PDA

View Full Version : 2008 bowl games

Bluedawg
12-29-2007, 09:44 PM
The ACC is 2-1 in bowl games. Should be 3-0 but Maryland truly gave that one away.

jimsumner
12-29-2007, 09:57 PM
I don't think Maryland is as good as Oregon State. I know they had injuries, I know they beat BC and Rutgers but they finished 3-5 in the ACC, 6-7 overall. We're not talking greatness here.

But don't get me started on 6-6 teams going to bowl games.

captmojo
12-30-2007, 05:00 AM
Don't you think that so far, the games have proven to be pretty even match-ups?

Olympic Fan
12-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Just a small sample size, but interesting that in all three ACC bowl games, the team that scored first ended up losing.

BC was down 0-7; Maryland was up 7-0; Wake Forest was down 0-7 (and 0-10 at the half).

It will be interesting to see if the trend continies. I think Georgia Tech is up next, Monday.

Bluedawg
12-30-2007, 11:59 PM
Just a small sample size, but interesting that in all three ACC bowl games, the team that scored first ended up losing.

BC was down 0-7; Maryland was up 7-0; Wake Forest was down 0-7 (and 0-10 at the half).

It will be interesting to see if the trend continies. I think Georgia Tech is up next, Monday.

Game time is 2:00. I'm afraid I'll be traveling then. I was hoping for a night game.

Remaining ACC games:

Gaylord Hotels Music City, Kentucky vs. Florida State, Dec. 31, 4 p.m

Chick-fil-A, Clemson vs. Auburn, Dec. 31, 7:30 p.m.

Konica Minolta Gator, Texas Tech vs. Virginia, Jan. 1, 2008, 1 p.m.

FedEx Orange, Virginia Tech vs. Kansas, Jan. 3, 2008, 8 p.m.

And the Non-ACC game that is of interest, Outback, Wisconsin vs. Tennessee , Jan. 1, 2008, 11 a.m.

Bluedawg
12-31-2007, 12:03 AM
Alabama won one today they should not have. 3 points in the second half after a 27 point first half is shameful. If John Parker Wilson gets his confidence shot because he threw one interception maybe he should not be playing 1-A football.

jimsumner
12-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Ah, nothing gets the juices flowing more than a pair of 6-6 teams squaring off in Shreveport. I do confess, however, that I liked it better when Poulan Weedeater was the sponsor. You just can't beat the Poulan Weedeater Independence Bowl.

Acymetric
12-31-2007, 04:20 PM
Anyone else feel bad for Georgia Tech fans?

Bluedawg
12-31-2007, 09:44 PM
Why would Auburn bring in a new offensive coordinator and put in a totally new offense 8 days before the bowl game. Isn't that asking for trouble?

Bluedawg
12-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Anyone else feel bad for Georgia Tech fans?

Actually their team played very hard. They should be proud.

ugadevil
12-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Actually their team played very hard. They should be proud.

You'd think Ga. Tech would consider Boise State's field someplace that they're familiar with. After all, they've made quite a few trips out to Boise for the Humanitarian Bowl. Yippee!!!!!!!!!!

calltheobvious
01-01-2008, 01:51 AM
Alabama won one today they should not have. 3 points in the second half after a 27 point first half is shameful.

Um, more shameful than Colorado digging themselves a 27-pt hole?

The ACC is 2-1 in bowl games. Should be 3-0 but Maryland truly gave that one away.

I missed the part of this game where Maryland had it to give away. They rushed for 19 yards...in the entire game (now that's a team that shouldn't have won).

If John Parker Wilson gets his confidence shot because he threw one interception maybe he should not be playing 1-A football.

Look, I'm as unimpressed with Wilson as you are, but comments like the one above don't add a whole lot to the discussion. He's the best they had this season, and he was dealt quite a blow mid-season when two of his starting o-linemen were suspended for four games.

Why would Auburn bring in a new offensive coordinator and put in a totally new offense 8 days before the bowl game. Isn't that asking for trouble?

Rightly or wrongly, Tuberville made the move to go with a new OC after the Alabama game. What sense does it make not to install as much of the offense as possible now, rather than practice an offense Franklin(the new OC) won't be using? Auburn's playing in Atlanta in December, not in New Orleans in January. I realize it's easy to write this given that Auburn won, but as a fan, I would have strongly preferred a loss with the new offense and a large dose of next year's quarterback to a win with the old (and really underwhelming) system.

Bluedawg
01-02-2008, 12:30 AM
I missed the part of this game where Maryland had it to give away. They rushed for 19 yards...in the entire game (now that's a team that shouldn't have won).

Case in point. I guess the dropped passes escaped you as well... it was just a comment...I won't go back to it.

Look, I'm as unimpressed with Wilson as you are, but comments like the one above don't add a whole lot to the discussion.

I was just stating the obvious. I guess you feel it is OK for a QB in 1A football to lose his confidence in his ability because he threw a int. WOW. I think it is safe to expect more from a QB at that level.

Rightly or wrongly, Tuberville made the move to go with a new OC after the Alabama game. What sense does it make not to install as much of the offense as possible now, rather than practice an offense Franklin(the new OC) won't be using? Auburn's playing in Atlanta in December, not in New Orleans in January. I realize it's easy to write this given that Auburn won, but as a fan, I would have strongly preferred a loss with the new offense and a large dose of next year's quarterback to a win with the old (and really underwhelming) system.

If you don't plan on winning why bother to go? I never prefer a loss to anything...but I guess that is where we differ.

dukemomLA
01-02-2008, 01:08 AM
Personally I think the whole BCS thing is a shambles -- and has been hurtful to CFB! Enough allright/already. "Bowl game" after "Bowl game" all with no meaning. It's kinda turned me off to college football as something I used to look to with anticipation.