PDA

View Full Version : Duke Bowl Game???

wolfpackdevil
12-31-2007, 08:36 PM
Duke has a knew coach in cutcliffe coming in next year.
With games vs. James Madison, Navy, and Northwestern, and conference games against UNC, NCSU and WF, does anybody think that duke can contend for a bowl game next year?

Acymetric
12-31-2007, 08:53 PM
I actually EXPECT that we will play in a bowl game. I'm planning on it.

Not to say I'll be upset with Cutcliffe if we don't, but I definitely think we can.

YmoBeThere
12-31-2007, 09:04 PM
I would like to think so, but Navy will be tough and I don't see us sweeping the three conference games you mention. I definitely think next year will be an improvement, but bowl eligible in his first season seems a stretch.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-31-2007, 09:19 PM
With games vs. James Madison, Navy, and Northwestern, and conference games against UNC, NCSU and WF, does anybody think that duke can contend for a bowl game next year?

Yes! Absolutely we can go to a bowl game next year. In fact, some of us have already started talking about it. I hear Boise is really nice this time of year.

Bluedawg
12-31-2007, 09:40 PM
In a previous post I said:

Wins next year:

Northwestern
Navy
James Madison
North Carolina
@ Wake Forest
North Carolina State

Long shots:
@ Clemson [only because it is in death Valley]
@ Virginia Tech [ditto, its at their House]
Virginia

That left 3 games too close to call but gives Duke the potential of 9 wins.

Yes, a bowl game is a possibility.

juise
12-31-2007, 10:23 PM
I hear Boise is really nice this time of year.

You really work hard to keep your title as the board optimist.... don't you, Ozzie? ;)

OrangeDevil
12-31-2007, 10:41 PM
It's a bit surprising to see so many posters here issuing opinions while apparently intoxicated on the noxious weed or NC homemade juice. It is absurb to think that Duke will go to a bowl game next year. A single, that's right, ONE, ACC win would be progress. The only thing more absurb is the cacophony from those who actually think Tyrelle Pryor is considering Duke. One step at a time folks. Cutcliffe has got to get better players--much better players. In order to do that some wins are necessary. Next year's non-conference games are critical.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-31-2007, 10:48 PM
It's a bit surprising to see so many posters here issuing opinions while apparently intoxicated on the noxious weed or NC homemade juice. It is absurb to think that Duke will go to a bowl game next year. A single, that's right, ONE, ACC win would be progress. The only thing more absurb is the cacophony from those who actually think Tyrelle Pryor is considering Duke. One step at a time folks. Cutcliffe has got to get better players--much better players. In order to do that some wins are necessary. Next year's non-conference games are critical.

Perhaps this great optimism stems from long pent up feelings over the sad state things have become. You may think it foolish, but I start each season with great hope and optimism..... we can get better!

OrangeDevil
12-31-2007, 10:55 PM
I applaud the optimism, but it should be tempered with a measure of cold reality. Don't get me wrong: several wins are possible next year. But the reality is we are far, far behind the rest of the league. We may still reside in the basement next year at say, 4-8. THere would be impressive progress, but still short of bowl eligibility.

Acymetric
12-31-2007, 11:06 PM
4-8 isn't that far from 6-4. Things could swing our way. I think they definitely could swing our way. So thats what I'm hoping for this season.

TheDuke11
12-31-2007, 11:18 PM
you people who are doubting Duke football year do realzing that if we would have had a MEDIOCRE kicker, we would have went bowling THIS YEAR, right?

thats all we needed. A guy who could kick a routine fg.

We're bowling in 08. Write it down. I'm thinking Charlotte.

weezie
01-01-2008, 01:09 AM
You really work hard to keep your title as the board optimist.... don't you, Ozzie? ;)

Yes, and Shreveport is quite the garden spot, or so they say......

Johnny B
01-01-2008, 01:44 AM
I don't need logic, analysis or persuasion...it's 1 hour and 44 minutes into the New Year and I'm giddy with optimism. We be bowling, maties!!:D

OZZIE4DUKE
01-01-2008, 08:53 AM

I do my best!

And OrangeDevil, who said this

It is absurb to think that Duke will go to a bowl game next year.
appears to the paradigm of pessimism.

I prefer my outlook on life!

formerdukeathlete
01-01-2008, 11:13 AM

we have out-recruited air force, navy, certainly FAU, and guess what, with less talent - even a lot less talent, other teams have made it to bowls and even won. Sure, we play a tougher schedule than FAU and some others who became bowl eligible.

Get back to this past season. Some better substitution, better play calling and we would have won a couple more. Forget about special teams. Just imagine how we would have playedwith Cut coaching. Sitting players down during games after mistakes. Putting in folks 2 or 3 on the depth chart, passing more to our tight ends. An example - just putting this out there - Brandon King, this guy hardly saw the ball last season...under Cut, he would have played full back.

I don't know how much we need to win in the 08 season to help recruiting. We had no wins when Roof brought in the good 05 incoming class. Just hope, just selling the school, yet with a dumpy stadium. So, let's see. And, btw, Pryor is actually interested in Duke. What are our shots? Who knows. I guess we will see.

365Duke
01-01-2008, 11:24 AM
this morning on the ESPN football show. The analyst said that he thought UM would get him, HOWEVER, if Cut had stayed at UT, it was a slam dunk he would have gone to Knoxville. There was a mention that Duke was interested, and that he was too. He apparently has a very high regard for Coach, and is willing to come check it out. It cant hurt.Interesting...:D

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-01-2008, 12:15 PM
we have out-recruited air force, navy, certainly FAU, and guess what, with less talent - even a lot less talent, other teams have made it to bowls and even won. Sure, we play a tougher schedule than FAU and some others who became bowl eligible.

Get back to this past season. Some better substitution, better play calling and we would have won a couple more. Forget about special teams. Just imagine how we would have playedwith Cut coaching. Sitting players down during games after mistakes. Putting in folks 2 or 3 on the depth chart, passing more to our tight ends. An example - just putting this out there - Brandon King, this guy hardly saw the ball last season...under Cut, he would have played full back.

I don't know how much we need to win in the 08 season to help recruiting. We had no wins when Roof brought in the good 05 incoming class. Just hope, just selling the school, yet with a dumpy stadium. So, let's see. And, btw, Pryor is actually interested in Duke. What are our shots? Who knows. I guess we will see.

I was at every home football game for the 2007 season. I listened on the radio or watched on TV the rest of the games. Until the downward slide toward the end of the season, our football team demonstrated remarkable improvement on the field despite losing the games. Injuries began to knock some essential players out for the season (Chesnut, Robin, Bailey...). The rumors about letting Coach Roof go began to swirl around as the season progressed. I know that there are those who see the 2007 team as failures, but the play I saw was a vast improvement over previous years. And it all happened with little support except from a small corps of loyalists. I think Coach Cutlciffe is bringing energy and a winning outlook to those players already on board. As for the football stadium being dumpy, some outside Duke say that about Cameron, especially before the renovations (and renovations are needed again if the restrooms are used as any sort of index). It is my hope that the plans for renovating and upgrading Wallace Wade will be creative in preserving its history (as has been done with Cameron) while bringing it into the current age. Such an approach would be in concert with what Duke is an an institution.

oli-p
01-01-2008, 12:33 PM

I guess it's the same old story, Duke will get better and our rivals will stand still or get worse. I would be shocked if Duke could beat more than one of the ACC teams listed. Get a grip people. It takes time for a new coach and his system to show progress.

Devilsfan
01-01-2008, 12:51 PM
for an ACC headcoach, we should expect more. And we do.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-01-2008, 01:03 PM
At the risk of ridicule, I'll share my personal philosophy of life.

Optimists think about winning.
Pessimists think about losing.

I'm with Ozzie on living with optimism. In fact, Oz, how about organizing a social get together for DBR's at the first home football game?

OZZIE4DUKE
01-01-2008, 02:40 PM
At the risk of ridicule, I'll share my personal philosophy of life.

Optimists think about winning.
Pessimists think about losing.

I'm with Ozzie on living with optimism. In fact, Oz, how about organizing a social get together for DBR's at the first home football game?

A tailgate? Sure. Works for me. Is this something you want me to undertake, or are you volunteering for the "committee"? :D

I wouldn't be too surprised if the Iron Dukes do something big for the first home game. Their annual member tailgate is usually mid year, but an inaugural game official somethingorother would seem appropriate.

DukePA
01-01-2008, 02:54 PM
A tailgate? Sure. Works for me. Is this something you want me to undertake, or are you volunteering for the "committee"? :D

I wouldn't be too surprised if the Iron Dukes do something big for the first home game. Their annual member tailgate is usually mid year, but an inaugural game official somethingorother would seem appropriate.

Great idea! I happily volunteer to be a committee member.

GO DUKE!!!
Donna

Bluedawg
01-01-2008, 03:08 PM

Instead of insulting the posters, why not talk with substance. I've laid out (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=79061&postcount=5)how they can go bowling next year. I don't think its unrealistic.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-01-2008, 03:13 PM

I think you should chair, but I'm also offering to be on the planning committee. Maybe DBR's can develop a regular gathering place for each game...... halftime, before the game, whatever works. As "veteran fans," I think we can organize our own cheers for the football games. If that proves successful, I'd say let's begin to organize cheers for upstairs in Cameron.

You're right about the Iron Duke tailgate party. It's either on Homecoming (years Carolina is away game) or the Carolina (when it's a home game in Durham).

Troublemaker
01-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Very, very unlikely next season. It would mean Duke wins every winnable game or toss-up game on the schedule and that would require a lot of luck. More likely, Duke will slip up somewhere or the ball doesn't bounce our way somewhere. Like I said in another thread, I'll be happy if Coach Cut can take us to one bowl game within his first 5 years. I don't expect it will happen in his first.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-01-2008, 04:17 PM

Maybe a gathering within a gathering.... when the Iron Dukes host a gathering, how about designating an area for DBR's?

formerdukeathlete
01-01-2008, 05:25 PM
I was at every home football game for the 2007 season. I listened on the radio or watched on TV the rest of the games. Until the downward slide toward the end of the season, our football team demonstrated remarkable improvement on the field despite losing the games. Injuries began to knock some essential players out for the season (Chesnut, Robin, Bailey...).

I would submit that the downward slide was due to lack of substitution, lack of utilizing talent, lack of player development. We were not as good as we might have been, whether earlier on or toward the end of the season. Part of the deterioration toward the end was the fall off in T. Lewis' play. Losing Bailey earlier on hurt. But, we had guys on the depth chart who picked up the slack, and many others who were not utilized well as a general matter. Can we spell Ben Patrick, now playing for Arizona in the NFL? His exit interview (before transferring to Deleware) must have been right on point in this regard.

So we have this fixed. We will be able to figure out a better depth chart and put more players in the game when this will be helpful, thereby increasing our chances to win.

cbfx3
01-01-2008, 07:12 PM
I am pretty sure that I predicted 9 wins in another thread... I am standing by that.

my prediction ..nothing more nothing less, but I believe that we can win 9 games. I honestly feel that the coach we have is far and away more organized and experienced than anyone in recent memory (spurrier included) I feel that he knows how to win and will do what it takes to win with the players on hand which are actually a decent bunch of kids that have had coaching that was leaning on the fly.. I remember franks having to call spurrier before his first game to ask him about what to do for pregame warmups..

House G
01-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Yes, and Shreveport is quite the garden spot, or so they say......

As much as I would like to have Duke come to Shreveport, this is not a likely scenario. The Independence Bowl is currently tied to the SEC and the Big 12. The I-Bowl would only select a team from outside one of these conferences if there were not enough bowl-eligible teams. If Duke were bowl-eligible, they probably would go to a bowl with an ACC affiliation.

With regard to Shreveport, it may not be "the garden spot" but I promise you that it would be a better place to visit this time of the year than Boise, Idaho (where Georgia Tech played).

OldPhiKap
01-01-2008, 08:12 PM
I do not think that a bowl is out of the question. But sometimes it takes time to build a winning tradition and ATTITUDE. When the hoops team is down 5 with 2 minutes to play, we all KNOW we're gonna win the game because we've been there before. With football, we have been right in games until the fourth quarter and then, even when winning, we kind of know what is going to happen. I firmly believe that Coach Cut can turn that around, and very soon. But even the best coaches cannot always do it in a single season.

Call me the paradigm of moderation.

DWP
01-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Duke's schedule is a bit more favorable next season, and I could see us winning 4, maybe 5 games. If we start the season with a win, confidence will build and we might win a few games in a row. Belief in the system, coach, and each other can go a long way toward success. If that happens, we might pull off an upset and gain 6 victories. Would anyone risk inviting Duke to a bowl with a 6-6 record? I don't know, but I doubt it, therefore it will probably require 7 wins to go bowling.

As excited as I am about the hiring of Coach Cutcliffe, we must realize that talent-wise, Duke is still behind most of the ACC teams. On the other hand, good coaching can take less talent and win some games that might not have been wins otherwise. Win or lose, I think the games will be interesting rather than boring.

CrazyCat
01-01-2008, 09:58 PM
I will be happy if they just start winning more games. I am not sure about making it into any Bowl games next year. It may take a couple before they do that.

Devils8780
01-01-2008, 10:40 PM
You need players to get to a bowl game. Even if new guy maximizes their output, you're still looking at bottom third in the ACC.

James Madison's no fluke, either. As a grad, I'm biased. Ha.

Acymetric
01-01-2008, 10:53 PM
We have players. We don't have the best players, and we're not going to the NC next year...but its not like we're ACTUALLY the worst team in the country, we just play like it. That's coaching. That's attitude. That's what Cuttcliffe will bring to the table. You think Cutcliffe wouldn't made better decisions that could have won the UNC game (to use the most recent example)? Last year Duke called plays like we were Ohio State or something. Ohio State can play conservative becuase they're heads and tails ahead of most teams they play. We have to attack, something Spurrier did, and something Roof seemed afraid to do. We would attack all the way to the 20, and then try running up the middle three times and settle for a blocked FG.

Under Cutcliffe we:

A) Will not play conservative. Ever.
B) Will not allow for such terrible special teams play. Getting field goals and extra points off should be routine no matter how much better the other team is.
C) There won't be any of this "we played hard, we're improving, wins will come someday" stuff. Roof loved the team, he was a great guy, but as far as I could tell he never got angry. Cutcliffe will love his players too, I'm sure, but tough love. If someone needs to get chewed out, he'll chew him out. Roof was a great guy, but I don't think he knew how to get the most out of his players. Having your players really like you and think you're a great guy might not translate to intense play.

With better coaching we had 4 wins, and more if we got some lucky breaks in the tougher games. This is a lot longer than I meant it to be, and seems like a knock on Roof, but its not supposed to be. I like Roof as much as anyone, but I don't think he was ever going to get it done here. I think a 6 win season would have been the climax of his Duke career. Not so with Cutcliffe. We're going bowling next year, write it down. I plan on traveling wherever it is.

Bluedawg
01-02-2008, 12:20 AM
We have players. We don't have the best players, and we're not going to the NC next year...but its not like we're ACTUALLY the worst team in the country, we just play like it. That's coaching. That's attitude. That's what Cuttcliffe will bring to the table. You think Cutcliffe wouldn't made better decisions that could have won the UNC game (to use the most recent example)? Last year Duke called plays like we were Ohio State or something. Ohio State can play conservative becuase they're heads and tails ahead of most teams they play. We have to attack, something Spurrier did, and something Roof seemed afraid to do. We would attack all the way to the 20, and then try running up the middle three times and settle for a blocked FG.

Under Cutcliffe we:

A) Will not play conservative. Ever.
B) Will not allow for such terrible special teams play. Getting field goals and extra points off should be routine no matter how much better the other team is.
C) There won't be any of this "we played hard, we're improving, wins will come someday" stuff. Roof loved the team, he was a great guy, but as far as I could tell he never got angry. Cutcliffe will love his players too, I'm sure, but tough love. If someone needs to get chewed out, he'll chew him out. Roof was a great guy, but I don't think he knew how to get the most out of his players. Having your players really like you and think you're a great guy might not translate to intense play.

With better coaching we had 4 wins, and more if we got some lucky breaks in the tougher games. This is a lot longer than I meant it to be, and seems like a knock on Roof, but its not supposed to be. I like Roof as much as anyone, but I don't think he was ever going to get it done here. I think a 6 win season would have been the climax of his Duke career. Not so with Cutcliffe. We're going bowling next year, write it down. I plan on traveling wherever it is.

He played very conservative the last couple of minutes in his bowl game.

Acymetric
01-02-2008, 02:22 AM

Oops, good point. I don't think he'll do that at Duke though (if he does I'll be extremely disappointed, even if we're winning I think that for the next few years we should go out of our way to win by as many points as possible in games we win. To heck with feelings, we need to prove we're legit, and scoring lots of points in a win does that to an extent.). I think he'll know that however well our defense has played, putting the game on them to win the game up by 7 points or less is dangerous at best. Our coaching staff seemed to think that down 7 was a good time to play conservative as far as I could tell. I expect good things next year, and I don't understand people that don't admit that it would be possible and not all that unlikely for us to at least be bowl eligible even if we don't actually get invited.

NYC Duke Fan
01-02-2008, 02:49 AM

Are you talking about yesterday's Tennessee-Wisconsin game ?

Bluedawg
01-02-2008, 07:21 AM
Oops, good point. I don't think he'll do that at Duke though (if he does I'll be extremely disappointed, even if we're winning I think that for the next few years we should go out of our way to win by as many points as possible in games we win. To heck with feelings, we need to prove we're legit, and scoring lots of points in a win does that to an extent.). I think he'll know that however well our defense has played, putting the game on them to win the game up by 7 points or less is dangerous at best. Our coaching staff seemed to think that down 7 was a good time to play conservative as far as I could tell. I expect good things next year, and I don't understand people that don't admit that it would be possible and not all that unlikely for us to at least be bowl eligible even if we don't actually get invited.

Actually I agree but that had me a bit concerned.

Bluedawg
01-02-2008, 07:21 AM
Are you talking about yesterday's Tennessee-Wisconsin game ?

...yes....

OZ
01-02-2008, 07:16 PM

As an asistant coach, I am not sure that was his call. Maybe, you have more information than I.

Acymetric
01-02-2008, 09:24 PM
As an asistant coach, I am not sure that was his call. Maybe, you have more information than I.

I think he is in charge of playcalling. I s'pose the coach could have taken over, or said "go conservative" but overall the offense is left to him.

OldPhiKap
01-03-2008, 11:25 AM
I would be happy to have a thread next year, second-guessing the coach's calls at the end of a bowl game victory.

Bluedawg
01-03-2008, 11:31 AM

That had crossed my mind...

OldPhiKap
01-03-2008, 01:06 PM
That had crossed my mind...

My thought/guess is that clock management is the head coach's job, and the decision to "go conservative" (i.e. run up the middle, keep the clock moving, trust the defense to hold, play for field position) is either the head coach's call or something that the offensive coordinator knows the head coach wants to do.

Also, the fact that it is a bowl game creates a whole different dynamic than a typical game. I think most coaches in most sports become more conservative when the trophy is there for the losing.

wilson
01-04-2008, 12:08 PM

The use (twice!) of the word "absurb" to dismiss genuine and warranted (if wildly optimistic) excitement about the Duke football team is absurd.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-04-2008, 12:41 PM
The use (twice!) of the word "absurb" to dismiss genuine and warranted (if wildly optimistic) excitement about the Duke football team is absurd.

I am absurdly optimistic about Duke football's future!

OrangeDevil
01-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Time will tell.

wilson
01-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Time will tell.

No, time has already told..."absurb" is not a word.