PDA

View Full Version : Cutcliffe Press Conference

jimsumner
12-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Duke has called a press conference tomorrow at 5:00 P.M. to announce its new football coach.

FYI.

stals
12-14-2007, 10:00 PM
It looks like we have great new coach. Welcome coach Cutcliffe! A new era for Duke Football has arrived. Congratulations to Joe Alleva, the search committee and the Duke administration for committing to a football program of excellence..

cbfx3
12-14-2007, 11:07 PM
I for one think this is a fantastic hire.

OrangeDevil
12-15-2007, 12:04 AM
I hope that all Duke fans and friends will join together and welcome Coach Cutcliffe and his soon to be staff as they begin the task of rebuilding the football program at a critical juncture in its history. They deserve our support. I encourage all who are within reasonable driving distance to make a special effort to attend next year's games, especially those at Wallace Wade. Nothing will display our support more than a full house of vocal enthusiastic fans. Go Duke!

Lavabe
12-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Duke has called a press conference tomorrow at 5:00 P.M. to announce its new football coach.

FYI.

Looks like a good hire.

Here are three sets of questions I hope will come up at the press conference:

1) How will the new coach measure success at Duke? Follow-up: What are his specific goals in what sort of time frame?

2) What sort of grace period do we have before we should expect meaningful results?

3) How long before no one takes pot shots* at Duke in the fall?

Cheers,
Lavabe

*[NOTE: Example of pot shot yesterday in Atlanta: the Sports talk folks in amazement that Hue Jackson would interview at Duke. Same deal when Johnson's name was brought up in re Tech's job. He's looking at Duke?]

Bluedawg
12-15-2007, 09:56 AM

FYI.

You will give us a review..correct?

365Duke
12-15-2007, 10:05 AM
that it will be on local TV. Surely it will be on the WRAL website with a live stream. At least the Roof dismissal was. I will keep a look out for one today, and post a link.

dcarp23
12-15-2007, 01:30 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1352881

OZZIE4DUKE
12-15-2007, 01:55 PM
As linked on another thread, it is available free online here:
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1352881

365Duke
12-15-2007, 02:54 PM
For sure is on locally @ News 14 Time Warner.

365Duke
12-15-2007, 03:03 PM
http://wral.com/sports/story/2173449/

Also article states that Cut will bring 2 of his assistants with him. And his salary has been confirmed @ 1.5 mil.

Bluedawg
12-15-2007, 04:38 PM
http://wral.com/sports/story/2173449/

Also article states that Cut will bring 2 of his assistants with him. And his salary has been confirmed @ 1.5 mil.

Actually they are two Tennessee assistants since he wasn't the HC they weren't his at the time ;)

Dopeshop
12-18-2007, 11:59 AM
It's not fair to make judgments on snippets of film particularly about individuals with whom you have spent little or no time. Nevertheless, I've watched the press confr. twice now and here goes:

1. Pres Brodhead---It is so hard for him to be one of the guys. Maybe it's too much Yale or too much academia or aloofness or something, but he struggles . Uncle Terry could talk to anyone at any level and so could Nan .I've read some of his speeches and they are terrific, but the delivery and persona seems to dilute the message;

2. Joe Alleva --- I've always thought he seemed under -qualified for the AD job. Some good results ,but doesn't project competence or leadership at least in the public speaking arena. I've really been down on Feinstein because I think he has sacrificed journalistic integrity in his diatribes against Alleva /Brodhead /Lacrosse etc. But he has a consistent theme that Joe Alleva would never be the AD IF he had not been Coach K's racquetball partner... and he may have something.

3. Coach Cutliffe... He was a welcome tonic.I loved the family presence,the ref to Coach K ,no notes, the pick-up truck drive from Knoxville,the impressions of the campus (no Trash!) and most everything . I'm 67 years old , but after his emphasis on speed , I taped my ankles and went out in the front yard to work on wind sprints ! I'm hooked.

Scoring Point
12-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Agree on Brodhead, but disagree on the comparison with Nan. Though undoubtedly impressive and confident in most settings, in the few times I saw her up close at sporting events, she seemed visibly uncomfortable and forced. To be fair, the same could be said of Brodie. Uncle Terry was a different story, though.

Duvall
12-18-2007, 12:48 PM
The most important element of a university president's performance is, of course, looking comfortable at sporting events.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-18-2007, 01:02 PM
It's not fair to make judgments on snippets of film particularly about individuals with whom you have spent little or no time. Nevertheless, I've watched the press confr. twice now and here goes:

1. Pres Brodhead---It is so hard for him to be one of the guys. Maybe it's too much Yale or too much academia or aloofness or something, but he struggles . Uncle Terry could talk to anyone at any level and so could Nan .I've read some of his speeches and they are terrific, but the delivery and persona seems to dilute the message;

2. Joe Alleva --- I've always thought he seemed under -qualified for the AD job. Some good results ,but doesn't project competence or leadership at least in the public speaking arena. I've really been down on Feinstein because I think he has sacrificed journalistic integrity in his diatribes against Alleva /Brodhead /Lacrosse etc. But he has a consistent theme that Joe Alleva would never be the AD IF he had not been Coach K's racquetball partner... and he may have something.

3. Coach Cutliffe... He was a welcome tonic.I loved the family presence,the ref to Coach K ,no notes, the pick-up truck drive from Knoxville,the impressions of the campus (no Trash!) and most everything . I'm 67 years old , but after his emphasis on speed , I taped my ankles and went out in the front yard to work on wind sprints ! I'm hooked.

I have had the opportunity to observe Mr. Brodhead in a variety of situations since his arrival on campus and concur with what you have to say. He seems ill at ease speaking to groups and individuals. He has yet to wear school colors or a school jacket, something Uncle Terry fell into right away. I mean no disrespect, but the man appears like a seventh grade boy who's moved to a new school and doesn't know how to fit in. In management and administrative courses I often heard the term "presence" applied as an important quality for an effective leader to have. I haven't witnessed it in a Duke president since Terry Sanford. The historical background Al Feathestone made use of in his article about how the new football coach was introduced is also a good frame of reference for the qualities we should expect in our university administrators. How does the present crop compare to Dean Wannamaker or Dean Baldwin or President Few?

Time will tell what sort of legacy Joe Alleva leaves at Duke.

Coach Cutcliffe is a refreshing arrival on the scene. He does, in fact, demonstrate what "presence" looks and sounds like. He's served at schools where traditions are understood and used to strengthen all sorts of ties and loyalty, most in healthy ways. He can teach us volumes if we listen!

throatybeard
12-18-2007, 02:11 PM
The most important element of a university president's performance is, of course, looking comfortable at sporting events.

Duvall's on fire today.