PDA

View Full Version : Cook's Injury and "Let's go Duke"

freedevil
12-21-2007, 02:53 PM
I want to know what actually happened last night while Cook was injured, screaming in pain, and generally writhing on the floor. Were Duke fans really foolish enough to start chanting "Let's go Duke"? If so, I'm incredibly disappointed. If someone at the game knows that something else was actually going on, I would love to know.

terrih
12-21-2007, 03:08 PM
OMG.

Yes, Duke fans actually started chanting, "Lets go Duke" about 1 minute into the injury time. I could be wrong, it might have been 2 minutes or 3, but regardless- how CLASSLESS. I was soooo embarassed and was sitting next to some Pitt fans. I started booing the Duke fans that were doing the cheering. They weren't right near me and it seemed to only be a few sections - but picked up alittle and then stopped. But again, i was sooo embarrased and appauled at such behavior.

freedevil
12-21-2007, 03:21 PM
That's extremely disappointing.

Mike Corey
12-21-2007, 03:43 PM
By chance, does anyone know if they were adults, students or children? It doesn't make much difference either way, I'm just curious.

Also, how many people chimed in? It sounded like a lot, but hopefully it was just a handful of morons whose voices were simply magnified by the respectful silence being shown by everyone else toward the injured young man on the floor.

allenmurray
12-21-2007, 03:53 PM
This was one of the most outragous thing i heard during the game.
At first i though we were UNC fans because of the chant.

Mike Cook is a player from ECU and is a senior who is now out for the enitre year with a torn acl.

I am very dissapointed in the integrity of the Duke fans at last night's game

John Q. Devil
12-21-2007, 04:28 PM
By chance, does anyone know if they were adults, students or children? It doesn't make much difference either way, I'm just curious.

Also, how many people chimed in? It sounded like a lot, but hopefully it was just a handful of morons whose voices were simply magnified by the respectful silence being shown by everyone else toward the injured young man on the floor.

It was a pretty significant chunk of the end zone in which Cook was writhing. It was pretty classless, but the irony was dripping when drunken Pitt fans chanted, "Show some class." In general, the Pitt fans were a bunch of morons, but this was a pretty low moment for a couple hundred Duke fans.

greybeard
12-21-2007, 04:38 PM
I don't think Cook gave a hoot.

Nor do I think that injured players are at all moved when fans cheer as they are being hauled off the court. In fact, that practice always struck me as somewhat bizzare--cheering for what, the injury?

My experience, hurt players are completely absorbed by the sensations of their injuries and concerns about what the consequences will be. (some are even in the mode, it's only a slight tear, I'll be back in . . . .) Everything else is extraneous noise, including who wins.

So, I was not offended by the Duke cheers. Life goes on for everyone, and the guy with the injury knows that all too well.

cspan37421
12-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Of course they're not cheering for the injury, it is a get-well wish. Sometimes cheering that the person can hobble off on their own rather than being carried on a stretcher.

Following my posts on ASU/UD/Div 1-FCS, it suggests that sportsmanship is in decline, and not just in the US of A. Soccer used to be the "beautiful game" but it is now cheered on by drunken hooligans and played by guys who routinely flop and fake injury to such a degree that they're carried off on a stretcher and return a minute later full strength.

The only solution is to teach sportsmanship starting at a young age and never quit teaching it.

hondoheel
12-21-2007, 05:38 PM
and played by guys who routinely flop

The only solution is to teach sportsmanship starting at a young age and never quit teaching it.

:eek: Oh noes!

feldspar
12-21-2007, 06:11 PM
I don't think Cook gave a hoot.

Nor do I think that injured players are at all moved when fans cheer as they are being hauled off the court. In fact, that practice always struck me as somewhat bizzare--cheering for what, the injury?

My experience, hurt players are completely absorbed by the sensations of their injuries and concerns about what the consequences will be. (some are even in the mode, it's only a slight tear, I'll be back in . . . .) Everything else is extraneous noise, including who wins.

So, I was not offended by the Duke cheers. Life goes on for everyone, and the guy with the injury knows that all too well.

It's a pure gesture of sportsmanship. If that concept escapes you than I guess I can understand why you weren't offended by the cheer.

ETA: Let's be honest, you really have not one iota of a clue what Cook thought of it, nor what all other players think of similar gestures. Let's not pretend that you do.

dukie8
12-21-2007, 08:08 PM
It's a pure gesture of sportsmanship. If that concept escapes you than I guess I can understand why you weren't offended by the cheer.

ETA: Let's be honest, you really have not one iota of a clue what Cook thought of it, nor what all other players think of similar gestures. Let's not pretend that you do.

why is that "sportsmanship" to clap for someone when he is carted off the field/court? i, too, have never understood that practice. if fans are such good "sports," then why are they booing and yelling all sorts of explicatives at the opponents? moreover, it's not like when the injured player gets up he is thinking how great it is that people are clapping for him. if you slipped and fell on the sidewalk and a group of people got around u to help you up, wouldn't you think it was odd if they started clapping? it's not that much different than this weird tradition at us sports.

cspan37421
12-21-2007, 08:19 PM
why is that "sportsmanship" to clap for someone when he is carted off the field/court? i, too, have never understood that practice.

Have you noticed that the clapping isn't the same kind as when a team scores or wins? There's generally no hollering or shouting of any kind. It is a low key applause that signifies respect, well-wishes, and sort of a tribute for giving it their all (and sacrificing their health) on the field/court. It is totally different from what you describe below. At least, that's how I interpret it, that's how I apply it, and I think that's how most folks understand it.

if fans are such good "sports," then why are they booing and yelling all sorts of explicatives at the opponents? moreover, it's not like when the injured player gets up he is thinking how great it is that people are clapping for him.

Don't be too sure. If you know some college or pro athletes, I suggest you ask a sampling of them.

dukie8
12-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Have you noticed that the clapping isn't the same kind as when a team scores or wins? There's generally no hollering or shouting of any kind. It is a low key applause that signifies respect, well-wishes, and sort of a tribute for giving it their all (and sacrificing their health) on the field/court. It is totally different from what you describe below. At least, that's how I interpret it, that's how I apply it, and I think that's how most folks understand it.

Don't be too sure. If you know some college or pro athletes, I suggest you ask a sampling of them.

i know that is what it is supposed to mean but it doesn't make it any less bizarre. as i stated above, if i fell on the sidewalk and a group of people helped me up, i would think it no less odd if they started clapping than when people start clapping for an injured player. it is a very odd way of wishing someone well.

i know plenty of college athletes and, as stated above, if they are hurt badly enough that the game has to stop and they have to be helped off the court, the last thing on their minds is "golly gee, that is awfully nice of the people to start clapping for me while in am in excruciating pain and worried that i may have a season ending injury." let me ask you this, if you saw a car crash, would you start clapping for the injured victims as they are extracted from the car? if not, then why wouldn't you use this odd form of well-wishing then?

feldspar
12-21-2007, 10:14 PM
i know that is what it is supposed to mean but it doesn't make it any less bizarre. as i stated above, if i fell on the sidewalk and a group of people helped me up, i would think it no less odd if they started clapping than when people start clapping for an injured player. it is a very odd way of wishing someone well.

i know plenty of college athletes and, as stated above, if they are hurt badly enough that the game has to stop and they have to be helped off the court, the last thing on their minds is "golly gee, that is awfully nice of the people to start clapping for me while in am in excruciating pain and worried that i may have a season ending injury." let me ask you this, if you saw a car crash, would you start clapping for the injured victims as they are extracted from the car? if not, then why wouldn't you use this odd form of well-wishing then?

There are times when it's appropriate to cross that certain line, and there are times when it's not. In my opinion, it's appropriate for me to now cross that line.

That was the most freaking idiotic post I've ever read.

SeattleIrish
12-21-2007, 10:41 PM
While I didn't participate in a high-profile sport, and not even at the highest level (I wrestled for a D.III school...in fact, it was NAIA at the time), I actually had that experience twice.

I broke my arm, er...HAD my arm broken, to be exact, during an out-of-conference tourney and I do remember having the crowd applaud and feeling at least a little moved by the fact that people who weren't associated with my team were clapping. I also had a very nasty knee injury my jr, and last, year (torn ACL, torn ICL, dislocated knee and torn cart.) during another tourney (an invitational in Courde'lane ID) and had the same positive regard for those applauding...meant even more when I saw fellow wrestlers standing and applauding.

So, I know it's not anywhere near the same experience or level, but I know I was aware people were applauding and it did feel good...for whatever that's worth.

s.i.

devilirium
12-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Seattle Irish,

I think applauding as an injured player is one thing....and appropriate.

But chanting "Let's Go Duke" (and I'm not directing this at you) is at best uninformed and at worst classless. This type of stuff, just my .02, when the students are not at the game as a group.

In short, we have some idiotic fans.

zingit
12-22-2007, 12:13 AM
if you slipped and fell on the sidewalk and a group of people got around u to help you up, wouldn't you think it was odd if they started clapping? it's not that much different than this weird tradition at us sports.

One difference is that people around you on the sidewalk can actually talk to you and personally wish you well verbally. In a basketball arena, fans generally can't do that and be heard. And there's no get-well card being passed around for everyone to sign. So they clap. Clapping generally communicates positive feelings. Don't know why it bothers you so much.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-22-2007, 12:39 AM
I was there (at the far end from the injury), and I don't think the Let's Go Duke cheer was in poor taste at all.

When Cook got hurt, the arena went quiet. They showed a replay on the big screens, and everyone cringed when we saw his knee go sideways. More quiet while they worked on him. Then, after what seemed like a couple of minutes, the Let's Go Duke cheer went up. Folks, we were trying to bolster OUR team, which is why we were there to begin with, and let's face it we were struggling at that point. The kid hurt his knee - he didn't have a life-threatening injury; there was nothing any of us could have done for him. After the cheer stopped, they continued to work on Cook. When the got him up and carried him off, Duke fans applauded, then stood and applauded more loudly as he got to the bench. The Pitt fans right in front of me didn't applaud at all, they just sat on their drunken butts. I'm sure other Pitt fans did applaud, but I felt good that the majority of fans, who were 80+% Duke fans, applauded in sufficient quantity.

uncwdevil
12-22-2007, 03:19 AM
I was there (at the far end from the injury), and I don't think the Let's Go Duke cheer was in poor taste at all.

When Cook got hurt, the arena went quiet. They showed a replay on the big screens, and everyone cringed when we saw his knee go sideways. More quiet while they worked on him. Then, after what seemed like a couple of minutes, the Let's Go Duke cheer went up. Folks, we were trying to bolster OUR team, which is why we were there to begin with, and let's face it we were struggling at that point. The kid hurt his knee - he didn't have a life-threatening injury; there was nothing any of us could have done for him. After the cheer stopped, they continued to work on Cook. When the got him up and carried him off, Duke fans applauded, then stood and applauded more loudly as he got to the bench. The Pitt fans right in front of me didn't applaud at all, they just sat on their drunken butts. I'm sure other Pitt fans did applaud, but I felt good that the majority of fans, who were 80+% Duke fans, applauded in sufficient quantity.

I was at the game and this post mirrors my viewpoint more than any of the others.

4decadedukie
12-22-2007, 04:34 AM
Of course they're not cheering for the injury, it is a get-well wish. Sometimes cheering that the person can hobble off on their own rather than being carried on a stretcher.

Unfortunately, CSPAN, I very much doubt if it was perceived as "a get-well wish" and that is the critical standard by which we were/are judged.

duke74
12-22-2007, 06:33 AM
I was at the game and this post mirrors my viewpoint more than any of the others.

I was also there...this was my perspective as well.

sandinmyshoes
12-22-2007, 07:28 AM
I think all of you have skewed perspectives. The "Let's go Duke" chant could have waited until after the kid was taken off the court and the teams were getting ready for the inbounds. I was not at the game, but from afar it made Duke fans seem arrogant and self-absorbed. Not the worst sort of offense, but one that Duke fans should be above.

As does the question of why someone would clap for a fallen opponant when they get back up or are helped off the court. During the games we surrender to a competitive instinct that is best kept in check during other parts of our life. When a player, especially a college kid, is injured we acknowledge that ultimately we are talking about a game here and we don't, or shouldn't, wish actual misfortune on the kids playing that game. And so we clap as encouragement.

ThatDukeFan1
12-22-2007, 07:47 AM
i personally don't think that the "Lets Go Duke" chants were to be taken in a rude way. overall, it was a disrespectful chant in the eyes of many people, but at the same time i think the chant was for other reasons. for example, i think the fans started chanting it just so they could keep our blue devils fired up. i would like to think that it's not to be rude and/or disrespectful.

i think they picked a bad time to start their chanting, but when you look at it from a duke fan perspective it was probably just saying "lets go duke" in general to keep the boys fired up.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-22-2007, 10:56 AM
i personally don't think that the "Lets Go Duke" chants were to be taken in a rude way. overall, it was a disrespectful chant in the eyes of many people, but at the same time i think the chant was for other reasons. for example, i think the fans started chanting it just so they could keep our blue devils fired up. i would like to think that it's not to be rude and/or disrespectful.

i think they picked a bad time to start their chanting, but when you look at it from a duke fan perspective it was probably just saying "lets go duke" in general to keep the boys fired up.

Was it a bad time or in poor taste for the Duke players to gather around their bench and for the coaches to coach the team? Yell at the team? Try to get their heads in the game and turn around the momentum? I think not. If Coach K gathered the team around him and had them hold hands and sing Kumbaya we'd be calling for Coach K's head and think he'd lost his mind.

While concern for the injured player is genuine and properly reflected in appreciative applause as he gets off the court, like I said earlier he wasn't in a life threatening situation that demanded total reverence.

blazindw
12-22-2007, 11:43 AM
I was at the game at the end of the court where the injury occurred. I had just come back from using the bathroom and my friend told me what happened. From where we were sitting, the group of fans who started the chant could not see that the guy was still on the ground (their line of sight to Cook was blocked by the goalpost). From what he said, it was very quick and drowned out by boos, but it seemed like they thought that he was up off the court already and that there was a timeout. I don't think it was deliberate at all, and if they had seen he was still on the court, it probably wouldn't have been started.

Just my .02

SeattleIrish
12-23-2007, 11:19 AM
My post was not meant to support the chant, but to provide a perspective different than the one duke8 was providing.

s.i.

While I didn't participate in a high-profile sport, and not even at the highest level (I wrestled for a D.III school...in fact, it was NAIA at the time), I actually had that experience twice.

I broke my arm, er...HAD my arm broken, to be exact, during an out-of-conference tourney and I do remember having the crowd applaud and feeling at least a little moved by the fact that people who weren't associated with my team were clapping. I also had a very nasty knee injury my jr, and last, year (torn ACL, torn ICL, dislocated knee and torn cart.) during another tourney (an invitational in Courde'lane ID) and had the same positive regard for those applauding...meant even more when I saw fellow wrestlers standing and applauding.

So, I know it's not anywhere near the same experience or level, but I know I was aware people were applauding and it did feel good...for whatever that's worth.

s.i.

willywoody
12-23-2007, 03:56 PM
that makes more sense. it's too bad, as i also believe it came across as a poor representation of our fans.

I was at the game at the end of the court where the injury occurred. I had just come back from using the bathroom and my friend told me what happened. From where we were sitting, the group of fans who started the chant could not see that the guy was still on the ground (their line of sight to Cook was blocked by the goalpost). From what he said, it was very quick and drowned out by boos, but it seemed like they thought that he was up off the court already and that there was a timeout. I don't think it was deliberate at all, and if they had seen he was still on the court, it probably wouldn't have been started.

Just my .02

Virginian
12-23-2007, 07:50 PM

Sounds to me like there was a long quiet period and some Duke fans decided to fill up the void with a cheer for their team. Why does everyone assume this cheer was somehow an improbable and illogical celebration of Cook's injury? That interpretation is just bizarre in the extreme. That people here would just assume the worst of Duke fans is very disappointing to me.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I don't think the people knocking Duke in this thread have any more reliable information about this than I do and I am not jumping to the conclusion that Duke fans celebrated this kid's injury.

Sheesh.