PDA

View Full Version : The Sun

EarlJam
12-20-2007, 03:50 PM
If the sun just suddenly went out, how long would it take for all of us to die?

-EarlJam

Indoor66
12-20-2007, 03:51 PM
If the sun just suddenly went out, how long would it take for all of us to die?

-EarlJam

I have no idea but I will guess 7 minutes, 57 seconds.

EarlJam
12-20-2007, 03:53 PM

You think it would be that quick? I know it takes eight minutes for the sun's light to reach Earth. Is that what you are basing your guess on?

I don't know how long the Earth can retain heat. Would we just instantly all freeze? Or would it be a gradual but permanent decline in temperature? Man. I really hope the sun doesn't go out.

-EarlJam

colchar
12-20-2007, 04:02 PM

Isn't that the exact length of the studio version of Stairway to Heaven?

DUKIECB
12-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Isn't that the exact length of the studio version of Stairway to Heaven?

Nope, 8:01

ugadevil
12-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Well what about this issue...If the moon was made of ribs, would ya' eat it?!

hurleyfor3
12-20-2007, 04:23 PM
The sun goes out for several hours every day. So assuming this refers to the disappearance of the sun and not something like a supernova, we'd be able to live far longer than eight minutes.

I'd put it at a couple weeks, which is how long it would take for our food to perish and run out.

EarlJam
12-20-2007, 04:25 PM
The sun goes out for several hours every day. So assuming this refers to the disappearance of the sun and not something like a supernova, we'd be able to live far longer than eight minutes.

I'd put it at a couple weeks, which is how long it would take for our food to perish and run out.

The sun goes out for several hours every day?

Duvall
12-20-2007, 04:27 PM
The sun goes out for several hours every day?

Well, it hides behind a giant rock.

EarlJam
12-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Well, it hides behind a giant rock.

If you are talking about nighttime, well, the Earth is still being heated by it. Even thought one half of the Earth is dark, the other half is lit, and the entire atmosphere benefits. But if the sun went out, no part of the Earth would be receiving heat, light, etc.

hurleyfor3
12-20-2007, 04:38 PM
But if the sun went out, no part of the Earth would be receiving heat, light, etc.

More importantly, the earth would keep getting colder because nothing would be there to the dark parts of it back up. Pretty soon we'd level off to a few Kelvin above absolute zero. The use of fossil fuels to generate light and heat would still be possible, but only slightly postpone the inevitable. So I'd have to revise my answer to maybe 48 hours maximum.

Another consideration is that the solar system would be without a gravitational force to keep it together, so it would become more likely we slam into Mars or some asteroid.

EarlJam
12-20-2007, 04:50 PM
...slam into Mars or some asteroid.

These make for good lyrics:

Rocket through space;
In my X-V Seven;
Night Train to my face;
As I skim the heavens.

Got a Milky Way buzz;
As I cruise through the stars;
Stoppin' off at Venus;
At the Lady's bars.