PDA

View Full Version : Books recommendation

chi
12-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Hi all:

(Some background info at the beginning, and a request for favor at the end)

Some of you are aware that I have just moved to Hawaii. I like the place, people, culture and all.

One of the things that I am really excited about is I recently got a chance to volunteer my time and energy for a local university women b-ball team on the mental aspect of the game, using my training in meditation, my tiny bit of knowledge on sports psychology, and my interest in sports / b-ball. This is a dream come true for me.

I am a "mental trainer" for the team. I join the team training and lead some short training sessions regularly. I also get the chance to address the team. I will seat on the bench with the team (for the first time tomorrow), and I also offered to help by acting as an assistant coach sometimes. The coach and team like what I have provided them so far.

On the b-ball side, other than being an avid fan (i.e follow the devils and read a lot of articles), I don't know much about the x and o, and coaching. I have shared with the team some of the stuff that I learned from Coach K from reading about the team and combining them with my experience / knowledge from meditation - "one play at a time", "next play", "don't show your tiredness by panting and grabbing pants" etc.

Here is where I would like to ask for your help. I have never read any book by Coach K from front to back, b-ball or coaching book. I would like to ask your favor of recommending the best two or three books for me to start with:

a) by K (particularly those that has a lot of coaching gems)
b) b-ball coaching books
c) any (b-ball) books that you think would be beneficial to me.

Thanks a lot. I am planning to write online about my experience with the team. Will let you guys know when that happen.

p/s: I am excited about Coach C and our football program as well!!!

dkbaseball
12-15-2007, 10:05 PM
Practical Modern Basketball by John Wooden. Still holds up after 40 years.

chi
12-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks a lot Dkbaseball

blueprofessor
12-17-2007, 11:00 AM
chi---the suggestion of Practical Winning Basketball by dkbaseball is excellent. Buy the 3rd edition.
Other good books are:1. Coaching Basketball Successfully(2nd edition ,as told by Morgan Wootten) by Dave Gilbert. Xs and Os.
2.John Wooden's UCLA Offense(2006). Lots of plays and strategy.
3. Blackboard Strategies(Winning Hoops,1999). Hundreds of plays.
4. Be Quick--But Don't Hurry(Hill and Wooden). Philosophy and "secrets."
5.Wooden(1997) by Steve Jamison and Wooden. Lots of reflections.
6.Basketball for Dummies(2nd edition) by Phelps( Yes, that Digger). Lots of basketball info.
If you love basketball, you may enjoy reading all.Best of luck!:) :D

GrayHare
12-17-2007, 11:29 AM
but if you're interested in the mental aspect of girls and womens basketball, you might also like "In These Girls, Hope Is a Muscle" by Madeleine Blais. It's about the 1992-93 season of the Amherst (Massachusetts) High School girls basketball team.