PDA

View Full Version : Rough Saturday for the ACC

pfrduke
12-23-2007, 01:50 AM
7 ACC teams in action go just 4-3 today, with no one playing a ranked opponent. The worst was easily Maryland, at home, to American, but Clemson's loss to Mississippi and FSU's loss at Providence are equally disappointing. And BC barely snuck by Northeastern. This has the potential to be one of the worst years for the ACC non-conference record in recent memory. Right now it's at 98-30, which I know doesn't sound bad, but last year we went 135-33, and the year before was 121-30.

YmoBeThere
12-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Any thoughts on how many ACC teams in the Big Dance? I know its early...but we have a ways to go before we have another game.

pfrduke
12-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Any thoughts on how many ACC teams in the Big Dance? I know its early...but we have a ways to go before we have another game.

Should be locks:

UNC
Duke
Clemson

Solid chance:

Miami
NC State

Maybes (in order of strength):

Virginia
Florida State
Boston College
Wake Forest

Thanks for playing:
Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech
Maryland

Realistically, I think we're looking at 5. Duke, UNC, and Clemson all should have double digit conference wins (and all have strong enough non-conference resumes to go 8-8 and get a bid). If Miami gets to 8-8, they'll be 22-8. Yes, it was a weak non-conference slate, but 22-8, even in a down ACC, should do the trick. NC State's chances took a shot with the Degand injury, but they're better than they've played, and I think 9-7 plus a 1st round ACC win would do the trick (provided they win at Seton Hall). Virginia will be very, very tough at home, as usual, and so may be able to rack up 9-10 conference wins again. FSU is a perennial bubble team. And Wake has been surprisingly solid so far (absent the Georgia loss).

The problem with more than 5 is that NCSU, UVA, FSU, and Wake probably can't make the dance at 8-8, and even 9-7 would be very uncomfortable for all of them.