PDA

View Full Version : Need a fix

dukechem
12-29-2007, 12:59 PM
Does anyone have any insight into why Duke has such a long layoff between games this year?

There may be some advantages for the team in terms of being better rested come March. In the past, many have thought that they were worn out at tournament time.

On the other hand, I expect a lot of rust on January 6. Fortunately, the opposition doesn't seem too formidable.

I has been a long time without a fix though.

rthomas
12-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Word. Seems like forever since the last game. Still 8 more days. Don't...think...I can...make...it.

dukestheheat
12-29-2007, 02:32 PM
dukechem and rthomas-

double word on the layoff. certainly, we'll need the defibrillator and the rust-o-leum but we'll get it going. that's to be expected; maybe it was by design so we could keep energy going down the stretch. we have a lot of firepower and this team is really going to make some major noise this year in the ACC and also nationally. i am so excited about our year upcoming.

dth.

Duke09
12-29-2007, 02:42 PM
this might help get you through the week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N2IJatACCk&feature=related

If anyone knows where I can watch the 2001 Final Four game against Maryland, I'd be very appreciative. I was out of the country for that game and never saw it.

Karl Beem
12-29-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm going to watch the 1992 Maui Final tonight.

Jumbo
12-29-2007, 02:57 PM
this might help get you through the week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N2IJatACCk&feature=related

If anyone knows where I can watch the 2001 Final Four game against Maryland, I'd be very appreciative. I was out of the country for that game and never saw it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwrS5bcJpD8

OZZIE4DUKE
12-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Does anyone have any insight into why Duke has such a long layoff between games this year?

Coach K said he wanted to try the schedule this way. It was his choice and it was intentional. This is the second long layoff, the first being around Thanksgiving (a week off after the Maui games.)

rthomas
12-29-2007, 04:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwrS5bcJpD8

OK That was satisfying...I think I need a cigarette.:)

Duke09
12-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Thanks Jumbo

CrazyCat
12-31-2007, 11:11 AM
dukechem and rthomas-

double word on the layoff. certainly, we'll need the defibrillator and the rust-o-leum but we'll get it going. that's to be expected; maybe it was by design so we could keep energy going down the stretch. we have a lot of firepower and this team is really going to make some major noise this year in the ACC and also nationally. i am so excited about our year upcoming.

dth.

I couldn't agree with you more. I think the team looks good. Just taking a look at the schedule, it will be very exciting. I had a small advantage, and made it to Durham over Christmas and caught the womens game against Bucknell @ Cameron, so that helped ease the twitching a little bit. Let's just hope they have gotten in plenty of practice time over the break and get back on the court readyy to kick some ACC butt.

bill brill
12-31-2007, 12:17 PM
I am writing a column for blue devil weekly regarding the schedule. I found the results intriguing. it was done by intent with the idea to have a "training camp" after christmas, starting last saturday, to work on what had worked and what had not worked. I will have a chart on K's 29 years and have not completed the research, but this season had the earliest start ever, the longest holiday break, the latest acc tournament (march 13-16) and the longest ever season, counting to the end of the acc, by six games over '99-00 and an average of 12 days more than the previous 28. everybody still has the same number of games, although those who play in holiday events get two more games since things like maui count only as one. every school can determine how they do what they do. san diego, which just won at kentucky, has played 15 games without benefit of a 3-for-1 tournament. they have six less games in the regular season than duke, just to give u an example. when the column is printed next week, perhaps dbr will pick it up from go-duke. the numbers are interesting.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-31-2007, 12:39 PM
I am writing a column for blue devil weekly regarding the schedule. I found the results intriguing. it was done by intent with the idea to have a "training camp" after christmas, starting last saturday, to work on what had worked and what had not worked. I will have a chart on K's 29 years and have not completed the research, but this season had the earliest start ever, the longest holiday break, the latest acc tournament (march 13-16) and the longest ever season, counting to the end of the acc, by six games over '99-00 and an average of 12 days more than the previous 28. everybody still has the same number of games, although those who play in holiday events get two more games since things like maui count only as one. every school can determine how they do what they do. san diego, which just won at kentucky, has played 15 games without benefit of a 3-for-1 tournament. they have six less games in the regular season than duke, just to give u an example. when the column is printed next week, perhaps dbr will pick it up from go-duke. the numbers are interesting.

Thanks you, Bill, for your research and comments. You help keep us fans educated in the world of Duke basketball.

devildeac
12-31-2007, 03:44 PM

Bill, thanks for your tremendous contributions and research here. Don't be a stranger-you only have about 475 posts to go to become a starter:D

Classof06
01-01-2008, 03:06 AM
It's certainly a long layoff and I don't know when the players have to report back to Durham but I think we'll be ready for our next game. Coach K seemed especially disgusted at the Pitt loss and I'm sure he'll make his disappointments felt in their first practices back from break...

CrazyCat
01-01-2008, 09:48 PM
No one likes losing by one point, expecially Coach K. I am sure he will have plenty to say when they get back to Durham. Those games are always hard to lose.

dukemomLA
01-02-2008, 01:53 AM
Your insight is always illuminating. We all as DBR fanatics, and Cameron Crazies ALWAYS love your posts and insight. I agree with above posts -- don't be a stranger!! Bill baby....we send our love.

dukemomLA
01-02-2008, 01:59 AM
There are Good losses and Bad losses. IMHO, I consider the Pitt loss a GOOD loss. This team is wonderful -- for them to experience this angst ridden loss early in the season, is a GOOD thing. (Although I yelled and screamed since they should have won the game).

Yet....again...there's a build to March Madness. And this loss can be a + rather than a -. I see the possibility of this team being an Elite Eight, rather than a Sweet 16 -- and from that point on, anything can happen. One and done is music to my ears.