PDA

View Full Version : Jumbo...

Wander
12-19-2007, 07:02 PM
I've become convinced that Jon Scheyer is the best player on this team, at least right now. I admit I originally thought you just had a huge man-crush on him. Obviously this is a balanced team and the gap between him and Nelson, Paulus, and Singler isn't that large. Also, I think there's value in keeping him on the bench to start games. But good call.

Jumbo
12-19-2007, 07:25 PM
I've become convinced that Jon Scheyer is the best player on this team, at least right now. I admit I originally thought you just had a huge man-crush on him. Obviously this is a balanced team and the gap between him and Nelson, Paulus, and Singler isn't that large. Also, I think there's value in keeping him on the bench to start games. But good call.

Wow -- thanks! I'd probably go with Singler, but I could make a compelling argument for Jon (and have). And you're right -- it's not like Henderson and Nelson are far behind.

Turtleboy
12-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Good things happen when Jon is on the court. Not sayin' anything about anyone else ... but, good things happen when Jon is on the court.

YmoBeThere
12-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Yes, but if TK got more playing time...

Lord Ash
12-19-2007, 09:17 PM
After my mancrush on Shane Battier, I most definately have a mancrush on Jon Scheyer. He has a nose for the ball that is almost unparalleled.

Wander
12-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Wow -- thanks! I'd probably go with Singler, but I could make a compelling argument for Jon (and have). And you're right -- it's not like Henderson and Nelson are far behind.

I think I could probably go with Singler by the end of the year. I want to see how he does when he faces a truly great frontcourt first. Wisconsin's and Illinois' were respectable, but I think tomorrow will be a better test.

Ben63
12-19-2007, 10:01 PM
I think Henderson is the best on the team w/ Singler close behind. Henderson can, drive, shoot, play defense, and block shots. The only part of his game that needs major improvment is his Free Throws.

weezie
12-19-2007, 10:30 PM
Singler has an innate sense of where the ball is. His presence of mind is astounding for a frosh. Henderson may be more of physically gifted player right now but they are pretty close.

mapei
12-19-2007, 10:44 PM
I've been very impressed with Scheyer this year, more than I was last year. I might put Singler first, but some nights it's Jon.

Jumbo
12-19-2007, 11:44 PM
The only part of his game that needs major improvment is his Free Throws.

Court vision?

A-Tex Devil
12-20-2007, 01:08 AM
I'd say Scheyer is the 4th best player in my mind. But you know what? That really doesn't matter and it's a good thing that we all feel differently about this. The fact that we have (let me count, Scheyer, Henderson, Singler, Nelson, King, Paulus, Smith) 7 (SEVEN!!) that could drop 20 on any given night is fricking awesome.

This team may lose 4-6 games once conference play starts, but they are fun to watch (unlike last year). I truly think the team last year expected Josh to put up 18 to 22 a night and when he didn't, no one knew what to do. This year, it's as if we can afford for 2 to 3 guys have bad nights and still beat good teams if one guy goes above and beyond and the rest do what we expect. That's a nice feeling. Can't wait for tomorrow night.

dukemomLA
12-20-2007, 06:24 AM
Henderson, Henderson, Henderson. But in truth, it doesn't matter. This is truly a TEAM! Anyone of them can shine on a given day. Cool!! Sick!!! Neato!! In your face!!! (...uh..trying to meet all generations here). I love watching this team. Let's TROUNCE Pitt tomorrow (today?) -- er, Thursday.

sandinmyshoes
12-20-2007, 07:19 AM
If you are undefeated and people are debating which player is the best player from among a pool of three or four legitamate possibilites, it is a very good thing, I think.

dukeENG2003
12-20-2007, 09:45 AM
no player on our team does a better job at making those around him better than Scheyer does, and thats why in my mind, he's our most valuable player. He just has a knack for doing whatever the team needs to win, be it hitting the mid-range jumper, grabbing 9 boards in a game when we need rebounding from our guards, making great passes, or hitting his 3 point shot when its there (although this is his biggest fault this year, not taking his shot when its there, although he's gotten better about it as of late).

jimsumner
12-20-2007, 09:46 AM
You're all wrong. Keeping in mind that the other team has the ball about half the time, the best all-around player on this year's Duke team is DeMarcus Nelson.

FWIW, that Krzyzewski guy feels the same way.

Jeffrey
12-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Hi,

I think that the responses to this thread show why this is such a very good team. How do you defend against a team with this many viable options? How do you attack (especially when Smith is on the court) a team that can pressure the ball and then give help like Duke?

I love this team,
Jeffrey

ehdg
12-20-2007, 10:29 AM
You're all wrong. Keeping in mind that the other team has the ball about half the time, the best all-around player on this year's Duke team is DeMarcus Nelson.

True but I also think Gerald Henderson isn't far behind. He's much better this year and is pretty good defensively too.

DUKIECB
12-20-2007, 11:11 AM

This is what I was going to say.

Nelson leads the team in minutes and is the only captain. There's are reason for that.

Carlos
12-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Court vision?

He sees the rim really well.

rsvman
12-20-2007, 12:41 PM
He sees the rim really well.

Yeah. As he's looking DOWN on it.:)

Devilsfan
12-20-2007, 12:50 PM
I wish he were 4 " taller. But Scheyer gets my vote for on court I.Q.

greybeard
12-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Scheyer is very diverse in his perspectives (sees the game from different positions and can play at different tempos, intensity, etc), with skills and tweener size to get to show them. I think others are just as smart, basketball wise, one or two as diverse. Singlar, in my view, is key; he's also sensational.

YmoBeThere
12-20-2007, 09:55 PM
I think tonight's game clearly demonstrated that we have a lot of really good players but not one that truly stands above the rest.