PDA

View Full Version : What has been our best win this year?

hurleyfor3
03-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Georgetown, I think. Or is it @BC? And what did we do so well that needs to be done again to have any sort of decent run? Play defense, yeah, try to be more specific.

dukelifer
03-11-2007, 08:02 PM
If Duke scores more than each team they play they will advance ;) That really means the D needs to return to mid season form. It is pretty simple- I think. Duke needs to be a force on D to have any chance to make a run.

drion97
03-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Luckily, I feel like VCU, Pitt and UCLA aren't the type of teams to put up 80 points, so we may be in for some defensive battles. Our offense will need to be efficient, but I'd rather play grind em out games with this team than play people like Maryland....

CDu
03-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Georgetown, I think. Or is it @BC? And what did we do so well that needs to be done again to have any sort of decent run? Play defense, yeah, try to be more specific.

It's hard to say. On paper, our best win is Georgetown. But Georgetown was just a very good matchup for us. They don't have the perimeter players or speed to hurt us.

In reality, it was probably the BC game at BC. They have the quick guards and the "go-to" guy to give us trouble, and we still dominated for 30 minutes. Of course, even that matchup wasn't too bad, because BC doesn't play stifling perimeter defense (to say the least).

I guess the Ga Tech win deserves consideration, because they are a terrible matchup for us, and they were playing well at the time. But again, that win is discounted because Tech stinks on the road.

I'll begrudgingly go back to the BC win.

Ann Arbor Devil
03-11-2007, 09:41 PM
I actually think our home win vs. BC was in some respects our most complete game this year. We played a solid 40 minutes vs. a BC team that was 9-2 in the ACC and 1st place at the time. LT had 10 pts, 9 boards, hard to believe now. At the time we were 18-3.

Troublemaker
03-11-2007, 09:44 PM
I agree with Georgetown being our best win. It was the way we won that game, letting them go into halftime with the lead, then dominating the second half. Against an eventual 2 seed. Not bad...

feldspar
03-11-2007, 09:50 PM
I agree with Georgetown being our best win. It was the way we won that game, letting them go into halftime with the lead, then dominating the second half. Against an eventual 2 seed. Not bad...

Agreed. Our win v. G-Town might have actually been the thing that pushed us over the top to a #6 seed and (relativey) comfortable matchups.

dukie8
03-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Agreed. Our win v. G-Town might have actually been the thing that pushed us over the top to a #6 seed and (relativey) comfortable matchups.

gtown easy. they are a 2 seed. our next highest seed for a win is 7 (bc and indiana). if we didn't beat gtown, we probably are looking at an 8 or 9 seed. we may have matched up well against them in dec but i think that we would get smoked if we played them now. they are MUCH better now.

CDu
03-11-2007, 10:05 PM
gtown easy. they are a 2 seed. our next highest seed for a win is 7 (bc and indiana). if we didn't beat gtown, we probably are looking at an 8 or 9 seed. we may have matched up well against them in dec but i think that we would get smoked if we played them now. they are MUCH better now.

Which is why I think it's debatable if it really is our best win. On paper, looking only at rankings, it's our best win by far. But in terms of matchups and given the time that game was played (G'Town was struggling mightily with chemistry incorporating some new players), and where the game was played, the G'Town win definitely is less impressive in reality than on paper.

I'd go with the BC win at BC in terms of actual performance.

dukie8
03-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Which is why I think it's debatable if it really is our best win. On paper, looking only at rankings, it's our best win by far. But in terms of matchups and given the time that game was played (G'Town was struggling mightily with chemistry incorporating some new players), and where the game was played, the G'Town win definitely is less impressive in reality than on paper.

I'd go with the BC win at BC in terms of actual performance.

at the time we thought gtown was struggling but we didn't know at the time that oregon was en route to a 3 seed and odu was en route to a 12 seed. those 2 and us were their only losses in 2006.

CDu
03-11-2007, 10:37 PM
at the time we thought gtown was struggling but we didn't know at the time that oregon was en route to a 3 seed and odu was en route to a 12 seed. those 2 and us were their only losses in 2006.

That ODU loss was a 13-point loss, AT HOME. There is no way you're going to convince me that a loss like that to a 12 seed at home isn't evidence of struggling. And again, we matched up well with them, they were still learning how to play together (can you honestly say you don't think they're much better now than in December?), and it was at our place. It's a nice win, but I think the BC win may still have been better. It was on the road, the matchups weren't in our favor, and we were struggling at the time.

dukie8
03-11-2007, 11:16 PM
That ODU loss was a 13-point loss, AT HOME. There is no way you're going to convince me that a loss like that to a 12 seed at home isn't evidence of struggling. And again, we matched up well with them, they were still learning how to play together (can you honestly say you don't think they're much better now than in December?), and it was at our place. It's a nice win, but I think the BC win may still have been better. It was on the road, the matchups weren't in our favor, and we were struggling at the time.

they are much better but if their other 2 losses in 2006 were to texas a&m (also a 3 seed) and illinois (also a 12 seed), people would not have been that worked up over the losses at the time. odu and oregon were not expected to be good at the time. the bc wins were after williams hit the bong and got tossed. bc was a VERY different (and worse) team after he got tossed. they are 2-5 in their last 7.