PDA

View Full Version : Look who is in the NY Times!!!

JasonEvans
12-29-2007, 10:18 AM
My 2 sons, that's who!! They are the subject of today's bridge column. I made the Times when my wife and I got married, we even had our picture included. But being the subject of a Bridge column... never in my wildest dreams...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/29/crosswords/bridge/29card.html

--Jason "I wonder where they got their love of card games from?" Evans

dukepsy1963
12-29-2007, 10:41 AM
I know absolutely zero about bridge, but I recognize the skills involved in playing. Congratulations to your two boys!! You must be really proud!!!

I look on the crime pages for my relatives....:). ...but this, this is classy!

captmojo
12-29-2007, 12:00 PM
I know absolutely zero about bridge, but I recognize the skills involved in playing. Congratulations to your two boys!! You must be really proud!!!

I look on the crime pages for my relatives....:). ...but this, this is classy!

Wow. That latter part seems profoundly familiar. As for the former part, I second the congrats.

DukeUsul
12-29-2007, 12:06 PM
95% of that column was over my head. Congratulations, though!

TillyGalore
12-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Hey Jason, congratulations on your kids being in the NY Times!

colchar
12-29-2007, 02:05 PM
My 2 sons, that's who!! They are the subject of today's bridge column. I made the Times when my wife and I got married, we even had our picture included. But being the subject of a Bridge column... never in my wildest dreams...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/29/crosswords/bridge/29card.html

--Jason "I wonder where they got their love of card games from?" Evans

That's really cool. And out of curiosity, how did you and your wife make the Times when you got married? Was it just in the wedding announcements section or something else?

JasonEvans
12-29-2007, 04:17 PM
That's really cool. And out of curiosity, how did you and your wife make the Times when you got married? Was it just in the wedding announcements section or something else?

Ohl, it was just the wedding announcements. Sorry if I implied I was somehow important enough to make the Times in some other way ;)

--Jason "wow, just googled myself and the Times still has the wedding announcement (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0CE6DB153EF934A35757C0A9679582 60)archived" Evans

SouthgateWindsor
12-29-2007, 04:21 PM
That is very cool. Smart kids!! Congratulations!

YmoBeThere
12-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Curious who was the inspiration for your kids to play Bridge? Both my father and his mother (she was a Life Master of some level) played Bridge, but I never picked it up.

TillyGalore
12-29-2007, 04:38 PM
That is very cool. Smart kids!! Congratulations!

After reading Jason's wedding announcement, plus knowing him from the board all I can say is, the apples don't fall far from the trees. :D

JasonEvans
12-29-2007, 05:01 PM
Curious who was the inspiration for your kids to play Bridge? Both my father and his mother (she was a Life Master of some level) played Bridge, but I never picked it up.

Their inspiration is their daddy. I play and taught my wife to play. She and I only very rarely play and have only entered one duplicate tournament of note. It was about 10 years ago and was when the nationals came to Atlanta. We finished 3rd in our flight out of about 100 pairs.

I'd play more but it is hard to find others who play who do not have blue hair, if you get my drift.

-Jason

rthomas
12-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Ohl, it was just the wedding announcements. Sorry if I implied I was somehow important enough to make the Times in some other way ;)

--Jason "wow, just googled myself and the Times still has the wedding announcement (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0CE6DB153EF934A35757C0A9679582 60)archived" Evans

April 7, 1991 - Jason musta popped the question just after beating UNLV and Kansas...good strategy.

greybeard
12-29-2007, 05:52 PM
What's up with the middle names? Has got to be a terrific story behind that one. Stories are life. How bout it, Jason "tell it like it is" Evans, the story, if you will.

YmoBeThere
12-29-2007, 09:22 PM
I'd play more but it is hard to find others who play who do not have blue hair, if you get my drift.

-Jason

Or any hair at all...

diablesseblu
12-29-2007, 11:12 PM
Jason,

I know nothing about bridge but I do know to be impressed by this. Kudos to you and your wife for getting your cherubs involved in a pasttime that teaches them mental rigor and concentration.

And congrats on the "Times" piece. Most excellent.

JasonEvans
12-30-2007, 06:52 AM
What's up with the middle names? Has got to be a terrific story behind that one. Stories are life. How bout it, Jason "tell it like it is" Evans, the story, if you will.

My father worked with Ed Murrow and was a speechwriter for Murrow for a few years. When my dad decided to get into TV broadcasting, Ed sent him to Bill Paley, which is how my dad ended up a CBS correspondent. My father adored Ed and wanted to name me Edward (I was born about a year and a half after Murrow died). My mom didn't like that name though and said my father could use it for a middle name. My dad said that he would use both names which is how I am Jason Edward Murrow Evans.

So, ever since that name was put on my birth certificate, I've been fated to get into the news biz ;)

--Jason "somewhere in my dad's old papers are dozens of speeches he wrote for Ed with notes from Ed in the margins... I gotta find those someday" Evans

greybeard
12-30-2007, 11:50 AM
My father worked with Ed Murrow and was a speechwriter for Murrow for a few years. When my dad decided to get into TV broadcasting, Ed sent him to Bill Paley, which is how my dad ended up a CBS correspondent. My father adored Ed and wanted to name me Edward (I was born about a year and a half after Murrow died). My mom didn't like that name though and said my father could use it for a middle name. My dad said that he would use both names which is how I am Jason Edward Murrow Evans.

So, ever since that name was put on my birth certificate, I've been fated to get into the news biz ;)

--Jason "somewhere in my dad's old papers are dozens of speeches he wrote for Ed with notes from Ed in the margins... I gotta find those someday" Evans

Thanks. Read a biography on the man recently and was blown away. You do need to find the papers. When you stick your teeth into something, other than another poster's hide, you do the legacy proud, aka your recent post about Scheyer.

grey "I still have the teeth marks but now they are so much more meaningful" beard

kexman
12-31-2007, 11:44 AM
My father played duplicate bridge. His goal was to be a life master (300 points--50 silver- 25 gold-25-red). I think he only made it about 1/2 way before he passed away in the early 80's. The part that is unusual is that he was completely blind. He would bring all the cards (marked in braille) and the only difference was that you had to identify the card that you played since obviously he could not see them. Some day I will have to learn how to play bridge.

happy new year everyone

greybeard
12-31-2007, 03:08 PM
My father played duplicate bridge. His goal was to be a life master (300 points--50 silver- 25 gold-25-red). I think he only made it about 1/2 way before he passed away in the early 80's. The part that is unusual is that he was completely blind. He would bring all the cards (marked in braille) and the only difference was that you had to identify the card that you played since obviously he could not see them. Some day I will have to learn how to play bridge.

happy new year everyone

And to a master of life, which your father surely was.