PDA

View Full Version : alcohol+coffee

wiscodevil
12-16-2007, 12:13 PM
what is a good spirit to add to a cup of coffee on this cold and dreary day?
recipes appreciated!

devilmacdawg
12-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Baileys. Just pour couple of tablespoons into a cup of coffee.

OR, you can go with the more traditional Irish Coffee - pour a jigger of Irish Whiskey (bourbon or scotch can work in a pinch) into the cup. Add a generous teaspoon of sugar, and stir to dissolve the sugar. Leave the spoon in the cup, and pour in the hot coffee (the spoon dissipates the heat to prevent your crystal Irish Coffee mug from cracking). Stir well. Then top with whipped cream, and do not stir it in.

DevilAlumna
12-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Kahlua is also a nice add -- since it's coffee-flavored, it just gives your regular cup o' joe a little more sweetness and punch!

I would think Amaretto would be decent, and maybe a hazlenut liqueur (Frangelica?), for a little bit less of an alcoholic kick as compared to irish whiskey.

duke98
12-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Amaretto in hot coffee is always a good bet, as is Bailey's. The nice thing about mixing booze with coffee is that it doesn't suffer too much if you go down a notch to the second-tier liquors instead of buying top-shelf.

For a great coffee-flavored drink, mix 2 parts Van Gogh Double Espresso vodka, one part Amaretto (preferably DiSaronno), and a splash of half-and-half. Shake with ice, strain, and serve in a martini glass. It's fantastic (and the recipe comes to me courtesy of a fellow Duke alum who now works as a bartender in Washington, DC).

ArnieMc
12-16-2007, 08:41 PM
My family's favorite after dinner drink is a mixture of Coffee Liquor (Lolita's is good and cheap) and dark rum (Bacardi, Captain Morgan or Myers). It's great in coffee, neat, on the rocks, and in milk - either cold or hot. In hot milk, it's like hot chocolate, but it warms you to your toes in seconds. :)

wiscodevil
12-16-2007, 09:14 PM
THANKS ALL! I didn't get to it today, but will stock up onn some of the recommended beverages here.

dukemomLA
12-17-2007, 05:15 AM
A GREAT cup of Hot chocolate with marshmallows is WONDERDFULL!! Another choicce is hot cider with a cinnamon stick, a lemon peel, or whatever. Or...during the holidays some rich, smooth Eggnog. Yum.

pacificrounder
12-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Grappa. Then you can say you've drank "caffe correto," even if the stuff tastes awful.