PDA

View Full Version : Cavs to the Final Four

devildownunder
03-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Don't be surprised to see the Wahoos in Atlanta.

If they can get their act together and actually play quality games away from home, I think their draw is quite good. Only the 1 seed, Ohio State, outclasses them and their veteran backcourt could make a world of difference against all of those young players the buckeyes start in a big game.

dukelifer
03-11-2007, 07:03 PM

If they can get their act together and actually play quality games away from home, I think their draw is quite good. Only the 1 seed, Ohio State, outclasses them and their veteran backcourt could make a world of difference against all of those young players the buckeyes start in a big game.

Losing to Wake when they could have clinched it shows that UVa may not have what it takes to make that kind of run.

coblue
03-11-2007, 07:08 PM
.......Ah, NO

Oriole Way
03-11-2007, 07:17 PM

I have to vehemently disagree. The Cavs away from home - on road and neutral sites - leave a lot to be desired.

They lost one game at home this year I believe... they're a different team at JPJ.

Troublemaker
03-11-2007, 07:19 PM
UVA's going nowhere.

devildownunder
03-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Losing to Wake when they could have clinched it shows that UVa may not have what it takes to make that kind of run.

Or it could just be that they failed because it was the first time any of their players were in the position to play such a meaningful game and now, having gotten a taste of pressure, they'll do better. Wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.

devildownunder
03-11-2007, 07:22 PM
I have to vehemently disagree. The Cavs away from home - on road and neutral sites - leave a lot to be desired.

They lost one game at home this year I believe... they're a different team at JPJ.

As I said, they have to learn how to take their game on the road with them. Props to you though for coming up with something to say besides "Ah, NO." That was insightful

devildownunder
03-11-2007, 07:23 PM
UVA's going nowhere.

we shall soon see. They have a veteran leader in the backcourt, which means a lot this time of year, and a seemingly good draw.

CDu
03-11-2007, 07:30 PM
I don't think there's much hope for UVa to get to the Final Four. They don't play well away from home, and they have no interior presence. They have an explosive pair of guards, but they've not been successful against a single top-flight team (i.e., top 2-3 seed team) this season. I'm not convinced they'd even get past Tennessee, who will have possibly the best player on the court in that game (Chris Lofton). And while Ohio St is young, they have more size, better post play, and more depth. And their talent sure isn't shabby. I just can't see UVa getting past the Sweet 16.

MattyB.
03-11-2007, 07:38 PM
if Singletary and JR play anything like they did against Wake. They may even play well, and Smalbany could still win. This is nearly the same Albany team which nearly beat UConn in last year's tourney, and who just beat Vermont on their home floor to win their conference tourney. They've got the chops to pull the upset. Especially with UVA's noted road woes.

hurleyfor3
03-11-2007, 07:40 PM
I'm thinking LB State/Albany will be our first 12/13 game in several years.

daniel
03-11-2007, 07:49 PM
i have to agree with you guys....we are just so inconsistent on the road...and especially with the recent news of reynolds not practicing much because of an abdominal strain, it will be extremely tough..i sure hope i am wrong but teams sometimes can catch fire at the right time...did everyone really expect state to be in the finals of the acc....i for one did not...special things seem to happen this time of year....and hopefully devildownunder's prediction will come true.....

also, best of luck to you guys.....

coblue
03-11-2007, 07:53 PM
As I said, they have to learn how to take their game on the road with them. Props to you though for coming up with something to say besides "Ah, NO." That was insightful

And yet it totally summed up the general sentiment of the thread. Whats that say about the thesis?

devildownunder
03-11-2007, 07:56 PM
I don't think there's much hope for UVa to get to the Final Four. They don't play well away from home, and they have no interior presence. They have an explosive pair of guards, but they've not been successful against a single top-flight team (i.e., top 2-3 seed team) this season. I'm not convinced they'd even get past Tennessee, who will have possibly the best player on the court in that game (Chris Lofton). And while Ohio St is young, they have more size, better post play, and more depth. And their talent sure isn't shabby. I just can't see UVa getting past the Sweet 16.

that's where the cavaliers are vulnerable, for sure. Ohio State, then, is probably the toughest matchup for them. At some point, though, OSU's freshmen will feel the pressure. If Virginia can take their game on the road with them, I think they can be the ones to take advantage of it.

devildownunder
03-11-2007, 07:57 PM
And yet it totally summed up the general sentiment of the thread. Whats that say about the thesis?

.Nothing..

Forrest
03-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Albany's backcourt of Smith and Siggers matches up well with Singletary and Reynolds. Offensively, Jamar Smith can put Singletary back on his heels and force him to expend a lot of effort on D. UVa is bigger up front, but not necessarily that much better. If Reynolds is less than 100% and Singletary is missing, as he has been lately, the Great Danes could well advance.

I think UVa's 4 seed is pretty generous, and I have Albany as the 13/4 upset in my bracket.

CDu
03-11-2007, 08:20 PM
that's where the cavaliers are vulnerable, for sure. Ohio State, then, is probably the toughest matchup for them. At some point, though, OSU's freshmen will feel the pressure. If Virginia can take their game on the road with them, I think they can be the ones to take advantage of it.

You're assuming that UVa will figure out how to win on the road, AND that Ohio St's team is going to feel the pressure. I just don't see either one happening. Ohio St has been playing tough games all season. They scrapped without UNC at UNC without Oden, and nearly came out with a win before fading in the final minutes. They nearly beat Wisconsin at Wisconsin (which nobody does). They came back and won a nailbiter at home against Wisconsin, and then walloped Wisconsin in the Big-10 tourney to lock up a #1 seed. Meanwhile, what evidence has UVa shown that they're going to figure it out? They're a veteran team, yet they've NEVER been able to win on the road.

To be honest, I'd not be surprised if UVa isn't out prior to the Sweet 16. Albany isn't a pushover, and Tennessee has a better resume (beating Texas, Memphis, and Florida, and nearly winning at Ohio St). And if they do get past those two, I'd take Ohio St with lots of confidence over UVa.

devildownunder
03-11-2007, 08:26 PM
You're assuming that UVa will figure out how to win on the road, AND that Ohio St's team is going to feel the pressure. I just don't see either one happening. Ohio St has been playing tough games all season. They scrapped without UNC at UNC without Oden, and nearly came out with a win before fading in the final minutes. They nearly beat Wisconsin at Wisconsin (which nobody does). They came back and won a nailbiter at home against Wisconsin, and then walloped Wisconsin in the Big-10 tourney to lock up a #1 seed. Meanwhile, what evidence has UVa shown that they're going to figure it out? They're a veteran team, yet they've NEVER been able to win on the road.

To be honest, I'd not be surprised if UVa isn't out prior to the Sweet 16. Albany isn't a pushover, and Tennessee has a better resume (beating Texas, Memphis, and Florida, and nearly winning at Ohio St). And if they do get past those two, I'd take Ohio St with lots of confidence over UVa.

I've said more than once on this thread that this can happen only if UVA learns how to take their game on the road with them. I admit this is an audacious pick but don't act like I haven't acknowledged some things have to change for it to happen.

Virginian
03-11-2007, 08:35 PM
You can't go into the big tournament with only one healthy horse. That's not enough to get to the Final Four. I'd be happy to see UVA get to the Final Four -- I'd LOVE an all-ACC Final Four. But no way this UVA team gets to the Elite 8 IMO.

npdevil27
03-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Albany knocks them off in the 1st round.

Nor would I be surprised to see VCU knock Duke off, for that matter.

CDu
03-11-2007, 09:13 PM
I've said more than once on this thread that this can happen only if UVA learns how to take their game on the road with them. I admit this is an audacious pick but don't act like I haven't acknowledged some things have to change for it to happen.

Yes, but you predicted that it would happen. I'm simply saying why I think it won't happen. I fully realize you admit that some unexpected things have to happen. I'm just saying I don't think those unexpected things will happen.

If you're going to make an admittedly audacious pick, then you shouldn't be so offended when people state why they think your prediction won't happen.

oso diablo
03-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Virginia has lost its last 4 non-home games, including a 37-point drubbing at Va Tech, a loss to the ACC's last place team (Miami), a loss to the ACC's 11th place team (Wake), and a loss to the ACC's 10th place team (NCSU).

Earlier in the season, they went to Puerto Rico for a holiday tournament, and lost in the first round to Appalachian State, then lost in the consolation bracket to Utah, a team that finished 11-19. They did manage to win their 3rd game there, a 7 point victory over Puerto Rico-Mayaguez, a non-D1 team.

This is not the resume of a Final Four team. It is the resume of a first-round upset victim.

feldspar
03-11-2007, 10:01 PM
i have to agree with you guys....we are just so inconsistent on the road...and especially with the recent news of reynolds not practicing much because of an abdominal strain, it will be extremely tough..i sure hope i am wrong but teams sometimes can catch fire at the right time...did everyone really expect state to be in the finals of the acc....i for one did not...special things seem to happen this time of year....and hopefully devildownunder's prediction will come true.....

also, best of luck to you guys.....

thanks, daniel. I'm rooting for your Wahoos. It's been great to see them at the top of the ACC this year (although I still would have liked to see Duke above them, of course) :)

Guards usually end up being the difference, and you guys have a couple of really great ones. Good luck. And go ACC! (except, of course, for UNC)

CDu
03-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Guards usually end up being the difference, and you guys have a couple of really great ones. Good luck. And go ACC! (except, of course, for UNC)

I disagree. Yes, you have to have good guard play to succeed. But can you name me five Final Four teams in the last 20 years didn't have very solid big man play? Last year didn't have one. Two years ago didn't, either (Illinois had a very solid center and a strong power forward). I'm hard-pressed to think of many examples ever.

Guard play can win you one or two games. But once you reach the second week, it's the teams that can get it done inside that advance.

throatybeard
03-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Cavs to the Final Four

Is it Lacrosse post season already?

devildownunder
03-12-2007, 07:03 AM
Yes, but you predicted that it would happen. I'm simply saying why I think it won't happen. I fully realize you admit that some unexpected things have to happen. I'm just saying I don't think those unexpected things will happen.

If you're going to make an admittedly audacious pick, then you shouldn't be so offended when people state why they think your prediction won't happen.

my objection was to so many posts that mentioned UVA's atrocious road record, as if I wasn't aware of it when I had made clear that I was.

No worries. It's just a pick for a game.

devildownunder
03-16-2007, 06:39 PM
I'm posting this while I still have the chance!:D

Well done Cavaliers. 1 down, 3 to go!

feldspar
03-16-2007, 07:53 PM
UVa - Tennessee's going to be a great game. The Cavs have their work cut out for them on defense.

devildownunder
03-17-2007, 12:08 AM
UVa - Tennessee's going to be a great game. The Cavs have their work cut out for them on defense.

yep. i think so, too. I'm interested to see the tempo in that one. I know UVA isn't exactly a slow-down team but I suspect they would do better to keep the store out of the high 80s against Tennessee.

We'll see.

Cameron
03-17-2007, 01:27 PM
I think Lofton and Tennessee will be too much for Virginia. It is very hard to keep Tennesse from running and jacking up threes, and, if they are hitting, the Cavs are going home. Singletary and Reynolds will have to score 25 a piece to knock off the Vols, especially with the way the Big Orange are firing right now.