PDA

View Full Version : Britney Spears' 16 yr old sister is preggers

tombrady
12-19-2007, 07:40 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/12/19/spears.sister.ap/index.html

hahhahhahahhahhahahhahhhahhahahahahahhahaha.

wait, wait.

HAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAAHHHAHA.

allenmurray
12-19-2007, 08:30 AM
What exactly is funny about the situation?

BlueDevilBaby
12-19-2007, 09:12 AM
What's worse is their mother was to write a book on parenting which is now shelved. Who would have bought it anyway?

rthomas
12-19-2007, 09:15 AM
I promise I did not touch her.

Shammrog
12-19-2007, 09:43 AM
What's worse is their mother was to write a book on parenting which is now shelved. Who would have bought it anyway?

I knew I should have used protection!

Side note: the boyfriend was actually living with mom and the younger Spears. Parent of the Year!

johnb
12-19-2007, 11:15 AM
as someone asked, what's amusing about teen pregnancy?

knights68
12-19-2007, 11:37 AM
My only question to this situation is whether this is more of a poor showing of the junior Spears or a poor showing of the parents of the knocked up sisters?

tombrady
12-19-2007, 12:09 PM

in this specific case.....tons.

hurleyfor3
12-19-2007, 01:40 PM

Agreed. I don't date women with kids, so this takes her off the market. Not amusing at all.

Mal
12-19-2007, 01:50 PM
in this specific case.....tons.

Like what?

colchar
12-19-2007, 01:54 PM
My only question to this situation is whether this is more of a poor showing of the junior Spears or a poor showing of the parents of the knocked up sisters?

Both.

Shammrog
12-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Like what?

Well, for starters:

1. It is Britney Spears' sister; she has been a walking disaster area for a couple years now. Plenty of tabloid fodder.
2. Their mom, Lynne Spears, is (was) working on a book about good parenting; whilst
2a. The father of the child, Britney's sister's 19 year-old boyfriend, was living in the same house as said, pregnant, 16 year-old sister.

Kind of like the Darwin Awards -- death in and of itself isn't funny, but it can be given the right additional circumstances.

allenmurray
12-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Like what?

Apparantly there are folks who are so in need of having their own moral superiority boosted up that they take pleasure in the misfortune of others.

Along with the temporary feeling of "wow, she's rich and famous, but I'm still better than her" they find humor in parents who have lost control of thier parenting, 19 year olds getting 16 year olds pregnant, and the ensuing wrecked lives that their offspring will have as they are negelcted by thier ill equiped parents while photographers from people magazie follow them around from the time they are just days old until the next train wreck comes along.

Hilarious.

duke74
12-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Apparantly there are folks who are so in need of having their own moral superiority boosted up that they take pleasure in the misfortune of others.

Along with the temporary feeling of "wow, she's rich and famous, but I'm still better than her" they find humor in parents who have lost control of thier parenting, 19 year olds getting 16 year olds pregnant, and the ensuing wrecked lives that their offspring will have as they are negelcted by thier ill equiped parents while photographers from people magazie follow them around from the time they are just days old until the next train wreck comes along.

Hilarious.

Don't often agree with you, but in this case you are spot on.

tombrady
12-19-2007, 02:38 PM
the misfortune of others.

how is getting yourself knocked up at 16 misfortune? Last I checked, it took some very deliberate actions.

if anything, her kid has the best shot at an awesome life of any kid born next year in the US to a 17 year old, given that her family is crazy wealthy. thats some fortune right there.

get off your high horse. its funny.

Lavabe
12-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Glad my daughter doesn't watch Ms. Spears' Nickelodeon show.

Lavabe

Cavlaw
12-19-2007, 02:43 PM
I wish I could say I was suprised by the viewpoint of certain posters in this thread.

hc5duke
12-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Age of consent

depends on the state (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America#United_States)

duke74
12-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Glad my daughter doesn't watch Ms. Spears' Nickelodeon show.

Lavabe

Why? Would she get pregnant through the airwaves?

The show happens to be a nice, cute teenager show about kids in a prep school. No violence, sex, etc.

Per the papers today, she realizes it was a mistake, has indicated as such to her young fans, and has taken responsibility for her actions. There are a many examples of actors on TV committing far worse acts.

Don't get me wrong here, please. I am not making light of her personal situation. Pregnancy of a 16 year old is not a happy thing, but folks are piling on based on the lives of her mom and sister...

JasonEvans
12-19-2007, 03:02 PM
If she has any questions about parenting, she has a great resource in her sister. Just ask Brit what she would do and then do the exact opposite.

I think it would be freaking hysterical if Brit got her a car seat as a baby shower present.

As an aside, my sons stumbled across her TV show a few days ago and my 10-year-old said, 'this show is dumb,. but that Zoey girl is hot."
--Jason "My son is not the babydaddy!!" Evans

MrBisonDevil
12-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Hmmm... I'm going to watch how this plays out in the media. I wonder if she will make her pregnancy a media event. She may be able to turn her pregnancy into some kind of "reality check" tv show, blog or special. I think many parents are in the dark about what teens are doing behind closed doors.

Earlier this year another teen fan favorite Vanessa Hudgens from High School Musical (Disney) was blasted for her nudie internet pixs. So far, it didn’t seem to hurt her career. Now Zoey 101 (Nickelodeon) is pregnant. I wonder what will happen to her career…

allenmurray
12-19-2007, 03:29 PM
how is getting yourself knocked up at 16 misfortune? Last I checked, it took some very deliberate actions.

if anything, her kid has the best shot at an awesome life of any kid born next year in the US to a 17 year old, given that her family is crazy wealthy. thats some fortune right there.

get off your high horse. its funny.

I think misfortune is just the right word for both her mother and her child-to-be. As for the Spears girl, a fair substitute for misfortune might be poor choices. So you find the tragic poor choices of others to be funny? I guess humor is a personal taste. The unintended pregnancy of a 16 year old, who will now live under an incredible media glare, as will her yet-to-be-born child just doesn't fill me with laughs. Given the incredible custody fights, media photos, and neglect that her sisters' children have been subject to I think being born in these curcumstnaces will probably be a hard life. Money doesn't make it a whole lot better. If seeing this situation as more tragic than funny means I am on a "high horse", so be it.

colchar
12-19-2007, 03:43 PM
I think misfortune is just the right word for both her mother and her child-to-be. As for the Spears girl, a fair substitute for misfortune might be poor choices. So you find the tragic poor choices of others to be funny? I guess humor is a personal taste. The unintended pregnancy of a 16 year old, who will now live under an incredible media glare, as will her yet-to-be-born child just doesn't fill me with laughs. Given the incredible custody fights, media photos, and neglect that her sisters' children have been subject to I think being born in these curcumstnaces will probably be a hard life. Money doesn't make it a whole lot better. If seeing this situation as more tragic than funny means I am on a "high horse", so be it.

The Spears sister have brought all of this on themselves.

allenmurray
12-19-2007, 03:48 PM

I agree. I think that still doesn't make it funny.

Shammrog
12-19-2007, 03:50 PM

Not to mention the mom - she was the one having her 16 year-old daughter's 19 year-old boyfriend live in the house! Now, she is "shocked." What a DUMBblahblah!

I can't wait for publication of her parenting book, though. :D

colchar
12-19-2007, 04:05 PM

To me, the fact that all of their misfortunes are self-inflicted leaves the Spears sisters open to ridicule.

This whole situation brings to mind Jeff Foxworthy's assertion that, even with all the money in the world, a white-trash redneck is still a white-trash redneck.

colchar
12-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Not to mention the mom - she was the one having her 16 year-old daughter's 19 year-old boyfriend live in the house! Now, she is "shocked." What a DUMBblahblah!

I can't wait for publication of her parenting book, though. :D

Who the hell gave her that book deal in the first place?!?

uncwdevil
12-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Who the hell gave her that book deal in the first place?!?

for real, it's not like her parenting resume was spotless up until this unfortunate event

YmoBeThere
12-19-2007, 08:05 PM

And you are entitled to your opinion. I agaree with the person who suggested it was like the Darwin awards. Many things in life are easily avoided, including pregnancy at the age of 16. Yet people still seem to go down these paths and some (probably not many) are applauding that she is taking responsibility for her actions. When it was her very actions that got her here. That for me is the laughable part.

Mal
12-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Whatever. I guess I just can't get myself to belly laugh at all this. It's more pathetic than hilarious to me. I understand the humor, as it is, in the juxtaposition of the mother's public persona with the reality of her daughters' lives, I guess. The fact that it's the kid sister of someone whose sad life has been endlessly covered by the tabloids just doesn't add much funny for me.

Mostly I think I reacted negatively to the original post, which was (I presume) an adult laughing as hard as they could at a 16-year-old who made a terrible decision. No reference to the mother, or the sister, just cackling at a kid. Make a clever joke about it, at least. The tone was that her predicament, self-inflicted though it may be, brought personal satisfaction through a feeling of superiority. Just seemed mean-spirited.

allenmurray
12-20-2007, 08:45 AM
It's more pathetic than hilarious to me.

an adult laughing as hard as they could at a 16-year-old who made a terrible decision . . . The tone was that her predicament . . . brought personal satisfaction . . . Just seemed mean-spirited.

exactly. However, being mean-spirited seems to be the raison d'ętre for some posters here.

ivduke
12-20-2007, 09:39 AM
It's tough to feel sorry for someone who has already agreed with OK magazine to sell the first baby pictures fo $1 million.......

tombrady
12-20-2007, 10:49 AM
exactly. However, being mean-spirited seems to be the raison d'ętre for some posters here.

and being really uptight about everything must make life really pathetic for some posters around here.

allenmurray
12-20-2007, 10:55 AM
and being really uptight about everything must make life really pathetic for some posters around here.

Choosing to refrain from finding humor in a 16 year old's unplanned pregnancy, and especially in the effects it will have on the yet-to-be-born child = uptight. Fine, I'll wear the label with pride. Merry Christmas

tombrady
12-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Choosing to refrain from finding humor in a 16 year old's unplanned pregnancy, and especially in the effects it will have on the yet-to-be-born child = uptight. Fine, I'll wear the label with pride. Merry Christmas

happy kwanzaa.

ugadevil
12-20-2007, 04:29 PM
I can't wait to buy the Billy Ray Cyrus parenting book. Looks like Hannah Montana is the true star.

calltheobvious
12-20-2007, 05:02 PM
When I first read this news(in this thread), I indulged in a heaping portion of schadenfreude as did, it seems, several posters here. But as I was scrolling down and saw AllenMurray's name at the top of a post, I thought, "I know exactly what he wrote here before even reading it. And he's dead right."

I may be way off-base here, but my guess is that there are more people like me on this point than are willing to admit it. I know TomBrady and Allen have had plenty of back-and-forth on this board, and neither seems naturally pre-disposed to agree with the other on much of anything. But I think pride may be getting in the way here for Tom and some others when it comes to assessing this situation.

Nobody's arguing that the Spears girls haven't made their own beds here. But come on, guys, there's a human live involved, one that's going to start out with two strikes through no fault or choice of its own. I would hope that this would offend anyone's sense of justice. I don't believe that even the boot-strapping TomBrady, et al, really find much humor in this part of the situation. But I also believe that some out there would rather walk on their own lips than concede a point.

If I'm wrong, Tom, I certainly apologize. But Allen's shown himself to be a pretty gracious fellow around here, and I can virtually guarantee you that if you relented on this point, there would be no snark in his response. So, in the spirit of the holiday season and my belief in the goodness of people, could some of you maybe come over to my camp and say that it struck you as funny--and that this doesn't make you a horrible person, or Allen a superior person to you--but that upon further consideration, it's too tragic to laugh about?

tombrady
12-20-2007, 05:12 PM
But come on, guys, there's a human live involved, one that's going to start out with two strikes through no fault or choice of its own.

it's too tragic to laugh about?

I hear where you are coming from, obviously.

But 2 strikes against it? Come on, the mom just signed a deal for 1 MILLION dollars for a few pictures. That baby is going to start life with more money than most people earn in their entire lives. I'd say its got about a hundred "anti-strikes" going for it in terms of the ability to have a quite enjoyable life.

Soldiers (and innocent iraqi civilians) dying in Iraq is tragic. A millionaire having a kid is not tragic.

calltheobvious
12-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Would you be willing to estimate the child's chances at anything remotely resembling life-long emotional stability?

I'd rather be poor and be able to keep it together than rich and totally effed up like it appears Mom and Auntie are.

You are obviously free not to share my preferences.

calltheobvious
12-20-2007, 05:30 PM
Awfully presumptuous of me to write "I'd rather be poor than...", since I'm not and never have been. I should have written that good mental health is worth a great deal to me, and I suspect to others as well.

Shammrog
12-20-2007, 06:15 PM
When I first read this news(in this thread), I indulged in a heaping portion of schadenfreude as did, it seems, several posters here. But as I was scrolling down and saw AllenMurray's name at the top of a post, I thought, "I know exactly what he wrote here before even reading it. And he's dead right."

I may be way off-base here, but my guess is that there are more people like me on this point than are willing to admit it. I know TomBrady and Allen have had plenty of back-and-forth on this board, and neither seems naturally pre-disposed to agree with the other on much of anything. But I think pride may be getting in the way here for Tom and some others when it comes to assessing this situation.

Nobody's arguing that the Spears girls haven't made their own beds here. But come on, guys, there's a human live involved, one that's going to start out with two strikes through no fault or choice of its own. I would hope that this would offend anyone's sense of justice. I don't believe that even the boot-strapping TomBrady, et al, really find much humor in this part of the situation. But I also believe that some out there would rather walk on their own lips than concede a point.

If I'm wrong, Tom, I certainly apologize. But Allen's shown himself to be a pretty gracious fellow around here, and I can virtually guarantee you that if you relented on this point, there would be no snark in his response. So, in the spirit of the holiday season and my belief in the goodness of people, could some of you maybe come over to my camp and say that it struck you as funny--and that this doesn't make you a horrible person, or Allen a superior person to you--but that upon further consideration, it's too tragic to laugh about?

I agree insofar as I do feel sorry for the kid. That part of it is not funny.

The humor came from the tragicomic reality that is Lynne, Britney, and Jamie Lynn Spears - all adults (or close enough) to keep making their own stupid decisions (for us to laugh at.)

YmoBeThere
12-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Would you be willing to estimate the child's chances at anything remotely resembling life-long emotional stability?

You are obviously free not to share my preferences.

Should we go back to the example of Iraqi children? Again, the issues here are internal, not external. Externalities tend to be out of our control = tragic. Internalities can be out of our control but in this case were self-induced. You may not find it humorous, but I would hazard that there are more than a few who find aspects of this humorous.

calltheobvious
12-20-2007, 11:26 PM
Should we go back to the example of Iraqi children? Again, the issues here are internal, not external. Externalities tend to be out of our control = tragic. Internalities can be out of our control but in this case were self-induced. You may not find it humorous, but I would hazard that there are more than a few who find aspects of this humorous.

Nice moving-the-goalposts-strawman-begging-the-question cocktail.

A) I reject your implied (and novel) standard of what can reasonably be called 'a tragedy.' I won't apologize for finding tragic elements in stories of pregnancies involving one or more terribly ill-equipped parents.

B) For the enteenth time in this thread, nobody's arguing that Jamie Lynn didn't make any bad choices here. What's being argued is that the most important and vulnerable character in this story hasn't made any choices in life, bad or otherwise; and given that matter of fact, in the interest of good taste, any delight taken in the bad choices of the mother and aunt should be muted.

C) I am well aware that there are more than a few who find aspects of this humorous. Again, no one's arguing otherwise. The question I continue to ask is how you can continue to find humor in a story with such a serious and sad outcome?

YmoBeThere
12-20-2007, 11:37 PM
B) What's being argued is that the most important and vulnerable character in this story hasn't made any choices in life, bad or otherwise; and given that matter of fact, in the interest of good taste, any delight taken in the bad choices of the mother and aunt should be muted.

This is what you are arguing. I don't think any one here is intending to make fun of an unborn child...

If people are worried about what they consider good taste then they can avoid this thread.

YmoBeThere
12-20-2007, 11:39 PM
A) I reject your implied (and novel) standard of what can reasonably be called 'a tragedy.' I won't apologize for finding tragic elements in stories of pregnancies involving one or more terribly ill-equipped parents.

Which really doesn't mean much of anything. Not asking you to apologize, just don't read and don't post if you find it distasteful. As adults, we can for the most part moderate ourselves.

tombrady
12-21-2007, 08:28 AM
how you can continue to find humor in a story with such a serious and sad outcome?

December 21st, 2023. Come back to this thread -- all this talk of tragedy etc. Then check in on how the life of Baby Spears is going. I'm sure its going to be pretty darn good.

Thats the point. Its okay to laugh when, in all reality, things have a 99% chance of turning out a-okay.

btw -- if you think births to "ill-prepared" parents are tragic, then you must think that at least half the births in this country are tragic. Lots of tragedy everywhere. Oh the tragedy!

allenmurray
12-21-2007, 08:54 AM
happy kwanzaa.

Thank you - despite my disagreement with you on this topic, I do wish you, and everyone, a Merry Christmas. My wish is sincere.

I've posted enough on these boards that it is fairly evedient that I am Christian (thus Christmas is the holiday I celebrate at this time of year) and that I am not African-American. However, I still appreciate your wishes for a happy Kwaanza - there is much within the values of that holiday to celebrate, and I'll I'll do my best to have a happy Kwaanza. It was nice of you to remember me during this celebration.

Habari Gani.

allenmurray
12-21-2007, 09:00 AM

Thanks for your kind words.

I actually do see the humor in the situation - not belly laugh "ha ha" humor, but I do understand the irony involved. However, when faced with the choice of making fun of someone or not making fun of someone, particularly when there are the lives of young children involed, I find the better course to be to refrain from making fun. You know, the whole Abaham Lincoln, better angels of our nature thing. It isn't that I can't understand irony, or easily fall into schadenfreude, it is just that I think it is sometimes best to refrain. I think this topic has lived well beyond its usefulness.

Have a great holiday.

EarlJam
12-21-2007, 10:53 AM

Maybe if they named the baby, Asparagus, it would be somewhat funny?

-EarlJam

EarlJam
12-21-2007, 10:58 AM
And you are entitled to your opinion. I agaree with the person who suggested it was like the Darwin awards. Many things in life are easily avoided, including pregnancy at the age of 16. Yet people still seem to go down these paths and some (probably not many) are applauding that she is taking responsibility for her actions. When it was her very actions that got her here. That for me is the laughable part.

I guess, for me, EarlJam, what takes the humor out of it is the fact that at the center of it all is a human being that will be brought into this mess.

Yes, you can laugh at Britany. You can laugh at her sister and even her mom. Bad choices, all of them. But the baby to be. Innocent as can be. That's the tragic part of it.

I've always said I'm fine with ridicule and such and can live with consequences of my OWN actions, but to FUBAR the life of a child, well, that's something completely different.

So in short, what makes this not so humorous is the fact that at the center of it all is a child to be that has no say in the matter.

That said, I'm sure the child will be just fine (monetarily speaking anyway).

-EarlJam

P.S. Still, it would be a bit funny if they named the child Asparagus....or Pickle.

allenmurray
12-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Maybe if they named the baby, Asparagus, it would be somewhat funny?

-EarlJam

When asparagus gets too big it is stringy and loses its flavor. But I love baby asparagus. And I love EarlJam. Merry Christmas to EarlJam, who is always funny without being mean spirited.

EarlJam
12-21-2007, 11:09 AM
December 21st, 2023. Come back to this thread -- all this talk of tragedy etc. Then check in on how the life of Baby Spears is going. I'm sure its going to be pretty darn good.

Thats the point. Its okay to laugh when, in all reality, things have a 99% chance of turning out a-okay.

btw -- if you think births to "ill-prepared" parents are tragic, then you must think that at least half the births in this country are tragic. Lots of tragedy everywhere. Oh the tragedy!

Come on TOM BRADY!!!! Talk about not getting your facts straight!

December 21, 2023? You know good and darn well that the scenario you paint is absolutely impossible. NICE TRY!

For we will all have been dead for more than a decade on this date. Remember? Oh, sure you don't. Well let me "toggle" your memory:

The Earth is coming to an end in 2012. It's over. Done. Kaput.

http://www.msghelp.net/showthread.php?tid=74463

Don't believe me, EarlJam? Well then maybe you'll listen to MEL GIBSON!...

http://armageddoncocktailhour.wordpress.com/2006/09/27/mel-gibson-predicts-world-will-end-in-2012/

2023. Get outta here!

-EarlJam

DUKIECB
12-21-2007, 12:43 PM
P.S. Still, it would be a bit funny if they named the child Asparagus....or Pickle.

How about Beet?

DUKIECB
12-21-2007, 12:56 PM
How about Beet?

Or Cornmuffin? I don't know, too generic?

Cavlaw
12-21-2007, 12:59 PM
I don't think "Beet Spears" or "Cornmuffin Spears" has quite the same gravitas as Asparagus Spears.

Sorry EarlJam, I know to explain a joke is to ruin it...

DevilAlumna
12-21-2007, 01:34 PM
I think the Spears girl should pull a reverse Madonna/Angelina, and put the baby up for adoption to some 2nd-world country family. The kid would probably have more of a chance for a decent childhood.

As for names, go with "Dill" -- it's literary! (Good vibes to those who get the reference.)

YmoBeThere
12-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Given that Bush Sr. didn't like it, why not Broccoli? Or as the creator of James Bond was named...Broccoli!

colchar
12-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Or as the creator of James Bond was named...Broccoli!

Pardon? One of the producers of the movies was named Broccoli but the creator of James Bond was the Scottish author, Ian Fleming.

YmoBeThere
12-21-2007, 05:13 PM
You are right, the movies were the work of Albert R Broccoli. My grandmother would take offense at my having slighted a Scot.

colchar
12-21-2007, 05:51 PM
You are right, the movies were the work of Albert R Broccoli. My grandmother would take offense at my having slighted a Scot.

As a Scot, so did I.

ArkieDukie
12-22-2007, 05:59 AM
I don't think "Beet Spears" or "Cornmuffin Spears" has quite the same gravitas as Asparagus Spears.

Sorry EarlJam, I know to explain a joke is to ruin it...

Sadly, I didn't get the joke until you explained it. I then laughed until I cried. It gave me a whole new appreciation for both of EarlJam's suggestions. C'mon, "Pickle Spears" and "Asparagus Spears"? I don't care who you are; that's funny. How about Britney and Jamie Lynn changing their names to Pickle and Asparagus? As of yet, Jamie Lynn's baby hasn't done anything to earn such a handle, whereas Britney and Jamie Lynn have.