PDA

View Full Version : New Football Coach...congratulations Coach Cutcliffe

Bluedawg
12-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Hopefully with the announcement that the press conference for hiring David Cutcliffe is on Saturday at 5 p.m., we can officially kill this thread!

If this does indeed become reality, let me offer my congratulations to Mr. Cutcliffe and welcome him to the Duke family, and let me congratulate Joe Alleva for doing a good job on the search and doing it right.

Well then how about a new thread.

It's official David Cutcliffe will be announced at 5:00 today, according to multiple sources:

GoVols.com (http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2007/dec/14/duke-lures-away-cutcliffe/)
Tennessee offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe will become the new football coach at Duke and he will be introduced Saturday at a 5 p.m. news conference in Durham, N.C., the News Sentinel has learned.

News and Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/737/story/831539.html)

Duke University has hired Tennessee offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe as its next football coach, four sources confirmed for The News & Observer on Friday night.
Duke scheduled a news conference for 5 p.m. today to announce the hire.

Reached at his office in Knoxville, Tenn., by the N&O at 9:10 p.m., Cutcliffe sounded upbeat, but said he couldn't talk about the Duke job yet.

Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/18-907503.cfm)

David Cutcliffe will be introduced as Duke's new head football coach at a 5 p.m. news conference Saturday, a source close to the situation confirmed Friday.

grimbogey (http://roofreplacementrumors.blogspot.com/)

Friday, December 14, 2007
Its Official: Cutcliffe To Be Introduced Tommorow Afternoon

It's official. This just came into my mailbox...

** MEDIA ADVISORY **

Duke University will hold a press conference on Saturday, December 15 at 5 p.m. to announce the hiring of its new football coach.

They can't all be wrong...can they?

365Duke
12-15-2007, 09:14 AM
I have spoken to many Duke fans about this, and everyone in genuinely excited! We have made a several major steps in the right direction, and this is a big one. With the public commitment to football, new restrooms, major upgrades, and the hiring of a great man to lead us into all that. I get very excited every year for football, hoping this will be the year:rolleyes: . However I am more optimistic than ever that we are getting closer to righting this ship, and will have many years of fruit for all of this labor. Congrats Coach Cut!

Now that JA and crew have made their steps, we need to make ours. We as fans need to reciprocate and get there. I saw a poster the other day say "if they start winning, I may actually come to some games". Thats not right. If we are true fans, we should be part of the growth. Not just a casual bystander that jumps on the bandwagon. Put butts in the seats, and be happy that Duke is showing a commitment to a sport that has been lacking for some time. Now the ball is in our court.

Bluedawg
12-15-2007, 09:15 AM
One more for food measure:

WRAL (http://wral.com/sports/story/2173449/)

The Duke search committee met Friday evening to confirm the decision. Duke later sent out a statement later saying the news conference would be Saturday at 5 p.m. but did not announce the coach. WRAL, however, has confirmed the hire with multiple sources and also has obtained a copy of a separate email sent to Duke football supporters acknowledging Cutcliffe is the hire.

dcarp23
12-15-2007, 09:27 AM
Not directly in line with the rest of this thread, but I couldn't find it on GoDuke or via google. I know the team plays Vandy (remember reading that earlier), but does anyone have a link to the entire schedule?

Bluedawg
12-15-2007, 09:47 AM
I have spoken to many Duke fans about this, and everyone in genuinely excited! We have made a several major steps in the right direction, and this is a big one. With the public commitment to football, new restrooms, major upgrades, and the hiring of a great man to lead us into all that. I get very excited every year for football, hoping this will be the year:rolleyes: . However I am more optimistic than ever that we are getting closer to righting this ship, and will have many years of fruit for all of this labor. Congrats Coach Cut!

Now that JA and crew have made their steps, we need to make ours. We as fans need to reciprocate and get there. I saw a poster the other day say "if they start winning, I may actually come to some games". Thats not right. If we are true fans, we should be part of the growth. Not just a casual bystander that jumps on the bandwagon. Put butts in the seats, and be happy that Duke is showing a commitment to a sport that has been lacking for some time. Now the ball is in our court.

VERY WELL PUT.

I saw that comment and i rubbed me also. Thanks for your statement. this is a team effort, coaches, players, administration AND fans.

Jarhead
12-15-2007, 10:42 AM
The schedule is in line with the rest of the thread, but darn, it hasn't been published yet. My guess is that it hasn't been firmly established yet. Too many agencies to deal with. The TV networks and the conferences all have a say in the schedule, as do the venues, the colleges themselves, and the NCAA. Sometimes the pro leagues get involved. It is no longer simply an act of writing it on the calendar. It is a long negotiating process.

Fans definitely have a strong interest in the schedules, and must schedule their activities so they do not interfere with their fandom. My wife is also involved, she tells me. She has to wait until the schedules come out before planning our travels, family gatherings, social activities, and various projects. She rarely complains. She understands that support for one's team is a question of priorities. Duke football and hoops have a very high priority around here.

duketaylor
12-15-2007, 11:00 AM
We do have 'Bama coming in '08, yes?

BamaBlueDevil
12-15-2007, 11:28 AM

but I'm not sure. The plans I've heard are for the game to be in Atlanta or Charlotte. I sure would love to get them in Wallace Wade!!!

I have expressed my support for the hire of Coach C and I am thrilled it materialized. 365 Duke is absolutely right - it is up to US to help turn excitement into progress. I, for one, will have season tickets for the first time ever next year - and I live in Alabama. Certainly the local Devils can help fill the good ole Stadium we know and love.

GO DEVILS!!! GTHCGTH!!!

Bluedawg
12-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Another reviews (http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/shared-gen/ap/General_College_Sports_News/FBC_Cutcliffe_Duke.html) on Coach Cut:

One of the first Tennessee players Cutcliffe groomed into an NFL quarterback, Heath Shuler, praised the hiring of his former position coach because of his skills as a tactician. Shuler, now a Congressman representing western North Carolina, blossomed under Cutcliffe and was picked third overall by the Washington Redskins in 1994.

"He always talked to me about having a plan, and I took it in reference to football for so long — have a plan if the defense does this — but the real message he was sending to me was, have a plan for life," Shuler said. "There's no doubt that David Cutcliffe has a plan when it comes to being the head coach at Duke."

Everything across the board is positive...Joe et.al. has made a great choice!

rockymtn devil
12-15-2007, 12:04 PM
The schedule is in line with the rest of the thread, but darn, it hasn't been published yet. My guess is that it hasn't been firmly established yet. Too many agencies to deal with. The TV networks and the conferences all have a say in the schedule, as do the venues, the colleges themselves, and the NCAA. Sometimes the pro leagues get involved. It is no longer simply an act of writing it on the calendar. It is a long negotiating process.

Fans definitely have a strong interest in the schedules, and must schedule their activities so they do not interfere with their fandom. My wife is also involved, she tells me. She has to wait until the schedules come out before planning our travels, family gatherings, social activities, and various projects. She rarely complains. She understands that support for one's team is a question of priorities. Duke football and hoops have a very high priority around here.

The schedule should be completed already (in fact, Duke's football schedule through at least 2010 should be completed) but some schools just don't release it right away. I know Auburn doesn't, but you can see Ohio State's for the next four years on its website.

But, more importantly, great hire for Duke. Coach Cut was given a raw deal at Ole Miss where he had very good success (SEC West Co-Champs in 2003 with eventual National Champion LSU) and has revived the UT offense that he built in the 90s. Now if we can just get a film session with the Mannings for our QBs sometime during the offseason!

Nacho
12-15-2007, 01:25 PM

I could not find the future schedules on goduke.com, but the following is at
http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_schedules/duke_future.htm

Alabama is listed as a 2010 game at a "neutral" site, even though I think it is a Duke home game. I think it would be more important to play them in WW if teh contract allows. 'Bama does have an open date they are trying to fill in 08 since UTEP cancelled their scheduled game at 'Bama. (Just speculating, but maybe UTEP Coach Mike Price did not want to return to Tuscaloosa)

Games and dates are subject to change.... just ask Michigan, which was scheduled to play LSU in Ann Arbor to open the season this year. LSU had to change a conference game with Miss St (for ESPN) thus leaving the Wolverines with an open date for the coming 2007 season that they were able to fill with....

Appalachian State University....

the rest, as they say, is history....

9-6 Northwestern
9-13 Navy
10-25 @ Vanderbilt
TBA James Madison
-----
Virginia
@ Georgia Tech
North Carolina
Miami FL
@ Virginia Tech
@ Clemson
@ Wake Forest
North Carolina State

in 2009, Maryland replaces Clemson in the home and home conference schedule
in 2010, BC replaces NCSU
in 2011, FSU replaces Maryland

throatybeard
12-17-2007, 01:10 AM
I love this guy already. From the AP story:

He said Duke called last Tuesday to offer him an interview, and he was so enthusiastic he drove nearly all night from Knoxville to Durham, arriving at his hotel room at 2:30 a.m., sneaking into Wallace Wade Stadium the next morning and walking the campus before meeting with Alleva.

ArkieDukie
12-17-2007, 06:10 AM
I'm extremely excited by Coach C and everything he's saying. It makes me want to attend a football game! If they're playing Vandy in Nashville, that's doable - it's only 5 ... uh, ... 6, yeah, that's right ... 6 hours away from here by car.

Bluedawg
12-17-2007, 07:10 AM
I love this guy already. From the AP story:

He said Duke called last Tuesday to offer him an interview, and he was so enthusiastic he drove nearly all night from Knoxville to Durham, arriving at his hotel room at 2:30 a.m., sneaking into Wallace Wade Stadium the next morning and walking the campus before meeting with Alleva.

"sneaking into Wallace Wade Stadium " Just a little bit of journalistic license since WW is only closed on game day.

Bob Green
12-17-2007, 07:24 AM
2008 is the last year of our current series with Navy. Army takes their place in 2009 & 2010. The 2009 game is at WW and 2010 at West Point.

365Duke
12-17-2007, 04:58 PM
I could not find the future schedules on goduke.com, but the following is at
http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_schedules/duke_future.htm

Alabama is listed as a 2010 game at a "neutral" site, even though I think it is a Duke home game. I think it would be more important to play them in WW if teh contract allows. 'Bama does have an open date they are trying to fill in 08 since UTEP cancelled their scheduled game at 'Bama. (Just speculating, but maybe UTEP Coach Mike Price did not want to return to Tuscaloosa)

Games and dates are subject to change.... just ask Michigan, which was scheduled to play LSU in Ann Arbor to open the season this year. LSU had to change a conference game with Miss St (for ESPN) thus leaving the Wolverines with an open date for the coming 2007 season that they were able to fill with....

Appalachian State University....

the rest, as they say, is history....

9-6 Northwestern
9-13 Navy
10-25 @ Vanderbilt
TBA James Madison
-----
Virginia
@ Georgia Tech
North Carolina
Miami FL
@ Virginia Tech
@ Clemson
@ Wake Forest
North Carolina State

in 2009, Maryland replaces Clemson in the home and home conference schedule
in 2010, BC replaces NCSU
in 2011, FSU replaces Maryland

or

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/college_football_2008_schedules/duke.htm

2008 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE
DATE OPPONENT

8-30-08 JAMES MADISON
9-6-08 NORTHWESTERN
9-13-08 NAVY
10-25-08 at Vanderbilt
TBA VIRGINIA
TBA at Georgia Tech
TBA NORTH CAROLINA
TBA MIAMI FL
TBA at Virginia Tech
TBA at Clemson
TBA at Wake Forest
TBA NORTH CAROLINA STATE

Only reason I ask is, I have a friend who is getting tickets for Christmas, and the sooner he ask off for home games the better.:D

OldPhiKap
12-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Next on the agenda -- stop selling our home games to "neutral sites".

PLEASE!!!