PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Expectations for Coach Cut

SoCalDukeFan
12-16-2007, 05:38 PM
First of all I am delighted with the new coach. I have been critical of JA and also President Brodhead but think that the process was well done and the outcome excellent.

However I am afraid that we may get carried away. While I would love to see it, a complete turnaround in results on the football field may be a few years away. I guess Tedford turned Cal around his first year but he may have had the benefit of recruiting some JC players to help him. Coach Cutcliffe will be installing his offense with players recruited by someone else. I also think that our OL will be inexperienced.

My first expectation is that we win all of the games that we should win. We outplayed UNC-CH this year and lost and there were other games that we should have won and did not. Coach Cutcliffe says the kicking game is a top priority and I am very happy for that.

My next expectation is that we play smart well coached football. Even though we won, we let NW have too much time when the ball for the last possession. The end of the half against Notre Dame was horrible.

I am also looking for an exciting offense that pulls a big upset or two.

I hope that the recruiting, which has improved, will improve further.

I don't want to say something like 4 wins or a 500 season. I think that lots of wins and better than 500 seasons are on the way, may take a while however.

SoCal

freedevil
12-16-2007, 05:40 PM
It will take time. But my first expectation is that regardless of the score, the quality of the actual football played will be much better. Once you can stop covering your eyes, you will enjoy his team play.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-16-2007, 07:30 PM
I also think that our OL will be inexperienced.

Our OL will not be inexperienced next year. We had 5 guys start the last 2 years, and only the center leaves via graduation. The other 4 guys will be back. OL will be one of our most experienced parts. Hopefully, Coach Cut will discover that they can run well enough to execute his playbook.

As for my expectations, I never expect us to lose a game. Ever. Why play it if you don't think you can win. And I think Cut would agree with me on that, and will have his players believing it too. Sometimes, the other team beats you, but never expect to lose. That is one reason I predict 13 - 0 and 39 - 0 records for us. Why hope for less?

blazindw
12-16-2007, 07:32 PM
Our OL will not be inexperienced next year. We had 5 guys start the last 2 years, and only the center leaves via graduation. The other 4 guys will be back. OL will be one of our most experienced parts. Hopefully, Coach Cut will discover that they can run well enough to execute his playbook.

As for my expectations, I never expect us to lose a game. Ever. Why play it if you don't think you can win. And I think Cut would agree with me on that, and will have his players believing it too. Sometimes, the other team beats you, but never expect to lose. That is one reason I predict 13 - 0 and 39 - 0 records for us. Why hope for less?

I agree 100% Ozzie...you truly are a paradigm for optimism!

365Duke
12-16-2007, 08:19 PM

You got to love it:D

RelativeWays
12-16-2007, 08:21 PM
We're probably going to get beat up some next year but I'm excited nonetheless . Cutcliffe's SEC background with two good programs is the type of pedigree that can attract recruits, especially quarterbacks. I'm going to make sure to check out Duke at a couple of WW games next season (though I would have done that for Roof anyway).

Here's hoping Ted Roof gets picked up by someone as an assistant soon, if he hasn't already.

jimsumner
12-16-2007, 08:49 PM
Duke would have won 3-4 games this season with competent special teams.

Duke's 2008 schedule is significantly easier than the 2007 schedule and you can count the number of truly significant graduation loses on one hand.

If Duke can solve the special-teams woes and it Cutcliffe and staff are the upgrade that most think they are, well, I think we can see a fair number of wins on the horizon right away.

heyman25
12-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Who decided Coach Cut was an acceptable nickname. Maybe he is called that by his friends but I prefer Coach Cutliffe. He seems like the right man at the right time. Lewis and Asack should thrive under his coaching.

SoCalDukeFan
12-16-2007, 08:58 PM

I would like to see us go 13-0.

However I am not going to get down on the team if they go 12-1.

My problem is that fans might be oversold and expect miracles, and then be disappointed and turn against the program when the miracles do not develop.

Lastly, I said that one of my expectations is that we win all of the games that should win. So if we play well enough to win every game then you and I are on the same page.

SoCal

hughgs
12-16-2007, 08:58 PM
Who decided Coach Cut was an acceptable nickname. Maybe he is called that by his friends but I prefer Coach Cutliffe. He seems like the right man at the right time. Lewis and Asack should thrive under his coaching.

Because calling him Cutliffe would literally be wrong.

Lavabe
12-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Because calling him Cutliffe would literally be wrong.

Add THAT name to the Duke spelling sticky!:D

Can hardly wait to see whom Duke picks for men's soccer coach ... that'll be another one on the sticky!

Cheers,
Lavabe

DevilWolf
12-16-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm not going to get on the first poster because I see his/her point. But I'll join those who have pointed out that putting a number of "acceptable" losses on your record before the season begins just sets you up to fail. I'm a coach myself, and I have never gone into a game thinking it would be acceptable if we lost. Even if it may be one of those "learning experiences" (ie. you're going to get your butt kicked) going into the game, if you approach the game with that mindset, you'll ruin any chance you had at learning anything.

gep
12-16-2007, 10:16 PM
I would like to see us go 13-0.

However I am not going to get down on the team if they go 12-1.

My problem is that fans might be oversold and expect miracles, and then be disappointed and turn against the program when the miracles do not develop.

Lastly, I said that one of my expectations is that we win all of the games that should win. So if we play well enough to win every game then you and I are on the same page.

SoCal

I would "settle" for 7 wins and a bowl appearance:)

I also agree with your comment that fans should *not* be "oversold and expect miracles", since that won't happen... but continued improvement will go a long way to building the Duke Football Program...

Mike Corey
12-16-2007, 10:19 PM
In '08, Duke plays the following teams:

@ Home: Northwestern, Navy, James Madison, Virginia, North C*rolina, Miami and N.C. State

Away: Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Wake Forest

Coach Cutcliffe wouldn't have come to Duke if he doubted the ability of his team to win every game on its schedule. Coach Cutcliffe is at Duke to win ACC titles, and settle for nothing less.

And that home schedule, in particular, sets up favorably enough to help in accomplishing such a lofty goal.

That may be absurd, to even suggest that Duke might aspire to win all its games, let alone most of them. But Coach Cutcliffe has no incremental aspirations, but transformative ones.

He may not achieve them all as quickly as he would like, but he and his staff and players are going to give it all they've got.

Capn Poptart
12-16-2007, 10:22 PM
I agree, SoCal. But we do have a nice schedule for next year- much more manageable. And the team will be quite experienced. I can see why Ted kept pointing to 2008 and I'm sure he would have an improved record had he stuck around (yeah, I know, 2 wins would've been an improved record). So while we may get roughed up, I think the opportunity is there to get better quickly. I could see us getting 2 wins (adjusting to a new coach, new system), or 7 wins (experience, lots of home games, easier schedule, new and better coaching).

It'll be fun to watch. :)

Jarhead
12-16-2007, 10:55 PM
Looking at the list of opponents next year, and considering the potential of our team, I am very optimistic. The process has started towards correcting some of the game losing errors we made last season. We have lots of talented players with experience, and Coach Cutcliffe has the know how to bring out their very best. I cannot pick out 6 games in which we will lose, but I can pick more than 6 that I believe we can win. That's why I am optimistic.

SoCalDukeFan
12-16-2007, 11:37 PM
I'm not going to get on the first poster because I see his/her point. But I'll join those who have pointed out that putting a number of "acceptable" losses on your record before the season begins just sets you up to fail. I'm a coach myself, and I have never gone into a game thinking it would be acceptable if we lost. Even if it may be one of those "learning experiences" (ie. you're going to get your butt kicked) going into the game, if you approach the game with that mindset, you'll ruin any chance you had at learning anything.

I would hope that Coach Cutcliffe and the team approach the season with the idea of winning every game.

I also think that fan support is important. My concern is that our fans will have unrealistic expectations that may not be met and that support will be reduced.

I also can not believe that I am thinking so much and so positively about Duke football.

SoCal

speedevil
12-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Coach Cut just sounds awful, im just glad people in duke arent calling him Coach C, how original.

Sir Stealth
12-17-2007, 12:34 AM
Coach Cut just sounds awful, im just glad people in duke arent calling him Coach C, how original.

I agree that calling him Coach C would not be the way to go. Cut sounds good to me though.

DukeU3x
12-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Coach Cutcliffe wouldn't have come to Duke if he doubted the ability of his team to win every game on its schedule.

Mike, I usually agree with your writings, but come on. We would all do many things knowing the chances for perfection were non-existent.

Now, I hope Coach Cut wants to win every game, tries to win every game, and delivers the right Xes and Oes to win every game. However, if he and you are confident the team has the "ability" (your word, not mine) to win every game, you both are, with all respect and humility, delusional.

And, yes, before I am pounced upon, I know our football players, nay, all of our athletes, are all highly talented, gifted, strong, fleet afoot, big-hearted men and women who cry blue tears whenever they lose.

Bluedawg
12-17-2007, 07:20 AM
Wins next year:

Northwestern
Navy
James Madison
North Carolina
@ Wake Forest
North Carolina State

Long shots:
@ Clemson [only because it is in death Valley]
@ Virginia Tech [ditto, its at their House]
Virginia

Bluedawg
12-17-2007, 07:24 AM

I agree, even though my list is not 12-0 the games I did not list i expect to be close enough that we can win. I see zero blow outs next year.

formerdukeathlete
12-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Duke would have won 3-4 games this season with competent special teams.

If Duke can solve the special-teams woes and it Cutcliffe and staff are the upgrade that most think they are, well, I think we can see a fair number of wins on the horizon right away.

Kicking and lapses on special teams defense were problems, sure.

The more enveloping problems were the sacks, fumbles and interceptions.

Offensive production was the real issue.

Sacks, fumbles and interceptions kill momentum - eg., Notre Dame game.

We gave away leads and gave away games and were not able to get back into games because of these more insidious problems in our offensive execution.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Wins next year:

Northwestern
Navy
James Madison
North Carolina
@ Wake Forest
North Carolina State

Hmmm. Let me count. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. That would make us bowl eligible. And really pss off our Big Four rivals! Sweet!:D

Mike Corey
12-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Mike, I usually agree with your writings, but come on. We would all do many things knowing the chances for perfection were non-existent.

Now, I hope Coach Cut wants to win every game, tries to win every game, and delivers the right Xes and Oes to win every game. However, if he and you are confident the team has the "ability" (your word, not mine) to win every game, you both are, with all respect and humility, delusional.

And, yes, before I am pounced upon, I know our football players, nay, all of our athletes, are all highly talented, gifted, strong, fleet afoot, big-hearted men and women who cry blue tears whenever they lose.

DukeU3X,

I believe I failed quite mightily.

Of course, you're right. I don't think anyone believes that Duke has the ability to go undefeated right out of the gate...and for me to have insinuated as much is certainly delusional. Mea culpa.

This is what I should have argued: I do believe Coach Cutcliffe is of the opinion that Duke already has the ability to win each individual game it will partake in. Or rather, I know that Coach Cutcliffe is not coming into this with the expectation that wins won't come for a few years. He's studied enough tape to be of the opinion that there is enough skill in Durham to not only be competitive against every team they face in '08, but to win.

But you're absolutely right. And I'll go further and say it was irresponsible of me to suggest that an undefeated season should be a goal out of the gate.

I do think it will be reasonable--and warranted--for Duke to go into every game expecting to win it, and I'm confident that Coach Cutcliffe and his incoming staff will do everything it can to put the players in the best position to do so week and and week out.

Hopefully it won't be long before my uber-optimistic delusions of grander are mere illusions from the past.

Jarhead
12-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Wins next year:

Northwestern
Navy
James Madison
North Carolina
@ Wake Forest
North Carolina State

Long shots:
@ Clemson [only because it is in death Valley]
@ Virginia Tech [ditto, its at their House]
Virginia

In an earlier post I said, "I cannot pick out 6 games in which we will lose, but I can pick more than 6 that I believe we can win." You picked six, and I would add Vanderbilt as a win. I agree with your long shots, but I am hopeful.

Jarhead
12-17-2007, 11:58 AM
As speedevil suggests, Coach Cliffe sounds like a winner to me.

Troublemaker
12-17-2007, 11:58 AM
A bowl game within 5 years, and two bowl games in the 5 years after that.

sandinmyshoes
12-17-2007, 12:01 PM
The only expectation I have is for improvement. I'd like a lot, and quickly, but I'll take lot slow and steady.

Trinity84
12-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Hmmm. Let me count. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. That would make us bowl eligible. And really pss off our Big Four rivals! Sweet!:D

At the risk of being the Lowell Wicker in the punch bowl, Ozzie, is James Madison a 1-A school? If not, we will need one more win to get to "bowl eligible" status.

GrayHare
12-17-2007, 12:50 PM
is James Madison a 1-A school?

No, NCAA Division I Championship Subdivision (I-AA) (jmusports.com (http://www.jmusports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14400&KEY=&SPID=8113&SPSID=71224))

Ima Facultiwyfe
12-17-2007, 01:04 PM

I hope "Cut" never catches on. It's dumb. The man deserves the respect and effort to call him by his name.

Love, Ima

cbfx3
12-17-2007, 01:12 PM
9 wins.. mark it down..

we have much better than average QB .. OL will be more experienced .. if kicking game turns around that will be key. Defense whould tighten up too.. What would out record have been this year if we hada won all the games we were in?

Bluedawg
12-17-2007, 01:16 PM
DukeU3X,

I believe I failed quite mightily.

Of course, you're right. I don't think anyone believes that Duke has the ability to go undefeated right out of the gate...and for me to have insinuated as much is certainly delusional. Mea culpa.

This is what I should have argued: I do believe Coach Cutcliffe is of the opinion that Duke already has the ability to win each individual game it will partake in. Or rather, I know that Coach Cutcliffe is not coming into this with the expectation that wins won't come for a few years. He's studied enough tape to be of the opinion that there is enough skill in Durham to not only be competitive against every team they face in '08, but to win.

But you're absolutely right. And I'll go further and say it was irresponsible of me to suggest that an undefeated season should be a goal out of the gate.

I do think it will be reasonable--and warranted--for Duke to go into every game expecting to win it, and I'm confident that Coach Cutcliffe and his incoming staff will do everything it can to put the players in the best position to do so week and and week out.

Hopefully it won't be long before my uber-optimistic delusions of grander are mere illusions from the past.

I agree. teams with a winning tradition do that.

Bluedawg
12-17-2007, 01:20 PM
In an earlier post I said, "I cannot pick out 6 games in which we will lose, but I can pick more than 6 that I believe we can win." You picked six, and I would add Vanderbilt as a win. I agree with your long shots, but I am hopeful.

No, i listed 6 wins and 3 long shots...not losses, but long shots. That is 9 games and leaves 3. Those 3 are close games that I was not ready to call. We have the potential in my list of 9 wins minimum.

bdh21
12-17-2007, 01:20 PM
What would out record have been this year if we hada won all the games we were in?

Imagine if we had won all the games in which we were tied at some point!

Indoor66
12-17-2007, 01:21 PM

Wouldn't that be all of them? :)

Bluedawg
12-17-2007, 01:22 PM
A bowl game within 5 years, and two bowl games in the 5 years after that.

Next year...mark it down

blazindw
12-17-2007, 01:25 PM
At the risk of being the Lowell Wicker in the punch bowl, Ozzie, is James Madison a 1-A school? If not, we will need one more win to get to "bowl eligible" status.

Yes, JMU is a I-AA school (I don't do FCS/FBS designations). However, the NCAA changed the rule a couple of years ago so that you may count one I-AA opponent towards your count to bowl eligibility. This is why many teams have now started to schedule these teams every year as a tuneup game (please don't remind me of ASU/Michigan).

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Let me see, I think I've heard that prediction before.... yes, at the football banquet a year ago. What irony if Coach Roof proves to be right!

OldPhiKap
12-17-2007, 02:01 PM
My expectations are that the team next year will be fun to watch, and that if we stay healthy we could surprise a bunch of folks. As several said above, if we could kick field goals we would have won a number of games the last two years. Roof built a good foundation, and I am extremely optimistic about the new man at the helm.

I hate to put a timetable on it, but I think Coach David "2 c's" Cutcliffe said that he expected improvement sooner rather than later. I expect to be competitive in most games; to win a few conference games; and hopefully reach bowl eligibility in the next two or three years. As I sit and think about it, I talk myself into thinking that we could even get to bowl eligibility next season. But that may require more depth than we currently have. Coach keeps talking about speed being the basis of his teams; I have no real feel as for where our returning players lie on that score.

Either way, I'm stoked that people are actually TALKING about Duke football, and that it's not the end of a punch line. The kids on our team have represented us admirably, and nothing would make me happier than to see the fruits of their efforts start paying dividends immediately. We need Wally Wade filled for all the home games, and not by State and Heel fans.

Give 'em hell, Coach!!!!

Indoor66
12-17-2007, 02:13 PM
My expectations are that the team next year will be fun to watch, and that if we stay healthy we could surprise a bunch of folks. As several said above, if we could kick field goals we would have won a number of games the last two years. Roof built a good foundation, and I am extremely optimistic about the new man at the helm.

I hate to put a timetable on it, but I think Coach David "2 c's" Cutcliffe said that he expected improvement sooner rather than later. I expect to be competitive in most games; to win a few conference games; and hopefully reach bowl eligibility in the next two or three years. As I sit and think about it, I talk myself into thinking that we could even get to bowl eligibility next season. But that may require more depth than we currently have. Coach keeps talking about speed being the basis of his teams; I have no real feel as for where our returning players lie on that score.

Either way, I'm stoked that people are actually TALKING about Duke football, and that it's not the end of a punch line. The kids on our team have represented us admirably, and nothing would make me happier than to see the fruits of their efforts start paying dividends immediately. We need Wally Wade filled for all the home games, and not by State and Heel fans.

Give 'em hell, Coach!!!!

Great post and I agree with your sentiments. It is exciting. I'll have to travel north to see several games. I missed all this season, though I saw two games last year. Next year, at least three.

OldPhiKap
12-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Something I thought I'd never see:

more traffic discussing football than hoops on a game day.

Classof06
12-17-2007, 05:28 PM
I think you can expect a decent amount of improvement. How much remains to be seen. I know I'll definitely be in Durham next fall for at least a few games and I can't wait for next season!!

Funny how the dynamic changes when your alma mater actually proves its committed to its football program...

cbfx3
12-17-2007, 05:51 PM

Hehehe what I meant to say was "what would our record be if we had won all the games that were close this year?"

OldPhiKap
12-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Funny how the dynamic changes when your alma mater actually proves its committed to its football program...

As they say in my church . . . BINGO!

BamaBlueDevil
12-17-2007, 06:33 PM
As speedevil suggests, Coach Cliffe sounds like a winner to me.

I actually like "Coach C" as a nickname.

Bluedawg
12-17-2007, 11:33 PM
I actually like "Coach C" as a nickname.

With "Coach K" and "Coach P" you would think that "Coach C" has got to catch on.

devildeac
12-18-2007, 12:06 AM

Why not add uva, miami and vandy to the list of possible wins?

dukemomLA
12-18-2007, 03:36 AM
I think this is a GREAT hire! And....I think Coach Cliffe should catch on. (Although I'm not opposed to Coach C). Looking forward with anticipation and angst to other Duke hires in the coaching arena.

We have the ability to perform at the TOP level in every sport. Let's make that happen with more regularity than not.

johnb
12-18-2007, 10:31 AM
The team should work to win EACH game, but that is different from expecting to win ALL of them... While I can imagine us winning 5 or 6 games, we should be reminded that all of our opponents expect to beat us, and all will be favored by most external observers to do so (aside from the James Madison game, in which we should be favored). If we do somehow win our first few games, we might become a favorite, but that's a big if.

Further, our talent level--at least as measured by high school evaluators--is 2nd or 3rd tier and is just not close to the level of a Florida State or Virginia Tech (much less an Ohio State, LSU, or Oklahoma, teams that legitimately should try to win ALL of their games).

I do respect his ability to win games in the SEC while at Ole Miss, which is at least as great a challenge as Duke winning ACC games, but I just don't think it's reasonable to EXPECT 6 or 8 wins in 2008.

Bluedawg
12-19-2007, 08:22 AM
The team should work to win EACH game, but that is different from expecting to win ALL of them... While I can imagine us winning 5 or 6 games, we should be reminded that all of our opponents expect to beat us, and all will be favored by most external observers to do so (aside from the James Madison game, in which we should be favored). If we do somehow win our first few games, we might become a favorite, but that's a big if.

Further, our talent level--at least as measured by high school evaluators--is 2nd or 3rd tier and is just not close to the level of a Florida State or Virginia Tech (much less an Ohio State, LSU, or Oklahoma, teams that legitimately should try to win ALL of their games).

I do respect his ability to win games in the SEC while at Ole Miss, which is at least as great a challenge as Duke winning ACC games, but I just don't think it's reasonable to EXPECT 6 or 8 wins in 2008.

Sorry, disagree.

OldPhiKap
12-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Good to see him at the Pitt game in MSG. Sounds like he expects/demands to be better much sooner than later. Great to hear!!!