PDA

View Full Version : Laettner update -- with a twist

devildownunder
03-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Espn.com's Bomani Jones has written a column about the big guy's appearance at the ACC tournament this weekend. It might make you angry and proud all of the same time.

Check it out here (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jones/070311).

bhd28
03-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Espn.com's Bomani Jones has written a column about the big guy's appearance at the ACC tournament this weekend. It might make you angry and proud all of the same time.

Check it out here (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jones/070311).

Wow... talking about taking things a little far... "it was one of the most vile things ever done on a basketball court." Obviously he has never been to Rucker or watched much streetball... hasn't watched any of a number of fights in leagues from JR High to the NBA... and wasn't aware of anything regarding basketball integration and some of what went on there. Either that, or his writing talent equals his abilty for understatement.

jsimmons
03-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Damn I wish we had someone like that now! He is the greatest.

jsimmons
03-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Is it true that he once threatened cherokee parks in practice that," if he didnt start playing tougher he was going to kick his butt?" i heard that once but never read anything about it.

bigdog
03-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Christian will always be my favorite Duke player of all time. Two game winners in the elite 8, he outplayed Mourning, he outplayed Shaq, the list goes on and on...Those were great years. Also, college basketball was so much more entertaining back then because it was played at a totally different level. The game was dominated by Juniors and Seniors, not Freshman and Sophomores.

jsimmons
03-11-2007, 12:25 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Laettner

look at all the awards he got in college

jimsumner
03-11-2007, 01:01 PM
"Is it true that he once threatened cherokee parks in practice that," if he didnt start playing tougher he was going to kick his butt?" "

I think it's safe to say that Mr. Laettner was a foremost practicioner of the ancient art of tough love.

mph
03-11-2007, 01:12 PM
I thought the article was interesting and well written, but this line got my attention.

"That unforgivable moment cemented his status as the greatest villain in the game."

Unforgivable???

How high of a forgiveness threshold do you have to have to classify what Laettner did as unforgivable? I recently posted on another thread that I thought Laettner's act was impossible to defend, but to call it unforgivable does a disservice to the word.

There are families of murder victims who have found it in their heart to forgive their loved one's killer but Jones thinks what Laettner did is so egregious as to make it unforgivable. Wow. That's taking hyperbole to an unreasonable level.

3rd Dukie
03-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Christian will always be my favorite Duke player of all time. Two game winners in the elite 8, he outplayed Mourning, he outplayed Shaq, the list goes on and on...Those were great years. Also, college basketball was so much more entertaining back then because it was played at a totally different level. The game was dominated by Juniors and Seniors, not Freshman and Sophomores.

Dog, you nailed it. I could not agree more. Give him an hour with JMc and see what happens. Laettner was cold and totally focused. I have seen all of the greats since Heyman and Mullins (I missed Groat), and I firmly believe that he is the best of all time. Regarding Timberlake, Laettner would have punched him in the face if he had wanted to hurt him. The "foot tap" was intended to send a message and rattle the guy, IMHO.

jkidd31
03-11-2007, 02:51 PM
If it wasn't for the stomp no one would even remember Timberlake, it was about the only thing I remember him doing in his career at UK.

I've heard from friend of mine that Alaa Abdelnaby decked Laettner in practice either when CL was a freshman or sophomore. Seem like he learned from this.

As great as JJ and Shane were, and Battier along with Langdon are the only player who have come close as my all-time favs to CL, they could nit totally take a game over the way Christian could. The game at LSU in '92 after Hurley broke his foot comes to mind.

dukelifer
03-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Wow... talking about taking things a little far... "it was one of the most vile things ever done on a basketball court." Obviously he has never been to Rucker or watched much streetball... hasn't watched any of a number of fights in leagues from JR High to the NBA... and wasn't aware of anything regarding basketball integration and some of what went on there. Either that, or his writing talent equals his abilty for understatement.

Well you would have to put Kermit Washington's punch that almost killed Rudy Tomjanovich right up there. But that stomp was vicious- yes pretty vile. I mean- it is possible that Timberlake might have even felt it- it certainly got him giddy. It had to be much worse than having spinal fluid leak through your mouth.

The other line about Hurley and Grant not being privileged was interesting. Yes Bobby was blue collar- but Grant was certainly not going hungry at night. But how many people really remember the details anyway.