PDA

View Full Version : Joe Alleva to Miami?

Thunderdunk
12-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Any truth to rumor Alleva interviewing for Miami AD position?

diablesseblu
12-23-2007, 09:44 PM

Don't tease us like that. It's not Christmas yet. ;-)

Bob Green
12-23-2007, 10:11 PM

Yes. (http://sports.dailyorange.com/?p=650)

Mike Corey
12-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Joe Alleva will not be the Athletic Director at Miami, and is not interviewing for any position at Miami.

Thunderdunk
12-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Please don't put out the milk and cookies for Santa just yet...note the word "rumor." If anyone can confirm, please do so..........

NovaScotian
12-23-2007, 10:34 PM
please please please please be true

OZZIE4DUKE
12-23-2007, 10:37 PM
please please please please be true

Don't hold your breath. If you were Donna Shalala (cough, cough, cough, cough), would you hire Joe Alleva?

Personally, I'd rather hire Joe Alleva than be Donna Shalala.

duketaylor
12-24-2007, 12:28 AM
Ozzie, I'm ready for a move, you? I've posted elsewhere, we'd be co-ADs. Let's talk about it. Happy Holidays!!!
Ya know what's really funny? Under my name it says I'm a "benchwarmer" that's truly humorous. Never been one, except as a frosh at Duke;) Certainly not on DBR-hehe.

dukemomLA
12-24-2007, 12:36 AM
Is this a Christmas present for all Duke fans?! Yikes! Hadn't heard anything about this..... I await further news with bated breath.

Sir Stealth
12-24-2007, 12:45 AM
Can all the Alleva haters explain why they dislike Alleva so much? I know the bad stuff - maybe you would have liked him to have handled his end of lacrosse better, football has been bad (though that certainly wasn't a new development), the baseball steroids thing, the boat wreck thing. I admit that's all not good. That being said, Duke has one of the strongest all around sports programs in the country. We are really good at just about every sport. I'm not gonna try to be a giant Alleva defender, but all the hate for a guy who has been the AD of a successful athletic program (that has continued to do things the right way) seems kinda weird. Are you sure it would really be a Christmas present for him to leave? Anyone care to elaborate? Should I even ask?

DukeU3x
12-24-2007, 03:10 AM
I know the bad stuff - maybe you would have liked him to have handled his end of lacrosse better, football has been bad (though that certainly wasn't a new development), the baseball steroids thing, the boat wreck thing.

Other than that unfortunate mishap at Lakehurst, The Hindenberg was a grand and glorious way to travel.

Sadly, I rely on Mike Corey on this one. Miami's football program is becoming ill and I wouldn't think they'd look to Alleva for the cure.

dukie8
12-24-2007, 08:25 AM
Can all the Alleva haters explain why they dislike Alleva so much? I know the bad stuff - maybe you would have liked him to have handled his end of lacrosse better, football has been bad (though that certainly wasn't a new development), the baseball steroids thing, the boat wreck thing. I admit that's all not good. That being said, Duke has one of the strongest all around sports programs in the country. We are really good at just about every sport. I'm not gonna try to be a giant Alleva defender, but all the hate for a guy who has been the AD of a successful athletic program (that has continued to do things the right way) seems kinda weird. Are you sure it would really be a Christmas present for him to leave? Anyone care to elaborate? Should I even ask?

which sports were bad before alleva got to duke that now are good?

Indoor66
12-24-2007, 08:31 AM

I agree with you, Sir. In addition, I ask who these Alleva haters have in the wings to be a new, bigger, better, stronger, more compassionate, more successful, more supportive to the athlete, more supportive to the coaches AD?

OZZIE4DUKE
12-24-2007, 08:59 AM
I agree with you, Sir. In addition, I ask who these Alleva haters have in the wings to be a new, bigger, better, stronger, more compassionate, more successful, more supportive to the athlete, more supportive to the coaches AD?

Uh, me. And DukeTaylor as Assistant AD.

Indoor66
12-24-2007, 09:05 AM

Naaahhh - hire DukeTaylor as golf coach - then he would be happy.

Bluedawg
12-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Everyone is down on Joe for what is perceived as 2 bad football hires. However, spend a moment and think about the pool of candidates he had for those two football hires, then look more recently at Lacrosse, WBB, and the new football.

Are we being fair to JA?

arnie
12-24-2007, 11:36 AM
I consider football and baseball to be 2 of the 4 most important sports from a media coverage and overall interest perspective. His record on coaching hires (until Cutcliffe) has been lazy and abysmal. We don't know how women's college basketball will turn out yet with the new hire (also one of my top 4 sports).

The football facilities, bathrooms, concessions have degraded significantly under his tenure - simply buying a hot dog a concession stand during a fan-empty football game was an ordeal over the past 10 years.

His personal puppet role in the lacrosse case was probably worse - he performed poorly as a puppet and even worse as a man. The steroids and personal motives assoicated with the tenure of the previous baseball coach were abysmal.

The drunken boating incident right after the lacrosse fallout was abysmal (I can't come up with other descriptions). This is the stuff we know about - what more do we need to have him at least transferred back to food service adminstration?

hughgs
12-24-2007, 12:34 PM
I consider football and baseball to be 2 of the 4 most important sports from a media coverage and overall interest perspective. His record on coaching hires (until Cutcliffe) has been lazy and abysmal. We don't know how women's college basketball will turn out yet with the new hire (also one of my top 4 sports).

The football facilities, bathrooms, concessions have degraded significantly under his tenure - simply buying a hot dog a concession stand during a fan-empty football game was an ordeal over the past 10 years.

His personal puppet role in the lacrosse case was probably worse - he performed poorly as a puppet and even worse as a man. The steroids and personal motives assoicated with the tenure of the previous baseball coach were abysmal.

The drunken boating incident right after the lacrosse fallout was abysmal (I can't come up with other descriptions). This is the stuff we know about - what more do we need to have him at least transferred back to food service adminstration?

His baseball hire still needs time and obviously he can't do anything about the men's basketball situation. So, in reality you can't complain about his coaching hires with respect to the sports you find most important. As for the old baseball coach he was fired by Alleva so I don't really know why he doesn't get good marks for that since you found the old baseball coach lacking.

And, while I agree that the state of Wallace Wade (WW) is terrible, I think he should be given a pass since there are plans in the making for finally taking care of the situation. Given the fact that the Yoh building went up in the past few years it's hard to say what its impact was on getting stadium upgrades. For all we know, it was always a two step process.

So that leaves the lacrosse fiasco. And while I won't argue with your conviction that Alleva should be fired because of his role in it, you don't make a strong argument that there are other reasons for his firing.

Mike Corey
12-24-2007, 12:48 PM
which sports were bad before alleva got to duke that now are good?

While I wouldn't go so far as to say that any programs have gone from "bad" to "good," I do think there are ample examples of programs improving from "fair" or "good" to "better" and "dramatically better."

The field hockey program is perhaps the best example. It has improved significantly since the hiring of a proven head coach--Beth Bozman from Princeton--which resulted in an immediate turnaround in the program's success. Previously, Duke hadn't beaten perennial power UNC since 1980 or so, nor had it ever mattered on the national stage. In Bozman's first year, Duke took control of the Tobacco Road rivalry, and used that momentum toward four consecutive Final Fours.

Women's cross country, which was adorned with a new head coach in 2004, placed 2nd in the NCAAs that year, and 3rd a season later. It had never achieved such heights.

The men's golf program, which had been led by the wonderful Rod Myers, has been aided in recent years by facility improvements that Alleva and Myers sought vigorously. The tragic passing of Myers to cancer this past year left a tremendous hole, but Alleva did his best to at least fill the void with the nation's best young coach, who arrived at Duke from UCLA this summer. It will not be long before Duke's men's team is competing for the national championship year in and year out.

Then there's women's golf. Of course, Dan Brooks had long been building up the program to its current state of utter dominance, but it must be noted that all five NCAA championships the program has won have come during Alleva's tenure.

And with regards to men's lacrosse, the hiring of a replacement for Mike Pressler was, at the very least, a top-flight hire. It is hard to imagine any individual better handling the situation he inherited than John Danowski. Mike Pressler built Duke lacrosse up, and that work continued during the Alleva era until the situation-that-shall-not-be-named. Pressler was the first coach to take Duke to the Final Four, and he did so twice (in '97 and '05). Danowski has done it once, and is bringing back the nation's top preseason team.

Of course, I personally have been disappointed with the University's unwillingness to fully fund scholarships in some sports, and to avoid filling scholarships in swimming, track and field and wrestling. I do not believe that is the fault of any one individual, however.

Further, the "big-name" hires will remain the question marks on Alleva's legacy at Duke, something of which he is well aware.

In football, the question marks have been very largely drawn. In women's basketball, questions remain. Same for baseball.

The hires in each of those three sports shows, at the very least, a dedication to either turning a program around for the better, or maintaining its high quality.

But at the very least, I imagine that Joe Alleva will have at least four more years to shore up his legacy. The improvement of Duke's football program, the ability for women's basketball to maintain the level of excellence Coach Goestenkors instilled, and so forth will all better answer the questions of, if nothing else, the "state" of the programs in the Alleva Era.

Mike Corey
12-24-2007, 12:51 PM
As for the old baseball coach he was fired by Alleva so I don't really know why he doesn't get good marks for that since you found the old baseball coach lacking.

To be fair to whomever you're directing these remarks to, Alleva doesn't get a "pass" on that I'd imagine since he also hired that coach (Bill Hillier).

YmoBeThere
12-24-2007, 12:51 PM
So that leaves the lacrosse fiasco. And while I won't argue with your conviction that Alleva should be fired because of his role in it, you don't make a strong argument that there are other reasons for his firing.

There are some among us who believe that his role in the lacrosse fiasco alone is sufficient argument for his removal. More than any other situation what will arise in his tenure at Duke, this was his chance to show true leadership. IMHO, he was not successful in doing this.

hughgs
12-24-2007, 01:20 PM
There are some among us who believe that his role in the lacrosse fiasco alone is sufficient argument for his removal. More than any other situation what will arise in his tenure at Duke, this was his chance to show true leadership. IMHO, he was not successful in doing this.

And I think that's a completely fair reason to want Alleva fired. I may not agree with the reason but I can understand that reasoning. At least you're being honest enough to admit that the lacrosse fiasco is the motivation and aren't trying to use other poor examples of his incompetence.

hughgs
12-24-2007, 01:27 PM
To be fair to whomever you're directing these remarks to, Alleva doesn't get a "pass" on that I'd imagine since he also hired that coach (Bill Hillier).

My remarks are directed at firealleva.

While Alleva hired Hillier he also fired him. And, if I remember correctly, he was fired after the steroids issue was exposed. Alleva realized the mistake and hired someone else. If you don't think that Alleva should be given a pass on it that's fine, but I don't think it's fair to use that hiring as a prime reason to fire him.

dkbaseball
12-24-2007, 01:39 PM
His baseball hire still needs time and obviously he can't do anything about the men's basketball situation. So, in reality you can't complain about his coaching hires with respect to the sports you find most important. As for the old baseball coach he was fired by Alleva so I don't really know why he doesn't get good marks for that since you found the old baseball coach lacking.

Whoa now, get your facts straight. Alleva fired a baseball coach who had had some middling success, Steve Traylor, and replaced him with his crony, Bill Hillyer. Quite apart from the steroids thing, Hillyer was an obviously bad fit for Duke, and turned the program into a joke. Yet Alleva refused to fire him through one last-place season after another, until the pressure became too great to resist.

As for the current baseball coach, the hiring responsibility was taken away from Alleva. He was one of six on the search committee, which was led by Chris Kennedy. With that hire, which I liked at the time, the jury is still out, though the first two seasons have resulted in the customary last-place finishes.

I'm excited about Cutcliffe, but if my information is correct (may not be), Alleva had to be restrained by cooler heads from offering the job to Karl Dorrell right after he interviewed. That would have been a big mistake, IMO.

hughgs
12-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Whoa now, get your facts straight. Alleva fired a baseball coach who had had some middling success, Steve Traylor, and replaced him with his crony, Bill Hillyer. Quite apart from the steroids thing, Hillyer was an obviously bad fit for Duke, and turned the program into a joke. Yet Alleva refused to fire him through one last-place season after another, until the pressure became too great to resist.

As for the current baseball coach, the hiring responsibility was taken away from Alleva. He was one of six on the search committee, which was led by Chris Kennedy. With that hire, which I liked at the time, the jury is still out, though the first two seasons have resulted in the customary last-place finishes.

I'm excited about Cutcliffe, but if my information is correct (may not be), Alleva had to be restrained by cooler heads from offering the job to Karl Dorrell right after he interviewed. That would have been a big mistake, IMO.

I'll defer the facts of the baseball coaching hires to you, but my point remains the same. If Alleva is responsible for hiring a poor fit then you have to give him credit for also firing the coach.

And, I'm pretty sure that if the new baseball coach turns out to be a bad hire then Alleva will take the blame for that. So, trying to take away any credit by citing the fact that Chris Kennedy headed the search committee is unfair.

People need to decide where the line is drawn with respect to coaches hired by Alleva and I don't see that very often. Is he responsible for all hirings or just those in which he's head of the search committee? Or maybe just those in which he's on the search committee? And if he's responsible for hirings then he's also responsible for firings. What seems to happen is that people want Alleva fired and then come up with all the bad things that he's responsible for while conveniently forgetting all the good things that he's responsible for.

Indoor66
12-24-2007, 02:21 PM
I'll defer the facts of the baseball coaching hires to you, but my point remains the same. If Alleva is responsible for hiring a poor fit then you have to give him credit for also firing the coach.

And, I'm pretty sure that if the new baseball coach turns out to be a bad hire then Alleva will take the blame for that. So, trying to take away any credit by citing the fact that Chris Kennedy headed the search committee is unfair.

People need to decide where the line is drawn with respect to coaches hired by Alleva and I don't see that very often. Is he responsible for all hirings or just those in which he's head of the search committee? Or maybe just those in which he's on the search committee? And if he's responsible for hirings then he's also responsible for firings. What seems to happen is that people want Alleva fired and then come up with all the bad things that he's responsible for while conveniently forgetting all the good things that he's responsible for.

I agree and again my question: Who is to be the replacement? Who are the candidates?

YmoBeThere
12-24-2007, 02:52 PM
I agree and again my question: Who is to be the replacement? Who are the candidates?

The same question was asked as a way to support Coach Roof. Who would want to coach a D-I football program like us, etc.? Seems to me there was quite a bit of interest and that we ended up with an excellent hire on paper. It may not have been your intention, but I am trying to short circuit the idea that we wouldn't be able to find good candidates for the job.

RPS
12-24-2007, 03:25 PM
I agree and again my question: Who is to be the replacement? Who are the candidates?Unless an AD from another school simply didn't want to move (for whatever reason), what qualified candidate wouldn't be interested? Despite the obvious problems with the football program, we seem to have made a good hire from among a fairly large group of fine candidates. I have no reason to doubt that we'd have an even larger cadre of excellent candidates were the AD job to become open.

dkbaseball
12-24-2007, 03:50 PM

The general view of people who follow the baseball program is that Alleva waited about three years too long to fire Hillier because they were cronies. He finally did so only when he came under significant pressure.

The second paragraph is a non sequitur built on a speculative premise. And there is no credit to be parceled out at this point for the McNally hire, given that he has not yet made any improvement that shows up in the W-L record.

jeff
12-24-2007, 04:10 PM
according to goduke last season baseball record was the best since 1998.

hughgs
12-24-2007, 04:39 PM
The second paragraph is a non sequitur built on a speculative premise. And there is no credit to be parceled out at this point for the McNally hire, given that he has not yet made any improvement that shows up in the W-L record.

I'm not saying that at this point in this process that we assign either blame or credit for Coach McNally's hire. I'm simply saying that those who would assign blame for his hire IF it turns out bad also need to assign credit IF his hire turns out well. And, that is something that some people on this board have refused to do for Alleva.

I'll say it again since you seem to have left out the major point. Assign blame to Alleva and give credit to Alleva using the same criteria.

365Duke
12-24-2007, 05:01 PM
I finally get it!

JA gets all the credit for all the bad things, and none of the credit for the good. Got it:rolleyes:

YmoBeThere
12-24-2007, 05:05 PM
I finally get it!

JA gets all the credit for all the bad things, and none of the credit for the good. Got it:rolleyes:

Isn't that the benefit of being in a leadership position?

freshmanjs
12-24-2007, 05:24 PM
I finally get it!

If you mean he doesn't get much credit for programs that were good before remaining good now, you're right.

A leader is judged by how they handle key decision points and crises. His record is mixed at best.

dukie8
12-24-2007, 05:37 PM
If you mean he doesn't get much credit for programs that were good before remaining good now, you're right.

A leader is judged by how they handle key decision points and crises. His record is mixed at best.

why should he get ANY credit for the basketball team? has he done anything more than nothing? it was the premiere program when he got the ad position and it still is. his handling of the football team, whether it be the choosing of coaches, getting the necessary funding to be successful or even making sure that the fan experience is tolerable, has been nothing short of horrendous.

much more worse was his handling of the lax affair. granted that he was a puppet, but at least play the role of puppet effectively. he was weak, his firing of pressler BEFORE the dna evidence came back was the single worst decision i have seen made at duke in the past 25 years. i don't care if the board put a gun to his head and said do it. if he had even a scintillia of leadership qualities, courage or a backbone, he would have said no, we are not firing someone who has been a fantastic coach and representative of the school for 16 years before the dna evidence comes back and you can take me down first and explain to the public what is going on. he didn't and that is enough for me.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-24-2007, 05:38 PM

You don't seem to take my interest in the AD job seriously. I actually formally applied for the job last time, and spoke to Talman Trask in his office at length trying to get an interview, but was unsuccessful (in getting the interview, and the position). The rest, as they say, is history.

SilkyJ
12-24-2007, 06:01 PM

thats a winning combo. who takes over for broadhead though?

Everyone is down on Joe for what is perceived as 2 bad football hires.

nope. i dont care about his football hires. i care about him betraying our lacrosse players. as my lax friends called him, he will always be Judas Alleva to me.

word.

Devilsfan
12-24-2007, 06:14 PM
On second thought it's Christmas so I think it would be nice to give the man a break.

ugadevil
12-24-2007, 07:54 PM
On second thought it's Christmas so I think it would be nice to give the man a break.

How about they give him a one year subscription to the jelly of the month club?

dkbaseball
12-24-2007, 08:49 PM
according to goduke last season baseball record was the best since 1998.

The power of press agentry. They were 8-22 in the ACC, and out of league fattened up on cupcakes. This season they will play 13 games against Alabama A&M, Columbia, Iona, Hartford and Quinnipiac. Not the way to get ready for what is now as tough as any college baseball conference in the country.

My point, again, is that Alleva gets full credit and blame where he actually made the hiring decision, as in the case of Hillier, but not when he was just one vote of six and didn't lead the search.

hughgs
12-24-2007, 09:25 PM
My point, again, is that Alleva gets full credit and blame where he actually made the hiring decision, as in the case of Hillier, but not when he was just one vote of six and didn't lead the search.

That's a fair point and at least you've made a straight forward criterion based on performance. That being said, have you used your criterion on the other coaching hires that Alleva has made?

freshmanjs
12-24-2007, 09:43 PM
why should he get ANY credit for the basketball team? has he done anything more than nothing? it was the premiere program when he got the ad position and it still is. his handling of the football team, whether it be the choosing of coaches, getting the necessary funding to be successful or even making sure that the fan experience is tolerable, has been nothing short of horrendous.

much more worse was his handling of the lax affair. granted that he was a puppet, but at least play the role of puppet effectively. he was weak, his firing of pressler BEFORE the dna evidence came back was the single worst decision i have seen made at duke in the past 25 years. i don't care if the board put a gun to his head and said do it. if he had even a scintillia of leadership qualities, courage or a backbone, he would have said no, we are not firing someone who has been a fantastic coach and representative of the school for 16 years before the dna evidence comes back and you can take me down first and explain to the public what is going on. he didn't and that is enough for me.

exactly. thats why i said he gets no credit for that.

4decadedukie
12-25-2007, 07:52 AM
Personal opinions follow:
a) Will Alleva go to Miami (or any other university, for that matter)? No; he just received a contested contract extension, has been at Duke for decades, and -- with his current reputation among alumni and boosters -- would not be a likely hire. Further, his proponents include several very influential Duke luminaries, and he would never have that "base" at another school.
b) Should he leave Duke? Yes; while the Athletic Department has had many successes, his leadership and moral courage are inadequate (this is more than the Lacrosse Hoax). A dear friend and Duke colleague (who concluded his tenure as a Trustee last June) recently told me that Joe's performance during the "new football coach" recruitment and hiring processes was "awful" (that's a quote, and he was on the selection committee).
c) When will he leave? Joe will retire in five-years, after his current contract expires.

Indoor66
12-25-2007, 09:07 AM
A dear friend and Duke colleague (who concluded his tenure as a Trustee last June) recently told me that Joe's performance during the "new football coach" recruitment and hiring processes was "awful" (that's a quote, and he was on the selection committee). (emphasis added)

What does that mean?

arnie
12-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Back to the original thought on the thread, does the rumor have any substance or did the Durham Herald just make it up? I can't imagine any program hiring JA as their AD.

Mike Corey
12-25-2007, 03:25 PM
FireAlleva,

There is no substance to the report from the Miami Herald regarding Alleva. He's in his dream job, and spent his career building towards it.

He will not be leaving Duke anytime soon, unless something drastic and unforeseen changes.

4decadedukie
12-26-2007, 12:23 PM
(emphasis added)

What does that mean?

Indoor,

Until Thursday evening, apparently Paul Johnson remained a real possibility and Joe's performance increased the gap between Johnson's expressed desires are Duke's position.

duketaylor
12-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Ozzie, I'm ready whenever the call comes. CT to Durham;)

duketaylor
12-27-2007, 12:32 AM
when it comes to Joe's "performance" what exactly does that mean? And I'll assume that when you say "increased the gap between Johnson's expressed desires are Duke's position." Should've read something like "increased the gap between Johnson's expressed desires anD Duke's position." So you're intimating Joe did something that quelled Johnson from coming or accepting the Duke job. Praytell, if you can ,what was it?

Saratoga2
12-28-2007, 02:16 PM

I read the book "Guilty until proven Innocent", which made clear the roles of the president, the administration and a large group of professors who would best serve Duke by joining him in Miami.

ehdg
12-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Would be a miracle come true if Joe left for Miami or anywhere else. But sadly I just don't think he's going any where till his new contract expires. :(

4decadedukie
12-28-2007, 03:31 PM
when it comes to Joe's "performance" what exactly does that mean? And I'll assume that when you say "increased the gap between Johnson's expressed desires are Duke's position." Should've read something like "increased the gap between Johnson's expressed desires anD Duke's position." So you're intimating Joe did something that quelled Johnson from coming or accepting the Duke job. Praytell, if you can ,what was it?

I cannot elaborate, since the specific information was not provided.

SoCalDukeFan
12-28-2007, 04:45 PM
First of all I think Alleva should be gone because of his actions during the lacrosse case.

However I really can not criticize him for the football hire because I like the hire and the only thing I "know" is that Duke with Alleva as AD hired David Cutcliffe.

I do think that having a requirement of Div I coaching experience or whatever it was was a mistake. I know that Cutcliffe met requirement, but so did Dorrell and I guess Broadway did not. I much preferred Broadway to Dorrell.

SoCal

greybeard
12-28-2007, 05:35 PM
The lawsuits, you forget the lawsuits. It might feel safer for Allevia for the time being to be among cohorts, but, if these lawsuits progress and discovery gets heated up, the landscape might change.

Right now, the trustees might well be paying for each individual administrator to have his own lawyer--it is difficult to see how they all would be comfortable with being represented by a single attorney.

However, if any of those lawyers comes to believe that any of the suits has traction and could result in a verdict against the defendants, they might also be concerned that such a verdict might necessarily imply a finding of the type of wrongdoing that would preclude the University's payment of legal fees, and therefore require that the University seek recoupment.

Now, I am not a corporate lawyer type, so I am just speculating here.

However, should what I have just said have any real world coefficient, people in the administration might begin to see their interests diverging, as in every-man-for-himself type diverging. Could lead to one or more of them deciding to seek a favorable settlement in return for cooperation--disclosing where the bodies are burried, as it were. You know, jump ship.

Anyway, like I said, I'm just speculating wildly here: read too many novels and watch too many TV shows.

Man, I swore I'd stay away from this stuff. From now on, I promise.

formerdukeathlete
12-28-2007, 06:41 PM
The lawsuits, you forget the lawsuits. It might feel safer for Allevia for the time being to be among cohorts, but, if these lawsuits progress and discovery gets heated up, the landscape might change.

The current lawsuit against Duke by 3 laxers who refused settlement involving paying legal fees and out-of-pockets suggest Duke admin types "conspired" with Nifong. Part of the at least "caving" to Nifong was releasing privacy info without a warrant - including the American Psycho e-mail. Alleva was just a guy who sitting in his dream job as Mike Corey commented did as he was told - fire Pressler. He felt bad about it. Did not want to do it. The lawsuit is not about firing Pressler. Alleva is entirely out of the loop re going along with Nifong.

Bluedawg
12-29-2007, 03:06 AM
I read the book "Guilty until proven Innocent", which made clear the roles of the president, the administration and a large group of professors who would best serve Duke by joining him in Miami.

You are taking a book, written by someone who was fired, and who felt his firing was unjustified, as gospel. You must take this into account when reading his book.

Bluedawg
12-29-2007, 03:08 AM
I cannot elaborate, since the specific information was not provided.

Then don't make vague accusations which really amount to nothing without some substance to them.

formerdukeathlete
12-29-2007, 08:50 AM
You are taking a book, written by someone who was fired, and who felt his firing was unjustified, as gospel. You must take this into account when reading his book.

"Until Proven Innocent" by Stuart Taylor and KC Johnson

"A Rush to Injustice" by Nader Baydoun (a trial attorney and former Duke Football player)

"Its Not About the Truth" by Mike Pressler

Yes, Pressler's book was written after being fired, but before the 3 indicted were exhonerated. However, each book corroborates the others in a number of ways.

Devilsfan
12-29-2007, 10:03 AM
If not you should.

grossbus
01-11-2008, 01:48 PM
there is so much in the world i don't understand.

OldPhiKap
01-11-2008, 01:50 PM
"UM also has given strong consideration to Duke athletic director Joe Alleva, an accomplished fund-raiser."

ah so.

Carlos
01-11-2008, 01:55 PM
I propose a massive letter writing campaign to Miami, begging them to not take our AD.

Might just trick 'em.

Duvall
01-11-2008, 01:57 PM
I certainly hope that Miami doesn't deprive Duke of this accomplished fundraiser. I don't know what Duke would do without his consistent judgment, his steady leadership, and his unfailing skill at assorted racquet sports.

365Duke
01-11-2008, 02:05 PM
we put this to bed weeks ago. Mike Corey said he ain't going, and I believe him.

Duvall
01-11-2008, 02:13 PM
we put this to bed weeks ago. Mike Corey said he ain't going, and I believe him.

Oh, I know. And yet:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/Revisited/i-want-to-believe.jpg

Woody
01-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Maybe as Miami rebuilds its football program, they want to follow the same pattern as Duke.

OldPhiKap
01-11-2008, 03:32 PM
I have been critical of JA, but the new money flowing into the football program -- allowing us to get real coaches, staff, etc. -- makes me wonder whether he has been the main problem or whether it is the trustees/president/money folks. It seems to me that, in largest part, the problem with football has been a lack of resources and interest from the administration and university as a whole.

I don't want to get stuck in the position of defending JA -- but I do think this move shows me that a large part of the problem may have been out of his control.

Is going to work for Donna Shalala a move up ?!?

Mike Corey
01-11-2008, 04:18 PM
With this new story, I will check again.

Mike Corey
01-11-2008, 04:42 PM
As of 4:42, Miami has not even made Joe Alleva aware of its interest.

OldPhiKap
01-11-2008, 06:09 PM
As of 4:42, Miami has not even made Joe Alleva aware of its interest.

Miami is sneeky that way.

Indoor66
01-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Miami is sneeky that way.

You know, Donna Shallala - thinking tall.

devildeac
01-12-2008, 12:02 AM
I certainly hope that Miami doesn't deprive Duke of this accomplished fundraiser. I don't know what Duke would do without his consistent judgment, his steady leadership, and his unfailing skill at assorted racquet sports.

Raquet sports or aquatic sports?:D

duketaylor
01-12-2008, 12:22 AM
You already know who's waiting in the wings. The Tandem. What more to say? Besides we'd need lots of support from the masses, a mandate, not some vast aquatical ceremony;) Immanuel kant was real pissant...

devildeac
01-12-2008, 12:30 AM
You already know who's waiting in the wings. The Tandem. What more to say? Besides we'd need lots of support from the masses, a mandate, not some vast aquatical ceremony;) Immanuel kant was real pissant...

How would you and OZZIE divide the reponsibilities? FB and all other sports? Fundraising/organization? Bud Light/Miller Light?

Where is that Immanuel Kant lyric from? It's way past my bedtime and I don't have the concentration to remember the song/lyrics...

JStuart
01-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Post of the New Year, so far!

"Raquet sports or aquatic sports?"

OZZIE4DUKE
01-12-2008, 10:30 AM
How would you and OZZIE divide the reponsibilities? FB and all other sports? Fundraising/organization? Bud Light/Miller Light?

Where is that Immanuel Kant lyric from? It's way past my bedtime and I don't have the concentration to remember the song/lyrics...

We're united on the Bud Light. Can you imagine the sponsorship and fund-raising dollars we could get from AB! Just for them to "break even" with the two of us would renovate Wallace Wade :)

And Chuck is right. We'd need a MASSIVE write in campaign for it to happen.

duketaylor
01-12-2008, 10:36 AM
What exactly is a "right in?" ;)
devildeac, see this:
http://www.lyricsdownload.com/monty-python-philosopher-s-beer-drinking-song-lyrics.html
And the "vast aquatical ceremony" is from "The Holy Grail" as is the "mandate of the masses."

Pebble Beach in 4 days!!

OZZIE4DUKE
01-12-2008, 10:47 AM
devildeac, see this:
http://www.lyricsdownload.com/monty-python-philosopher-s-beer-drinking-song-lyrics.html
And the "vast aquatical ceremony" is from "The Holy Grail" as is the "mandate of the masses."

Pebble Beach in 4 days!!

I don't know what you're talking about!

TillyGalore
01-12-2008, 11:04 AM
We'd need a MASSIVE write in campaign for it to happen.

I'll help!

OldPhiKap
01-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Where is that Immanuel Kant lyric from?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_WRFJwGsbY

devildeac
01-12-2008, 02:17 PM
devildeac, see this:

Pebble Beach in 4 days!!

I missed the "Holy Grail" references on all three, what a silly twit. Thanks.

Hit 'em long, hit 'em straight and drink 'em slowly! Have a great trip!

duketaylor
01-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Thank you, sir.
Kinda surprised Duke's a 15-point fave tonight, seems a bit much, to me.
I guess the oddsmakers see UVA as a poor-mans Duke, skill on the perimeter and a lack thereof inside, with Duke having an all-around talent advantage. That's my take, at least. Hope it's not too close. I'll have to tape it and watch it later. GO DUKE!!! 9F9F9F9F9F!!!

Bluedawg
01-13-2008, 03:08 PM
If not you should.

People, whom I trust, have told me that there are many things in the book that are not true.

That said I'm saving it for a 2008 vacation week book so that I can provide the time it deserves to read it uninterrupted. If I tried to read it now I'd have to find time and it would be chopped up.

However, I generally consider the source of a book like this one and take all that into account before declaring a book as the final word.

DangerDevil
02-08-2008, 04:47 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/02/08/miami.ad.ap/index.html

Kirby Hocutt was hired as Miami's athletic director Friday, replacing Paul Dee.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-08-2008, 05:25 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/02/08/miami.ad.ap/index.html

Darn darn darn darn darn.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-08-2008, 05:38 PM

When I saw this thread pop up again, I was ready for the news..... until I read it. What a let down!

Surfsideron
02-08-2008, 08:58 PM

Dave Hart, formerly of FSU, will be the new AD.:)