PDA

View Full Version : Feinstein Article / McRoberts Question

Rich
03-11-2007, 10:33 AM
There was a suggestion in the Feinstein article linked on the front page to the fact that most of the team would not be all that unhappy if Josh McRoberts jumped to the NBA next year. Does anyone have any insights regarding the relationship between Josh and his teammates?

evrdukie
03-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Good question. I'm interested in that too. Feinstein makes his living knowing about this stuff and that statement didn't just turn up by accident.

bhd28
03-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Good question. I'm interested in that too. Feinstein makes his living knowing about this stuff and that statement didn't just turn up by accident.
Of course it didn't turn up by accident. It was meant to provoke. Last year reporters also said the same thing. They also said he didn't like Duke and that he had stopped going to classes. Truth is, no one knows if it is true... but I haven't seen any evidence that it is.

MChambers
03-11-2007, 11:25 AM
I never read last year that McRoberts didn't like Duke and stopped going to classes. I think if someone wrote that, it wasn't part of the mainstream media.
While I don't believe everything in the mainstream media (far from it), Feinstein is knowledgable, and darn well connected to Duke, so I assume there is at least some truth to what he wrote. Having said that, I think what he wrote is at least at little offensive.
Maybe teammates or coaches are fed up with McRoberts, but he shouldn't have to read it in the Washington Post. If teammates or coaches wanted it written, shame on them. If they didn't, shame on Feinstein.

evrdukie
03-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Well, I guess that's the question. One piece of evidence appears in Feinstein's article. He's a widely recognized sportswriter and not an enemy of Duke so far as I can tell. Maybe he has some reason to be provocative or has an ax to grind, but I'm not sure why that would be the case. Anyway, it would be interesting to find out if he's accurate or not.

Rich
03-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Paging Watzone, Paging Watzone

grossbus
03-11-2007, 11:45 AM
where IS watzone?

sundown
03-11-2007, 12:07 PM
There was a suggestion in the Feinstein article linked on the front page to the fact that most of the team would not be all that unhappy if Josh McRoberts jumped to the NBA next year. Does anyone have any insights regarding the relationship between Josh and his teammates?

I found this intriguing, also. If it is true, I imagine it has something to do with another thing Feinstein mentioned: McRoberts' penchant for screaming at his teammates after defensive breakdowns, even when those breakdowns are attributable to him. That kind of constant haranguing during already stressful situations can weigh on teammates, especially when it comes from someone who doesn't counterbalance it with calm, constructive leadership and encouragement.

watzone
03-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Quite simply, this needs to be addressed after the season. Until then, lets allow a bit of chemistry.

evrdukie
03-11-2007, 02:37 PM
On the other hand, since the team is likely to be playing in the NCAA tournament, now might be a good time to address it.

watzone
03-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Well, I defer to the Duke staff and what they see as proper reporting of a problem, if there is one. Too many rumors are being mixed with some truth. Until something is confirmed by higher sources, I still say let it rest.

While I have heard things, I have not bothered to confirm them during a busy time. This, IMO, can certainly be placed on hold until the season is over.

evrdukie
03-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Maybe you're right. If McRoberts goes, which seems fairly likely, I suppose it won't matter anyway.

husWagner1983
03-11-2007, 07:17 PM
I don't think Laettner would have won popularity contests from his teammates at all times. OTOH he appeared to absolutely love playing the game for Duke.

Imagine, if the rumour is true, having Laettner on the team. What a riot!