PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Former Coaches

Bluedawg
12-26-2007, 09:20 AM
The N&O has an interesting article today titled Coaches once got a real kick out of the job (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/847733.html) where they remember some of the more colorful ACC coaches.

But in this must-win era, with its multimedia scrutiny, fan bloggers and instant information, it's more important for coaches to measure their words, guard their space and shield their teams than to get a laugh.

It was not always this way. There was a time when coaches -- such as Wake Forest's Bones McKinney, who once coached wearing a seat belt; N.C. State's Jim Valvano, who amused crowds with his wisecracks; and Maryland's Lefty Driesell, who could shake the rafters with a stomp of his foot -- spiced their championships with showmanship.

Its a fun read.

RPS
12-26-2007, 09:56 AM
My all-time favorite CIS sign:

Richard Nixon: Duke's Second Biggest Mistake
Welcome Lefty!

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-26-2007, 10:17 AM
My all-time favorite CIS sign:

Richard Nixon: Duke's Second Biggest Mistake
Welcome Lefty!
I remember one night when Coach Driesell and Maryland came to Cameron. Hundreds of students had donned something from the local costume shop: hundred of bald head look alikes! Another night there were lots of posters with Lefty's picture on them and on his forehead was a replica of a gas gauge with the indicator pointing to E!

OZZIE4DUKE
12-26-2007, 11:37 AM
I remember one night when Coach Driesell and Maryland came to Cameron. Hundreds of students had donned something from the local costume shop: hundred of bald head look alikes! Another night there were lots of posters with Lefty's picture on them and on his forehead was a replica of a gas gauge with the indicator pointing to E!

Don't forget the game when Lefty coached with a broken leg, and many of the students came to the game with full leg casts on. Gotta love those pre-med students!

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Don't forget the game when Lefty coached with a broken leg, and many of the students came to the game with full leg casts on. Gotta love those pre-med students!
There was so much creativity in Cameron then...... how about the Fruit of the Looms on every Crazies' head when we played State after a couple of their players had been arrested for switching price tags on some underwear before proceeding to the checkout. Oh, what about all the car keys? Maybe some of the best occurred when Stormin' Norman was at State. Remember when a Crazy would come out in drag to mimic Mrs. Sloan who always sang the national anthem at home games for State?

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-26-2007, 02:25 PM
I acknowledge that my comments have shifted this thread from the original topic of memorable coaches seen in Cameron, but please humor me for one more memory!

The essence of the Cameron Crazies began back in the sixties just as the undeniable national positioning of the program began to be acknowledged. When a visiting player was introduced in the starting lineup, we students had begun to respond with,"Who's he??" Eventually one of the authority figures got on the mike and told us that this "cheer" was not the Duke way....

There once was a Kappa Sig who sat on the side where the team benches are located. I think he was in the Class of '66. He was the son of an Episcopal bishop. He singlehandedly contributed to the zany atmosphere which made then Duke Indoor Stadium a difficult place for opposing teams to play. He brought a rubber chicken to each game. When he believed that a call or play needed attention because it was bogus, he'd raise up the chicken, holding it by the neck and have his say. Sometimes the chicken's neck was twisted. Later (late 70s? early 80s? a year of the Olympics) several students would appear wearing officials' shirts. As the officials on the floor made calls worthy of attention, the students in refs' shirts would stand in unison and each would display on a card the score they'd award for the call. Very few 10s were seen!

alteran
12-26-2007, 03:42 PM
The N&O has an interesting article today titled Coaches once got a real kick out of the job (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/847733.html) where they remember some of the more colorful ACC coaches.

Its a fun read.

Great link. Thanks!