations are. I just didn't know if the 3-4 lends itself to the zone blitz, but as one non-expert to another, you're probably right.

I also know what the 53 defense was for the Miami Dolphins in the "good years" in the mid 70s. The 53 did not refer to the alignment, but rather to the uniform number of the late Duke grad/Miami linebacker Bob Matheson. He played a roving position that wreaked havoc on opposing offenses!

jjasper0729
01-03-2008, 09:07 AM
the "zone blitz" has been credited to Dick LeBeau of Pittsburgh. They use a 3-4 alignment and he blitzes out of that alignment. what it refers to is instead of the corners/safeties in coverage, the corners/safeties blitz in different configurations and a linebacker/lineman may drop into coverage of a zone of the field. it's meant to confuse the linemen and have rushers come from many different angles on the field.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-03-2008, 09:23 AM
the "zone blitz" has been credited to Dick LeBeau of Pittsburgh. They use a 3-4 alignment and he blitzes out of that alignment. what it refers to is instead of the corners/safeties in coverage, the corners/safeties blitz in different configurations and a linebacker/lineman may drop into coverage of a zone of the field. it's meant to confuse the linemen and have rushers come from many different angles on the field.

Thanks, JJ.

Lineman and linebackers dropping into coverage. No wonder Coach Cut wants players who can run.

jjasper0729
01-03-2008, 09:56 AM
yes. the key with the zone blitz is your linemen and linebackers can cover a "zone" while the corners and/or safeties blitz. sometimes, if you watch, you'll see a defensive end covering a back out of the backfield or the slot receiver that drops over the middle. it's different from a standard blitz in that the defenders take a zone rather than leave the corners on an island in man coverage on a receiver while the safeties/linebackers blitz. it takes a great deal of athleticism.