PDA

View Full Version : Duke women update

jimsumner
12-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Duke defeated Bucknell tonight 92-49. Solid victory. Duke looked sharper and more focused than against Utah Valley Tuesday.

Biggest difference?. Unlike Tuesday, when Duke was outrebounded, Duke took advantage of a size discrepancy for for 57-32 rebounding advantage. Team effort. 8 rebounds for Cheek, Black, and Gay. Duke held Bucknell's center, Hope Foster to 2 points. She is their best player.

Jasmine Thomas rebounded from a sub-par game Tuesday, She scored 12 points, with 4 assists and 0 turnovers.

Wanisha Smith was much better tonight in her second game back, 11 points, 3 assists, 3 rebounds. Black and Cheek led Duke with 19 points, a career high for Cheek. Abby Waner had 16 points and 4 more steals. Karima Christmas had 5 steals off the bench.

Duke 20 steals and forced 32 turnovers. Duke played a zone press most of the game and tried to force the tempo. Duke was on pace for 100 points most of the game until coming up empty over the last several minutes.

Shooting was still subpar. Even with 33! offensive rebounds, Duke only shot 44.0% from the field and 43.8 (7-16) from the line; 5-16 on 3s. Bucknell guard Kesha Champion penetrated too easily and scored 21 points; she did have 5 turnovers.

The refs let them play. Only 18 total fouls, 10 by Bucknell. No one on either team had more than 2 fouls.

To my surprise, Brittany Mitch didn't get in the game until the final 6 minutes. She did play well in that stint, 4 points, 2 rebounds.

Attendance listed at 4868 but that's a stretch. Again, the alumni band provided most of the pizzaz but there were some students in attendance.

Krystal Thomas dressed out but did not play. She has a rather cumbersome brace on her leg but she is making progress. Not sure about next week.

KJ hurt her left hand but came back. Doesn't appear to be serious. Be nice to have everybody healthy, fingers crossed.

Son of Jarhead
12-21-2007, 10:57 PM
Jim, Thanks for the update!

I have a WBB related question that I am hoping someone can answer:

Has a definate date been set for the ceremony to retire Lindsey Harding's jersey #10 & if so, what date/game?

I thought I had read somewhere that it was to be at the NCState game, on 2/20, but now I can't find anything to confirm that. I would like to purchase tickets to the game as a gift to my mother, so I need to know which game. I hadn't yet thought of anything special to get her this year & then this idea hit me. You see, she has seen every basketball jersey retirement ceremony ever, from Dick Groat through Shelden Williams & JJ Redick, & including Alana Beard. I can't let her miss this one.

Thanks in advance for the assist.

jimsumner
12-21-2007, 11:05 PM
I'll see what I can find out.

jimsumner
12-21-2007, 11:25 PM
January 20 (not February 20). NC State. Sunday, 1 P.M.

cbfx3
12-21-2007, 11:26 PM
We just got back from the game.. press looked really good. Lotta easy shots missed that would have pushed the score well over 100. Interior defense still worries me a bit but that is one nasty press to have to beat. The ladies really hustled and were aggresive all night. Love to watch Christmas play. She really scraps hard and appears to really enjoy herself out there. Man if you live anywhere near Durham do yourself a favor and go see the ladies play. We have tickets for 6 more games and my girls love to go. The women always take time for the kids after the game too.

Son of Jarhead
12-22-2007, 12:48 AM
Thank you so very much! Have a wonderful Holiday season!

DukeFencer
12-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Is her jersey being retired too? If so any date info?