PDA

View Full Version : Just a comment

trueblue
12-22-2007, 12:59 AM
I am getting over the loss. It was hard because at one point in the first half, I found myself shaking my head thinking...wow we are good; then we lost. That was tough, but we ARE good.

Last year everyone was on Paulus' case. Although he had a tough game last night, that cat has been good. Those clutch shots he hit against Davidson were unreal. I don't understand why we don't run more screens for him or a little inside out. Greg is a great shooter, and the sliding/fading jumpers he hits from time to time prove to me he is not simply a set-shooter. If he starts hitting the floater, a shot which I'm not crazy about but he takes from time to time (that could be deadly-Ed Cota), it would open things up for some dish off lay-ups.

Last year everyone wanted a go-to guy; someone to score when we needed it. Gerald is certainly emerging as that guy. He got caught last night calling for screens too much and taking a lot of time when running a set would have helped, but thank god he is thinking that way now. We need that. It will develop...he is working into this role.

Kyle is Kyle. That is the craftiest freshman I have seen in a while. The way he uses his off-hand on rebounds, or slides during a double team is incredible for his age. He and Lance were deadly on the double team a couple times last night.

Demarcus is a bull. I wish he would put the ball a little more in his finger-tips for his free-throws and out of that palm, but that would mean changing his technique and he is the leading scorer in California state history. He works hard at it though and that is all that anyone can ask.

Nolan has shown that we have a guard who can not only penetrate, but wants to and can finish after he gets down there. That is a huge bonus; his handles will get better as he figures out what he can and can not do at this level.

Jon Scheyer had an off night offensively, but WHAT a player. What a Duke player. Never takes a possession off.

What depth we have. We shorten the bench in big games, but after ACC play our bench will be longer in the bigger games. They'll grow and I'll be proudly watching. I love this team.

Ben63
12-22-2007, 01:15 AM
I am getting over the loss. [B63] It was hard because at one point in the first half, I found myself shaking my head thinking...wow we are good; then we lost. That was tough, but we ARE good.

That is a great point. We lost. Big deal. Lets get over it and concentrate on something else. I know the Cornell game seems like it is ages away but lets find something else to talk about. Please. When there are over 240 posts in the post game thread in 24 hours, that is ridiculous. Damitt lets just learn from our mistakes and take some well earned time off. Its not like were 2-9. Were 10-1. Lets not cry about it like Chad Johnson. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=57HEkdIe3ac)

ThatDukeFan1
12-22-2007, 08:05 AM
what you said about greg, i can agree with most of it. he is a great shooter, but he's not a strong penetrater. which is a flaw in his game that has got to be fixed. i think we also need to set up more plays for greg to score, but not against pitt. i wasn't too impressed with his performance.

about the "go to guy" i think gerald is proving that he's a good strong clutch player, along with dmark (that reverse layout was sweet!) but when you look at it, not the same players always have a good night, so i think our "go to guy" is going to vary throughout the season. i think henderson is always a good option considering his permimeter shot and driving ability. but some nights he's going to have a bad night, and we'll have to accept that. i think that whoever has the hot hand has to be the guy with the ball in his hand whether it's gerald, greg, kyle, dmark, scheyer, or whoever. i think any of our guards (plus kyle) are all able to take the shot in the clutch.

you're right kyle is a crafty freshman, and i can't lie, the guy is a PLAYER. but i do think he needs to get stronger. all in all, he plays strong inside in the post, but just that little extra bit of strength could put his post game on a whole different level.

dmark is a monster, i just wish he could shoot FT's. but i won't complain, he's a heck of a competitor. i just wish he wasn't a senior

now, lets talk some scheyer. this kid is my favorite player, has been since his freshman year. he's probably one of the smartest thinkers and best decision makers on the court. i hate to see him not start, but he's a beast off the bench, and i wouldn't trade his rebounding ability or shooting ability for anything. he plays with heart and determination, and tons of hustle. he's just an all-around great player. if he's having a bad shooting night, then he's going to fill up the rest of the stat sheet and do what he can do.

SMO
12-22-2007, 08:15 AM
I am getting over the loss. It was hard because at one point in the first half, I found myself shaking my head thinking...wow we are good; then we lost. That was tough, but we ARE good.

Last year everyone was on Paulus' case. Although he had a tough game last night, that cat has been good. Those clutch shots he hit against Davidson were unreal. I don't understand why we don't run more screens for him or a little inside out. Greg is a great shooter, and the sliding/fading jumpers he hits from time to time prove to me he is not simply a set-shooter. If he starts hitting the floater, a shot which I'm not crazy about but he takes from time to time (that could be deadly-Ed Cota), it would open things up for some dish off lay-ups.

Last year everyone wanted a go-to guy; someone to score when we needed it. Gerald is certainly emerging as that guy. He got caught last night calling for screens too much and taking a lot of time when running a set would have helped, but thank god he is thinking that way now. We need that. It will develop...he is working into this role.

Kyle is Kyle. That is the craftiest freshman I have seen in a while. The way he uses his off-hand on rebounds, or slides during a double team is incredible for his age. He and Lance were deadly on the double team a couple times last night.

Demarcus is a bull. I wish he would put the ball a little more in his finger-tips for his free-throws and out of that palm, but that would mean changing his technique and he is the leading scorer in California state history. He works hard at it though and that is all that anyone can ask.

Nolan has shown that we have a guard who can not only penetrate, but wants to and can finish after he gets down there. That is a huge bonus; his handles will get better as he figures out what he can and can not do at this level.

Jon Scheyer had an off night offensively, but WHAT a player. What a Duke player. Never takes a possession off.

What depth we have. We shorten the bench in big games, but after ACC play our bench will be longer in the bigger games. They'll grow and I'll be proudly watching. I love this team.

I agree in that I love this team and was thinking during the game that a loss may help these guys more than a win. If you shoot around 50% from the line, turn it over almost 20 times, blow some lay-ups, and take some bad shots then maybe it's better to deal with the consequences. Had they pulled it out there might not have been the sense of urgency in correcting these issues. I'm sure K would have addressed them in practice, but the sting of the loss should be motivating. I think this loss will make them stronger.

Devilsfan
12-22-2007, 11:41 AM
I heard Roy ran a 5+ hour practice after the Nichols State preformance. I bet K would have doubled that if we returned to practice the next day. Better for our players to let him simmer down a little.