PDA

View Full Version : Haircuts

Oh Canada
12-18-2007, 07:50 AM
Just a quick question after watching the game last night. Many of the players for Albany were sporting the "shaggy" hairstyle. I then noticed that none of the Dukies have this. Many have the tight cut without bangs. I know that Singler had longer hair in high school and Laettner got the look once he left Duke.

Is this a Coach K thing? Does he prefer shorter hair so sweaty bangs etc. arent' getting in the way?

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Just a quick question after watching the game last night. Many of the players for Albany were sporting the "shaggy" hairstyle. I then noticed that none of the Dukies have this. Many have the tight cut without bangs. I know that Singler had longer hair in high school and Laettner got the look once he left Duke.

Is this a Coach K thing? Does he prefer shorter hair so sweaty bangs etc. arent' getting in the way?

I think the answer to your question is yes. Check out how Josh McRoberts looks now that he's left the program.

The same thing might be said of the rare appearance of tattoos. To see what can happen when players leave Duke, look at Cherokee Parks.

Bluedog
12-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Also see Lance Thomas' hair before coming to Duke. Coach K definitely would not allow him to keep it that way.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=1113084

jimsumner
12-18-2007, 09:31 AM
RE: haircuts. It might be useful to keep in mind that Mike Krzyzewski is a proud graduate of the United States Military Academy.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-18-2007, 09:49 AM
RE: haircuts. It might be useful to keep in mind that Mike Krzyzewski is a proud graduate of the United States Military Academy.

I, for one, appreciate the high standards set for our student athletes.... high standards in a number of areas ranging from appearance to academics.

dukepsy1963
12-18-2007, 10:09 AM
I think the short haircuts go beyond mere preference for the short look on the part of K. In the military we all had short cuts too. It's a kind of "equalizer." Nobody is better or worse than anyone else. You work as a "team." And therein lies the real reason why short is "in," I think. Same with body decorations (unless of course, you had them before you joined the team).

K stresses "team" all the time and I think it is one of the reasons he runs a "tight ship" and might request the guys to keep their hair short.
But.......

Grow your hair down to your toes and paint yourself silly when you leave, but not on my team, etc. We will work as "one" on my team, etc......:). And that goes for the way we look, speak, and carry ourselves.

More power to him I say.

Devilsfan
12-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Welcome to Camp Duke, where boys come in and leave as men. In this age of liberal academia we are honored to have a role model like you!

gep
12-18-2007, 11:33 PM
Check out how Josh McRoberts looks now that he's left the program.

The same thing might be said of the rare appearance of tattoos.

Josh... not only how he looks like now after he left... but, he also had longer hair BEFORE he came to Duke. I remember the McDonald's dunk contest... his hair was flopping every which way. And, when he came to Duke, I actually didn't recognize him for awhile... he was essentially shaved.

And, I remember a story where Jason Williams, I think, actually asked Coach K if he could get a tattoo while at Duke.

I like the "clean" look, uniform look, and respectable look (I'm obviously an old-school guy).:cool:

Also, the comment posted above about being an "equalizer". To me, this is like the "uniform" at many private schools. There's no way to "show" yourself... everyone looks the same.

Oriole Way
12-18-2007, 11:51 PM
I've noticed Mike Dunleavy has also grown his hair out alot more since leaving Duke.

Kyle Singler definitely rocked some super shaggy hair before he got to Duke. I was hoping he would keep it, but as many have pointed out, apparently K has a code for appearance.

Bob Green
12-19-2007, 01:42 AM
I agree with many of the comments posted in this thread but would add that the short hair standard is an expression of discipline. In other words, at Duke, we are focused on displaying basketball skills and not on making a fashion statement.

mgtr
12-19-2007, 02:05 AM
It is not just a military thing. I preached to my business students for years that it is important to stand out for what you do, not for the way you look. In my opinion, an Adam Morrision would have been more of a standout if he didn't have the long floppy hair and the pitiful mustache.

Duvall
12-19-2007, 02:14 AM
In other words, at Duke, we are focused on displaying basketball skills and not on making a fashion statement.

But it is a fashion statement. Anti-fashion is still a fashion.

Duvall
12-19-2007, 02:15 AM
I preached to my business students for years that it is important to stand out for what you do, not for the way you look. In my opinion, an Adam Morrision would have been more of a standout if he didn't have the long floppy hair and the pitiful mustache.

I don't understand. So you're saying the way you look does matter, or doesn't matter?

mgtr
12-19-2007, 02:17 AM
I don't understand. So you're saying the way you look does matter, or doesn't matter?

It depends on the scene. In the corporate world, it matters a lot. In the artistic world, it matters not. Pick your world.

Bob Green
12-19-2007, 06:07 AM
In other words, at Duke, we are focused on displaying basketball skills and not on making a fashion statement.

But it is a fashion statement. Anti-fashion is still a fashion.

Perhaps I could have expressed my opinion clearer. The willingness to adhere to a dress code that is not aligned with current social norms demonstrates an individuals commitment to discipline. Succeeding in sports, just like succeeding in life, is a complex endeavor, and a disciplined individual has a leg up on the competition.

jjasper0729
12-19-2007, 08:45 AM
It's not just Coach K. I remember a quote by John Cheney some time ago about his early morning practice schedule and the players on his Temple teams all being clean shaven and having short hair. He also said that if he could figure out a way to get the tattoos removed, he'd do that too.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-19-2007, 11:03 AM
I got a haircut today. I want to look sharp in case K sees me tomorrow night in the Garden! :D

blazindw
12-19-2007, 11:06 AM
I got a haircut today. I want to look sharp in case K sees me tomorrow night in the Garden! :D

I got a haircut too Ozzie! Well, I did it for an interview as well, but also just in case Coach K needs my skills on the court tomorrow night!

Classof06
12-19-2007, 12:11 PM
Yeah, it's definitely because of Coach K. I don't think it's the same with tattoos, especially if you have them before you come to Duke like Nolan Smith. But McRoberts, Lance and Singler are recent examples of kids having to get haircuts before their freshmen seasons. It's kinda like how Steinbrenner doesn't really allow Yankees players to have long hair or facial hair. I think Krzyzewski's military background probably has a good deal to do with this.

I don't really think it's to make a statement like "we're a team" or "we're one, nobody stands out". I think Krzyzyewski just wants his players to look respectable; coming up with any other reason would be looking too deep into it.

Indoor66
12-19-2007, 12:25 PM
Yeah, it's definitely because of Coach K. I don't think it's the same with tattoos, especially if you have them before you come to Duke like Nolan Smith. But McRoberts, Lance and Singler are recent examples of kids having to get haircuts before their freshmen seasons. It's kinda like how Steinbrenner doesn't really allow Yankees players to have long hair or facial hair. I think Krzyzewski's military background probably has a good deal to do with this.

I don't really think it's to make a statement like "we're a team" or "we're one, nobody stands out". I think Krzyzyewski just wants his players to look respectable; coming up with any other reason would be looking too deep into it.

I agree it is an appearance thing, but I do think there is more to it than just that. K emphasizes the name on the front of the uni rather than the name on the back. Part of that point is made with (relatively) short hair. No one stand out from the rest. Same thinking in military when all heads are buzz cut at basic. Break the individualism to rebuild in a team-molded basis for their individualism. It seems to work for Duke.

captmojo
12-19-2007, 05:35 PM
All that hair insulates the top of the head and holds sweat.

I got a haircut too. This one.

mapei
12-19-2007, 05:42 PM
I think it's totally ridiculous to dictate haircuts for basketball players. Yeah, you should look decent as an ambassador for the school, but it needn't be so strict. Even K's own hair isn't that short.

And if you think super-short hair is the norm in the corporate world, you haven't been paying attention for a long, long time, and you certainly haven't heard of Nike or Google. Or Donald Trump, for that matter, though dog knows you don't want to look like him if you can help it.

Mal
12-19-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm with mapei here. Duke isn't a military academy.

I don't believe the extreme shortness of some of these awful haircuts are mandated by Coach K, though. Unless he's changed his position from prior years. If I'm not mistaken, Redick varied his locks a lot over the course of his career. In addition, it's a well known fact that Laettner's floppy bangs made all the girls swoon, which is part of the reason why everyone not associated with Duke hated him so. Also, Grant's ridiculous eraser cut c. 1991 was not exactly straight out of the U.S. Army guide to haircuts.

All of which makes it more disappointing to me that Scheyer and Singler, who seem like bright fellows who would be somewhat fashion-savvy, made a conscious choice to have their hair shaved down to the point of our being able to see their skulls. :)

Indoor66
12-19-2007, 06:41 PM
I'm with mapei here. Duke isn't a military academy.

I don't believe the extreme shortness of some of these awful haircuts are mandated by Coach K, though. Unless he's changed his position from prior years. If I'm not mistaken, Redick varied his locks a lot over the course of his career. In addition, it's a well known fact that Laettner's floppy bangs made all the girls swoon, which is part of the reason why everyone not associated with Duke hated him so. Also, Grant's ridiculous eraser cut c. 1991 was not exactly straight out of the U.S. Army guide to haircuts.

All of which makes it more disappointing to me that Scheyer and Singler, who seem like bright fellows who would be somewhat fashion-savvy, made a conscious choice to have their hair shaved down to the point of our being able to see their skulls. :)

It is definitely easier to care for the short cut hair. There is a time benefit in being able to style your hair with a towel.

gep
12-19-2007, 07:50 PM
After reading recent posts here... I started wondering if it's the team itself that "dictates" the haircut... kinda like a fraternity...

Also, if I remember correctly, JJ started with short hair, buzzed it once for a few games, then went back to his short hair. I also remember that when he buzzed it, he didn't shoot that well... I joked that without *any* hair, he "lost his balance":)

Bob Green
12-19-2007, 08:43 PM
It is definitely easier to care for the short cut hair. There is a time benefit in being able to style your hair with a towel.

You also save the money other folks waste on shampoo and conditioner. A bar of Irish Spring works great. In other words, more beer for Bob!

merry
12-19-2007, 09:52 PM
I don't know much about convenience, comfort or discipline when it comes to male hairstyles, but Singler would look a lot nicer with just a little more hair.

Also for some reason this whole discussion reminds me of Greg Newton.

mapei
12-19-2007, 10:41 PM
L O L !

bludev03
12-20-2007, 12:34 PM
I think it's interesting how some women's bball coaches and men's bball coaches differ on this subject. Pat Summitt wrote in her book that she detest tattoos. She believes they are trendy and tacky. All Lady Vols must cover them in her presence (even practices, private meetings, etc).
Geno is the ultimate stickler. Here are some of his rules:
a) No visable tattoos (remember Kennitra Johnson's famous bandaid?)
b) No headbands, wristbands, sleeves, etc.
c) All must wear white, short, ankle socks.
d) Shoes must be white, w/ navy secondary.
e) You can only wear clear fingernail polish. Shea Ralph was the fingernail polish queen, and got Geno to agree to paint his blue if they won the NC
f) No jeans when travelling. CD believed this was important so they wouldnt appear too "masculine"
g) They are never allowed to have walkmans (i guess it's IPods now) in public (airports, after games, etc).
j) All hair accessories (ties, ribbons, scrunchies, etc) must be solid color.
k) CD even approves hair styles. It was reported that she had a spasm when Crystal Goring wore that bright red ponytail weave in the high school McD AA game.

It makes you wonder: Could a men's coach be this tight w/ the rules?! :confused:

Indoor66
12-20-2007, 12:37 PM
I think it's interesting how some women's bball coaches and men's bball coaches differ on this subject. Pat Summitt wrote in her book that she detest tattoos. She believes they are trendy and tacky. All Lady Vols must cover them in her presence (even practices, private meetings, etc).
e) You can only wear clear fingernail polish. Shea Ralph was the fingernail polish queen, and got Geno to agree to paint his blue if they won the NC
f) No jeans when travelling. CD believed this was important so they wouldnt appear too "masculine"
g) They are never allowed to have walkmans (i guess it's IPods now) in public (airports, after games, etc).
k) CD even approves hair styles. It was reported that she had a spasm when Crystal Goring wore that bright red ponytail weave in the high school McD AA game.

It makes you wonder: Could a men's coach be this tight w/ the rules?! :confused:

Why not? The coach runs the program.

bludev03
12-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Why not? The coach runs the program.

That is true. As one of my friends told me about the "Golden Rule" in life: He who has the "gold" makes the "rules".

bhd28
12-20-2007, 01:39 PM
I want to know if Coach K allows players to dye their hair.

Fish80
12-20-2007, 02:15 PM
I've heard that the upper class enforce the hair policy, along with many of the other K traditions.

Turtleboy
12-20-2007, 04:21 PM

It makes you wonder: Could a men's coach be this tight w/ the rules?! :confused:Who is CD?

bludev03
12-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Who is CD?

CD is Chris Daily, the associate head coach