PDA

View Full Version : Johnson's first move at Tech, steal someone else's recruit

JasonEvans
12-17-2007, 09:40 AM
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/shared-blogs/ajc/cfbrecruit/entries/2007/12/14/flowery_branchs.html

I know this kind of thing happens all the time in college football recruiting, but it has never sat well with me. The kid was committed to Middle Tennessee State but Tech continued to pursue him and they eventually got him. It just is not supposed to work that way if you ask me.

--Jason "comittments that actually mean something: reason #635 why college basketball is superior to college football" Evans

keithg
12-17-2007, 10:15 AM
"I agree!"

Sincerely, Eric Gordon

sandinmyshoes
12-17-2007, 10:16 AM
College football recruiting is brutal compared to basketball recruiting. I don't think any of the coaches are innocent of this continued recruiting, and you can never be sure until they actually sign.

freedevil
12-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Football recruiting of players seems to be just as shady as football recruiting of coaches.

Anyone else think the W. Virginia governor's comments about his (presumably) old friend Rich Rodriguez were just right on when it comes to this couching carousel stuff?

OrangeDevil
12-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Sounds like an "ethical lapse." Or is it a bit of competitive fire? This is a dilemma for Cutcliffe as well. With national signing day approaching and most of the best players verbally committed elsewhere, should Cutcliffe sit it out and wait for next year? Considering that he did not attempt to recruit many of these prospects (certainly none as the Duke coach) is he morally obligated to accept a fait accompli? What would Rick Neuheisel do? What would JIm Sumner do? I say let him recruit or we give him a pass for year one.

Jumbo
12-17-2007, 02:37 PM
I can't stress this enough: This is the world of college football. Jason mentioned it briefly, but the fact is that every program believes every recruit is still in play until signing day. That's just the way it works. Does it feel shady? Yes. But the kids are the ones who ultimately honor, or don't honor, a commitment. If you are truly "committed" to Old State U, then it shouldn't matter who comes around trying to sell you on something else. Fact is, most football recruits commit early just to try to get some of the Internet goons off their backs. The alternative would be skipping the often-meaningless "verbal commitment" and just waiting to put your signature down on Signing Day.

yancem
12-17-2007, 08:07 PM
I think that it is much worse that Rodriguez is planning on screwing WV by not coaching them for their bowl game. What does that say about a guy's commitment to his team. How pissed would you be if you were one of the WV players and your coach deserts you right before a big game. I believe that Coach Cut said that he planned on sticking with UT until after their bowl game and he is only their offense coordinator not the head coach. Much more class!

Cavlaw
12-17-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm torn on the issue, as I understand a school's desire to know how many scholarships it has to spend where, and which positions it needs to fill out in a class. However, I share the opinion of Seth Davis that the form of LOI is a bad deal for recruits (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/seth_davis/11/13/national.letter/index.html).

ArkieDukie
12-17-2007, 09:58 PM
A certain SEC school recruited players from AR about 3 years ago by claiming that the AR football program was going to be severely penalized due to violations committed during the Danny Ford regime. The claim made was that, at best, the players wouldn't get to play in a bowl game during their collegiate careers if they signed with AR. It was the same type of deal: they had orally committed to AR and then got the hard sell from Sleazy Coach X. We lost several key recruits, at least 2 of them to Sleazy Coach X. At least one other went elsewhere. AR did ultimately get penalized by the NCAA, but the penalties weren't as harsh as Sleazy Coach X told AR's recruits that the penalties would be. Some would say all's fair in love and war, but lying to recruits who have committed to a competing school in order to get said recruits for your program is beyond sleazy IMHO.

throatybeard
12-17-2007, 10:24 PM
A certain SEC school recruited players from AR about 3 years ago by claiming that the AR football program was going to be severely penalized due to violations committed during the Danny Ford regime.

OM was using that mess against State for 2 years. The sanctions were minor and had nothing to do with the current coaching staff.

OldPhiKap
12-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Please, lay off Johnson.

We looked at him early, and he made a different decision. More power to him.

We ended up much better IMO with Coach Cut. More power to us.

Go Duke, beat Tech.

ArkieDukie
12-17-2007, 11:22 PM
OM was using that mess against State for 2 years. The sanctions were minor and had nothing to do with the current coaching staff.

The OM coaches weren't the guilty parties in this case. I bet you can guess, though. I do hope that the new DU coach wasn't guilty in the OM vs State mess. (is that sufficiently convoluted?!)

Jumbo
12-17-2007, 11:41 PM
A certain SEC school recruited players from AR about 3 years ago by claiming that the AR football program was going to be severely penalized due to violations committed during the Danny Ford regime. The claim made was that, at best, the players wouldn't get to play in a bowl game during their collegiate careers if they signed with AR. It was the same type of deal: they had orally committed to AR and then got the hard sell from Sleazy Coach X. We lost several key recruits, at least 2 of them to Sleazy Coach X. At least one other went elsewhere. AR did ultimately get penalized by the NCAA, but the penalties weren't as harsh as Sleazy Coach X told AR's recruits that the penalties would be. Some would say all's fair in love and war, but lying to recruits who have committed to a competing school in order to get said recruits for your program is beyond sleazy IMHO.

Cough ... Saban ... cough.

gotham devil
12-18-2007, 04:55 AM
Some of the Tennessee people were upset about this :rolleyes:

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2007/dec/16/1217hooker/

Less than a week ago, Cutcliffe seemed unsure if quarterback Sean Renfree from Notre Dame Prep in Scottsdale, Ariz., was Vol worthy. Renfree said early last week that Cutcliffe wasn’t ready to offer a scholarship to UT and was still evaluating Renfree. There’s no such deliberation at Duke.

“He called me within a couple of hours when he took the job and offered me a scholarship to come to Duke,” Renfree said.

Renfree seemed hesitant to enter a rebuilding situation, which will be the case at Duke. Still, Cutcliffe made a strong pitch.

“He said he can assure me he’ll have one of the best (coaching staffs) in the nation,” Renfree said. “He mentioned a couple of pro guys are going to be on the staff but I don’t remember any names or specifics.”

Renfree said he’s unsure if the Vols will continue to pursue him.

“I don’t know if they’ll follow through and stick with me or if Coach Cutcliffe will just try get me to go to Duke,” Renfree said.

ArkieDukie
12-18-2007, 08:13 AM
Cough ... Saban ... cough.

Although I wouldn't put it above him.

Hint: their school colors were chosen so that the fans could wear them while hunting on weekends and at their regular jobs of picking up trash along the highway during the week. At least, that's the way the joke goes.

ArkieDukie
12-18-2007, 08:23 AM
Some of the Tennessee people were upset about this :rolleyes:

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2007/dec/16/1217hooker/

Less than a week ago, Cutcliffe seemed unsure if quarterback Sean Renfree from Notre Dame Prep in Scottsdale, Ariz., was Vol worthy. Renfree said early last week that Cutcliffe wasn’t ready to offer a scholarship to UT and was still evaluating Renfree. There’s no such deliberation at Duke.

“He called me within a couple of hours when he took the job and offered me a scholarship to come to Duke,” Renfree said.

Renfree seemed hesitant to enter a rebuilding situation, which will be the case at Duke. Still, Cutcliffe made a strong pitch.

“He said he can assure me he’ll have one of the best (coaching staffs) in the nation,” Renfree said. “He mentioned a couple of pro guys are going to be on the staff but I don’t remember any names or specifics.”

Renfree said he’s unsure if the Vols will continue to pursue him.

“I don’t know if they’ll follow through and stick with me or if Coach Cutcliffe will just try get me to go to Duke,” Renfree said.

Given Phil Fulmer's history, I find that I have very little sympathy for them in this scenario. If Renfree wasn't "Vol worthy" their objections are a bit dog-in-the-mangerish.

jacone21
12-18-2007, 09:32 AM
I think that it is much worse that Rodriguez is planning on screwing WV by not coaching them for their bowl game. What does that say about a guy's commitment to his team. How pissed would you be if you were one of the WV players and your coach deserts you right before a big game.

I think the Rodriguez move is just an indication of the "meaning" of the BCS games. If it were a quarterfinal playoff game for the National Championship, I bet he'd be there. As it is, the school's getting the money, and the game doesn't mean much, so who cares? I think it's a perfect example of how bowl games are viewed these days.

I do agree, however, that it would probably be the right thing to coach your guys to the end of the season... even if the game is just a consolation game.