PDA

View Full Version : Ole Roy quote

Duke79UNLV77
12-17-2007, 09:14 AM
“First time in the history of college basketball a guy got a concussion with no foul called. That better be all I say.”

i happened to see the play. first, i thought it should have been called a blocking foul on hansblabla. in any event, the concussion was called when he fell backwards and hit his head against the basket support. it's not like he took an elbow. he tried to take a charge, their feet got tangled, and he fell.

continuing their style from last year, unc took 3 quick shots in the last 10 seconds, despite having a 20+ point lead. are they allergic to dribbling out the clock?

by the way, does anyone know the record for career free throw attempts? i have to think that hansblabla is on pace to challenge it.

Devilsfan
12-17-2007, 09:29 AM
have worked their butts off to be on the team. This is one of their few chances to play. One of them was playing in front of many members of his family that happen to live in N.J. and don't get to see him that much let alone play for the #1 ranked team in the country. It's not like Lawson took the shots.
As far as Hanstravel is concerned, he initiates most of the contact. This time he was on the receiving end. It's unfortunate that he got hurt but he's a big boy and dishes it out without much consequence most of the time.

uncwdevil
12-17-2007, 09:49 AM
did he want them to call a foul on the camera dude? i can only assume that he didn't realize that the camera guy's knee caused the concussion, or maybe he just felt like whining

gw67
12-17-2007, 09:50 AM
I don't want to see any player hurt but that is the chance you take when you try to take a charge close to the basket. With regard to Hansbrough's play, I would take him on my team anytime. His all out effort reminds me of a young Moses Malone. Even on an off night, he got a double-double.

From ESPN records, Hansbrough has shot 658 free throws in 78 games or 8.44 foul shots per game. I went to Charlie Board to check career records for ACC players. A couple of players jumped out at me. Len Chappell, a center for Wake in the early 60's shot 897 free throws in 87 games or 10.31 free throws per game. However, the ACC player who shot more free throws per game based on my sample was a Dukie, Art Heyman. Artie shot 853 free throws in 79 games or 10.80 free throws per game in an era when there was no shot clock. Hansbrough will have to pick up the pace to come close to Heyman.

gw67

arnie
12-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Ole Roy also stated that he likes playing his OOC games on an opponents "true" home floor - not at the Meadowlands or some other more neutral court. He emphasized this in the interview I saw. Another obvious dig at his rival.

Duvall
12-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Ole Roy also stated that he likes playing his OOC games on an opponents "true" home floor - not at the Meadowlands or some other more neutral court. He emphasized this in the interview I saw. Another obvious dig at his rival.

If he wants more credit, he shouldn't schedule those road games against patsies like Rutgers, Penn and Kentucky.

sandinmyshoes
12-17-2007, 10:14 AM
While I'm sure that Roy Williams thought it should have been a charging foul, he did not actually say that. I think he was getting in a dig at the way the game was called, and he probably had a good point. It appeared to be a very physical contest. While I, and most on this board, are biased and thought it should have been a blocking foul, Williams has a legitimate point in that something should have been called. The contact was real and hard, it should have been a foul on somebody.

Also, even if Hansbrough was guilty of the foul, it was the contact that caused his injury, and Williams' point about how can there be that much contact without a foul remains a good one.

There was a lot of contact on both ends of the floor. I do not like the refs calling ticky-tack fouls and making the game a farce, but if they let things edge toward brutal then players end up getting hurt or losing their tempers with fights resulting.

dukeENG2003
12-17-2007, 10:16 AM
have worked their butts off to be on the team. This is one of their few chances to play. One of them was playing in front of many members of his family that happen to live in N.J. and don't get to see him that much let alone play for the #1 ranked team in the country. It's not like Lawson took the shots.
As far as Hanstravel is concerned, he initiates most of the contact. This time he was on the receiving end. It's unfortunate that he got hurt but he's a big boy and dishes it out without much consequence most of the time.

I don't see Jordan Davidson launching unnecessary shots at the end of the games? They should be excited to just get on the floor and wear the jersey. What should be more important, showing good sportsmanship, or wanting to get your scrubs in the stat book? Just a difference in philosophy between Duke and UNC I guess.

mpj96
12-17-2007, 10:19 AM
If he wants more credit, he shouldn't schedule those road games against patsies like Rutgers, Penn and Kentucky.

I don't think the word patsy really applies to Kentucky. That said, you don't need to move to a larger venue when Rupp arena holds 23k +.

As for Penn and Rutgers, it probably didn't hurt his squad to play at their house and I'd bet it is pretty exciting for the students at those schools (if they follow basketball) to get to see a #1 team play on their campus.

Duvall
12-17-2007, 10:28 AM
I don't think the word patsy really applies to Kentucky. That said, you don't need to move to a larger venue when Rupp arena holds 23k +.

As for Penn and Rutgers, it probably didn't hurt his squad to play at their house and I'd bet it is pretty exciting for the students at those schools (if they follow basketball) to get to see a #1 team play on their campus.

Kentucky is very much a patsy this year.

I don't see how it helps his team prepare for the NCAA tournament to play teams that won't be good enough to be in the NCAA tournament. And Rutgers and Kentucky fans have plenty of opportunities to see their team lose to good teams. Either way, Roy is still trying to get credit for his team for an accomplishment that wasn't much of an accomplishment.

Indoor66
12-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Kentucky is very much a patsy this year.

I don't see how it helps his team prepare for the NCAA tournament to play teams that won't be good enough to be in the NCAA tournament. And Rutgers and Kentucky fans have plenty of opportunities to see their team lose to good teams. Either way, Roy is still trying to get credit for his team for an accomplishment that wasn't much of an accomplishment.

It's all part of that "Carolina Class" we hear so much about.

freedevil
12-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Having your fully loaded team play games at Penn and Rutgers and thinking you've really created a challenge is like LSU's football team scheduling road games at Duke and Carolina. I don't care how loud the team's "true home venue" is or recognizable the university's name is, you're going to win. At least for the next few years.

'84 and counting
12-17-2007, 11:20 AM
The replay of the Hansbrough injury suggests to me that Coach Williams needs to work on teaching his players how to effectively take a charge. I watched the slow motion replay on ESPN, and it seems that the Rutger's player was actually pushing off with his left foot to move laterally, left to right, at the time the contact occurred. The Rutger's player's momentum was as much sideways as forward at the point of contact. Hansbrough was too upright as he drew "contact" and propelled himself backwards, into the basket support or the camera man's knee (it wasn't clear what Hansbrough hit). If Hansbrough had been in a lower stance at the time of contact, he would have simply rolled onto his back, and far out of harm's way. Too many players utilize a rigid and upright "statue" posture when taking a charge and invite potentially harmful contact. I am not suggesting that Hansbrough "flopped". He did not; however, his charge taking stance was poor.

Perhaps there should have been a call given the appearance of hard contact, but any such call could just as easily have gone against Hansbrough.

While I am a true blue Duke guy, I have to say that I love Hansbrough's style of play. He may be the hardest working player in the country. I love his work ethic. He never takes a play off. He also has an excellent "mistake/response" habit. Whenever Hansbrough makes a mistake, he immediately hustles his ^$%^$%^$% off to make up for it to be "in" the ensuing play. That characteristic makes him an amazingly valuable player.

His physical style of play (initiating contact, hitting the floor on every loose ball, aggressively seeking a body to block out on rebounds, going to the hoop with authority) makes him a great player, but also makes him vunerable to violent injuries. I, for one, hope that the hoops gods are with him and that he stays healthy. He is so fun to watch.

slower
12-17-2007, 11:44 AM
While I'm sure that Roy Williams thought it should have been a charging foul, he did not actually say that. I think he was getting in a dig at the way the game was called, and he probably had a good point. It appeared to be a very physical contest. While I, and most on this board, are biased and thought it should have been a blocking foul, Williams has a legitimate point in that something should have been called. The contact was real and hard, it should have been a foul on somebody.

Also, even if Hansbrough was guilty of the foul, it was the contact that caused his injury, and Williams' point about how can there be that much contact without a foul remains a good one.

There was a lot of contact on both ends of the floor. I do not like the refs calling ticky-tack fouls and making the game a farce, but if they let things edge toward brutal then players end up getting hurt or losing their tempers with fights resulting.

The CONTACT that directly caused the injury was NOT with the other player, but with the photographer and the basket support.

sandinmyshoes
12-17-2007, 12:00 PM
The CONTACT that directly caused the injury was NOT with the other player, but with the photographer and the basket support.

True, but, of course it's not like that basket support and the photographer leaped up to assault him. He hit them because of the contact, which was substantial and not a flop. This is the case be it his foul or that of the player driving to the basket. There should have been a call one way or the other.

Devilsfan
12-17-2007, 12:18 PM
I read your thread and are you implying that a Duke player entering the game late is a SCRUB? Anybody good enough to be on a squad must be able to play. They practice hard and make the team better.

slower
12-17-2007, 01:34 PM
True, but, of course it's not like that basket support and the photographer leaped up to assault him. He hit them because of the contact, which was substantial and not a flop. This is the case be it his foul or that of the player driving to the basket. There should have been a call one way or the other.

agreed

slower
12-17-2007, 01:40 PM
I was focusing on the wrong part of his post - sorry

captmojo
12-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Can it be possible that an impact such as what he experienced, actually have slapped the "Psycho" out of his name?:rolleyes:

vb5678
12-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Does anyone remember when we played at Carolina in Feb of 2004? I thought in that game Luol Deng was knocked unconscious at one point with no call either. Maybe Roy just has a selective memory.

AnimalFriendly
12-17-2007, 02:40 PM
"Kentucky is very much a patsy this year."

When do you think this game was scheduled? After Kentucky played Gardner-Webb? The UNC/UK series has been on for at least 5 years now and this year's game happened to be in Rupp Arena, never an easy place to win even if Kentucky does happen to be pretty down.

Duvall
12-17-2007, 02:46 PM
"Kentucky is very much a patsy this year."

When do you think this game was scheduled? After Kentucky played Gardner-Webb? The UNC/UK series has been on for at least 5 years now and this year's game happened to be in Rupp Arena, never an easy place to win even if Kentucky does happen to be pretty down.

I freely acknowledge that UNC had no way of knowing that they would be playing a patsy, however, that does not change the fact that the Heels did play a thoroughly mediocre Kentucky team this year, nor does it make Roy's attempt to portray that game as a quality win any less silly.

cspan37421
12-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Seems to me that Duke is well on its way to taking a lot of heat for OOC road game locations. If it really is the case that it is a win-win for both schools because many more tickets are sold and the pot they split is so much bigger, then it would be nice if an opposing coach or AD said so. That would answer the perception that these teams are grudgingly accepting these locations as the price to play Duke away from CIS.

Failing that, I think we take our lumps for it, justified or not. My personal opinion is that a more hostile environment (assuming it isn't physically dangerous) would better build mental toughness. This business that neutral sites better mimic NCAA tourney action - well, maybe, maybe not. Do you get the same kind of hostile crowd at MSG in December as you do elsewhere in March? I don't know, but I doubt it.

hondoheel
12-17-2007, 09:05 PM
I don't see Jordan Davidson launching unnecessary shots at the end of the games? Just a difference in philosophy between Duke and UNC I guess.

No, it's Taylor King launching 2 3s, up 40 in the final minute.

Delaware
12-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Taylor took the shots with 40+ seconds remaining in the game. There is a shot clock in college basketball last time I checked. That is legit. I have never seen in recent years Duke take a shot when they did not have to at the end of a game and the shot clock off. Taking a shot with 3 seconds left and up 20 is not classy or necessary in my book.

hondoheel
12-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Both of King's shots were early in the shot clock. Big whoop they didn't shoot with under 10 seconds, they had a regular who had already played 18 minutes and scored 14 points in the game launching 3s up 40 in the final minute, as opposed to a guy who has played 8 minutes all year taking a shot.

jimsumner
12-17-2007, 11:07 PM
FWIW, Dickie Hemric shot 1,359 free throws at Wake Forest. NCAA record.

Twigmas
12-17-2007, 11:19 PM
For those claiming that Duke always dribbles it out, please explain the following:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=260500150
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=253440251
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=270180150

Thank you.

Duvall
12-17-2007, 11:22 PM
For those claiming that Duke always dribbles it out, please explain the following:

Did you really go back through 2.5 years of game logs just for this post? That's ADORABLE.

Jumbo
12-17-2007, 11:32 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=260500150
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=253440251
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=270180150

Thank you.

The fact that you would go look up games going back 2-plus years ... oh, never mind.
This is a silly argument. For the record, I have no problems with end-of-the-bench guys launching shots in the last minutes. I think there are bigger issues in life to worry about.

Sir Stealth
12-17-2007, 11:33 PM
An ugly memory that Duke and Wake combined for less points in that game last year than Duke scored by itself tonight. Ugh.

mepanchin
12-18-2007, 01:41 AM
I think the discussion about etiquette is almost always confused and inconsistent. Carolina fans think Carolina is "classy" and Duke is "classless" because Carolina plays 5 of their 37 walk-ons for the last minute of 35 point wins and Duke has "regulars" on the floor in late game situations. Duke fans think Duke is "classy" and Carolina is "classless" because Carolina continues to try to score in late game situations whereas Duke frequently plays stall-ball to shorten the game.

At one point I even bought into this discussion, but not anymore. I think teams should play for 40 minutes in the way that will likely best benefit them for their season's success. If continuing to push the ball in a late game that is clearly won and executing break situations or secondary break situations is good practice for the team's future, then so be it. If playing a stall ball to reduce the number of possessions in the game and end it quickly benefits the team's future, then so be it.

This is just another one of those conversations that almost entirely exists in order for one fanbase to call out the other team and to laud their own team for some perceived moral superiority.

Twigmas
12-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Actually it only took about 10 minutes to look up thanks to ESPN.com. The whole "my team/fans/coach would never do that" statements really irk me, regardless of the fan base. I realize statements like that get thrown around all the time on IC and TDD, but I usually think of this board as better.

Oh, and I am a huge dork.

Highlander
12-18-2007, 10:11 AM
Actually it only took about 10 minutes to look up thanks to ESPN.com. The whole "my team/fans/coach would never do that" statements really irk me, regardless of the fan base. I realize statements like that get thrown around all the time on IC and TDD, but I usually think of this board as better.

Oh, and I am a huge dork.

Fair enough. Duke doesn't ALWAYS hold the ball at the end of a decided game. They only do it 95-97% of the time.

SharkD
12-18-2007, 01:06 PM
It was plainly obvious, from watching the replay, that Hansborough's concussion was caused by a flagrant, malicious, combative foul by Gerald Henderson -- who snuck into the arena, dressed like a basket support. [/snark]

phaedrus
12-18-2007, 01:35 PM
Both of King's shots were early in the shot clock. Big whoop they didn't shoot with under 10 seconds, they had a regular who had already played 18 minutes and scored 14 points in the game launching 3s up 40 in the final minute, as opposed to a guy who has played 8 minutes all year taking a shot.

You can't stop Taylor King from shooting threes anymore than you can stop him from breathing. It's a reflex. If we were up by 100 and he got the ball, he'd shoot a three. If someone deflected a ball to him on the bench he'd stand up and jack a three. Stopping Taylor King from shooting threes is no more possible than stopping Tyler Hansbrough from shifting his pivot foot. It's necessary for him to live.

EarlJam
12-18-2007, 02:12 PM
You can't stop Taylor King from shooting threes anymore than you can stop him from breathing. It's a reflex. If we were up by 100 and he got the ball, he'd shoot a three.

This has the feel of a Chuck Norris joke. Have you started a trend? Taylor King jokes (in the spirit of Chuck Norris)? He DOES have that "bad arse" tough guy scowl on his face too. I'll offer up a few to start things:

-Taylor King doesn't shoot threes; Taylor King performs 25-foot lay-ups.

-When Taylor King tangos, it takes THREE.

-When Taylor King reminisces about Coke commercials, he sings, "I'd like to teach the world to THREE!"

-Taylor Kings doesn't have reflexes; he has THREEflexes.

Okay, just a start. Anyone?

-EarlJam

killerleft
12-18-2007, 03:14 PM
Who's this Norris guy? Patrick Davidson's sidekick?