PDA

View Full Version : Jamal Boykin

Jim3k
12-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Duke transfer Jamal Boykin starts his career at Cal. He had a tough break at Duke when he contracted mono. Looks like he's upbeat now. Seems to still like the Crazies.

from the Contra Costa Times today (http://www.contracostatimes.com/search/ci_7787146?IADID=Search-www.contracostatimes.com-www.contracostatimes.com)

Native
12-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Good for him. Best of luck to Jamal getting a fresh start at Cal.

Jim3k
12-23-2007, 02:43 AM
Here's the AP recap (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/recap?gid=200712220095) in Cal's 2 pt loss to Utah. Jamal's brief appearance is described in the fourth graf from the bottom.

I expect he'll get better before the year is out.

Devilsfan
12-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Optimism is a wonderful thing.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-23-2007, 10:35 PM
Optimism is a wonderful thing.

Yes, it is!:D

trueblue
01-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Jamal is playing on FSN right now. Its fun to watch him. He has made a couple good plays. I'm proud of him.

dbowen
01-05-2008, 07:18 PM
He may be playing well, but he's going to be on the wrong side of a sportscenter #1 play tomorrow morning.
He absolutely got posterized by Westbrook(I think?) late in the 1st half.
He drove the ball coast to coast and elevated over Boykin from about 10 to 12 feet.

juise
01-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Link. (http://rachelb.blogspot.com/2008/01/westbrook-dunks-over-jamal-boykin.html)

speedevil
01-06-2008, 05:17 PM
how did he do? did he start? what positition did he mainly play?

Clipsfan
01-07-2008, 01:19 PM
He didn't start but played quite a few minutes (I didn't check out the box score, but he was in there quite a bit). He made some nice plays, although he still looks a little hyperactive out there. Cal has a couple very good big men, Hardin and Anderson, and I think that he filled in at the 3 mainly.

Bluedog
01-07-2008, 01:54 PM
He played 15 min and scored 8 pts on 4-8 shooting vs. UCLA. In the five games he has played, he's averaging 14.2 min, 7.2 PPG, and 3.6 RPG - meteoric numbers compared to his 2.7 mpg for 1.0 ppg his frosh yr (in three games his soph yr, he averaged 10 min for 1.3 PPG) at Duke.....

ugadevil
01-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Good to see that Jamal is doing well. Hopefully his hard work will continue to pay off for him on the court and he'll earn a quality education.

NYC Duke Fan
01-27-2008, 03:29 AM
In last night's loss to Stanford, Jamal played 23 minutes, scored 14 points on 7-12 shooting , had 4 offensive and 4 defensive rebounds. Good for him...we wish him only good things !!!!

FreezingDevil
01-27-2008, 10:20 AM
Yeah Jamal! I'm really happy to see that he has started to make an impact at Cal. He was always one of my favorite players while he was at Duke. Some guys on the basketball team tend to be withdrawn and quiet, but Jamal made it his personal mission to befriend every person on campus. I was sad to see him go, but it makes me glad to see he is doing well at Cal. Best of luck Jamal!

Ignatius07
01-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Sometimes - I'm sure like other people on this board - I get a little bitter when players leave before I think they should, but I am truly happy for Jamal. His enthusiasm was infectious, and that alone probably would have been a significant contribution to Duke's teams, even if his ability didn't always warrant him playing time. Having a crowd favorite like that is great for momentum and such. But he clearly did what was best for his playing career and I hope he can continue to excel at Cal.

DukePA
01-27-2008, 11:26 AM
In last night's loss to Stanford, Jamal played 23 minutes, scored 14 points on 7-12 shooting , had 4 offensive and 4 defensive rebounds. Good for him...we wish him only good things !!!!

"Who let Jamal out? Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh!" We're happy for you and miss you.

speedevil
01-27-2008, 01:19 PM

jamal must have improved since he left duke.

could duke use him now or is he playing only because lesser talent at cal?

if he was still at duke, he would be playing either the 4 or 5.

Ignatius07
01-27-2008, 02:19 PM
At the very least, he'd be able to provide a solid body and 5 fouls in the post tonight, and until Zoubek returns.

3rd Dukie
01-27-2008, 04:09 PM
His numbers did look good last night, but I watched half of the game, and he still seemed a little confused, lost or at least not comfortable. I do not know if he started, but when Hardin or Anderson got into foul trouble, he seemed to be mostly at the 4. Not a bad game at all, but Cal's talent is not top tier ACC quality. Still, they do have one of the more underrated players in the country in Ryan Anderson. He is the real deal. He and Hardin make up a good frontcourt, regardless of the third guy.

I, too, am very glad to see him do well. I live right next door (figuratively speaking) to Stanford and see him fairly often. The odd thing is how few Pac Ten games are on TV. Then they start complaining that their teams and players don't get national respect. Hmmm, I wonder why?. Stanford has some good players as well, and basketball fans nationwide might appreciate seeing them.

Just my .02, of course.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
02-01-2008, 11:59 AM
I just noticed that Cameron favorite and former Devil Jamal Boykin had a big game for Cal last night.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=280310265

Jamal had 12 and 7, as well as two free throws and block to ice the game. Cal's coach added that "[Jamal] was the emotion behind our win." Great to see a guy like Jamal have success, I know we're all cheering for him.

SilkyJ
02-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Great to see a guy like Jamal have success, I know we're all cheering for him.

I certainly am. Great kid. Having recently moved to the Bay Area I've been trying to go catch a game, but haven't made it yet...

3rd Dukie
02-01-2008, 03:18 PM
I certainly am. Great kid. Having recently moved to the Bay Area I've been trying to go catch a game, but haven't made it yet...

Same here. The San Jose Mercury News made it sound Jordanesque. Great to see. I don't even know if the games was on TV. There is not good coverage out here.
However, I was otherwise engaged anyway (as in watching the Devils).

BD80
02-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Jamal Boykin had a big game for Cal last night.

Wow. Started in place of the starting center. Scored 12, had 7 rebounds, a key block, and led the team with 3 assists. Against a top 10 team.

Why hasn't Coach K recruited guys like this?

How come he can't land recruits like this?

Clipsfan
02-01-2008, 08:11 PM
I just noticed that Cameron favorite and former Devil Jamal Boykin had a big game for Cal last night.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=280310265

Jamal had 12 and 7, as well as two free throws and block to ice the game. Cal's coach added that "[Jamal] was the emotion behind our win." Great to see a guy like Jamal have success, I know we're all cheering for him.

Boykin has been slowly fitting into the Cal team and I hope that he has a lot of success with them. In contrast, ESPN highlighted Boateng last night in the UCLA-ASU game and called him a huge disappointment (basically saying "How can a McDonald's All-American not be able to contribute to ASU???")

Btw, the quote about Jamal being the emotion behind the win was from one of the players, Anderson, not Braun (Cal's coach).

Channing
03-08-2008, 05:14 PM
This is my first chance to really watch him play since he transferred. I am not sure if he is having a break out game or if he was always this good - but he is playing REALLY well. He is making strong athletic moves inside, knocking down three pointers. Good for Jamal - he is playing really really well.

kramerbr
03-08-2008, 05:27 PM
It is indeed a break out game for Jamal. I believe it is a career high with his previous high being 14 pts. Congrats to Jamal and I hope he has a great career at Cal.

Bluedog
03-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Too bad UCLA was again given the benefit of the doubt from the officials for the second game in a row. :rolleyes: Anybody else think that just may have been a foul? But, great going Jamal! 18 pts on 8-12 shooting is a pretty solid outing.

duke211
03-13-2008, 10:04 AM
I really wish we had him, his game looks good, he looks like he gained some more muscle, I think he would defensively would match up better with green, and would help out Lance

ugadevil
03-13-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm assuming this post was made after seeing Jamal play against Washington last night? I watched part of the game and cheered hard for Jamal and was excited to see him playing so hard and enjoying the game with his teammates. However, from the parts that I saw, Jamal struggles with a lot of the same things Lance does. At times, he looked out of control and made silly mistakes by committing fouls all over the place. Also, he missed two consecutive free throws down the stretch, which turned out not to hurt the team. I'm glad he's doing well because he certainly deserves it, but it's not like I really felt like he is sorely missed from this year's team. I think Jamal's transfer has probably worked out well for both parties involved, which is great.