PDA

View Full Version : PAC-10 can go die

A-Tex Devil
12-27-2007, 11:53 PM
Seriously. USC got lucky they don't have to play UGa. A Texas team with nothing really to play for just capped the Pac-10 co-champs. Stupid head coach's step son made it a much closer game.

Sorry, I just think the Pac-10 this year, and usually, is absolutely overrated in football. I'll be back when Cal loses to Air Force. Too bad USC gets to play a pretty good Illinois team instead of a better-than-USC UGa team.

EarlJam
12-28-2007, 12:42 AM
Seriously. USC got lucky they don't have to play UGa. A Texas team with nothing really to play for just capped the Pac-10 co-champs. Stupid head coach's step son made it a much closer game.

Sorry, I just think the Pac-10 this year, and usually, is absolutely overrated in football. I'll be back when Cal loses to Air Force. Too bad USC gets to play a pretty good Illinois team instead of a better-than-USC UGa team.

The Pac-10................may it burn in Hell!

-10 pounds heavier EarlJam

Lavabe
12-28-2007, 07:29 PM

Gee ... when I read the thread title, I thought you were talking BASKETBALL, as in UCLA and WashSt. You're talking football?!?!?!?!

As for the Pac-10 basketball conference ... what EarlJam said!

Cheers,
Lavabe

billybreen
12-30-2007, 10:09 AM
I'll add the Big 10 to the list as well. Give me SEC football. Everything else is crap.

YmoBeThere
12-31-2007, 09:01 PM
Sorry, I just think the Pac-10 this year, and usually, is absolutely overrated in football. I'll be back when Cal loses to Air Force.

I'm no fan of the Pac-10, but the scoreboard says Cal in fact did not lose to Air Force. Also, it seems that you are picking the rest of the country against one conference. That hardly seems fair...

juise
12-31-2007, 09:25 PM
As one who grew up in the Northwest, I got pretty riled up when I saw this thread the first time. I remember my freshman year at Duke when I met droves of SEC homers who told me how overrated Pac-10 football was. Then Washington finished #3 and Oregon State finished #4. The best SEC team was Florida at #10 (Oregon was #7). It was so sweet.

I won't contest that the Pac-10 finished with a whimper this year. There's no question in my mind that Oregon would be in the title game without the Dixon injury, but I'll digress on that point since injuries are part of football. Yes, ASU couldn't hang with Texas. UCLA barely lost and they were without their head coach. Oregon State beat an ACC team. Oregon, with a third-string QB, trounced South Florida (who beat Auburn) by 35. Cal showed some guts and pulled out the win over Air Force. That made them the only team to beat a Mountain West school in a bowl game.

As for USC, we shall see. I, too, would have liked to see them take on UGA. I tend to believe that if the USC-Texas title game were replayed 10 times, USC takes 7 without much problem. I'm glad they don't replay those games, though... Duke might not have a 1991 title. ;)

ugadevil
12-31-2007, 10:26 PM
I won't contest that the Pac-10 finished with a whimper this year. There's no question in my mind that Oregon would be in the title game without the Dixon injury, but I'll digress on that point since injuries are part of football.

Well according to the guys on ESPN, injuries should be taken into account when getting into the title game. After all, how many times do we have to hear about how LSU had to deal with sooooooo many injuries and still only managed to lose two games? Evidently, it's tougher for LSU because they had more guys get injured so they get some sympathy votes. Oh, and I forgot the highly insightful words of Les Miles, LSU is undefeated in regulation.

calltheobvious
01-01-2008, 02:02 AM
Well according to the guys on ESPN, injuries should be taken into account when getting into the title game. After all, how many times do we have to hear about how LSU had to deal with sooooooo many injuries and still only managed to lose two games? Evidently, it's tougher for LSU because they had more guys get injured so they get some sympathy votes. Oh, and I forgot the highly insightful words of Les Miles, LSU is undefeated in regulation.

Expect an announcement from the SEC office next Tuesday morning after the BCS game. Commissioner Mike Slive was so compelled by Les Miles's "we never lost in regulation" argument that he's decided to take the logic two minutes further: under the "What's your record after 58 minutes" standard, as soon as everybody fulfills their contractual obligations to play their bowl games, 7-1 Arkansas will meet 7-1 Florida in a redo of the SEC Championship game.

ugadevil
01-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Expect an announcement from the SEC office next Tuesday morning after the BCS game. Commissioner Mike Slive was so compelled by Les Miles's "we never lost in regulation" argument that he's decided to take the logic two minutes further: under the "What's your record after 58 minutes" standard, as soon as everybody fulfills their contractual obligations to play their bowl games, 7-1 Arkansas will meet 7-1 Florida in a redo of the SEC Championship game.

I think they should figure out the amount of teams that were undefeated after the opening kickoff and then figure out who plays for the championship.

Cavlaw
01-01-2008, 12:59 PM
I think they should figure out the amount of teams that were undefeated after the opening kickoff and then figure out who plays for the championship.
I like that, the Bears would have won the Superbowl last year. :)

A-Tex Devil
01-01-2008, 11:57 PM
I'll eat a little crow. The PAC-10 has shown up very well this year -- other than ASU and UCLA. I had a heated discussion that night -- before the Holiday Bowl game -- about the relative "disrespect" the Pac-10 gets. After the Holiday Bowl, I thought it might be nice to bring that discussion over here. A little too much vitriol in the initial post -- and for that, I apologize. I still wish I was watching a USC-UGa Rose Bowl though.

I'll venture out there and say that the Pac-10 is neither as bad as it's detractors say, nor as good or disrespected as it's proponents claim. But this is like the third time in recent memory that a Pac-10 team missed out on the BCS and complained loudly about it and went on to get dismantled in their bowl game -- usually by the 3rd or 4th best team in the Big XII in the Holiday Bowl. Cal circa 2004 comes to mind and the "travesty" of UT getting selected ahead of them into the Rose Bowl.

It turns out it's the ACC has been the saddest looking major conference thus far. Yikes!! Thanks BC and Wake.

YmoBeThere
01-04-2008, 07:09 PM
It turns out it's the ACC has been the saddest looking major conference thus far. Yikes!! Thanks BC and Wake.

Well, it turned out atrociously for the ACC. Though VA Tech's loss doesn't look that bad on paper...