PDA

View Full Version : Duke women's hoops notes

jimsumner
12-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Duke over Utah Valley tonight 95-61. No real surprise. This is only their 4th year in D-1.

Wanisha Smith started. Clearly some rust. She was 1-9 from the field. But she did have 5 assists. Good to see her back.

UV's Robyn Fairbanks set a CIS women's record with 20 rebounds. She scored 17 points, shooting 8-23. She's listed as 6'1" but she's a widebody who works hard. She earned it.

Abby Waner had 10 steals. That's a Duke record and ties the ACC record held by a bunch of folks. She scored 19 points (4-7 on 3s), and added 7 assists. Looks like she's all the way back from her injury.

Utah Valley tried to run with Duke. Big mistake. They've got some shooters but were badly outmatched in size, athleticism, and ball skills. The Wolverines had 39 turnovers! One player (Sandy Marvin) had 10, while the backup point guard (Asumi Nakayama) had 9. 15 assists and 39 turnovers is not an A/TO ratio you'll see all that often.

Duke had 24 steals, one shy of the school record.

Believe it or not but Duke didn't shoot especially well. 41.5%. Duke must have missed a dozen makeable layups, maybe more. Seemed to be hurrying a bit. Joy Cheek scored 15 points but shot 7-21. Chante was solid, 15 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 blocks, 5 steals. That's filling a stat sheet.

Careem Gay had a great game off the bench. 20 points, 10 rebounds, 3 steals. She made a serious dunk attempt on a breakaway late. Lost control of the ball but still made the two points. Says she'll keep trying. It was close folks.

Abby played lots of point in the second half and played it well. Unfortunately, she played a lot of point because Jasmine really struggled. 17 minutes, 0-5 from the field, 0 points, 1 assist, 3 turnovers. McCallie said after the game that JT just wasn't mentally ready for the game's intensity.

Solid games from everybody else. Christmas struggled early but scored all eight of her points after intermission. She loves to run. If she can just figure out how to play in the half-court.

Krystal Thomas on track for an early January return.

Decent crowd under the circumstances. Listed as 4985 but there weren't that many people there. Small alumni band did their best.

Bucknell Friday night, then four days off before hitting the road after Christmas.

DukeUsul
12-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Jim - thanks for the kind words. It's tough to get folks out to play in the band over the break for women's games. I'm a bit worried about how many we'll have on Friday....

The women looked good overall, even though they got a bit ahead of themselves a few times (some errant passes, rushing the break, etc.) I was most impressed with Abby's hands. I've never seen someone just spend the whole game parked in the passing lanes. She was like an octopus out there. Oh yeah and she also scored a ton. :)

Bluedawg
12-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Duke over Utah Valley tonight 95-61. No real surprise. This is only their 4th year in D-1.

Wanisha Smith started. Clearly some rust. She was 1-9 from the field. But she did have 5 assists. Good to see her back.

UV's Robyn Fairbanks set a CIS women's record with 20 rebounds. She scored 17 points, shooting 8-23. She's listed as 6'1" but she's a widebody who works hard. She earned it.

Abby Waner had 10 steals. That's a Duke record and ties the ACC record held by a bunch of folks. She scored 19 points (4-7 on 3s), and added 7 assists. Looks like she's all the way back from her injury.

Utah Valley tried to run with Duke. Big mistake. They've got some shooters but were badly outmatched in size, athleticism, and ball skills. The Wolverines had 39 turnovers! One player (Sandy Marvin) had 10, while the backup point guard (Asumi Nakayama) had 9. 15 assists and 39 turnovers is not an A/TO ratio you'll see all that often.

Duke had 24 steals, one shy of the school record.

Believe it or not but Duke didn't shoot especially well. 41.5%. Duke must have missed a dozen makeable layups, maybe more. Seemed to be hurrying a bit. Joy Cheek scored 15 points but shot 7-21. Chante was solid, 15 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 blocks, 5 steals. That's filling a stat sheet.

Careem Gay had a great game off the bench. 20 points, 10 rebounds, 3 steals. She made a serious dunk attempt on a breakaway late. Lost control of the ball but still made the two points. Says she'll keep trying. It was close folks.

Abby played lots of point in the second half and played it well. Unfortunately, she played a lot of point because Jasmine really struggled. 17 minutes, 0-5 from the field, 0 points, 1 assist, 3 turnovers. McCallie said after the game that JT just wasn't mentally ready for the game's intensity.

Solid games from everybody else. Christmas struggled early but scored all eight of her points after intermission. She loves to run. If she can just figure out how to play in the half-court.

Krystal Thomas on track for an early January return.

Decent crowd under the circumstances. Listed as 4985 but there weren't that many people there. Small alumni band did their best.

Bucknell Friday night, then four days off before hitting the road after Christmas.

I thought it looked like Careem laid the back of her hand on the rim at one point. Any truth to the rumor that Krystal dunks in practice?

Any idea why Emily has not played much?

Bluedawg
12-19-2007, 08:18 AM
Jim - thanks for the kind words. It's tough to get folks out to play in the band over the break for women's games. I'm a bit worried about how many we'll have on Friday....

The women looked good overall, even though they got a bit ahead of themselves a few times (some errant passes, rushing the break, etc.) I was most impressed with Abby's hands. I've never seen someone just spend the whole game parked in the passing lanes. She was like an octopus out there. Oh yeah and she also scored a ton. :)

Possible Player of the year here?

jimsumner
12-19-2007, 09:51 AM
"Any idea why Emily has not played much?"

Coach's decision. Not big enough, not quick enough.

Careem looked like she had the elevation for the dunk but her hands may not be large enough to control the ball.

Pavy
12-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Krystal Thomas has dunked in practice. And yes, Carrem's hands are too small.

I thought the team showed a measure of improvement in the offensive flow. Our defense was obviously stifling, although there was a series of lapses in the second half with UVU running the floor to convert fast breaks. That's been happening lately, great defense interrupted by these brief lapses and uncontensted layups. Overall though, Duke has continuted the trend of swarming defense for their opponents.

Still, it's pretty clear the point guard situation (and the substitutions) is not resolved. We had Thomas start the game as point guard, than sit out the first half mostly on the bench. Mitch, Waner and Smith all played point in the game as well. I rather wish we could see Emily Waner more, as she still leads the team in assists despite limited playing time. Unfortunately, the team has more turnovers than assists on the season. It's difficult to gauge exactly how much the team has improved, since UVA was the kind of team to exploit your quickness against, get steals and run down the floor. Basically, it's hard to assess the half court offense when you're converting fastbreak opportunities. Though forcing 39 turnovers, even against a slow team, is incredible.

Abby Waner caught on fire in the second half, with one incredible three that might have been close to where the coaches were sitting. Carrem Gay had a great game, making jumpers from the high post and putbacks around the basket. Wanisha.... well, she's getting there. ;)

It's going to be interesting next January when Candace Parker comes into town. Anyone else going to that game?

ohioguy2
12-19-2007, 07:11 PM
I will be in town for the Vol's game. Three friends and I are driving in from Ohio --staying for 7 or 8 days--trying to see five games.:)