PDA

View Full Version : A sort of rejuvenation for Coach K this year?

dukestheheat
12-16-2007, 09:13 PM
I sense a sort of rejuvenation (or, differences in method of operation which come off to me as 'rejuvenation' or renewed vigor/optimism) in K with this year's team and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

reasons:

1) I think his style of offensive attack has changed to a degree as we're much more up-tempo.
2) He seems much more open to playing some zone defense.
3) He's rotating many players and working many combinations on offense. At times our three freshman have played simultaneously.
4) He just seems to be enjoying coaching this particular team.

Anyone else noticed a fresh vigor with Superman (K) this year?

GO DUKE! Let's have a GREAAAAAAAAAAAAT week!

dth.

Jumbo
12-16-2007, 10:12 PM
I mentioned this in the preseason (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4292), but it bears repeating: This is not a new Coach K. If anything, it's a return to a classic Coach K. Yes, he has definitely taken some concepts from his fellow coaches with Team USA. But everything else you mentioned is characteristic of Duke teams going back to the 1980s. Coach K has adapted to his personnel, and continues to do so. It just so happens that this year's team is more reminiscent of his older teams than the groups from the past few years.

Jarhead
12-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Couldn't have said it better.

dukemomLA
12-17-2007, 04:23 AM
Coach K seemed to be a bit down and 'not up to snuff' the last few years. The players? age? boredom? Who knows. But this year I feel his excitement & intensity to match my own.

I think it's partially due to USA BB -- and a new commitment to his home (DUKE BB). But also (through USA BB) a chance to step back and re-evaluate himself and his program at Duke.

It's an exciting season, win or lose. Great student/athletes (F...k Seth D.) who play hard on the court -- with GREAT fun and skill. And also work hard to.....duh....commit to their finals. GO DUKE!

Will we win every game?? Probably not. Will we win the NC -- it's a long shot (but one I'll be betting on...just in case). Again, I LOVE this team!!)

DUKIECB
12-17-2007, 09:00 AM
In my opinion the biggest reason for Coach's vigor this year is personnel. First he has the right players to run the classic Duke, Coach K system. Secondly, those players are for the most part all healthy. It has been a long time since we have had both these things happen simultaneously to get the season started.

hillsboroughduke
12-17-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm thinking having 8-9 McD's on the team would rejuvenate any coach. Been trying to research the ACC and how often that has happened. Found one other Duke team (late 90's) and perhaps two UNC teams. Anyone know of others?

Karl Beem
12-17-2007, 10:55 AM
I'm thinking having 8-9 McD's on the team would rejuvenate any coach. Been trying to research the ACC and how often that has happened. Found one other Duke team (late 90's) and perhaps two UNC teams. Anyone know of others?

Nice frist post!:o

OldPhiKap
12-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Happy locker room makes for a happy coach.

Scorp4me
12-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Thank you Jumbo. Drives me crazy when people associate the last few years of slower play or shorter rotations forced because of early defections or a missed recruit here or there with "classic Duke". Your post was spot on!

Richard Berg
12-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Coach K seemed to be a bit down and 'not up to snuff' the last few years.
Not always, certainly. He got really fired up several when we did well last year. There was lots of speculation on this BBS that he was showing more emotion than usual because of the team's youth.