PDA

View Full Version : Memphis-Georgetown

AluminumDuke
12-22-2007, 02:23 PM
For those who missed it, Memphis looks highly impressive. Fast, athletic, and deep. Dropped 85 on a Georgetown team that had previously not given up 60 points to anyone this season.

Troublemaker
12-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Interestingly enough, and I may be wrong, but I thought Georgetown looked like the team with better long-term prospects even though Memphis beat them comfortably. The Hoyas moved the ball better and seemed to be able to get scoring from all over while Memphis relied a lot on iso from CDR and Rose to get their points (although not as much as when they played UConn earlier in the season). Long-term, Georgetown's way will be more successful, imo. The Hoyas obviously have to rebound better and Hibbert has to play much better but I have no reason to believe either of those aspects were any more than anomalies in this game.

mapei
12-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Interestingly, some of the Hoyas' downfalls echoed those of Duke against Pitt - getting massively outrebounded, and horrid FT shooting. Gtown still had great execution at times, and very good D, but Memphis's defense and rebounding were just too much. Plus Derrick Rose is one quick dude.

weezie
12-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Get ready for MSU-Texas. Apparently the TX team wingspan wraps around the equator.

Memphis Devil
12-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Having watched more of Memphis than G-town, I will say that Memphis is the kind of team everyone fears. When they play like they did in the second half of todays game, no one and I mean no one can play with them. However, the problem with Memphis is that these dominant performances rarely last an entire half not to mention a whole game. They have a tendency to disappear, sometimes for entire games, relying only on God given ability (of which they have alot) to beat inferior opponents (see USC game). I agree that they rely too much on an NBA style, one on one type of game. This type of game plan will and has cost them crucial games against solid teams that can force the tempo.

Uncle Drew
12-22-2007, 11:30 PM
Memphis looked very good today and as agreed with another poster, a team everyone fears when they are clicking. One sportswriter suggested recently that if they didn't lose to Georgetown today they might well go undefeated during the regular season. They are in a weaker conference and the rest of their non-conference is weaker still. However if they were to not lose a regular season game I don't think it bodes well for them in the NCAA's regardless of seeding. And the generally light weight schedule probably won't leave them battle tested. We all hated Duke losing to Pitt, but Duke will learn far more in that loss than Memphis ever will beating the cupcakes on their schedule. I'm still not out of the habit of calling them Memphis State however.