PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Capel, your phone is ringing...

dukehick
03-11-2007, 07:38 PM
But who is he going to pick up for? As a Dukie and the former head coach of VCU he may have an interesting week. I have to think that his alma mater should have more sway. Especially since two of his former teammates are sitting on the bench.

Go Duke! Beat VCU!

CDu
03-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Well, considering he hasn't been affiliated with Duke since the mid-90s, I have trouble seeing what insight he could provide about Duke for VCU.

dukehick
03-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Not all that much has changed in Durham in terms of how we guard the perimeter (which is a good thing). He certainly could be helpful for providing info on VCU. They have several upperclassman who I assume were there when he coached.

CDu
03-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Not all that much has changed in Durham in terms of how we guard the perimeter (which is a good thing). He certainly could be helpful for providing info on VCU. They have several upperclassman who I assume were there when he coached.

Yes and no on the changes at Duke. We still play man-to-man defense, but we make adjustments from game to game. But with regard to the general idea of how Duke guards the perimeter, everyone already knows that. And like the offense, I'm sure it has changed quite a bit incrementally since the 90s. And Capel knows nothing about the current players. I'm sure enough has changed over 10 years that Capel wouldn't be able to provide any more insight than what VCU's staff can get from game tapes.

As for Capel's knowledge of VCU's players being maybe helpful for Duke, I completely agree.

coblue
03-11-2007, 08:13 PM
I'd rather the staff ask if he knows of any tall, quick high school kid in the midwest that might be able to succeed at Duke. :)

Highlander
03-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Do you think K (or Duke) will call Jeff Capel for scouting tips on VCU? And if so, would Capel give tips to his alma mater or stay tight lipped for his previous employer?

I'm just curious whether there is a code of ethics around this sort of thing. I would imagine if there was a vested interest (say if a conference team was playing someone your program played earlier in the season), then this would be a no-brainer.

Any thoughts?

dukediv2013
03-11-2007, 11:50 PM
I would be surprised if K did, but also wouldn't be surprised if he did. K has so much tape already recorded and is probably watching games right now. K is the best at preparing kids for the BIG DANCE. Hopefully this year isn't any different.