PDA

View Full Version : BCS Projections

rockymtn devil
12-31-2007, 02:53 PM
On the eve of the BCS Bowl Season, I thought I'd start a thread for people to post their predictions and/or thoughts about the 5 games.

Here are mine:

Rose Bowl: USC vs. Illinois: I actually see this game being competitive through 3 quarters. The Trojans problems this year were rooted in turnovers, and I'm not sold that JDB can avoid interceptions. Although an inferior offensive and defensive team, Illinois will keep it somewhat close due to JDB's mistakes, but the Trojans pull away late. Score: 34-24 USC

Sugar Bowl: Hawaii vs. Georgia: If Georgia plays the way they did late in the season, they win by two touchdowns. If, however, they play the way they did early in the year, I think the Warriors win by two touchdowns. Ultimately I think the Dawgs run the ball down Hawaii's throat to keep the Warrior offense off the field. I like Brennan, but I don't think he'll get the opportunities to put enough points on the board. Score: 42-21 Georgia

Orange Bowl: Virginia Tech vs. Kansas: I really have zero interest in this game. VT has a good defense but is terrible on offense. Kansas is the reverse, and, in its only tough game this year, didn't impress. The Hokie defense will shut down the Jayhawks enough to win an ugly, boring game. Score: 21-10 Virginia Tech

Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma vs. West Virginia: This game has become more interesting to me with RR leaving the Mountaineers. I want to see how the team responds to an awful end of the season (embarrassing loss to Pitt; losing their coach). For all the talk of how great the Sooners are, they did lose to 6-7 Colorado and Texas Tech. I don't think either defense stops the other offense, and WVU responds well emotionally with big games from White and Slaton. Score: 45-38 WVU

BCS Title Game: Ohio State vs. LSU: Full disclosure, I'm a Buckeye fan, and that certainly comes into play here. Defensively, OSU is the better unit. I know that LSU was hurt down the stretch, but their defense really didn't impress from the Kentucky game on. In fact, it got torched by teams like Ole Miss (24 points, almost 500 total yards and over 200 rushing). OSU's defensive soft spot is with "spread" offenses but the Tigers don't really run a Florida/WVU/Illinois style. I don't see LSU scoring much on Ohio State, but I also don't see the Buckeyes lighting up the scoreboard. Tressel got outcoached last year, and he won't let that happen again. I think we'll see a heavy dose of Chris Wells (who should be healthy) to keep LSU's defense on the field and tire them out. Buckeyes grind out a win. Score: 24-13 Ohio State.

ugadevil
12-31-2007, 10:02 PM
Sugar Bowl: Hawaii vs. Georgia: If Georgia plays the way they did late in the season, they win by two touchdowns. If, however, they play the way they did early in the year, I think the Warriors win by two touchdowns. Ultimately I think the Dawgs run the ball down Hawaii's throat to keep the Warrior offense off the field. I like Brennan, but I don't think he'll get the opportunities to put enough points on the board. Score: 42-21 Georgia

Haha...I like this one. You said if they play like they did late in the year, the Dawgs win by 2 TD's and then predicted them to win by 3 TD's. That means you think they'll play even better! I hope so. The black uniforms will bring us another win in the Superdome!

I say Kansas beats Va. Tech, although it feels like Kansas hasn't played in about a year since their last game. Oklahoma beats WVU because the Mountaineers are in disarray and I'm not sure there's any leadership on that team. USC beats Illinois handily because they're that much better than them. I'll take LSU in the championship game because LSU fans in New Orleans will make Ohio State players be more concerned about their own safety than winning the game.

Papa John
01-01-2008, 09:34 AM
This is certainly an odd bowl season with a bunch of very bizarre matchups... Good idea for a thread... My take, FWIW...

Rose: USC in a rout... Illinois is too young and green to play on this stage, and USC has key players healthy again and finally seems to have caught some rhythm late season... That and it's essentially a home game for them [I hate this about the bowl games--I'd love to see some bowls played in the midwest in snow and wind, and think it's BS that you essentially give Southern Cal home field advantage, as if they need it...] I'll say 52-21, USC...

Sugar: Georgia in a rout... Hawaii didn't play anyone... Georgia had to run the SEC gauntlet, had one of the best defensive units in the conference, and was playing well as the season wound down... I like your score, 42-21...

Orange: Kansas, to me, is something of an enigma because the only truly good team they faced all year was Missouri and they lost, but the game was close... Yet it seems somewhat difficult to tell exactly how good Missouri is to truly gauge how good Kansas is... Tech seemed to be playing well late season, and they have a solid defense... But Kansas just looked to me like a team that will find ways to put points on the board... I think this will be one of those games that is close in the end when Kansas mounts a comeback after being down by two scores, but comes up short in the end... Hokies, 27-25...

Fiesta: I'm not a believer in any team coming out of the Big Least... I think it's a weak conference, and am not impressed with WVa's resume... South Florida tanked against a headless Oregon and Pitt didn't even go to a bowl... Texas Tech is playing on New Year's Day in the Gator, and Colorado acquitted themselves nicely in the second half after a horrendous start against Alabama the other night... If White and Slaton thought Pitt's D was tough to gain yards on, wait til they see what the Sooners are gonna bring... WVa gets throttled, 31-13...

BCS Title Game: Ohio State should be ashamed of their non-conference schedule, and this year seemed to be a down year for the Big Ten [with regard to the presence of top-flight teams...] LSU, to me, is like a team with ADD... Most of the time, it's clear that they're the most talented team in the nation's toughest conference... Yet their two losses (both in OT, remember) left me scratching my head... I think Tressel is too good to let the Buckeyes get blown out, but believe Ohio State is outmatched here, and the stage and spotlight will bring out the focus in this LSU team [as it always seems to do: witness Florida, Tennessee, VaTech...] Tigers, 34-24...

calltheobvious
01-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Rose Bowl--If Pete Carroll hadn't been so loyal to his senior QB as to let him play a half with a broken finger on his throwing hand, we'd be talking about a USC-OSU game Monday night. Most of the country was so drunk on the phrase "41-pt underdogs" that they lost sight the fact that USC was a very injured team for much of the second half of the year. That is no longer the case.

USC 45 Illinois 17

Orange Bowl--Someone help me out with some evidence that Kansas is a better football team than say, Clemson. 'Cause I can't find any.

VaTech 28 Kansas 17

Fiesta Bowl--I agree with the thread starter here: WVU will be very interesting to watch. I just don't know how you recover here. The Pitt loss will live with that program for decades, and they don't even have their leader to help guide them through these rough waters. OU on the other hand is playing to impress AP voters in hopes of garnering some long-shot first-place votes should LSU win unimpressively. They also will want to exorcise their own Fiesta Bowl demons.

OU 38 WVU 28

Sugar Bowl--What a tough game to handicap. Two years ago I felt Georgia was playing really, really well and would whip a young WVU team in New Orleans, and it didn't turn out that way. What many people may not realize is that Colt Brennan hasn't been throwing all season to a bunch of scrap. Hawaii has several good receivers that will test the Georgia secondary mightily. If Georgia didn't have their running game humming, I might feel differently, but Moreno will be the key to this game. Brennan throws for 400, but Georgia will be the team that puts up crazy numbers tonight, rushing for 200+ and throwing for 250+.

Georgia 48 Hawaii 31

BCSMNCG--Going with the gut here, and the gut says that a bad game coach, even with superior talent, will not win forever against teams with reasonably comparable talent and superior coaching. Miles's horrific decision-making will catch up with him against the rock solid Tressell, and BengalTigerNation will finally be forced to confront the reality that the rest of the SEC has been seeing for three years now: the Bengal Tigers are coached by a clown.

OSU 31 LSU 30