PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out there that can help Zoub?

Dukebacker
03-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Zoubeck has potential to be a absolute monster. He has already shown flashes of brilliance on the defensive side...but on the offensive side..just about every time he gets the ball and wants to go up with it...you can just about guess he is going to travel.

My question is...is anybody working with him to improve this..because it has been a reoccuring theme throughout the season. Zoub could probably drop about 10-15 a game if he got this down. Imagine Zoub Henderson and Singler scoring at will with Paulus and Scheyer in the mix.

I have very high hopes for this kid. Maybe bring in Shelden and work with him? Something along those lines. I hope it gets fixed for next year.

ItalianDevil
03-11-2007, 04:49 PM
we should just hire G-man as a specific post players coach instead of Wojo.
otherwise Zoub = Domzalski II = 0 factor (or, maybe, next one to transfer when he gets bored).
oh, and we should avoid tossing bunches if threes, for that matters, and start playing basketball again.

regards

Lord Ash
03-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Do we ever send players to Pete's big man camp? That still runs, no?

dukelifer
03-11-2007, 05:12 PM
Zoubeck has potential to be a absolute monster. He has already shown flashes of brilliance on the defensive side...but on the offensive side..just about every time he gets the ball and wants to go up with it...you can just about guess he is going to travel.

My question is...is anybody working with him to improve this..because it has been a reoccuring theme throughout the season. Zoub could probably drop about 10-15 a game if he got this down. Imagine Zoub Henderson and Singler scoring at will with Paulus and Scheyer in the mix.

I have very high hopes for this kid. Maybe bring in Shelden and work with him? Something along those lines. I hope it gets fixed for next year.

Zoubek needs to get stronger in his lower body and he will. That is a big body he has and he not finished putting on muscle on the frame.

Troublemaker
03-11-2007, 05:14 PM

That costs money. Z would have to pay out of pocket. Regardless, Z's footwork and post moves are fine if you saw him in high school. What he needs is some strength and an adjustment to not playing with defenders half a foot shorter than him.

Oriole Way
03-11-2007, 06:34 PM

Exactly what I was thinking... I believe Carlos Boozer attended this camp, and I seem to recall a lot of other impact big men attending over the years as well.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-11-2007, 06:57 PM

Yes. Boozer went. Wojo went to learn how to coach big men, and he did a pretty good job with Shelden and Carlos.

Z going would be a very good idea indeed.

Dukefan4Life
03-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Z has all the upside in the world, but the bottom like is when arent getting him the rock! i know he has trouble sometimes but we just arent getting him the ball enough to give him some confidence! all i heard was how many post moves he has, able to use his lefthand. I am sure he will be improved next year and the coaches will spend alot of time on his game.

fogey
03-11-2007, 08:52 PM
It's not about adjusting to shorter guys... it's about adjusting to the speed and power in the ACC. pre season he was fine, playing against inferior competition. when the ACC started, the speed of the game knocked him back, shook his confidence and it showed. He needs repetitions of post moves, so they are automatic, not considered... he needs to react immediately upon touching the ball, a la Hansborough, the NC State bigs, etc. Then confidence will grow, as he will cut down on the travel calls and wind up either with a bucket (few will stuff him) or free throws (which he does very well.) Z can control future. he has the potential to dominate and to contribute like Gray at Pittsburgh.

johnb
03-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Some posts should perhaps be mulled over before typed.

Has anyone thought of working on Z's footwork? Are you serious? What exactly do you think the coaching staff does? Last I checked, they consider their roles to be full-time jobs, and they may well have already noticed that that Z has had a few traveling calls this year. In fact, Zoubek himself (who was a straight A student in high school) might well have noticed this. There is a reason that Duke is the winningest team in the country over the past couple of decades, and, while some of that has to do with attracting talent, much of that has to do with developing that talent. And that includes maximizing the skillset of people like Brand, Boozer and Williams so that they could be 1st round draft pick. Notice that a lot of Duke big men became lottery picks after 2-4 years of college while many of the big men in the lottery are so immensely talented that they can jump straight to the pro's. While we sometimes consider Shav a Duke failure, for example, do consider that he has been able to hang on to an NBA spot BECAUSE OF his Wojo/K education, not because it was an albatross around his neck.

Anyway, sorry to get snarky, but I do feel that if something is so obvious that the average fan or announcer notices it, then it is likely that the coaching staff has been addressing the issue for months.

Zeke
03-12-2007, 11:16 AM
I must be the only person here that thinks that Z as a #5 is pretty good. Now before you burn the internet to shreds telling me about his travels, I think he, like Josh, are being told their main job is to feed cutters. 1) they usually don't set up in scoring positions but - if they are low posts - they set up too wide. 2) they get the ball they keep their backs to the basket and don't turn to face the basket in the triple threat position 3) to get to a scoring position it's 1-2 dribbles AFTER they decide ther is no one to pass to. This is pretty heady stuff for a post player who's biggest asset is get the ball to the hole as fast as possible BEFORE the other team swarms you.
About 3 weeks ago I heard the reporters say, for the first time, that Z was weak in the legs. I've been looking for that and I can't see it. How do I know that he is weak? What sign should I look for? The reporter related it to his travels but in my own mind, I think he's just slow in deciding what to do with the ball - who's open/ who's not - and he has become all to aware that he's likely to get jerked if he makes a bad decision. In short he's trying to do what he's been told but can't do it fast enough.

johnb
03-12-2007, 12:01 PM
1) they usually don't set up in scoring positions but - if they are low posts - they set up too wide.

Perhaps they set up wide because they lack the strength/savvy to get next to the basket against top-flight competition. Last I checked, the coaching staff encourages lay ups in its 7 footers whiel discouraging falling-away 15 footers. While they are supposed to look for cutters, they are also supposed to score, and one reason we have lost so many games has to do with our inability to score during crunch time. It's cool to do a behind-the-back wraparound pass through the lane to a streaking wing player, but we have lost most of our recent close games because no one is finishing plays. And an important reason for that is that our big guys simply aren't as strong and focused as the most elite college players, like Hansblahblah (or Shelden or Carlos), which is a reason that those guys play (or will play) in the League and our guys--at the moment--aren't yet ready.

HCFthird
03-12-2007, 01:08 PM
And I think we call can agree, he came back and was a completely different player. So good in fact, he may become a low first round pick (something Big E was not).

Zeke
03-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Perhaps they set up wide because they lack the strength/savvy to get next to the basket against top-flight competition. Last I checked, the coaching staff encourages lay ups in its 7 footers whiel discouraging falling-away 15 footers. While they are supposed to look for cutters, they are also supposed to score, and one reason we have lost so many games has to do with our inability to score during crunch time. It's cool to do a behind-the-back wraparound pass through the lane to a streaking wing player, but we have lost most of our recent close games because no one is finishing plays. And an important reason for that is that our big guys simply aren't as strong and focused as the most elite college players, like Hansblahblah (or Shelden or Carlos), which is a reason that those guys play (or will play) in the League and our guys--at the moment--aren't yet ready.

You know I thought so too (about the set up position), but Z and Josh both do it - almost to the foot- that makes me think they've been told to set up there. Also, I can almost count on one hand the times I've seen either of them just turn and shoot. If they shoot it is 1)receive the ball 2) hesitate and look around 3) dribble 1-3 times toward the lane - keeping back to the basket 4) shoot - usually a soft hook That will work but not as a steady diet It is that dribble to the lane that screws up Z - usually with several players now surrounding him
I agree with the general comment on strength. Do you have any insights as to what is ment by Z's lack of leg strength? Do they mean his jumping ability? He jumps like a "white guy" Or is it his ability to push people out of the way? - I've seen him do that and he looks OK there. I just am frustrated to know what they are talking about.

greybeard
03-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Duke does not, as a team, do a good job with penetrating passes to the middle. Duke also does not create opportunities for bigs to catch it in good spots on the move. When Duke imroves on these largely lost arts, some teams do that well, Georgetown for one, NC State for another, then you might see Zoubek be far more effective.

BTW, a while back someone suggested that NCST was going to be glad to get rid of the Princeton. Seems to me that what confounded everyone late in the season and through the tournament was Lowe's adaptation of the Princeton or one of its concepts, utilizing a low post fulcrum, instead of a high post one; with feeds from the baseline or deep corner into the post; and backdoor cuts from the offside guard, whose man was shading to help at the foul line. Killed people, especially in the first halves. A rose by any other name . . . .