PDA

View Full Version : How is this Duke's fault?

Oh Canada
12-17-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm sorry if this has already been posted but I didn't see it on the front page of the main board.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/scorecard/daily_list/index.html

Here's the quote from the site regarding great rivalries.....

2. Duke/North Carolina: Tobacco Road not only connects the two schools, it serves as a conduit of hatred. However, ever since Dick Vitale and his Duke Blue Devils took over ESPN's programming, the rest of the country has been secretly pulling for the 'Heels.

So because the Blue Devils have the Crazies and the incredible job they do, the country is being pushed to root against them?

Anyone else see anything wrong with this misguided ignorance?

hc5duke
12-17-2007, 02:25 PM
2. Duke/North Carolina: Tobacco Road not only connects the two schools, it serves as a conduit of hatred. However, ever since Dick Vitale and his Duke Blue Devils took over ESPN's programming, the rest of the country has been secretly pulling for the 'Heels.

(emphasis mine) Well at least the ones pulling for UNC realize they're doing something wrong/evil/and possibly illegal...

OldPhiKap
12-17-2007, 02:25 PM
You even get sick of ice cream if you eat it every day.

I am glad that we get the exposure we do, and am glad that Dickie V likes our program. But everyone could take it down a notch and I'd be happier.

That's one of the reasons I am enjoying this season so much -- not many folks are talking about us. Yet.

[Rubbing hands to gether evily](Heh heh heh heh).[/Rubbing hands together evily]

jjasper0729
12-17-2007, 02:37 PM
[Rubbing hands to gether evily](Heh heh heh heh).[/Rubbing hands together evily]

EXXXXXXCELLENT Smithers.

DUKIECB
12-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Look, I know Dukie V didn't get that name for no reason. However, he touts the Holes just as much as Duke when he gets the chance. Just look at who he has predicted to win the NC the last several years. Dick Vitale takes a lot of crap, but sometimes it is just not deserved in my opinion.

Channing
12-17-2007, 02:52 PM
exactly - Dickie V is a front runner. Nothing wrong with that, especially as a color commentary guy - it just so happens that from hte late 90s 2 years ago Duke was absurdly dominant.

jimsumner
12-17-2007, 03:04 PM
"Dickie V is a front runner."

Bingo. If I had a dollar for every time Vitale has referred to Dean Smith as Michaelangelo, I could retire on Figure Eight Island.

MulletMan
12-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Not to be a jerk, but who the h**l cares what Lang Whitaker of SI.com has to say? Really guys, people need to not take everything so personally around the Duke-dom.

billybreen
12-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Not to be a jerk, but who the h**l cares what Lang Whitaker of SI.com has to say? Really guys, people need to not take everything so personally around the Duke-dom.

You may be selling that to the wrong crowd. After all, no one takes the little slights more personally than our hosts here at DBR, blessed be their names. ;)

OldPhiKap
12-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Everything is Duke's fault.

Global Warming.
Drought in the South.
Nixon. (OK, maybe we did that one).

The sooner we all accept that fact, the sooner they'll all go away.

rsvman
12-17-2007, 04:31 PM
You even get sick of ice cream if you eat it every day.

Not my father-in-law.

Perhaps that explains why he died of a heart attack in his 50s.

Classof06
12-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Look, I know Dukie V didn't get that name for no reason. However, he touts the Holes just as much as Duke when he gets the chance. Just look at who he has predicted to win the NC the last several years. Dick Vitale takes a lot of crap, but sometimes it is just not deserved in my opinion.

I agree with you; Vitale touts UNC just as much. But it's just more convenient for people to hate Duke...

OldPhiKap
12-17-2007, 05:30 PM
I agree with you; Vitale touts UNC just as much. But it's just more convenient for people to hate Duke...

^ There is truth in that. But, I think part of it comes from what he says about Duke. Particularly, when he goes on about how we do things "the right way," it implies that the other team that he is discussing does not do it "the right way."

Bottom line: our team proves itself on the court. I'm glad DV likes us but he doesn't need to bring us up in every game -- even when it's Cal St. Fullerton v. Santa Clara.

weezie
12-17-2007, 06:05 PM
"secretly" rooting against Duke? None of the millions of haters are keeping it such a secret, if you ask me.

SI is just the same old "Whiner's Gazette."

bjornolf
12-17-2007, 06:49 PM
^ Bottom line: our team proves itself on the court. I'm glad DV likes us but he doesn't need to bring us up in every game -- even when it's Cal St. Fullerton v. Santa Clara.

I was watching a Duke/Temple game a couple years back, and I clocked Dickie V talking about UNC for FIVE minutes straight! On a night when UNC wasn't even playing! 'Sup with that?

Chard
12-17-2007, 07:47 PM
"Dickie V is a front runner."

Bingo. If I had a dollar for every time Vitale has referred to Dean Smith as Michaelangelo, I could retire on Figure Eight Island.

Pish-sha! You could buy it.

bfree
12-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Check the source. SI and ESPN the Magazine are in a pretty serious battle for readers right now. I wouldn't be shocked to see digs on ESPN and Duke by extension to become (even more) commonplace.

Zeke
12-17-2007, 10:13 PM
If any of you followed the LAX stuff you know there is a BIG animosity to Duke out there. A lot of blue collar guys and State U. guys really don't like DU viscerally. Nothing new - just getting expressed more openly now. Maybe envy of the have nots against the haves

OldPhiKap
12-17-2007, 10:22 PM
I was watching a Duke/Temple game a couple years back, and I clocked Dickie V talking about UNC for FIVE minutes straight! On a night when UNC wasn't even playing! 'Sup with that?

That's just as bad, agreed. I wish Vitale would stick with the game we are trying to watch and stop throwing out references to every team he can think of.

Bob Green
12-17-2007, 10:39 PM
My TV comes with a Vitale filter that is AKA the mute button. Last year, I emailed ESPN and complained about Vitale's inability to comment on the game being played. They didn't respond.

Duvall
12-17-2007, 10:49 PM
A lot of blue collar guys and State U. guys really don't like DU viscerally. Nothing new - just getting expressed more openly now. Maybe envy of the have nots against the haves

Of course, attitudes like this might have something do with it.

jjasper0729
12-18-2007, 09:23 AM
My TV comes with a Vitale filter that is AKA the mute button. Last year, I emailed ESPN and complained about Vitale's inability to comment on the game being played. They didn't respond.

there's a thread around here somewhere (can't find it quickly) with a link to basketball prospectus i think where they talk about our start after maui. In it, the writer discusses the fact that the tv guys (one's initials are D.V.) spent so much time talking about things OTHER than the game they were supposed to be commentating.