PDA

View Full Version : 133-15

DukeBlood
12-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Happens to be the Win/Loss record of Shane Battier. As far as I can tell thats the best 4-year career at Duke.

Just curious if anyone believes that Kyle Singler, Nolan Smith, and Taylor King can achieve that type of greatness while at Duke. Of course this is assuming Kyle Singler is a 4 year college guy.

I believe that this will be their WORST year. If they don't achieve this great career record, I believe the downfall will be the lack of post play.

Any thoughts? I just found it interesting.. I know thats looking ahead TOO far. Just feel as if Kyle Singler will bring greatness to Duke. Not sure why

VaDukie
12-26-2007, 02:23 PM
I think that mark is out of reach for good. Battier's teams won 32, 37, 29, and 35 games. His 'worst' team was the 29-5 2000 squad that won the ACC regular season, tournament, and finished the year as the #1 team in the country. You're not afforded anything less than a great year to reach that mark, and while I think this team is very, very good, I don't think they're great and will need quite a run in March to reach 29 games. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

YmoBeThere
12-26-2007, 02:39 PM
I agree with VaDukie...but for me those who played for the '90-91 and '91-'92 teams achieved something greater. Titles matter a little more IMHO than pure win loss.

Of course, I was in school at that time, so that may be clouding my judgement! ;)

DukeBlood
12-26-2007, 02:42 PM
I agree with VaDukie...but for me those who played for the '90-91 and '91-'92 teams achieved something greater. Titles matter a little more IMHO than pure win loss.

Of course, I was in school at that time, so that may be clouding my judgement! ;)

I agree. Title's are way more important. But i just thought that record was pretty impressive. Im hoping Kyle Singler can bring a title or two.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-26-2007, 02:44 PM

What you've said paraphrases what Coach K has said many times including when asked about Duke football. Championships are the ultimate goal. Wins take place along the way.

Karl Beem
12-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Happens to be the Win/Loss record of Shane Battier. As far as I can tell thats the best 4-year career at Duke.

Just curious if anyone believes that Kyle Singler, Nolan Smith, and Taylor King can achieve that type of greatness while at Duke. Of course this is assuming Kyle Singler is a 4 year college guy.

I believe that this will be their WORST year. If they don't achieve this great career record, I believe the downfall will be the lack of post play.

Any thoughts? I just found it interesting.. I know thats looking ahead TOO far. Just feel as if Kyle Singler will bring greatness to Duke. Not sure why

Some of Shane's teammates: Elton Brand, Chris Carrawell, Trajan, JW, Boozer, Dunleavy. Avery, Wojo, Maggette.

dukestheheat
12-26-2007, 03:42 PM
dukeblood-

i sure hope they win that much; also, i surely hope singler stays in college for more than one year. the boy is ready now. he's a machine.

dth.

DWP
12-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Two reasons I do not believe that record will be attained. First, Shane Battier and Nate James were two of the best leaders I have seen at Duke. Second, Shane and Nate were seniors. It is unlikely that the entire freshman class will be at Duke for four years.

msdukie
12-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Shane's 133 wins in 4 years is the NCAA record. I'd say it is highly unlikely any class could beat it.

Carlos
12-26-2007, 05:23 PM
dukeblood-

i sure hope they win that much; also, i surely hope singler stays in college for more than one year. the boy is ready now. he's a machine.

dth.

Ready for what now? Singler is far from ready for the pros right now. He's a great player but many of the things he's doing right now that make him great may not translate to the pro league against bigger opponents.

DukeBlood
12-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Shane's 133 wins in 4 years is the NCAA record. I'd say it is highly unlikely any class could beat it.

I thought the UCLA players had the record for wins during a 4 year period? Somebody please correct me if im wrong.

Nvm. I looked it up. They went 117-3 during a 4 year period.

Classof06
12-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Ready for what now? Singler is far from ready for the pros right now. He's a great player but many of the things he's doing right now that make him great may not translate to the pro league against bigger opponents.

I'm with you, I don't think Singler's ready for the league at all. In fact, a lot of my non-Duke-fan friends think Singler could eventually be a National POY and still not quite have his talents translate to the NBA.

Obviously it's only December and you can see him getting more comfortable with each passing game but my jaw would hit the floor if Singler decided to declare. My prediction is that he's a 3 year player and if he did leave after 3, it's be with a degree in hand. But I could easily see Singler stay 4. And as a side note, I think Gerald is going to stay at Duke longer than people expect.

DukeBlood
12-26-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm with you, I don't think Singler's ready for the league at all. In fact, a lot of my non-Duke-fan friends think Singler could eventually be a National POY and still not quite have his talents translate to the NBA.

Obviously it's only December and you can see him getting more comfortable with each passing game but my jaw would hit the floor if Singler decided to declare. I think he's a 2-3 year player but it wouldn't completely shock me if he stayed all 4.

I agree. I believe he is in the same boat as T. Hansbrough or JJ Redick. He has great college skills but maybe not what the NBA is looking for. I think Singler will be a decent pro but he isnt ready yet.

YmoBeThere
12-26-2007, 06:23 PM
I think Singler has more upside than Kevin Love. Love is land-bound...I would also project Hansblahblah ahead of Love and Singler ahead of either. (I know they play different positions.)

Uncle Drew
12-26-2007, 06:43 PM

I think over the next 13 seasons with Coach Cutcliffe at the helm 113-15 is going to be the football teams record. Of course this will include a down year of 9-4 in 2013. But after five straight undefeated seasons and four national championships (the BCS thing will screw us out of a deserved title in 2010!) we will all try and be patient and not fire Coach C for ONE down year. :D

dukestheheat
12-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Carlos,

dude i hope you're right on Kyle and that I (not the first time) am dreadfully wrong. but..........

dth.

Lord Ash
12-26-2007, 08:55 PM
I don't think Singler is ready for the pros. Yes he has good eyes and good passing skills and a nice feel for the game, but... you have to be pretty darn good to really be a player in the NBA, and usually a serious NBA prospect is pretty dominant in the NCAAs.

weezie
12-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Yeah, but a couple of summers of league play and 20 lbs of muscle might change all that.
He sure has the looks for Hollywood...maybe another Laettner with less hair?

nicktonyg22
12-27-2007, 02:02 AM
I agree that Kyle isn't ready for the pros quite yet, but when he graduates after four years, he will be a first round choice for sure. I don't know what it is about him, but he finishes, knocks down free throws, seems to know what to do all the time, and can shoot the deep ball. This all translates. As far as comparisons go, Kyle seems to actually be a bit stronger on the inside than Battier was, but not as strong as a Marvin Williams (i'm trying to think of comparable 4's...sorry to use the carowhina example). With the ability to go inside and out however, I think he'll be a valuable offensive weapon somewhere in the NBA come graduation.

Charles Wicker
12-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Yes, I agree with most that he's not yet ready; he's just an 18 year old freshman. As we enter league play against tougher competition, we will get a glimpse of what he's truly made of. I like the guy; he seems to possess a certain strength of consistency. It'll be fun to watch him match up against top talent, that will indeed get him ready for the pros.

K got this one right!

gw67
12-27-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm pretty sure that both Singler and King turned turned 19 last May in high school. I have no idea whether Singler is ready for the pros but, IMO, he is playing out of position by necessity. He is a good ballhandler and passer, a decent rebounder and defensive player, and he can hit both the deep ball as well as mid-range shots and he can drive to the hoop. Whether he can guard the small forwards in the NBA is the big question, IMO. I'd love for him to stay 3-4 years. He is a terrific player now and will only get better.

gw67

Olympic Fan
12-27-2007, 04:20 PM

While Duke's record in Shane's four years is 133 wins, he actually missed two games during the 1998-99 season -- he was sick with the flu on Nov. 27, when Duke beat Fresno State 93-82 in the semifinals of the Great Alaskan Shootout and he missed the Feb. 27 regular season finale -- an 81-61 rout of UNC in Chapel Hill -- with a sprained ankle.

The way the NCAA counts it, you only get credit for games in which you appear (you don't have to start or score any points, but you do have to be on the court for at least a second of gametime).

Battier is credited by the NCAA with 131 career wins which is TIED for the NCAA record with Wayne Turner of Kentucky. Interestingly, Battier could have claimed the record for himself if Duke could have held on against Kentucky in the Southeast Regional title game in 1998.

Yes, Shane played with a lot of other good players, but it wasn't like he was some hanger-on. He was a key supporting player in 1998 and 1999 and was arguably the key player on the 2000 and 2001 teams. He was 11-1 in ACC tournament play. He played on three teams that finished No. 1 in the nation. And he was 16-3 in NCAA play with a national title and a runnerup trophy. He was a two-time All-American, the 2001 national player of the year, a three-time national defensive player of the year. And he was an academic All-American.

Pretty good career.

I don't have the full NCAA list of top winners, but I do have access to the ACC list. Battier's 131 wins are eight more than the 123 won by Chris Duhon. There's a three-way tie at 122 between Laettner, James and Ferry. The top 11 spots are all filled by Duke players. UNC's Sam Perkins is tied with Bobby Hurley and Daniel Ewing for 12th place with 115 career wins.

Remember, these are for wins actually played in ... NOT wins your team won while you were on the roster

DBFAN
12-28-2007, 12:56 AM
UCLA, had the best percentage over the four year span, but the most wins belong to Duke over the 4 year period.

Olympic Fan
12-28-2007, 11:05 AM
UCLA, had the best percentage over the four year span, but the most wins belong to Duke over the 4 year period.

And remember, when UCLA was posting those gaudy four-year records in the 1960s and early 1970s, freshmen were ineligible for varsity competition.

Lew Alcindor (his name at the time) was 88-2 in his three varsity seasons at UCLA (30-0, 29-1, 29-1). That's the best winning percentage I can find (and I'm pretty sure Alcindor played in every game for three years) -- but even if he had played as a freshman, he wouldn't have had as many wins as Battier. UCLA just didn't play as many games in that era.

Let's see, Bill Walton was 86-4 (30-0, 30-0, 26-4) ... also a better percentage, but not as many wins (and wouldn't have been with four years).